Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2014, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: skj
I'm making this thread a wiki since there are issues that keep getting repeated (breakfast and transportation from/to CDG). Feel free to add whatever you feel is important - stick to facts of please and not one off exceptions (eg if you get an upgrade to the Presidential Suite on an award stay without any status - that's definitely a one off that doesn't belong in the WIKI - obviously you can do a regular post on it).

Public transport to the hotel from CDG

The best option is to take the Roissy bus to Opera. From there, the hotel is about a 5 minute walk.

The next best option is to take RER B to Chatelet-Les Halles. All trains from Roissy/CDG head south into Paris so no worries there. Some go express all the way into Paris (Gare du Nord, so Chatelet-Les Halles is the second stop); others are locals, in which case there are a lot of stops; some are half-express, half-local ... but all stop at Chatelet-Les Halles; and there is no point waiting for an express because it is rare if ever that an express will overtake a local. So get on whatever comes first. At Chatelet-Les Halles, transfer to RER A for one stop to Auber (which is joined to Opera station). You will be heading westbound, toward the termini St. Germain-en-Laye/Poissy/Cergny. You have to go up the stairs and back down for the Auber-bound train. Do not race across the platform for the RER B because that will be heading eastbound, to Gare de Lyon, Nation, Vincennes (and, depending on which one you get on, eventually Eurodisney!) The walk from the Auber exit closest to the RER stop takes about 10 minutes.

Public transport to the hotel from Orly

Take the Orlyval train to its end at Antony, then switch to RER B to Chatelet-Les-Halles and continue as above. In this case you can just cross the platform from the RER B to get the RER A headed to Auber.

Breakfast

The breakfast at Cafe Jeanne is free for Globalist members but is 40-50 euros per person otherwise. A modified but still very good version of this buffet breakfast is also available in the room and is also free for Globalists. Tips are not covered but then again the theory in France is that the service charge is in the price.

Museum tickets & pass from the concierge

You can buy "skip the line" tickets to the Louvre or Orsay for 18€ each, which is higher than the regular tickets via the Louvre & Orsay websites. But being able to "skip the line" obviously adds some value. They will also sell you the two day Paris Museum Pass for 55€. That is a 7€ markup.

Phone/data recommendations:
Lebara worked really well for me. What you need to do:
• You must unlock your phone (you can do this for free online with ATT through their website if you are out of contract)
• Order free SIM card at Lebara.fr a few weeks before your trip. I don’t think it took more than 2 weeks for my SIM card to arrive
• Activate SIM card at https://www.lebara.fr/activate-sim-detail?isoCode=en_GB or search “activate SIM” at Lebara.fr
• Load your SIM card with what you need. I paid 10 euro for 3G of data, unlimited SMS and local calls for 10 days (this should be plenty for most tourists)
LeFrench Mobile did not work so well for me: I paid 20-30 euro for local and international calls for my sister but was only able to make local calls and SMS

restaurant recommendations:
Nearby:
(We're here on 1 Oct 2021 and it appears this restaurant is closed permanently ...) Le Cap Bourbon- good, inexpensive, our server was nice and attentive (by French standards), great local crowd, menu has English translation
We ate a local Thai restaurant - Yo - its about a 5 minute walk from the hotel and very busy. I had a guinea fowl green curry - a first for me. Very good food and friendly service.

Other:
L'Avant Comptoir is a wine bar with great,relatively cheap eats and a great atmosphere and friendly, English-speaking staff. Standing room only and tight.

Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2017, 10:34 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by RTW1
If you plan ahead applying them was hardly ever a problem....
BS. I made had reservations months ahead for March and April in April. Of course by Mar. 1 when they finally granted us the TSUs, it was way too late for Hotel du Louvre, basic suites were gone. If you have stays later in the year, sure. But those of us had planned ahead for spring were left out. Big problem.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 11:06 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

It's obvious that I meant planning far ahead also meant using your DSU/TSU way in advance.... and the sentence read "WAS".

Yes, it's a crappy rule that since last year you can now only apply them for stays before the expiry date.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 6:57 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
My objection was the roll out of WoH. No TSU or DSU until Mar. 1, and the old ones expired Feb. 28.

I requalified for Diamond/Globalist in October 2016. I made my reservations in November 2016 for Mar. 2017 when there were suites available for upgrade. I also had DSU that expired Feb. 28, 2017.

Becuase of the WoH roll out Mar. 1, I could not act on DSU/TSU until Mar.1. Hotel du Louvre had some days that were sold out during my 1 week reservation, so not only could I not use TSU, but likely no upgrade at all.

So the jury is still out on WoH, but the start is crappy.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by CIT85
My objection was the roll out of WoH. No TSU or DSU until Mar. 1, and the old ones expired Feb. 28.

I requalified for Diamond/Globalist in October 2016. I made my reservations in November 2016 for Mar. 2017 when there were suites available for upgrade. I also had DSU that expired Feb. 28, 2017.

Becuase of the WoH roll out Mar. 1, I could not act on DSU/TSU until Mar.1. Hotel du Louvre had some days that were sold out during my 1 week reservation, so not only could I not use TSU, but likely no upgrade at all.

Like you, I made my reservations (for Vendome) last November for stay in April. Two rooms - one P+C, another just C. I was not able to apply DSU then, but none other Diamond member could either, not for the stay in April.
So - at least from our fellow Diamonds there was no competition.
In my case, I was able to apply TSU on March 1st, the day they posted. To both rooms. So you never know.
If you called March 1st and upgrades were not available, it was not because other Diamonds (err...Globalists) snagged them months before (they couldn't). Most likely they were sold out just like any other hotel can be sold out.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 10:38 pm

Programs: United GS, MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BOSOGG
You may want to confirm via eMail with hotel:
[email protected]
and/or
[email protected]

I would provide Hyatt Reservation# and ask for confirmation that you have communicating rooms, with common door, not just adjacent rooms. Also request room types reserved.
When is your visit? Please provide updates. Good luck!
got this response from the hotel. I think I'm all set. I know the wording seems off, but given the language difference, it sounds like my request is in the system correctly. I also called woh a third time to confirm, and this person was not helpful, but did confirm the connecting room and suite blocked off for me.

"Thank you very much for having choosing our Hotel for your trip in Paris, Cities of Lights.

I am pleased to confirm you your Suite upgrade in one of our Junior Suite for one of the room you booked.

And I am confirming you, that the two twin rooms are connecting to each other.

I remain at your entire disposal should you need any information."
Old Mar 7, 2017, 11:16 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by CIT85
The new rules for DSU were put in place last year... so way before WOH.

I agree, pretty lousy way to handle them, but not really relevant for WOH. Nor for this review thread.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 1:09 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Discoverist doesn't get 50% off breakfast, right? We got 3 coupons (one for half off drinks at bar, one for a free hot drink with croissant, and a free champagne with in room dining)
Old Mar 11, 2017, 1:31 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by ralphs
Discoverist doesn't get 50% off breakfast, right? We got 3 coupons (one for half off drinks at bar, one for a free hot drink with croissant, and a free champagne with in room dining)
The various discounts and coupons are temporary promos offered by the property that come and go. If you got something, that's good, but it very well not be offered to anyone next month.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 6:24 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
50 % off breakfast at véndome si probable The only thing Bill Miss about. Hyatt bumping me to discoverist.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 1:11 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
We paid full price anyway. While we certainly enjoyed the emmenthal tart, the smoked salmon, French toast, and service (Daniella from El Salvador was the best), I feel that if we returned we'd just as happily go to Angelina bakery a short walk away for significantly less Euros.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 11:04 pm

We paid full price anyway. While we certainly enjoyed the emmenthal tart, the smoked salmon, French toast, and service (Daniella from El Salvador was the best), I feel that if we returned we'd just as happily go to Angelina bakery a short walk away for significantly less Euros.
This is a pre WOH data point, so take it for what it's worth, but:

When I first stayed at the PHV in July last year I was given a coupon for 50% off breakfast as a HGP Platinum. The discount was shown on the bill that I had to sign.

When I returned in January this year, no mention was made at check in about the discount. I ordered room service breakfast one morning and the bill was for the full price. But at check out the room service item had been halved and the agent mentioned it was because I had half price off as a platinum.

So - would be interesting to see if the full price or the half price is shown on the final folio when you check out...
Old Mar 13, 2017, 11:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
I disagree. Granted, you'll probably (not necessarily) spend less that €50 at Angelina for breakfast. However, I believe the "Angelina Breakfast" (bread and pastry basket, juice, coffee and eggs) is €30 or more. If you added a tart, smoked salmon and French toast or similar items (not to mention all the other stuff you get on the buffet at PHPV), you would pay significantly more at Angelina than PHPV. FWIW, I love Angelina.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 11:35 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
Has anyone stayed in any of the renovated rooms/suites? What is new?
Old Mar 14, 2017, 3:53 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
I did "beta test" one of the new rooms for them ... a basic one. In truth, the style -- which I like -- was basically the same. Mostly freshened up. I believe that there was the equivalent of a "please do the room up now" light (as against the old habit of them leaving a card in the door, and you having to call down to get them to come back for the evening freshening up); and the tap and sink fixtures (drains etc.) had been changed.

Will check out one of the refurbished junior suites in a few weeks.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 5:05 pm

I hope someone would post pictures soon...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.