Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2014, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: skj
I'm making this thread a wiki since there are issues that keep getting repeated (breakfast and transportation from/to CDG). Feel free to add whatever you feel is important - stick to facts of please and not one off exceptions (eg if you get an upgrade to the Presidential Suite on an award stay without any status - that's definitely a one off that doesn't belong in the WIKI - obviously you can do a regular post on it).

Public transport to the hotel from CDG

The best option is to take the Roissy bus to Opera. From there, the hotel is about a 5 minute walk.

The next best option is to take RER B to Chatelet-Les Halles. All trains from Roissy/CDG head south into Paris so no worries there. Some go express all the way into Paris (Gare du Nord, so Chatelet-Les Halles is the second stop); others are locals, in which case there are a lot of stops; some are half-express, half-local ... but all stop at Chatelet-Les Halles; and there is no point waiting for an express because it is rare if ever that an express will overtake a local. So get on whatever comes first. At Chatelet-Les Halles, transfer to RER A for one stop to Auber (which is joined to Opera station). You will be heading westbound, toward the termini St. Germain-en-Laye/Poissy/Cergny. You have to go up the stairs and back down for the Auber-bound train. Do not race across the platform for the RER B because that will be heading eastbound, to Gare de Lyon, Nation, Vincennes (and, depending on which one you get on, eventually Eurodisney!) The walk from the Auber exit closest to the RER stop takes about 10 minutes.

Public transport to the hotel from Orly

Take the Orlyval train to its end at Antony, then switch to RER B to Chatelet-Les-Halles and continue as above. In this case you can just cross the platform from the RER B to get the RER A headed to Auber.

Breakfast

The breakfast at Cafe Jeanne is free for Globalist members but is 40-50 euros per person otherwise. A modified but still very good version of this buffet breakfast is also available in the room and is also free for Globalists. Tips are not covered but then again the theory in France is that the service charge is in the price.

Museum tickets & pass from the concierge

You can buy "skip the line" tickets to the Louvre or Orsay for 18€ each, which is higher than the regular tickets via the Louvre & Orsay websites. But being able to "skip the line" obviously adds some value. They will also sell you the two day Paris Museum Pass for 55€. That is a 7€ markup.

Phone/data recommendations:
Lebara worked really well for me. What you need to do:
• You must unlock your phone (you can do this for free online with ATT through their website if you are out of contract)
• Order free SIM card at Lebara.fr a few weeks before your trip. I don’t think it took more than 2 weeks for my SIM card to arrive
• Activate SIM card at https://www.lebara.fr/activate-sim-detail?isoCode=en_GB or search “activate SIM” at Lebara.fr
• Load your SIM card with what you need. I paid 10 euro for 3G of data, unlimited SMS and local calls for 10 days (this should be plenty for most tourists)
LeFrench Mobile did not work so well for me: I paid 20-30 euro for local and international calls for my sister but was only able to make local calls and SMS

restaurant recommendations:
Nearby:
(We're here on 1 Oct 2021 and it appears this restaurant is closed permanently ...) Le Cap Bourbon- good, inexpensive, our server was nice and attentive (by French standards), great local crowd, menu has English translation
We ate a local Thai restaurant - Yo - its about a 5 minute walk from the hotel and very busy. I had a guinea fowl green curry - a first for me. Very good food and friendly service.

Other:
L'Avant Comptoir is a wine bar with great,relatively cheap eats and a great atmosphere and friendly, English-speaking staff. Standing room only and tight.

Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2017, 9:41 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, United IK, AA LifPLT, Hyatt Globalist, IHG PLT AMB, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton G
Originally Posted by ruser
I never had a hotel that failed to follow-through with their apology. I wouldn't have been so disappointed (and wouldn't have posted anything) if they had not called me.

Essentially, I'm just frustrated that they kept forgetting about me. And yes, I never had that happen during my previous stays. I should mention, however that I don't make many requests so I don't interact with staff very much in general.
My two last stays at this hotel have been poor as well December and February). They refused early check-in and told me to pay for the night before Euro 350 (my corp rate), then they cancelled that reservation b/c i failed to show the night before - so i had to wait for the room anyway for them to find a new room for me the morning of my arrival. I noted that the hotel had low occupancy, so other arriving at the same time, got in their room faster. I was charged for breakfast items and it took two requests to get them refunded. Room not cleaned after several requests and like you, bags took more than 2 hours to be delivered. request for ice took a very long time and front desk staff were generally rather rude.

For me, at my corporate rate - it is a nice place to stay regardless of the service, but I would not use points or pay full rack to stay here.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 12:37 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by SethLevy
My two last stays at this hotel have been poor as well December and February). They refused early check-in and told me to pay for the night before Euro 350 (my corp rate), then they cancelled that reservation b/c i failed to show the night before - so i had to wait for the room anyway for them to find a new room for me the morning of my arrival. I noted that the hotel had low occupancy, so other arriving at the same time, got in their room faster. I was charged for breakfast items and it took two requests to get them refunded. Room not cleaned after several requests and like you, bags took more than 2 hours to be delivered. request for ice took a very long time and front desk staff were generally rather rude.

For me, at my corporate rate - it is a nice place to stay regardless of the service, but I would not use points or pay full rack to stay here.
There seems to be a growing discord with this venerable property, sad, VERY sad
Old Apr 16, 2017, 1:07 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
So, you're a Globalist and every hotel you stayed at to get to that level was worse than this? Sorry, I have some trouble believing that.
For a very basic service delivery failure followed by failed service recovery? Can't say I find it unbelievable in the least. Especially not at this property where I've seen the ball dropped a few times, even back when the property was supposed to be one of the best in town.

Bad baggage delivery problems at just this property but at no other Hyatt during the 25-60 prior Hyatt nights? Completely believable to me given many of us travel without checked baggage most/all of the time for work but are more likely to travel with checked luggage on trips using points/miles than on regular paid business trips.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 3:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by GUWonder
For a very basic service delivery failure followed by failed service recovery? Can't say I find it unbelievable in the least. Especially not at this property where I've seen the ball dropped a few times, even back when the property was supposed to be one of the best in town.

Bad baggage delivery problems at just this property but at no other Hyatt during the 25-60 prior Hyatt nights? Completely believable to me given many of us travel without checked baggage most/all of the time for work but are more likely to travel with checked luggage on trips using points/miles than on regular paid business trips.
I guess I'm not being very clear because several people seem to have misunderstood. What I said was hard to believe that one could be a Globalist (that's generally a lot of stays) and that this was the worst Hyatt (s)he stayed in. I didn't suggest what was said about the "service" was unbelievable. @:-)

Last edited by ILuvParis; Apr 16, 2017 at 5:32 pm Reason: typo
Old Apr 16, 2017, 4:40 pm

so there is a differential between bags on points versus paid ? Hmm a new level of service.

I have been as much of a supporter of the PHV as anyone here, having said that I witnessed first hand not one but three missteps in one stay last November. And they knew who I am. Claudio remembered me from Milan and the Martinez.

my next trip will try another hotel and not just because of the issues I had but it's time to try another hotel in a different part of town.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 6:09 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by edgewood49
so there is a differential between bags on points versus paid ? Hmm a new level of service.

I have been as much of a supporter of the PHV as anyone here, having said that I witnessed first hand not one but three missteps in one stay last November. And they knew who I am. Claudio remembered me from Milan and the Martinez.

my next trip will try another hotel and not just because of the issues I had but it's time to try another hotel in a different part of town.
People traveling frequently to this property for work stays are not equally likely to have lots of checked luggage to deal with as those on leisure stays at this property. And my bet is that using awards is more common for leisure stays than work stays.

If this hotel were actually flagging award stays for worse service, that would be a very low class move. But this hotel has verifiable issues other than that.

I guess I'm not being very clear because several people seem to have misunderstood. What I said was hard to believe that one could be a Globalist (that's generally a lot of stays) and that this was the worst Hyatt (s)he stayed in. I didn't suggest what was said about the "service" was unbelievable. @:-)
I'm assuming that people aren't always perfect communicators but that the person with the bad baggage related experience meant this was the worst Hyatt Hotel service failing they've had. I could be mistaken about that, as there have probably some people who only stay at a limited set of Park Hyatts and do so for enough nights to make Diamond/Globalist.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 8:13 pm

Programs: AA: 2 MM
I'm assuming that people aren't always perfect communicators but that the person with the bad baggage related experience meant this was the worst Hyatt Hotel service failing they've had. I could be mistaken about that, as there have probably some people who only stay at a limited set of Park Hyatts and do so for enough nights to make Diamond/Globalist.
Well then, it's a first world problem and I have even less sympathy! (I guess I need to state that's a joke.)
Old Apr 16, 2017, 11:01 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I guess I'm not being very clear because several people seem to have misunderstood. What I said was hard to believe that one could be a Globalist (that's generally a lot of stays) and that this was the worst Hyatt (s)he stayed in.
Maybe it was on an adjusted expectations basis.

I would rate my PHNYC stay as one of my worst Hyatt stays. I felt the service, which varied between amateurish to disinterested bordering on disrespectful simply couldn't make up for a beautiful room and outstanding breakfasts, as the latter were more or less expected, while the former was just not excusable.

By comparison (and just for example) my very quick overnight at Hyatt Herald Square, in a room the size of a closet, with Ikea quality furnishings, left no lasting impression either positive or negative.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 7:27 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, ALL Silver,, Miles&More
If this hotel were actually flagging award stays for worse service, that would be a very low class move. But this hotel has verifiable issues other than that.

When we stayed three nights at Park Vendome Easter 2015 (Reward stay, Platinum) the service was outstanding. We felt treated most attentively by two front desk team members, one gentleman speaking German (he was German), one French lady with black hair (very professional, friendly, exact) and this service level continued during the stay till last minute, by them and others. True luxury.

We arrived an hour early I think, room was not ready, and they seated us at Le Cheminee, we got champagne, cakes and coffee at no charge. Staff came and guided us to the room, baggage there already.

We were upgraded to a deluxe room and staff kept contact attentively with us / we with them at any occasion when we went through the public spaces or stayed at breakfast.

During check-in we had asked for Easter brunch at Les Orchidees, mentioning we intended to go to Meurice (had it there 2014) for brunch but now like what we see here at PHV. They told us it was already fully booked, but put us on waiting list and said they could arrange a table at Le Cheminee aside from the restaurant, and as we seemed not too happy with that solution, they said they would try everything to get us a table at Les Orchidees. We got finally one of the best tables in the restaurant (at the right behind the sweets buffet on the picture I posted here some days ago). Easter Brunch was a superb experience.

Breakfast at Les Orchidees was also superb - choices, quality and especially service.

We saw that the departements collaborated closely in organizing things, what made them very efficient in our case.

We stayed on points but felt as if we paid, got awesome service (and kept close personal contact with the staff, and they with us - remember, this is France), and the hotel got a least some renevue by our brunch+champagne, breakfast+champagne, bar and other consumptions at night, room service meals, so I think it was a fair deal. Not to forget that due to this positive experience I will recommend this hotel forever and it influences my opinion on Hyatt hotels in general.

I cannot imagine that Hyatt Corp. would allow their flagship property to deteriorate guest service, but I am not involved in their business.

Park Vendome Easter present 2015

Name:  IMG_0227_.jpg
Views: 662
Size:  664.7 KB
Old Apr 17, 2017, 11:40 am

That was 2015 this is 2017 service began it's downward spiral in 2016 and it seems to continue

Frankly after several months of "Globalist" (20 stays) I am not seeing any improvement let alone suites. Hell one has to ask the desk at check in for anything. The last five stays I was assigned a regular room that I had reserved or "MY Hyatt Concierge " reserved and had to ask for an upgrade. I mean really who the hell do they think their kidding? I really was giving this whole thing a chance but you know I am beginning to have some serious reservations ( no pun) in the program
Old Apr 17, 2017, 12:19 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by submonte
I cannot imagine that Hyatt Corp. would allow their flagship property to deteriorate guest service
Well that settles it then. Since you had a good experience two years ago, the comments based on stays within the past month or two must be all wrong.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 12:34 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, ALL Silver,, Miles&More
Originally Posted by Kacee
Well that settles it then. Since you had a good experience two years ago, the comments based on stays within the past month or two must be all wrong.
I did not say the posts are all wrong. Just cannot understand what is going on. Change of management, new and less experienced staff? Or they have to make more money and reduce service therefore (what is the wrong thing to do of course if they want to be top in Paris), or some general changes by Hyatt related to guest service / member treatment?
Old Apr 17, 2017, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by submonte
I did not say the posts are all wrong. Just cannot understand what is going on. Change of management, new and less experienced staff? Or they have to make more money and reduce service therefore (what is the wrong thing to do of course if they want to be top in Paris), or some general changes by Hyatt related to guest service / member treatment?
Okay, I misunderstood then and apologize.

Does anyone know if there's been a management change?
Old Apr 17, 2017, 1:06 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
LET THE ARGUING STOP HERE, please.

Markie
Co-Mod, Hyatt
Old Apr 19, 2017, 3:14 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold,IHG Plat Amb, CC Gold, Kimpton IC, United, AA, BA, Amtrak G.R.
BAD STAY AT PH PARIS!

ending a disappointing stay at the Park Hyatt Paris today-

was here for only 2 nights (on points) but was expecting much more to be honest-

the good: was upgraded as explorist to park deluxe king on first floor - courtyard view
higher floors/view room would have required a wait until 6pm (a bit late of a wait on arrival at 3pm)
the staff overall was very nice

the bad: The hotel is currently having some renovations - this was never mentioned on the website or by hotel prior to arrival - there is a letter inside the room stating it happens between 10:30am & 6pm

we heard constructions noises (hammering, power tools) after 6pm (as late as 8pm) and also as early as 9am (woke us up)

after several calls to the desk without it being "fixed", i went downstairs and met with the manager who insisted their construction was done for the day and it must be from a surrounding building

but i find it hard to believe that when i was in an interior courtyard room, with a full hallway and another bank of rooms between my room and any other building

they did offer to switch rooms but at 8pm on the last night, i was just too tired to pack up to move for one night

we also heard noises as late as 3am (that sounded like a power tool?) - it couldn't possibly be the coffee machine in another room (my spouse suggested that but I would be SHOCKED if that was the culprit)

other issues included:

all room power/lights going off and on one morning - several times (i called the desk and they said someone would come up- they never did)

was taking a shower and the hot water just disappeared mid shower - had to turn it up to full hot to get warm water (while worrying when would the scalding water hit me!!)

mattress was very uneven- it completely dipped in the middle - very strange bed/mattress -

and the finally, smoke drifting in my courtyard window, from another room?? at a non smoking hotel i believe...was very unpleasant

i will not return here - my previous Paris stay was at the Madeline and was much happier there!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.