Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2014, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: skj
I'm making this thread a wiki since there are issues that keep getting repeated (breakfast and transportation from/to CDG). Feel free to add whatever you feel is important - stick to facts of please and not one off exceptions (eg if you get an upgrade to the Presidential Suite on an award stay without any status - that's definitely a one off that doesn't belong in the WIKI - obviously you can do a regular post on it).

Public transport to the hotel from CDG

The best option is to take the Roissy bus to Opera. From there, the hotel is about a 5 minute walk.

The next best option is to take RER B to Chatelet-Les Halles. All trains from Roissy/CDG head south into Paris so no worries there. Some go express all the way into Paris (Gare du Nord, so Chatelet-Les Halles is the second stop); others are locals, in which case there are a lot of stops; some are half-express, half-local ... but all stop at Chatelet-Les Halles; and there is no point waiting for an express because it is rare if ever that an express will overtake a local. So get on whatever comes first. At Chatelet-Les Halles, transfer to RER A for one stop to Auber (which is joined to Opera station). You will be heading westbound, toward the termini St. Germain-en-Laye/Poissy/Cergny. You have to go up the stairs and back down for the Auber-bound train. Do not race across the platform for the RER B because that will be heading eastbound, to Gare de Lyon, Nation, Vincennes (and, depending on which one you get on, eventually Eurodisney!) The walk from the Auber exit closest to the RER stop takes about 10 minutes.

Public transport to the hotel from Orly

Take the Orlyval train to its end at Antony, then switch to RER B to Chatelet-Les-Halles and continue as above. In this case you can just cross the platform from the RER B to get the RER A headed to Auber.

Breakfast

The breakfast at Cafe Jeanne is free for Globalist members but is 40-50 euros per person otherwise. A modified but still very good version of this buffet breakfast is also available in the room and is also free for Globalists. Tips are not covered but then again the theory in France is that the service charge is in the price.

Museum tickets & pass from the concierge

You can buy "skip the line" tickets to the Louvre or Orsay for 18€ each, which is higher than the regular tickets via the Louvre & Orsay websites. But being able to "skip the line" obviously adds some value. They will also sell you the two day Paris Museum Pass for 55€. That is a 7€ markup.

Phone/data recommendations:
Lebara worked really well for me. What you need to do:
• You must unlock your phone (you can do this for free online with ATT through their website if you are out of contract)
• Order free SIM card at Lebara.fr a few weeks before your trip. I don’t think it took more than 2 weeks for my SIM card to arrive
• Activate SIM card at https://www.lebara.fr/activate-sim-detail?isoCode=en_GB or search “activate SIM” at Lebara.fr
• Load your SIM card with what you need. I paid 10 euro for 3G of data, unlimited SMS and local calls for 10 days (this should be plenty for most tourists)
LeFrench Mobile did not work so well for me: I paid 20-30 euro for local and international calls for my sister but was only able to make local calls and SMS

restaurant recommendations:
Nearby:
(We're here on 1 Oct 2021 and it appears this restaurant is closed permanently ...) Le Cap Bourbon- good, inexpensive, our server was nice and attentive (by French standards), great local crowd, menu has English translation
We ate a local Thai restaurant - Yo - its about a 5 minute walk from the hotel and very busy. I had a guinea fowl green curry - a first for me. Very good food and friendly service.

Other:
L'Avant Comptoir is a wine bar with great,relatively cheap eats and a great atmosphere and friendly, English-speaking staff. Standing room only and tight.

Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2017, 11:33 am

I just had a somewhat weird experience. I got an email from the hotel saying that they forgot to charge me for a stay in mid-February, and asking if they can charge my card on file. I went through my credit card statement, and it looks like they are right. (I guess I should have noticed earlier that I didn't get charged, but I didn't.) I did stop by the desk to formally check out, and I gave them my card and signed a receipt then, but it looks like they just charged me some small tax and not the full amount they should have. (It was a cash and points booking, and I'm thinking maybe the clerk thought it was all points? I was tired and rushing to the airport at the crack of dawn and didn't notice.) I'm not offended by paying what I owe, but I've never had an experience like this before. Anyone else had something like this happen?
Old Mar 23, 2017, 11:36 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by rbw5t
I just had a somewhat weird experience. I got an email from the hotel saying that they forgot to charge me for a stay in mid-February, and asking if they can charge my card on file. I went through my credit card statement, and it looks like they are right. (I guess I should have noticed earlier that I didn't get charged, but I didn't.) I did stop by the desk to formally check out, and I gave them my card and signed a receipt then, but it looks like they just charged me some small tax and not the full amount they should have. (It was a cash and points booking, and I'm thinking maybe the clerk thought it was all points? I was tired and rushing to the airport at the crack of dawn and didn't notice.) I'm not offended by paying what I owe, but I've never had an experience like this before. Anyone else had something like this happen?

You know there has been some oh so slight downward movement in service here, I noticed it the last time we came through ( December) so much so that my wife suggested maybe it's time to try maybe the Westin or one or two others. which I am inclined maybe to try this year coming through.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 11:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by rbw5t
I'm not offended by paying what I owe, but I've never had an experience like this before.
I'm impressed they contacted you in advance. Most hotels would just push the charge through on your card without any notice.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
I did "beta test" one of the new rooms for them ... a basic one. In truth, the style -- which I like -- was basically the same. Mostly freshened up. I believe that there was the equivalent of a "please do the room up now" light (as against the old habit of them leaving a card in the door, and you having to call down to get them to come back for the evening freshening up); and the tap and sink fixtures (drains etc.) had been changed.

Will check out one of the refurbished junior suites in a few weeks.
Do you have pictures? Would love to see the updates.

I hope they changed the gold carpeting in many of the rooms and suites. Always felt this was too much, plus as it was not part of the original design the carpet was so thick in terms of pile height that I had troubles closing the door in the suite. Luckily, for many of the specialty suites they chose Tai Ping (immaculate!), but I suspect many of the rooms didn't get that special treatment.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 1:51 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
No pictures (yet). Maybe a couple of weeks from now!
Old Apr 15, 2017, 2:10 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Just completed a stay here using my free night award, and I regret it so much. This is the worst Hyatt Hotel I have ever stayed at. The price is almost offensive for how bad the service was.

I dropped my bags off in the morning and had to wait three hours to receive them after check-in. (Had to call twice to have someone give me some information about the whereabouts of my bags - in a different room). For this mess, I got a very flippant "sorry" for the wasted time. To top it off, I received an actual apology two hours later, with the offer of an amenity as an apology. I chose the sweets option but I laughably never received them.

That's right. I never received the apology amenity.

I wouldn't recommend wasting a free night here for the service. The hotel itself looks very nice, but it wasn't worth it for the headache and annoyance I obtained with the awful service.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 2:50 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, ALL Silver,, Miles&More
Originally Posted by ruser
Just completed a stay here using my free night award, and I regret it so much. This is the worst Hyatt Hotel I have ever stayed at. The price is almost offensive for how bad the service was.

I dropped my bags off in the morning and had to wait three hours to receive them after check-in. (Had to call twice to have someone give me some information about the whereabouts of my bags - in a different room). For this mess, I got a very flippant "sorry" for the wasted time. To top it off, I received an actual apology two hours later, with the offer of an amenity as an apology. I chose the sweets option but I laughably never received them.

I wouldn't recommend wasting a free night here for the service. The hotel itself looks very nice, but it wasn't worth it for the headache and annoyance I obtained with the awful service.
Are we talking about the same hotel? Incredible how fast things can change. I had a two nights rewards stay Easter 2015, and it was one of the best service experiences I ever had world wide. And I was only Platinum (Diamond many years ago), and you are Globalist. How come . I would stay there again anytime without hesitating.

Easter Brunch 2015 at Les Orchidées - Park Vendome

Name:  IMG_0208.jpg
Views: 614
Size:  624.0 KB
Old Apr 15, 2017, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat

Sorry to hear about your awful stay, but my experience at this hotel has been vastly different than yours, on multiple stays (see upthread).

Not sure what happened to you, but it's not like them to treat Globalist in the way that you described.

The Park Hyatt Paris Vendome remains my preferred hotel in Paris.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by submonte
Are we talking about the same hotel? Incredible how fast things can change. I had a two nights rewards stay Easter 2015, and it was one of the best service experiences I ever had world wide. And I was only Platinum (Diamond many years ago), and you are Globalist. How come . I would stay there again anytime without hesitating.

Easter Brunch 2015 at Les Orchidées- Park Vendome

Attachment 30774
I was just as shocked as you were. I have no idea if it was because I was using a free night or if they were busy, but this was an awful experience. To be fair though, my breakfast service, and food, was pretty nice, so I recommend Les Orchidées.

Originally Posted by sapguy
Sorry to hear about your awful stay, but my experience at this hotel has been vastly different than yours, on multiple stays (see upthread).

Not sure what happened to you, but it's not like them to treat Globalist in the way that you described.

The Park Hyatt Paris Vendome remains my preferred hotel in Paris.
Thank you. It's possible that I just had an abnormal experience, but it made me wish for sure that I stayed elsewhere. I could let the missing luggage part go but the half-hearted apology was disappointing. I'm glad you enjoyed your stays, however
Old Apr 15, 2017, 6:50 pm

I was just as shocked as you were. I have no idea if it was because I was using a free night or if they were busy, but this was an awful experience. To be fair though, my breakfast service, and food, was pretty nice, so I recommend Les Orchidées.

Thank you. It's possible that I just had an abnormal experience, but it made me wish for sure that I stayed elsewhere. I could let the missing luggage part go but the half-hearted apology was disappointing. I'm glad you enjoyed your stays, however
I have stayed many times in the past and I too had a poor/disappointing stay last December and I had gotten a email before I got there and greeted upon arrival. But that where it all fell apart. Even my wife commented that we might try another hotel next ( this year) when in Paris. The hotel in changing a bit
Old Apr 15, 2017, 9:37 pm

Programs: United GS, MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
This new update is disappointing to read about. Our stay is coming up in June and we're looking forward to the stay. Last November we stayed at the PH Tokyo, and hoping this experience will be similar.

Fingers crossed it was just a one off bad experience.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 10:03 pm

Programs: AA: 2 MM

So, you're a Globalist and every hotel you stayed at to get to that level was worse than this? Sorry, I have some trouble believing that.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by ILuvParis
So, you're a Globalist and every hotel you stayed at to get to that level was worse than this? Sorry, I have some trouble believing that.
I never had a hotel that failed to follow-through with their apology. I wouldn't have been so disappointed (and wouldn't have posted anything) if they had not called me.

Essentially, I'm just frustrated that they kept forgetting about me. And yes, I never had that happen during my previous stays. I should mention, however that I don't make many requests so I don't interact with staff very much in general.

Last edited by ruser; Apr 16, 2017 at 6:05 am
Old Apr 16, 2017, 7:56 am

I never had a hotel that failed to follow-through with their apology. I wouldn't have been so disappointed (and wouldn't have posted anything) if they had not called me.

Essentially, I'm just frustrated that they kept forgetting about me. And yes, I never had that happen during my previous stays. I should mention, however that I don't make many requests so I don't interact with staff very much in general.
I have to add that my last stay in December I had the hotel miss two follow through with me as well. Very unlike PHV never the less twice. Yes they are in the middle of a remodel and yes they have new management ( last fall) however at this level and price point there are no excuses, none.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 9:30 am

Programs: AA: 2 MM

I don't doubt you when you say that they fell short on service and that it was frustrating when you were looking forward to a great experience. If you said it was the worst luxury hotel experience, I would get it. I just doubt it was the worst Hyatt you've stayed at.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.