Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2014, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: skj
I'm making this thread a wiki since there are issues that keep getting repeated (breakfast and transportation from/to CDG). Feel free to add whatever you feel is important - stick to facts of please and not one off exceptions (eg if you get an upgrade to the Presidential Suite on an award stay without any status - that's definitely a one off that doesn't belong in the WIKI - obviously you can do a regular post on it).

Public transport to the hotel from CDG

The best option is to take the Roissy bus to Opera. From there, the hotel is about a 5 minute walk.

The next best option is to take RER B to Chatelet-Les Halles. All trains from Roissy/CDG head south into Paris so no worries there. Some go express all the way into Paris (Gare du Nord, so Chatelet-Les Halles is the second stop); others are locals, in which case there are a lot of stops; some are half-express, half-local ... but all stop at Chatelet-Les Halles; and there is no point waiting for an express because it is rare if ever that an express will overtake a local. So get on whatever comes first. At Chatelet-Les Halles, transfer to RER A for one stop to Auber (which is joined to Opera station). You will be heading westbound, toward the termini St. Germain-en-Laye/Poissy/Cergny. You have to go up the stairs and back down for the Auber-bound train. Do not race across the platform for the RER B because that will be heading eastbound, to Gare de Lyon, Nation, Vincennes (and, depending on which one you get on, eventually Eurodisney!) The walk from the Auber exit closest to the RER stop takes about 10 minutes.

Public transport to the hotel from Orly

Take the Orlyval train to its end at Antony, then switch to RER B to Chatelet-Les-Halles and continue as above. In this case you can just cross the platform from the RER B to get the RER A headed to Auber.

Breakfast

The breakfast at Cafe Jeanne is free for Globalist members but is 40-50 euros per person otherwise. A modified but still very good version of this buffet breakfast is also available in the room and is also free for Globalists. Tips are not covered but then again the theory in France is that the service charge is in the price.

Museum tickets & pass from the concierge

You can buy "skip the line" tickets to the Louvre or Orsay for 18€ each, which is higher than the regular tickets via the Louvre & Orsay websites. But being able to "skip the line" obviously adds some value. They will also sell you the two day Paris Museum Pass for 55€. That is a 7€ markup.

Phone/data recommendations:
Lebara worked really well for me. What you need to do:
• You must unlock your phone (you can do this for free online with ATT through their website if you are out of contract)
• Order free SIM card at Lebara.fr a few weeks before your trip. I don’t think it took more than 2 weeks for my SIM card to arrive
• Activate SIM card at https://www.lebara.fr/activate-sim-detail?isoCode=en_GB or search “activate SIM” at Lebara.fr
• Load your SIM card with what you need. I paid 10 euro for 3G of data, unlimited SMS and local calls for 10 days (this should be plenty for most tourists)
LeFrench Mobile did not work so well for me: I paid 20-30 euro for local and international calls for my sister but was only able to make local calls and SMS

restaurant recommendations:
Nearby:
(We're here on 1 Oct 2021 and it appears this restaurant is closed permanently ...) Le Cap Bourbon- good, inexpensive, our server was nice and attentive (by French standards), great local crowd, menu has English translation
We ate a local Thai restaurant - Yo - its about a 5 minute walk from the hotel and very busy. I had a guinea fowl green curry - a first for me. Very good food and friendly service.

Other:
L'Avant Comptoir is a wine bar with great,relatively cheap eats and a great atmosphere and friendly, English-speaking staff. Standing room only and tight.

Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2021, 11:38 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by edgewood49
Skj if the omelets were "rubbery" you can bet their from "eggs in a carton" ala most US hotels. Would surely be evidence of cost cutting versus quality.
That seems pretty unlikely to me - carton eggs are not known in France and are extremely uncommon across Europe as a whole.
ceebee100 and PETERPNYC like this.
Old Jul 27, 2021, 12:32 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
That seems pretty unlikely to me - carton eggs are not known in France and are extremely uncommon across Europe as a whole.
Agree.My best guess is there was an execution issue when cooking.Eggs while simple in premise are actually quite delicate when preparing.
One second over or under you may have likely ruined them depending on personal taste
I take them off the heat before they are finished cooking to insure more consistent proper results.
Having said all that when I was last @ PHV Pre Covid the breakfast was still very good but not as good as years past
when they even had Laduree bringing in the morning pastry.
Back in the day many Park Hyatt's had their own pastry chefs and bakery items could be world class.
My last PH visit in the US no muffins no pastry and a dollar limit opposed on us (sigh)
"Oh the Times they are a Changin" Bob Dylan
Old Jul 27, 2021, 5:44 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
These days I would not be surprised if you find these "eggs" in the venerable France kitchens. Never the less quality is dropping prices go up. I said to my barber awhile back "how come your priced keep going up and the amount of my hair keeps going down" !!

Its a shame because the bar is one of my all time favorites in the world and i have been in a few "gin joints" in my life
Old Jul 28, 2021, 12:09 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by edgewood49
These days I would not be surprised if you find these "eggs" in the venerable France kitchens.
I don't know if you spend much time in France? I think it would be literally quite hard to find US-style packaged eggs.
TravelingChef likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 5:45 am

I don't know if you spend much time in France? I think it would be literally quite hard to find US-style packaged eggs.
I hear you and have been visiting / living in the EU since 1970 not that that makes me an expert what I do know something about is hotel operations. I simply stated that it would not surprise me if some form of egg product show up, there are many forms of these and like most products there are various forms of quality. Even 5 star hotel FB are not without cost savings they have lost hundred of millions over Covid.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 7:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP & AAirpass, Hyatt Courtesy Card, SPG Platinum
Still going strong

We recently stayed here for the first time in maybe 3 years. Service was excellent and we received a lovely upgrade to a Diplomatic suite (thanks to Courtesy Card).

We thought the breakfast was quite good. While we missed the buffet, the quality of the food was excellent. The only miss were the eggs Benedict.

Would not hesitate to recommend the property.
ceebee100 and PETERPNYC like this.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 7:20 am

Courtesy Card makes all the difference in the world.
ceebee100 likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 9:32 am

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by zoneflyer
I just completed a stay last week, overall a good hotel in a superb location but with some things left to be desired.

As a Globalist booked with points, they only offered an one category upgrade to King Deluxe despite that both Standard/Premium Suites were available at the time of check in. Welcome amenities are great. Services are swift and professional, in line with what is expected from a 5 star hotel, but don’t expect anything above and beyond. Honestly speaking, breakfast is a bit of disappointment. The portion and presentation is excellent but the taste is just lacking. Eggs Benedict are simply not good, we tried French Toast and Waffles both are very subpar. Fruits platter are like those from wholesale mixed fruit packages. Our local brunch spot in California can do a much better job. Globalists gets automatically selected the most expensive “American Breakfast” option (50€ listed price) and then bill taken off in the end, even when my SO ordered less food. I would never pay 50€ pp if it’s out of my pocket.
Is the dining room open - on my reservation for an upcoming stay, the following was noted on the confirmation email:

DINING AVAILABLE THROUGH ROOM SERVICE ONLY. ROOM SERVICE AVAILABLE FROM 06:30AM TO 12PM. BAR CLOSED.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 10:08 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, AS MVP Gold, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by OskiBear
Is the dining room open - on my reservation for an upcoming stay, the following was noted on the confirmation email:

DINING AVAILABLE THROUGH ROOM SERVICE ONLY. ROOM SERVICE AVAILABLE FROM 06:30AM TO 12PM. BAR CLOSED.
It was during our stay, bunch of people were having breakfast in the dining room. Not sure about now since France added more restrictions recently.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 7:20 am

It was during our stay, bunch of people were having breakfast in the dining room. Not sure about now since France added more restrictions recently.
Just checked out today. The dining room is open for breakfast. It was very slow though (they seem extremely understaffed), took 30 minutes to get our eggs after juices were brought out. Room service comes much faster (20-30 minutes). The food quality was poor as another poster mentioned above. Cold eggs and soggy bread. What a shame.
tjae likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by Fc912
Just checked out today. The dining room is open for breakfast. It was very slow though (they seem extremely understaffed), took 30 minutes to get our eggs after juices were brought out. Room service comes much faster (20-30 minutes). The food quality was poor as another poster mentioned above. Cold eggs and soggy bread. What a shame.
The continued downward spiral of a once beautiful hotel no not just a hotel but an experience. Christmas time was just a world unto its own. The of course there is Paris in the Spring ! Sad not sure I will ever stay there again,
Old Aug 8, 2021, 10:54 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I was wondering if you had any experience with Healthvana ( the company that has the online info of vaccination for California).

The app has a QR code and I was wondering whether it could be used instead of a paper CDC card and be used as a health pass in Paris. Probably no, but one can hope.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by beachfan
I was wondering if you had any experience with Healthvana ( the company that has the online info of vaccination for California).

The app has a QR code and I was wondering whether it could be used instead of a paper CDC card and be used as a health pass in Paris. Probably no, but one can hope.
I take it's a"California" thing? Not heard of it as for the France lots of debate and trial ballots floated
Old Aug 10, 2021, 1:13 am

I see they still have the same menu for La Cheminée, the Terrace and in some ways Sens... and that menu is 2 pages long. Same for In-Room Dining... 1 page menu, excluding breakfast! Either I missed something or Park Hyatt Vendome is now a better Bed & Breakfast and not a Palace-rated hotel?

Makes perfect sense to do that when you have 5 rooms occupied during lockdown, but I have a feeling this might turn into another cost cut.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 1:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by scented
I see they still have the same menu for La Cheminée, the Terrace and in some ways Sens... and that menu is 2 pages long. Same for In-Room Dining... 1 page menu, excluding breakfast! Either I missed something or Park Hyatt Vendome is now a better Bed & Breakfast and not a Palace-rated hotel?

Makes perfect sense to do that when you have 5 rooms occupied during lockdown, but I have a feeling this might turn into another cost cut.
Are they charging the same prices regardless of where the food is consumed? If so, it would be a very cheap way to check off "eating dinner in a Michelin starred restaurant" from one's bucket list.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.