Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2014, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: skj
I'm making this thread a wiki since there are issues that keep getting repeated (breakfast and transportation from/to CDG). Feel free to add whatever you feel is important - stick to facts of please and not one off exceptions (eg if you get an upgrade to the Presidential Suite on an award stay without any status - that's definitely a one off that doesn't belong in the WIKI - obviously you can do a regular post on it).

Public transport to the hotel from CDG

The best option is to take the Roissy bus to Opera. From there, the hotel is about a 5 minute walk.

The next best option is to take RER B to Chatelet-Les Halles. All trains from Roissy/CDG head south into Paris so no worries there. Some go express all the way into Paris (Gare du Nord, so Chatelet-Les Halles is the second stop); others are locals, in which case there are a lot of stops; some are half-express, half-local ... but all stop at Chatelet-Les Halles; and there is no point waiting for an express because it is rare if ever that an express will overtake a local. So get on whatever comes first. At Chatelet-Les Halles, transfer to RER A for one stop to Auber (which is joined to Opera station). You will be heading westbound, toward the termini St. Germain-en-Laye/Poissy/Cergny. You have to go up the stairs and back down for the Auber-bound train. Do not race across the platform for the RER B because that will be heading eastbound, to Gare de Lyon, Nation, Vincennes (and, depending on which one you get on, eventually Eurodisney!) The walk from the Auber exit closest to the RER stop takes about 10 minutes.

Public transport to the hotel from Orly

Take the Orlyval train to its end at Antony, then switch to RER B to Chatelet-Les-Halles and continue as above. In this case you can just cross the platform from the RER B to get the RER A headed to Auber.

Breakfast

The breakfast at Cafe Jeanne is free for Globalist members but is 40-50 euros per person otherwise. A modified but still very good version of this buffet breakfast is also available in the room and is also free for Globalists. Tips are not covered but then again the theory in France is that the service charge is in the price.

Museum tickets & pass from the concierge

You can buy "skip the line" tickets to the Louvre or Orsay for 18€ each, which is higher than the regular tickets via the Louvre & Orsay websites. But being able to "skip the line" obviously adds some value. They will also sell you the two day Paris Museum Pass for 55€. That is a 7€ markup.

Phone/data recommendations:
Lebara worked really well for me. What you need to do:
• You must unlock your phone (you can do this for free online with ATT through their website if you are out of contract)
• Order free SIM card at Lebara.fr a few weeks before your trip. I don’t think it took more than 2 weeks for my SIM card to arrive
• Activate SIM card at https://www.lebara.fr/activate-sim-detail?isoCode=en_GB or search “activate SIM” at Lebara.fr
• Load your SIM card with what you need. I paid 10 euro for 3G of data, unlimited SMS and local calls for 10 days (this should be plenty for most tourists)
LeFrench Mobile did not work so well for me: I paid 20-30 euro for local and international calls for my sister but was only able to make local calls and SMS

restaurant recommendations:
Nearby:
(We're here on 1 Oct 2021 and it appears this restaurant is closed permanently ...) Le Cap Bourbon- good, inexpensive, our server was nice and attentive (by French standards), great local crowd, menu has English translation
We ate a local Thai restaurant - Yo - its about a 5 minute walk from the hotel and very busy. I had a guinea fowl green curry - a first for me. Very good food and friendly service.

Other:
L'Avant Comptoir is a wine bar with great,relatively cheap eats and a great atmosphere and friendly, English-speaking staff. Standing room only and tight.

Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2015, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by farnorthtrader
My experience with Paris cab drivers and Paris traffic on this route, I would definitely use Uber. Took less time and about the same cost for Uber black as for Paris cab, and the Uber driver was a lot nicer!
Yeah our Uber drivers were pretty much great overall in Paris!
Old Jul 18, 2015, 3:16 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Sixt Platinum
Uber will definitely be my choice. Love them here in the states!
Old Jul 19, 2015, 2:56 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold.
Another +1 for uber in Paris, very easy and much cheaper than regular cabs
Old Jul 19, 2015, 5:02 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by cop35758
Uber will definitely be my choice. Love them here in the states!
you know for someone that has traveled internationally for 40 years, many in the service of our country (USA) I would never ride in something that is totally unregulated, just saying. That does not mean that there are not honest drivers working for Uber. But we live in a unique time
Old Jul 19, 2015, 6:49 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Skip to last sentence/paragraph for the question

I don't like cabs. Like that whatever in Green Eggs and Ham, I don't like them here. I don't like them there. I do not like them anywhere. I do not like cabs. So I don't like them in Paris.

I'm also a big fan of the RER. Coming in to Paris, it's part of what gets us feeling like we're in Paris.

But... with all this said... it's true that they are no closer to widening the tunnel north through Paris than we are to widening the tunnel under the Hudson into Penn Station (okay, they doubtless are closer than we are, by I digress...); so especially on getaway morning, it can feel a bit dicey banking on the RER when you have a plane to catch. Also, though it's kind of a kick emerging from the metro and sauntering into the PHV, it's can be a bit too much of a rapid decompression the other way around for Madame (French for DW in flyertalk-talk). So lately we have been grabbing the cab when exiting PHV for CDG.

Strangely, I can't complain too much about these rides. The cabs arrive facing south which gives them an excuse to turn west in the next block and then go around (contourner sounds so much better!) Madeleine and from there they are basically bisecting the 8th arrondissement on Malesherbes until the 17th and the peripherique. This is a bit of backpedaling compass-wise hence meter-padding, but that is what I have come to expect with cabs. Perhaps the price of regulation...? But, again, I digress, and I'm not much of a driver, especially not in Paris, so maybe this is the sensible way to get up to the peripherique from Madeleine and the environs. Which brings me to my question:

What route are the Uber drivers taking from PHV to CDG?
Old Jul 19, 2015, 7:36 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
@Biggie Fries: Can't answer directly, since they probably take different ones at different times on different days. But I would submit that it's probably no more or less direct than what Roissybus chooses at the same time departing from rue Scribe - a couple of blocks away - with the exception of Roissybus possibly stopping first at a terminal other than yours.

Last edited by Firewind; Jul 20, 2015 at 10:42 am
Old Jul 19, 2015, 11:22 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I thought Uber is (at least temporarily, maybe permanently) shut off in France -- can someone verify one way or the other?

The taxi from Gare du Nord has the problem that the station folks have managed to work it out so there is almost always a queue even during non-busy times, mainly because the loading area is too small and inefficient. But if Uber is history, it's really your only choice.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I thought Uber is (at least temporarily, maybe permanently) shut off in France -- can someone verify one way or the other?

The taxi from Gare du Nord has the problem that the station folks have managed to work it out so there is almost always a queue even during non-busy times, mainly because the loading area is too small and inefficient. But if Uber is history, it's really your only choice.
http://www.wsj.com/articles/uber-to-suspend-one-of-its-main-services-in-france-1435920525

Uber pop seems to be shut down but Black is still on.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 8:56 am

Highly suggest Uber in Paris, just came back from the PHV last week (the President of Mexico was staying on my floor at the PHV while we were there on honeymoon). Uber was by far the most efficient/nicest way to get around if you're looking for a car service. We tried taxis twice, and both times, the drivers were loud on their phones and the cars were dirtier and older.

We used uberX to get around and every experience was great, all the drivers were extremely professional in both appearance and behaviors, and the vehicles were a large step above the cabs. Cost was similar if not cheaper as well.

On the PHV:

Overall, yes the hotel is opulent and a nice place to stay, however nothing blew me away. Location was good, staff was friendly enough, service was good, but there was no experience here that was a 'step above' any of our other stays for the honeymoon, we actually liked the May Fair hotel in London better as far as service goes. It was fun to splurge for the honeymoon, however unless I had a surplus of points I didn't mind throwing away I'd probably stay somewhere else and save the additional cost.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 10:45 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Originally Posted by nrdk
... just came back from the PHV last week (the President of Mexico was staying on my floor at the PHV while we were there on honeymoon).

[...]

we actually liked the May Fair hotel in London better as far as service goes. It was fun to splurge for the honeymoon, however unless I had a surplus of points I didn't mind throwing away I'd probably stay somewhere else and save the additional cost.
1) I'll wager that HE was glad to be there last week. (...as, back home, a denizen of his coincidentally departed without so much as an "¡Hasta Luego!")

2) I submit that the May Fair is in a league of its own.

Last edited by Firewind; Jul 20, 2015 at 12:14 pm Reason: Whoops - thinking of Claridge's IN Mayfair ... I'll be getting my coat.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 11:54 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
PLEASE - no more Uber discussions!

Thanks

Markie - Co-Mod
Old Jul 21, 2015, 9:32 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by Markie
PLEASE - no more Uber discussions!

Thanks

Markie - Co-Mod
^^^^^^^^^^
Old Jul 24, 2015, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by EsquireFlyer
If you don't need the stay credit, I would just do a points booking. IMO the "suites" used for DSU at this property are a waste of a DSU. All you get is a larger room (not 2 rooms).

I stayed here over New Year's, paid over 900 EU/night for a few nights, plus a DSU, and the suite was crap compared to what you get for a DSU at other Park Hyatts (DC, Dubai, Vienna!!!). I spoke to the mgmt. about it and they don't care because they make lots of money regardless.
What if I do 1 night with P+C And 4 nights points. Will they move me? :-)
Old Jul 25, 2015, 9:13 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
Does anyone know if it's OK to book an award room (non-Deluxe) room (Park Queen) and check-in with a 3 year old and another adult?

It seems the reservation system only allows 2 people to stay in the lowest room type, which is the only available for payment using Gold Passport points.

An additional child seems to be allowed in the Park Deluxe King. I am Diamond, so I assume I would likely get upgraded. Does anyone have any experience with this? I would like to book 2 nights using the 2 free nights gained from the Hyatt credit card. But the last thing I want to happen would be to pay some exorbitant extra person fee for my 3 year old.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 10:26 am

Programs: UA - 1K, Marriott - Gold, Hilton - Gold, Global Entry,
Originally Posted by MattFS218
Does anyone know if it's OK to book an award room (non-Deluxe) room (Park Queen) and check-in with a 3 year old and another adult?

It seems the reservation system only allows 2 people to stay in the lowest room type, which is the only available for payment using Gold Passport points.

An additional child seems to be allowed in the Park Deluxe King. I am Diamond, so I assume I would likely get upgraded. Does anyone have any experience with this? I would like to book 2 nights using the 2 free nights gained from the Hyatt credit card. But the last thing I want to happen would be to pay some exorbitant extra person fee for my 3 year old.
They seem to be sticklers on the max occupancy, but you could try calling them about it. I had upgraded to a suite and called to see if we could have 4 in the room - 2 adults, a 4 yr old and a 2 yr old and they wouldn't allow it. They ended up giving me a reasonable deal on a connecting room.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.