Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2014, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: skj
I'm making this thread a wiki since there are issues that keep getting repeated (breakfast and transportation from/to CDG). Feel free to add whatever you feel is important - stick to facts of please and not one off exceptions (eg if you get an upgrade to the Presidential Suite on an award stay without any status - that's definitely a one off that doesn't belong in the WIKI - obviously you can do a regular post on it).

Public transport to the hotel from CDG

The best option is to take the Roissy bus to Opera. From there, the hotel is about a 5 minute walk.

The next best option is to take RER B to Chatelet-Les Halles. All trains from Roissy/CDG head south into Paris so no worries there. Some go express all the way into Paris (Gare du Nord, so Chatelet-Les Halles is the second stop); others are locals, in which case there are a lot of stops; some are half-express, half-local ... but all stop at Chatelet-Les Halles; and there is no point waiting for an express because it is rare if ever that an express will overtake a local. So get on whatever comes first. At Chatelet-Les Halles, transfer to RER A for one stop to Auber (which is joined to Opera station). You will be heading westbound, toward the termini St. Germain-en-Laye/Poissy/Cergny. You have to go up the stairs and back down for the Auber-bound train. Do not race across the platform for the RER B because that will be heading eastbound, to Gare de Lyon, Nation, Vincennes (and, depending on which one you get on, eventually Eurodisney!) The walk from the Auber exit closest to the RER stop takes about 10 minutes.

Public transport to the hotel from Orly

Take the Orlyval train to its end at Antony, then switch to RER B to Chatelet-Les-Halles and continue as above. In this case you can just cross the platform from the RER B to get the RER A headed to Auber.

Breakfast

The breakfast at Cafe Jeanne is free for Globalist members but is 40-50 euros per person otherwise. A modified but still very good version of this buffet breakfast is also available in the room and is also free for Globalists. Tips are not covered but then again the theory in France is that the service charge is in the price.

Museum tickets & pass from the concierge

You can buy "skip the line" tickets to the Louvre or Orsay for 18€ each, which is higher than the regular tickets via the Louvre & Orsay websites. But being able to "skip the line" obviously adds some value. They will also sell you the two day Paris Museum Pass for 55€. That is a 7€ markup.

Phone/data recommendations:
Lebara worked really well for me. What you need to do:
• You must unlock your phone (you can do this for free online with ATT through their website if you are out of contract)
• Order free SIM card at Lebara.fr a few weeks before your trip. I don’t think it took more than 2 weeks for my SIM card to arrive
• Activate SIM card at https://www.lebara.fr/activate-sim-detail?isoCode=en_GB or search “activate SIM” at Lebara.fr
• Load your SIM card with what you need. I paid 10 euro for 3G of data, unlimited SMS and local calls for 10 days (this should be plenty for most tourists)
LeFrench Mobile did not work so well for me: I paid 20-30 euro for local and international calls for my sister but was only able to make local calls and SMS

restaurant recommendations:
Nearby:
(We're here on 1 Oct 2021 and it appears this restaurant is closed permanently ...) Le Cap Bourbon- good, inexpensive, our server was nice and attentive (by French standards), great local crowd, menu has English translation
We ate a local Thai restaurant - Yo - its about a 5 minute walk from the hotel and very busy. I had a guinea fowl green curry - a first for me. Very good food and friendly service.

Other:
L'Avant Comptoir is a wine bar with great,relatively cheap eats and a great atmosphere and friendly, English-speaking staff. Standing room only and tight.

Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2020, 8:34 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by beofotch
Thank you! Very helpful. I am leaning Louvre based on this.
I stopped by Hotel du Louvre in March when we were in Paris and had a tour of the rooms and suites with an agent from the back office. The hotel and staff just had a warmer vibe than I got when I stayed at PHV a few years ago.

I would feel more comfortable at Hotel du Louvre with a couple of 6 year olds.
Old Oct 10, 2020, 11:57 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
I just completed two stays here, and I have to say I was... whelmed.

The first stay was a free night certificate; I was contacted by the concierge a few days ahead and I asked to apply a TSU, which she said she had done. We got the 'Executive Suite', I think — a sort of Jr. Suite room that is kind of just a large room with no separate bedroom but with 1.5 bathrooms.

Lovely welcome with a note, bottle of red wine (Bordeaux). I had some room service as a snack and we ate dinner in, ordering room service for that as well.

The room service dinner was highly disappointing. The items arrived cold (cold steak, yay) and with items missing (I am not sure how you can forget a 3 pepper sauce with a steak if it's pretty much one of three things on the plate). The food was simply not good. At about 180 euros of charge you would expect a bit more. Service overall was fine. We left the next day to drive to the countryside — the Sixt location is right across the street and super convenient. We got room service breakfast which also arrived cold; some sad stale toasted muffins and cold poached eggs for an eggs Benedict and a cold scramble. It was disappointing.

The second stay was on points and three nights. I emailed the same concierge contact to apply another upgrade and she never replied. Upon check-in, I asked if the upgrade was processed and was met with a puzzled look and told that only World of Hyatt can apply a TSU. The front desk made a few calls and then got a suite ready after a wait of about 30 minutes (it was 4 PM already). It was the same suite, except a few floors lower. The suite was incredibly strongly perfumed; upon inquiry that is something they do and they offered an air purifier. We just left for dinner and came back to find it had indeed settled to a more manageable level.

The spa was fine; only the sauna is open, massages were good. Food in the actual restaurant downstairs was good (and the steak comes in a pan, with sauce). Service was out of your way and fine. The room I found downright disappointing, though: after a few nights, a 'canyon' started to form between the two mattresses that form the 'king bed', which is completely unacceptable of a bed in a $1000/night suite. Room service was better (the boiled eggs we ordered were warm, which is massive progress). The place felt utterly deserted, which it probably was.

I think the property is nice. Service was fine. Room service seems to have some issues, perhaps due to reducing staff to save costs? The actual product I am underwhelmed by. The suite was heavily perfumed, the bed a set of twin mattresses pushed together.

I'd probably stay again when business picks up a bit to see if it changes, but I am glad I redeemed some points for this instead of paying thousands of euros. Out of all my Park Hyatt stays, this was probably the most disappointing. I've had far better experiences in Andaz and -- dare I say it -- in Hyatt Regencies.
Old Oct 10, 2020, 2:29 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Room service breakfasts when I was there was the best I ever had. Sounds like they are struggling with service during the pandemic.

Agree with junior suites being a poor offering for a TSU.

They are correct that only WOH can apply a TSU, the hotel can't take it out of your account. If the hotel did it, they made calls to WoH and WoH applied the TSU and then the hotel can assign the room. Much better to go through WoH in the first place to get the TSU on the reservation.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2020, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by caliform
I just completed two stays here, and I have to say I was... whelmed.

The first stay was a free night certificate; I was contacted by the concierge a few days ahead and I asked to apply a TSU, which she said she had done. We got the 'Executive Suite', I think — a sort of Jr. Suite room that is kind of just a large room with no separate bedroom but with 1.5 bathrooms.
I thought we couldn’t use suite upgrade certificates on the free night certificates? Am I wrong?
Old Oct 10, 2020, 8:27 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ceebee100
I thought we couldn’t use suite upgrade certificates on the free night certificates? Am I wrong?
You are not wrong. Sounds like the hotel did the OP a solid with the first upgrade.
ceebee100 and drewp123 like this.
Old Oct 11, 2020, 6:22 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Gold, BA Gold
[QUOTE=beachfan;32737925]Room service breakfasts when I was there was the best I ever had. Sounds like they are struggling with service during the pandemic.

Agree with junior suites being a poor offering for a TSU.

They are correct that only WOH can apply a TSU, the hotel can't take it out of your account. If the hotel did it, they made calls to WoH and WoH applied the TSU and then the hotel can assign the room. Much better to go through WoH in the first place to get the TSU on the reservation.[/QUOT

From my understanding (and 50 stays there) Park and Patk Deluxe are junior suite (i.e. No suite) but from Executive the living room is separated ?
Old Oct 11, 2020, 7:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Tit, Hyatt Diamond, AA EXP, UA Silver, IHG Plat
Sophoclefr you are correct, the executive is the first category with a separate living area. The Park Suite King and Park Deluxe don’t have a formal partition.

I spent a week here in September and service was at the standard level, i.e. excellent. There are a few changes; e.g. one masseuse, so the spa tends to book up quickly.

The suggestion there are better HR is laughable. Though, the poster also attempted to apply a TSU via the hotel concierge, rather than WOH, which suggests a general lack of familiarity with the program.

Last edited by drewp123; Oct 11, 2020 at 8:57 pm
Old Oct 19, 2020, 4:47 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Originally Posted by drewp123
Sophoclefr you are correct, the executive is the first category with a separate living area. The Park Suite King and Park Deluxe don’t have a formal partition.

I spent a week here in September and service was at the standard level, i.e. excellent. There are a few changes; e.g. one masseuse, so the spa tends to book up quickly.

The suggestion there are better HR is laughable. Though, the poster also attempted to apply a TSU via the hotel concierge, rather than WOH, which suggests a general lack of familiarity with the program.
Oh, pardon me for being 'unfamiliar with the program'. I've stayed at a half-dozen Park Hyatts on various continents and a few hundred hotels but I usually buy my suites rather than using upgrades. I figured I'd use one now, and I asked the hotel. They're more than welcome to tell me to contact Hyatt, but they applied it for me. That's great — either way, I got a suite, and I am happy with that. I didn't complain about that, either.

I think it's a bit silly to call a room a suite, but it was fine.

There's aspects of the hotel that might normally be spectacular, but with many parts of it closed, it's indeed not impressive compared to other offerings that Hyatt has. I think if those parts are closed, you'd expect that whatever remains is still at a great or even good level of service and attention.

Compared to a recent stay at the Hyatt Regency in Amsterdam, they got several things right that I would expect a non-luxury hotel to, let alone what is supposed to be one of the best Park Hyatts in Europe:

- I ordered room service and it arrived with the correct items and not completely cold;
- The room never had any kind of dubious or bothersome odor;
- The bed was a single mattress, which is fairly standard around the world when getting a bed that two people sleep in rather than being composed of two mattresses pushed together;
- People at the HR remembered my name and greeted me attentively (this varies greatly per country, property and local culture, but it was something I'd expect a Park Hyatt to do rather than a HR).

So, apologies to the poster who thought my opinion was 'laughable', but I would rather consider it laughable to spend upwards of 800-1000 euros per night staying at this property with these extremely basic things (food, beverage, hard product) being a poor offering.
platbrownguy likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2020, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Oh, pardon me for being 'unfamiliar with the program'. I've stayed at a half-dozen Park Hyatts on various continents and a few hundred hotels but I usually buy my suites rather than using upgrades. I figured I'd use one now, and I asked the hotel. They're more than welcome to tell me to contact Hyatt, but they applied it for me. That's great — either way, I got a suite, and I am happy with that. I didn't complain about that, either.

I think it's a bit silly to call a room a suite, but it was fine.

There's aspects of the hotel that might normally be spectacular, but with many parts of it closed, it's indeed not impressive compared to other offerings that Hyatt has. I think if those parts are closed, you'd expect that whatever remains is still at a great or even good level of service and attention.

Compared to a recent stay at the Hyatt Regency in Amsterdam, they got several things right that I would expect a non-luxury hotel to, let alone what is supposed to be one of the best Park Hyatts in Europe:

- I ordered room service and it arrived with the correct items and not completely cold;
- The bed was a single mattress, which is fairly standard around the world when getting a bed that two people sleep in rather than being composed of two mattresses pushed together;
- People at the HR remembered my name and greeted me attentively (this varies greatly per country, property and local culture, but it was something I'd expect a Park Hyatt to do rather than a HR).

So, apologies to the poster who thought my opinion was 'laughable', but I would rather consider it laughable to spend upwards of 800-1000 euros per night staying at this property with these extremely basic things (food, beverage, hard product) being a poor offering.
This PH has suffered from poor management for many years. It should do better for what it is and the position it occupies as one of Hyatt's top European properties.
caliform likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2020, 6:30 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by Aventine
This PH has suffered from poor management for many years. It should do better for what it is and the position it occupies as one of Hyatt's top European properties.
The best manager the PHV had is sitting in London at the Churchill which is all the more for his being there! Claudio has failed
Old Oct 23, 2020, 12:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Tit, Hyatt Diamond, AA EXP, UA Silver, IHG Plat
My local HP meets these conditions, too, but it wouldn’t lead me to conclude it’s a superior property to the PH Paris. To each their own I suppose.
Old Jan 30, 2021, 11:03 am

Quick question about a potential (covid permitting) stay ... we'd like to do 5 nights here, of which we'll book 2 on points, and the other 3 via our Virtuoso TA. We are thinking to book into a park suite (stayed here years ago and think I had a room category above that, but also have stayed in a park deluxe which was quite crammed) w/ points, and our paid booking will be in the base category. Would we be able to combine the two reservations, and would booking into a suite w/ points further our chances of getting upgraded to a suite with the virtuoso booking?

I know this is very hypothetical and no one would know for certain, but just curious if anyone has done something similar in the past and how it worked out. We are Hyatt Explorist, if that matters.

Also thinking it may make sense (points wise) to just book the base room on points as well, combine the two reservations, and hope that the explorist status + upgrade via virtuoso would get us into a nice room. My fear is that room would be the next category, park deluxe, which would be slightly disappointing for us...
Old Jan 30, 2021, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by kthpence
Quick question about a potential (covid permitting) stay ... we'd like to do 5 nights here, of which we'll book 2 on points, and the other 3 via our Virtuoso TA. We are thinking to book into a park suite (stayed here years ago and think I had a room category above that, but also have stayed in a park deluxe which was quite crammed) w/ points, and our paid booking will be in the base category. Would we be able to combine the two reservations, and would booking into a suite w/ points further our chances of getting upgraded to a suite with the virtuoso booking?

I know this is very hypothetical and no one would know for certain, but just curious if anyone has done something similar in the past and how it worked out. We are Hyatt Explorist, if that matters.

Also thinking it may make sense (points wise) to just book the base room on points as well, combine the two reservations, and hope that the explorist status + upgrade via virtuoso would get us into a nice room. My fear is that room would be the next category, park deluxe, which would be slightly disappointing for us...
I have done this before paid room first then tag awards on the back end but was done with "My Hyatt Concierge" which made it work well for me. Having said that I would suggest you book then called the property or Hyatt Gold line to strengthen your case. Generally works
Old Jan 30, 2021, 5:16 pm
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by kthpence

I would book the room you want and not count on this property to do anything above and beyond what they are required to do for you - if they even do that. Unless you are a returning, cash paying Glob, getting a suite (even the junior suite this property calls their standard suite) without using an upgrade instrument is unlikely.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2021, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by skj
I would book the room you want and not count on this property to do anything above and beyond what they are required to do for you - if they even do that. Unless you are a returning, cash paying Glob, getting a suite (even the junior suite this property calls their standard suite) without using an upgrade instrument is unlikely.

You know since Claudio took over a few years ago frankly PHV is just not the same which is surprising since he ran the mirror property in Milan which is where I got to know him. Shame I do think contrary to your comment if you book paying then two nights awards your chances are pretty good.
kthpence likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.