Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2014, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: skj
I'm making this thread a wiki since there are issues that keep getting repeated (breakfast and transportation from/to CDG). Feel free to add whatever you feel is important - stick to facts of please and not one off exceptions (eg if you get an upgrade to the Presidential Suite on an award stay without any status - that's definitely a one off that doesn't belong in the WIKI - obviously you can do a regular post on it).

Public transport to the hotel from CDG

The best option is to take the Roissy bus to Opera. From there, the hotel is about a 5 minute walk.

The next best option is to take RER B to Chatelet-Les Halles. All trains from Roissy/CDG head south into Paris so no worries there. Some go express all the way into Paris (Gare du Nord, so Chatelet-Les Halles is the second stop); others are locals, in which case there are a lot of stops; some are half-express, half-local ... but all stop at Chatelet-Les Halles; and there is no point waiting for an express because it is rare if ever that an express will overtake a local. So get on whatever comes first. At Chatelet-Les Halles, transfer to RER A for one stop to Auber (which is joined to Opera station). You will be heading westbound, toward the termini St. Germain-en-Laye/Poissy/Cergny. You have to go up the stairs and back down for the Auber-bound train. Do not race across the platform for the RER B because that will be heading eastbound, to Gare de Lyon, Nation, Vincennes (and, depending on which one you get on, eventually Eurodisney!) The walk from the Auber exit closest to the RER stop takes about 10 minutes.

Public transport to the hotel from Orly

Take the Orlyval train to its end at Antony, then switch to RER B to Chatelet-Les-Halles and continue as above. In this case you can just cross the platform from the RER B to get the RER A headed to Auber.

Breakfast

The breakfast at Cafe Jeanne is free for Globalist members but is 40-50 euros per person otherwise. A modified but still very good version of this buffet breakfast is also available in the room and is also free for Globalists. Tips are not covered but then again the theory in France is that the service charge is in the price.

Museum tickets & pass from the concierge

You can buy "skip the line" tickets to the Louvre or Orsay for 18€ each, which is higher than the regular tickets via the Louvre & Orsay websites. But being able to "skip the line" obviously adds some value. They will also sell you the two day Paris Museum Pass for 55€. That is a 7€ markup.

Phone/data recommendations:
Lebara worked really well for me. What you need to do:
• You must unlock your phone (you can do this for free online with ATT through their website if you are out of contract)
• Order free SIM card at Lebara.fr a few weeks before your trip. I don’t think it took more than 2 weeks for my SIM card to arrive
• Activate SIM card at https://www.lebara.fr/activate-sim-detail?isoCode=en_GB or search “activate SIM” at Lebara.fr
• Load your SIM card with what you need. I paid 10 euro for 3G of data, unlimited SMS and local calls for 10 days (this should be plenty for most tourists)
LeFrench Mobile did not work so well for me: I paid 20-30 euro for local and international calls for my sister but was only able to make local calls and SMS

restaurant recommendations:
Nearby:
(We're here on 1 Oct 2021 and it appears this restaurant is closed permanently ...) Le Cap Bourbon- good, inexpensive, our server was nice and attentive (by French standards), great local crowd, menu has English translation
We ate a local Thai restaurant - Yo - its about a 5 minute walk from the hotel and very busy. I had a guinea fowl green curry - a first for me. Very good food and friendly service.

Other:
L'Avant Comptoir is a wine bar with great,relatively cheap eats and a great atmosphere and friendly, English-speaking staff. Standing room only and tight.

Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2016, 2:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
BTW, after repeatedly being told that 50% off coupons are good for cocktails only, our Champagne in the bar was 50% off last night. A great deal - since a glass runs 28 Euros +. There were four of us - and two of us drank cocktails, so we got a pleasant surprise when everything was discounted. We also got 12 mini desserts on the house. The bar manager had kiddingly insulted me (we all knew it was a joke) and insisted on "making it up" to us throughout the evening.

All of the tapas in the bar/Cheminee are still great, the gambas and mini-cheesburgers in particular. They will also still make the spaghetti carbonara (though no longer on the menu for a couple of years, at least) to order - so good!

Also, nice to know also that Platinums (our friends who were with us) still get 50% off breakfast.

We also got a bottle of Laurent Perrier Brut as a birthday present for me in the room.

Still loving this hotel. Should even be better after the renovations - some of the rooms starting to look a bit worn, though our 5th floor king was in great shape this time.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 3:29 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
BTW, after repeatedly being told that 50% off coupons are good for cocktails only, our Champagne in the bar was 50% off last night. A great deal - since a glass runs 28 Euros +. There were four of us - and two of us drank cocktails, so we got a pleasant surprise when everything was discounted. We also got 12 mini desserts on the house. The bar manager had kiddingly insulted me (we all knew it was a joke) and insisted on "making it up" to us throughout the evening.

All of the tapas in the bar/Cheminee are still great, the gambas and mini-cheesburgers in particular. They will also still make the spaghetti carbonara (though no longer on the menu for a couple of years, at least) to order - so good!

Also, nice to know also that Platinums (our friends who were with us) still get 50% off breakfast.

We also got a bottle of Laurent Perrier Brut as a birthday present for me in the room.

Still loving this hotel. Should even be better after the renovations - some of the rooms starting to look a bit worn, though our 5th floor king was in great shape this time.

we were in 532 last week
Old Dec 3, 2016, 4:44 am

Programs: Spg Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by edgewood49
we were in 532 last week
Was that a Suite. Did you like it?
Thanks
Old Dec 3, 2016, 5:35 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

IIRC the Martinnez had a tradition of serving large portions of very good spaghetti in the bar.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 10:56 am

Anyone ever used DSU on this property? We used our DSU for the upcoming stay, and on our account it appears " JRST" (I guess it is a junior suite), however, on the PHV website, I didn't see any JRST. I wonder if it is actually a "larger delux king" as I won't be surprised the property inflate the grade of the room just so to increase their margin of revenue.

Can someone please share their experience?

Thanks.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 11:16 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Why not read this thread for a few minutes instead of assuming the property is trying to increase their profit....?
Old Dec 3, 2016, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by RTW1
Why not read this thread for a few minutes instead of assuming the property is trying to increase their profit....?
I did read some of the comments on this thread. Obviously some people have close relationships with the GM of the property. In this case, I don't.

I also know how to use google (thank goodness), and it turns out some people were indeed offered a "junior suite" which was actually NOT MUCH BIGGER than the Delux room. )(reference: http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....vendome-paris/ ). The picture looked like it was actually a delux room. If you have time, glance the comments below so you know it is not just a single incident.

Also, considering the change to WoH, and if you have time to go back to read that thread, you would find for a quite number of people agreed: the Hyatt membership program is watered down. I think it is only reasonable for me to make such assumption that PHV will try any possible measure to increase their margin of profit.

Thanks.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by yfchen0520
I did read some of the comments on this thread. Obviously some people have close relationships with the GM of the property. In this case, I don't.

I also know how to use google (thank goodness), and it turns out some people were indeed offered a "junior suite" which was actually NOT MUCH BIGGER than the Delux room. )(reference: http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....vendome-paris/ ). The picture looked like it was actually a delux room. If you have time, glance the comments below so you know it is not just a single incident.

Also, considering the change to WoH, and if you have time to go back to read that thread, you would find for a quite number of people agreed: the Hyatt membership program is watered down. I think it is only reasonable for me to make such assumption that PHV will try any possible measure to increase their margin of profit.

Thanks.
A lot of of others have that thought. And yes the "suites' many are taking about are just you have said a double closet !

Frankly I have said the PHV is not what it once was
Old Dec 4, 2016, 12:45 am

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Meant to mention above that upon check-in, we we told that the Executive Suite was available during the entirety of our stay for 180 additional Euros per night. While I'm sure that would have been nice, it kind of defeats the idea of a "free" room.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 4:25 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Thanks.

All the points you are making are pretty irrelevant. If you are fed up with the changes to GP, just leave... I know I am, and I'm burning points and leaving. If you don't like the room you are booking, you should stay somewhere else.

You have booked a room using a DSU for which you know you are "only" guaranteed the entry level suite. So assume that is what you are going to get. After all it's what you are entitled to.
And since the suites sell for €200-300 a night more than what the deluxe rooms sell for it's still a good offer where you spend a DSU and the property gets nothing in return. Why expect a free upgrade to a better suite that sells for €150+ more?

If you don't like the entry level suite don't book here or ask what the up-charge to a suite of your liking will be... or wait till check-in to see if you might get more than what you should expect.

Last edited by RTW1; Dec 4, 2016 at 7:14 am
Old Dec 4, 2016, 7:10 am

Meant to mention above that upon check-in, we we told that the Executive Suite was available during the entirety of our stay for 180 additional Euros per night. While I'm sure that would have been nice, it kind of defeats the idea of a "free" room.
Only get what you pay for
Old Dec 4, 2016, 7:16 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Anyone ever used DSU on this property? We used our DSU for the upcoming stay, and on our account it appears " JRST" (I guess it is a junior suite), however, on the PHV website, I didn't see any JRST. I wonder if it is actually a "larger delux king" as I won't be surprised the property inflate the grade of the room just so to increase their margin of revenue.

Can someone please share their experience?

Thanks.
So here is my experience....
  1. The JRST code is exactly what appears on my current booking, too.
  2. An upgrade to a junior suite is what they promise, no more, no less.
  3. I have stayed at PHV a number of times now, many in nominally the same room type, but have found that all rooms are a bit different from one another
  4. Although some junior suites are, as you say, not much different in appearance from the larger deluxe king, there are several inter-related thingWhen we have been using a DSU at PHV, it is from the lowest room class, which is a queen bed as I recall. Although as a Diamond they are prone to upgrade to the deluxe king (this is in a non-DSU situation), there is no reason to count on this. So the junior suite is (at least in my feeble mind) a guaranteed upgrade relative to the smallest room type.
  5. Some of the suite upgrades we have received have been better than others. But even a little extra space in a very comfortable hotel is some extra comfortable space. I don't care about this when I am there by myself but as a couple it can really count.
  6. Within these parameters, folks' tastes vary. On our last suite upgrade, we found the junior suite we had been assigned a bit noisy and the shape not so cool for us. We mentioned the noise and were quickly reassigned to another junior suite. I have the sense that it might have been the type of room many here would not have liked, but my wife really liked it and asked me to request it for the next stay.
But the next stay may not be as good at that room, because it is on rue de la Paix, and from what I have read above, that may not be desirable this winter. Point being: It's always a moving target. The PHV is what it is. If you get off on the place -- obviously my wife and I do; it's not our normal part of Paris, so being there is sort of a vacation within the rest of the Paris experience -- it (junior suite use of DSU) can be worth it.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
  3. I have stayed at PHV a number of times now, many in nominally the same room type, but have found that all rooms are a bit different from one another
  4. Although some junior suites are, as you say, not much different in appearance from the larger deluxe king, there are several inter-related thingWhen we have been using a DSU at PHV, it is from the lowest room class, which is a queen bed as I recall. Although as a Diamond they are prone to upgrade to the deluxe king (this is in a non-DSU situation), there is no reason to count on this. So the junior suite is (at least in my feeble mind) a guaranteed upgrade relative to the smallest room type.
  5. Some of the suite upgrades we have received have been better than others. But even a little extra space in a very comfortable hotel is some extra comfortable space. I don't care about this when I am there by myself but as a couple it can really count.
  6. Within these parameters, folks' tastes vary. On our last suite upgrade, we found the junior suite we had been assigned a bit noisy and the shape not so cool for us. We mentioned the noise and were quickly reassigned to another junior suite. I have the sense that it might have been the type of room many here would not have liked, but my wife really liked it and asked me to request it for the next stay.
But the next stay may not be as good at that room, because it is on rue de la Paix, and from what I have read above, that may not be desirable this winter. Point being: It's always a moving target. The PHV is what it is. If you get off on the place -- obviously my wife and I do; it's not our normal part of Paris, so being there is sort of a vacation within the rest of the Paris experience -- it (junior suite use of DSU) can be worth it.
For the next six months or so it will be a"crap shoot" as they remodel. We have decided to stay somewhere else until this one is done. Oh by the by the Hyatt by the Eiffel Tower is being completely gutted and modernized We are think that one until the dust settles at PHV
Old Dec 4, 2016, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by RTW1
All the points you are making are pretty irrelevant. If you are fed up with the changes to GP, just leave... I know I am, and I'm burning points and leaving. If you don't like the room you are booking, you should stay somewhere else.

You have booked a room using a DSU for which you know you are "only" guaranteed the entry level suite. So assume that is what you are going to get. After all it's what you are entitled to.
And since the suites sell for €200-300 a night more than what the deluxe rooms sell for it's still a good offer where you spend a DSU and the property gets nothing in return. Why expect a free upgrade to a better suite that sells for €150+ more?

If you don't like the entry level suite don't book here or ask what the up-charge to a suite of your liking will be... or wait till check-in to see if you might get more than what you should expect.
Hi,

I was just trying to let you know that 1. I did read the thread, 2. NOT ONLY did i read the thread, I also googled other people's experience online, and 3. based on my reading, the hotel will do anything to increase their revenue.
I will APPRECIATE very much had you not made that kind of assumption that I DIDN'T do my homework. As for what diamond status worths, I guess each of us has different opinions.

By no means I would be foolish enough to believe this hotel will go way above and beyond give me a super duper upgrade. I totally understand I get what I pay for. But, if the not-listed-on-the-website junior suit is only slightly larger than the delux room, why would I want to do C+P ($275euro and 15K points=$550 considering the point value at 1.8 cent) instead of using my free night certificate and pay extra $90 euro for the upgrade to delux? I just wish the hotel could have been more straight forward and honest. That's why I am here trying to figure out if anyone can share their recent experience so I can make a change when it needs to be done. I might not be smart enough (for example to make a relevant argument I guess), but I can do some simple math.

Thanks.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by Biggie Fries

Thank you so much for this reply. I totally agree not to count on any " automatic" upgrade from a regular room to deluxe. I guess I will have to ring the hotel myself to make sure my room won't be on rue de la Paix. Appreciate your wonderful feedback.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.