Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2014, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: skj
I'm making this thread a wiki since there are issues that keep getting repeated (breakfast and transportation from/to CDG). Feel free to add whatever you feel is important - stick to facts of please and not one off exceptions (eg if you get an upgrade to the Presidential Suite on an award stay without any status - that's definitely a one off that doesn't belong in the WIKI - obviously you can do a regular post on it).

Public transport to the hotel from CDG

The best option is to take the Roissy bus to Opera. From there, the hotel is about a 5 minute walk.

The next best option is to take RER B to Chatelet-Les Halles. All trains from Roissy/CDG head south into Paris so no worries there. Some go express all the way into Paris (Gare du Nord, so Chatelet-Les Halles is the second stop); others are locals, in which case there are a lot of stops; some are half-express, half-local ... but all stop at Chatelet-Les Halles; and there is no point waiting for an express because it is rare if ever that an express will overtake a local. So get on whatever comes first. At Chatelet-Les Halles, transfer to RER A for one stop to Auber (which is joined to Opera station). You will be heading westbound, toward the termini St. Germain-en-Laye/Poissy/Cergny. You have to go up the stairs and back down for the Auber-bound train. Do not race across the platform for the RER B because that will be heading eastbound, to Gare de Lyon, Nation, Vincennes (and, depending on which one you get on, eventually Eurodisney!) The walk from the Auber exit closest to the RER stop takes about 10 minutes.

Public transport to the hotel from Orly

Take the Orlyval train to its end at Antony, then switch to RER B to Chatelet-Les-Halles and continue as above. In this case you can just cross the platform from the RER B to get the RER A headed to Auber.

Breakfast

The breakfast at Cafe Jeanne is free for Globalist members but is 40-50 euros per person otherwise. A modified but still very good version of this buffet breakfast is also available in the room and is also free for Globalists. Tips are not covered but then again the theory in France is that the service charge is in the price.

Museum tickets & pass from the concierge

You can buy "skip the line" tickets to the Louvre or Orsay for 18€ each, which is higher than the regular tickets via the Louvre & Orsay websites. But being able to "skip the line" obviously adds some value. They will also sell you the two day Paris Museum Pass for 55€. That is a 7€ markup.

Phone/data recommendations:
Lebara worked really well for me. What you need to do:
• You must unlock your phone (you can do this for free online with ATT through their website if you are out of contract)
• Order free SIM card at Lebara.fr a few weeks before your trip. I don’t think it took more than 2 weeks for my SIM card to arrive
• Activate SIM card at https://www.lebara.fr/activate-sim-detail?isoCode=en_GB or search “activate SIM” at Lebara.fr
• Load your SIM card with what you need. I paid 10 euro for 3G of data, unlimited SMS and local calls for 10 days (this should be plenty for most tourists)
LeFrench Mobile did not work so well for me: I paid 20-30 euro for local and international calls for my sister but was only able to make local calls and SMS

restaurant recommendations:
Nearby:
(We're here on 1 Oct 2021 and it appears this restaurant is closed permanently ...) Le Cap Bourbon- good, inexpensive, our server was nice and attentive (by French standards), great local crowd, menu has English translation
We ate a local Thai restaurant - Yo - its about a 5 minute walk from the hotel and very busy. I had a guinea fowl green curry - a first for me. Very good food and friendly service.

Other:
L'Avant Comptoir is a wine bar with great,relatively cheap eats and a great atmosphere and friendly, English-speaking staff. Standing room only and tight.

Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2021, 7:12 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Gosh my Int travel is at Zero regretfully right now
My business class flights to Australia all canceled by Qantas.Apparently still no Americans allowed
I canceled my return to Europe next week to see where the mutating variants are going and if booster shots will be available
Realistically likely looking at next year I think its ok to take a break after 30 years consistently traveling the world with rare exceptions
Also I have been disappointed at enough hotels right here in the US with closed restaurants limited menus and weird protocols to say
I'm still mostly happy at home with all the cut backs and program devaluations upcoming
Many of the programs have me less interested in their decision making .
Then thrown in ride share at double and triple the normal fare I'm shockingly back to taxis again!

And I agree with the only issue is when we see pictures on tv of places that we love it makes one miss it then when you turn to another channel and see other reports you say NO. There is just too many variables out there too many unknowns. I began my flying 45 years ago in the USAF and never looked back until Covid. Yep 777 time for a break and smell the coffee.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 10:30 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by edgewood49
And I agree with the only issue is when we see pictures on tv of places that we love it makes one miss it then when you turn to another channel and see other reports you say NO. There is just too many variables out there too many unknowns. I began my flying 45 years ago in the USAF and never looked back until Covid. Yep 777 time for a break and smell the coffee.
Thank you for your post and a bit of your flying history and public service past
Its especially refreshing to hear from someone with inspiring life experience who gets it!
I too feel a sense of sadness about being grounded while watching hotels and the business world close down and lay off
some of the most wonderful team members all over the world who for me felt like family and friends.
Right now all I can do is be productive and for the first time in many years focus on diet and exercise (started yesterday)
so I can be around for many years to not only smell the coffee
but harvest the beans myself at some unique destinations! I don't drink coffee but do love the scent of it brewing
Be great to return to the Park Hyatt Paris Vendome too.Always memorable stays.
Feel fortunate to have traveled extensively when the world was simply our oyster and the
worst that could happen was a long security line or flight delay/cancellation.Who knew?
Old Jul 12, 2021, 10:37 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Is there anything we can do to convince you, @777 global mile hound, to not type in such a way that is so difficult to read? I don't understand what point you are trying to make to keep your posts formatted this way, despite so many posters having commented in the past that it makes it difficult to quickly and easily process.
coleslaw likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 10:47 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by callmedtop
Is there anything we can do to convince you, @777 global mile hound, to not type in such a way that is so difficult to read? I don't understand what point you are trying to make to keep your posts formatted this way, despite so many posters having commented in the past that it makes it difficult to quickly and easily process.
Probably help if I stop posting on a tiny phone while exercising for starters.Thank You for the comment.
tobikosan likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Probably help if I stop posting on a tiny phone while exercising for starters.Thank You for the comment.
The solution is easy - just don’t press enter after every line. The website will do that for you.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 1:07 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
I'm just impressed that anyone can type at all on a phone while exercising. I know I sure can't.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by scented
Although OT, this is gorgeous. Brings back fond memories
And your right but hey for those of us that put the T in travel and now grounded well what the hell!!!!
Old Jul 18, 2021, 11:48 am

2 Night Stay - Discoverist

Stayed here from 16 - 18 July 2021. I'm an American that lives and work in Frankfurt, took the ICE train from Frankfurt Bahnhof to Gare de la Est (Roughly 4 hours). Used UBER for most of my transportation between sites in Paris. UBER seems to work just fine here (avg wait times of 7-10mins), probably a tad more expensive than what you're used to in the U.S. but is understandable due to the high costs in Paris.

I stayed here with my fiancé as a weekend getaway before as we suspect most of the European countries go back to heavy restrictions. Hotel was running around 900 Euro/night for a standard room, so obviously redeemed 30K Hyatt pts/night. The bell boys took our bags from our Uber as we went on to the check in desk. The check-in had no line and took maybe 5 mins to complete. They did not ask for negative tests or vaccination proof, but this will seem to change come August 1. The gentleman at the front desk offered to show us to our room, which we took. He was very friendly and gave us a tour of the room explaining some of the functions.

The room itself was a standard king size bed room. Came with a Keurig machine, and the usual amenities you would expect from a five star hotel. There was two bottles of water (evian) and a hygiene kit on the table (masks, sanitizer, napkins). Unfortunately, no welcome gift of any type was present. I thought maybe a pastry, fruits or a couple of macarons at the basic. But being a Discoverist and booking on points doesn't really afford that much. Despite this, the room was clean and functional. Lights worked, sheets were clean, carpets well kept.

We only utilized the kitchen twice. Once for breakfast and once for cocktails during the evening. Breakfast comes in many flavors at very different price points. We opted for the American Breakfast (50Euros/ea) This came with eggs the way you want, various bread/pastry basket, fruit salad, coffee, yogurts, muesli, and some others. The quality was very good, but I would not argue that you are getting the best value for 50 euros. If you're a globalist, you win. but if you're paying cash, I'd recommend head out to a bakery or some other establishment. The cocktails on the menu were on average 25 euros. I ordered a pisco sour which was decent (should of just got a whisky sour). The ambiance is nice in the courtyard but can be very tight out there, I was almost arms length to the next table. We did not dine at Pur (1* Michelin).

Our interaction with the concierge was fabulous. The golden keys gave us excellent directions, and even reserved a Parisian restaurant nearby for us. I must say I did feel very much valued from their desk.
Overall excellent stay. This was my 2nd time in Paris. The hotel is in a great location very close to many restaurants and tourist destinations. Would i ever pay cash rates for it. 100% No. I haven't been to the Westin (same area Vendome), so I may try that for next time. Let me know if you have any questions of my recent stay.
ceebee100 and tjae like this.
Old Jul 18, 2021, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by woodcmfr
Stayed here from 16 - 18 July 2021. I'm an American that lives and work in Frankfurt, took the ICE train from Frankfurt Bahnhof to Gare de la Est (Roughly 4 hours). Used UBER for most of my transportation between sites in Paris. UBER seems to work just fine here (avg wait times of 7-10mins), probably a tad more expensive than what you're used to in the U.S. but is understandable due to the high costs in Paris.

I stayed here with my fiancé as a weekend getaway before as we suspect most of the European countries go back to heavy restrictions. Hotel was running around 900 Euro/night for a standard room, so obviously redeemed 30K Hyatt pts/night. The bell boys took our bags from our Uber as we went on to the check in desk. The check-in had no line and took maybe 5 mins to complete. They did not ask for negative tests or vaccination proof, but this will seem to change come August 1. The gentleman at the front desk offered to show us to our room, which we took. He was very friendly and gave us a tour of the room explaining some of the functions.

The room itself was a standard king size bed room. Came with a Keurig machine, and the usual amenities you would expect from a five star hotel. There was two bottles of water (evian) and a hygiene kit on the table (masks, sanitizer, napkins). Unfortunately, no welcome gift of any type was present. I thought maybe a pastry, fruits or a couple of macarons at the basic. But being a Discoverist and booking on points doesn't really afford that much. Despite this, the room was clean and functional. Lights worked, sheets were clean, carpets well kept.

We only utilized the kitchen twice. Once for breakfast and once for cocktails during the evening. Breakfast comes in many flavors at very different price points. We opted for the American Breakfast (50Euros/ea) This came with eggs the way you want, various bread/pastry basket, fruit salad, coffee, yogurts, muesli, and some others. The quality was very good, but I would not argue that you are getting the best value for 50 euros. If you're a globalist, you win. but if you're paying cash, I'd recommend head out to a bakery or some other establishment. The cocktails on the menu were on average 25 euros. I ordered a pisco sour which was decent (should of just got a whisky sour). The ambiance is nice in the courtyard but can be very tight out there, I was almost arms length to the next table. We did not dine at Pur (1* Michelin).

Our interaction with the concierge was fabulous. The golden keys gave us excellent directions, and even reserved a Parisian restaurant nearby for us. I must say I did feel very much valued from their desk.
Overall excellent stay. This was my 2nd time in Paris. The hotel is in a great location very close to many restaurants and tourist destinations. Would i ever pay cash rates for it. 100% No. I haven't been to the Westin (same area Vendome), so I may try that for next time. Let me know if you have any questions of my recent stay.
The Westin just down the street bordering the park is a nice property
Old Jul 18, 2021, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Get it while it lasts w/points...converting into a Jumeirah still it seems
Old Jul 18, 2021, 8:02 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
I stayed at the Westin on my first visit to Paris. You can get a large junior suite very cheap compared to the PH, but they are hardly comparable IMHO.

We walked past several times and there were always throngs of tourists walking in and out. Complete contrast to the PH in terms of ambience.
UA-NYC and PETERPNYC like this.

Last edited by m0hamed; Jul 19, 2021 at 7:05 am
Old Jul 19, 2021, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by m0hamed
I stayed here at the Westin on my first visit to Paris. You can get a large junior suite very cheap compared to the PH, but they are hardly comparable IMHO.

We walked past several times and there were always throngs of tourists walking in and out. Complete contrast to the PH in terms of ambience.
In many ways the PHV is superior having said that if one is there on points either the Westin or Marriott Opera is a much better use of points. The PHV has un deniably declined over the years even with a remodel it's the "old lady " once ways and that's sad. We enjoyed many stays Christmas was always a treat there with the blue bulbs one their tree! The bar is one of my favorites anywhere.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 4:36 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, AS MVP Gold, National EE, Hertz PC
I just completed a stay last week, overall a good hotel in a superb location but with some things left to be desired.

As a Globalist booked with points, they only offered an one category upgrade to King Deluxe despite that both Standard/Premium Suites were available at the time of check in. Welcome amenities are great. Services are swift and professional, in line with what is expected from a 5 star hotel, but don’t expect anything above and beyond. Honestly speaking, breakfast is a bit of disappointment. The portion and presentation is excellent but the taste is just lacking. Eggs Benedict are simply not good, we tried French Toast and Waffles both are very subpar. Fruits platter are like those from wholesale mixed fruit packages. Our local brunch spot in California can do a much better job. Globalists gets automatically selected the most expensive “American Breakfast” option (50€ listed price) and then bill taken off in the end, even when my SO ordered less food. I would never pay 50€ pp if it’s out of my pocket.

I noticed another couple in our same flight from the US (AF J) booked the hotels Meet and Assist service. They were only a minute faster than us through the customs, and probably few minutes ahead of us arriving at the hotel. We called Uber from CDG to PH Paris, cost 45€.

On the contrary, I’m currently at PH Zurich. They proactively upgraded me into Junior Park Suite even when all the suites are sold out on the website, which is a great gesture by the hotel. Also, the breakfast here is definitely higher quality compare to PH Paris. The staffs at PH Zurich is more friendly as well.

PH Paris welcome amenity for Globalist, red wine and macarons plus a personal welcome note. The macarons are really good.
tjae and 59Impala like this.

Last edited by zoneflyer; Jul 19, 2021 at 4:47 pm
Old Jul 19, 2021, 5:30 pm

Yep not the same. We stayed at the Park H Vienna pre covid samething without asking upgraded to a medium sized suite two bedrooms etc. Service spectacular.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 5:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by zoneflyer
I just completed a stay last week, overall a good hotel in a superb location but with some things left to be desired.

As a Globalist booked with points, they only offered an one category upgrade to King Deluxe despite that both Standard/Premium Suites were available at the time of check in. Welcome amenities are great. Services are swift and professional, in line with what is expected from a 5 star hotel, but don’t expect anything above and beyond. Honestly speaking, breakfast is a bit of disappointment. The portion and presentation is excellent but the taste is just lacking. Eggs Benedict are simply not good, we tried French Toast and Waffles both are very subpar. Fruits platter are like those from wholesale mixed fruit packages. Our local brunch spot in California can do a much better job. Globalists gets automatically selected the most expensive “American Breakfast” option (50€ listed price) and then bill taken off in the end, even when my SO ordered less food. I would never pay 50€ pp if it’s out of my pocket.

I noticed another couple in our same flight from the US (AF J) booked the hotels Meet and Assist service. They were only a minute faster than us through the customs, and probably few minutes ahead of us arriving at the hotel. We called Uber from CDG to PH Paris, cost 45€.

On the contrary, I’m currently at PH Zurich. They proactively upgraded me into Junior Park Suite even when all the suites are sold out on the website, which is a great gesture by the hotel. Also, the breakfast here is definitely higher quality compare to PH Paris. The staffs at PH Zurich is more friendly as well.

PH Paris welcome amenity for Globalist, red wine and macarons plus a personal welcome note. The macarons are really good.
We stayed there a couple of weeks ago and I asked the question regarding suite upgrades here on this thread. They never proactively upgrade you to a suite it seems. I was also upgraded to the King Deluxe despite a standard Park King Suite being available when I checked the app the morning of check in.
Naturally when I checked in a few hours later and inquired about a suite upgrade, none were available.
We got the macaroons as well, but no wine. Only there for one night, so no big deal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.