Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2014, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: skj
I'm making this thread a wiki since there are issues that keep getting repeated (breakfast and transportation from/to CDG). Feel free to add whatever you feel is important - stick to facts of please and not one off exceptions (eg if you get an upgrade to the Presidential Suite on an award stay without any status - that's definitely a one off that doesn't belong in the WIKI - obviously you can do a regular post on it).

Public transport to the hotel from CDG

The best option is to take the Roissy bus to Opera. From there, the hotel is about a 5 minute walk.

The next best option is to take RER B to Chatelet-Les Halles. All trains from Roissy/CDG head south into Paris so no worries there. Some go express all the way into Paris (Gare du Nord, so Chatelet-Les Halles is the second stop); others are locals, in which case there are a lot of stops; some are half-express, half-local ... but all stop at Chatelet-Les Halles; and there is no point waiting for an express because it is rare if ever that an express will overtake a local. So get on whatever comes first. At Chatelet-Les Halles, transfer to RER A for one stop to Auber (which is joined to Opera station). You will be heading westbound, toward the termini St. Germain-en-Laye/Poissy/Cergny. You have to go up the stairs and back down for the Auber-bound train. Do not race across the platform for the RER B because that will be heading eastbound, to Gare de Lyon, Nation, Vincennes (and, depending on which one you get on, eventually Eurodisney!) The walk from the Auber exit closest to the RER stop takes about 10 minutes.

Public transport to the hotel from Orly

Take the Orlyval train to its end at Antony, then switch to RER B to Chatelet-Les-Halles and continue as above. In this case you can just cross the platform from the RER B to get the RER A headed to Auber.

Breakfast

The breakfast at Cafe Jeanne is free for Globalist members but is 40-50 euros per person otherwise. A modified but still very good version of this buffet breakfast is also available in the room and is also free for Globalists. Tips are not covered but then again the theory in France is that the service charge is in the price.

Museum tickets & pass from the concierge

You can buy "skip the line" tickets to the Louvre or Orsay for 18€ each, which is higher than the regular tickets via the Louvre & Orsay websites. But being able to "skip the line" obviously adds some value. They will also sell you the two day Paris Museum Pass for 55€. That is a 7€ markup.

Phone/data recommendations:
Lebara worked really well for me. What you need to do:
• You must unlock your phone (you can do this for free online with ATT through their website if you are out of contract)
• Order free SIM card at Lebara.fr a few weeks before your trip. I don’t think it took more than 2 weeks for my SIM card to arrive
• Activate SIM card at https://www.lebara.fr/activate-sim-detail?isoCode=en_GB or search “activate SIM” at Lebara.fr
• Load your SIM card with what you need. I paid 10 euro for 3G of data, unlimited SMS and local calls for 10 days (this should be plenty for most tourists)
LeFrench Mobile did not work so well for me: I paid 20-30 euro for local and international calls for my sister but was only able to make local calls and SMS

restaurant recommendations:
Nearby:
(We're here on 1 Oct 2021 and it appears this restaurant is closed permanently ...) Le Cap Bourbon- good, inexpensive, our server was nice and attentive (by French standards), great local crowd, menu has English translation
We ate a local Thai restaurant - Yo - its about a 5 minute walk from the hotel and very busy. I had a guinea fowl green curry - a first for me. Very good food and friendly service.

Other:
L'Avant Comptoir is a wine bar with great,relatively cheap eats and a great atmosphere and friendly, English-speaking staff. Standing room only and tight.

Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2021, 7:12 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by scented
I have yet to hear back regarding the Bar, Afternoon Tea, Drinks Menu etc. So far no reply to these points.

Actually with all these changes, PH Vendome might no longer be regarded as a "Palace" according to the French rules. I can imagine that currently due to the pandemic, they put these ratings on hold, but next year if PH Vendome doesn't correct its course, they should be dropped from the Palace list, because they do not have 24 hour in-room dining anymore and they do not have a proper Bar anymore.

Official criteria:

When but honestly... if.. I hear back regarding these points, will update here
Pls keep us informed this is not good news however it seems to be in keeping with other properties around the world.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by edgewood49
Maybe the need for revenue was more important
This is definitely driving all their recent decisions.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by Aventine
This is definitely driving all their recent decisions.
was a "tongue and cheek " comment. Whatever is going on at the PHV it doesn't look good I am surprised Checci is still there
Old Sep 19, 2021, 5:28 am

Just a quick update: The hotel chose not to reply to my questions anymore and both my contacts ignored my mails. A first for me...

I don't know what's going on at PH Vendome, undecided between following through with my visit next month to see what the situation is or rebooking at the Four Seasons. In any case, very disturbing -- I've been staying at PH Vendome since 2007 and mostly in Suites, seen the glory days and the difficult times, but this is uncharted territory.

They managed to absolutely kill the first contemporary palace in Paris on many levels. Michel Jauslin left at exactly the right time ... considering it's his baby, best to look away.
Old Sep 19, 2021, 7:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Checking out the TA reviews, negative comments are met with a canned "We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you again in a not too distant future, and let you enjoy a most exceptional stay with us." But no invitation to the guest to reach out or any indication the property is interested in service recovery. This is a clear sign of management that doesn't care.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2021, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by Pickles
Just to give you a sense of what that breakfast is "worth", Mrs. Pickles flew from the US to Hong Kong specifically via Paris (US location->CDG->HKG as opposed to US->JFK->HKG) so she could spend the weekend with me (I was on business in Europe) and have breakfast at the Vendome (and lunch and dinner all over Paris, but that breakfast was part of the must do list).
Quoting myself from a post from 2014... What I've been reading here about how low the PHV has fallen makes me informed (i.e. don't stay there anymore) but sad. That breakfast in the courtyard was something really special. Besides the overall excellence of the food, service, and ambiance, I was introduced to the kouign-amann pastry there, so I'm taking that practical knowledge (plus the memories) with me.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 2:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by scented
Just a quick update: the hotel chose not to reply to my questions anymore and both my contacts ignored my mails. A first for me...

I don't know what's going on at PH Vendome, undecided between following through with my visit next month to see what the situation is or rebooking at the Four Seasons. In any case, very disturbing -- I've been staying at PH Vendome since 2007 and mostly in Suites, seen the glory days and the difficult times, but this is uncharted territory.

They managed to absolutely kill the first contemporary palace in Paris on many levels. Michel Jauslin left at exactly the right time ... considering it's his baby, best to look away.
I would definitely book George V. Undeserving of your patronage.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 10:40 am

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
My bets guess is the buffet will be a long time in coming back. Remember there is a huge 'costs factor' to contend with here
Was there for a couple of nights last week. Breakfast buffet is open although we were advised that we could either order room service or use the buffet as part of Globalist benefits. No hot foods in the buffet (except for a quiche) but everything on the menu is available for order at the same time.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by OskiBear
Was there for a couple of nights last week. Breakfast buffet is open although we were advised that we could either order room service or use the buffet as part of Globalist benefits. No hot foods in the buffet (except for a quiche) but everything on the menu is available for order at the same time.
So its more or less the same, hot foods was always an "order" item" thank you it sounded like from previous posts that the buffet was shut down entirely which given the Covid mess sounded reasonable. Is Le Bar still open ?
Old Sep 20, 2021, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
So its more or less the same, hot foods was always an "order" item" thank you it sounded like from previous posts that the buffet was shut down entirely which given the Covid mess sounded reasonable. Is Le Bar still open ?
Not sure as we didn't do anything other than breakfast and this was my first time at the hotel. Is Le Bar where the breakfast is served? In the afternoons and evenings, there were people in the area - couldn't recall if they were having drinks or just using the space to lounge. The full bar set-up was in the back of the buffet each morning - all the bottles were out on display. They did have a QR-code menu for breakfast and a separate one for drinks.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by OskiBear
Not sure as we didn't do anything other than breakfast and this was my first time at the hotel. Is Le Bar where the breakfast is served? In the afternoons and evenings, there were people in the area - couldn't recall if they were having drinks or just using the space to lounge. The full bar set-up was in the back of the buffet each morning - all the bottles were out on display. They did have a QR-code menu for breakfast and a separate one for drinks.
Walking down the hallway the breakfast part now Cafe Jeanne on your left Terrace on your right all the way back LeBar is on your right and Pur entrance on your left by the restrooms. I understand the bar is closed
Old Sep 20, 2021, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Walking down the hallway the breakfast part now Cafe Jeanne on your left Terrace on your right all the way back LeBar is on your right and Pur entrance on your left by the restrooms. I understand the bar is closed
Le Bar in essence is sandwiched between Pur and the outdoor (Terrace), correct? Was not open when I was there two weekends ago.
Old Sep 21, 2021, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Le Bar in essence is sandwiched between Pur and the outdoor (Terrace), correct? Was not open when I was there two weekends ago.
Yep one of my all time favorite bars in the world.
TravisMT81 likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2021, 7:45 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Gold, BA Gold
Checking in tonight.
Was upgraded yesterday to a King Suite and this morning to an Executive Suite.
Not too bad?
ceebee100 likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2021, 2:14 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Sophoclefr
Checking in tonight.
Was upgraded yesterday to a King Suite and this morning to an Executive Suite.
Not too bad?
Did you reach out to them asking about upgrades or was this the hotel's initiative? Did they notify you by email or did you just notice this in your Hyatt account?

I've never stayed here before but checking in on Thursday and will post my impressions of the hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.