Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2014, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: skj
I'm making this thread a wiki since there are issues that keep getting repeated (breakfast and transportation from/to CDG). Feel free to add whatever you feel is important - stick to facts of please and not one off exceptions (eg if you get an upgrade to the Presidential Suite on an award stay without any status - that's definitely a one off that doesn't belong in the WIKI - obviously you can do a regular post on it).

Public transport to the hotel from CDG

The best option is to take the Roissy bus to Opera. From there, the hotel is about a 5 minute walk.

The next best option is to take RER B to Chatelet-Les Halles. All trains from Roissy/CDG head south into Paris so no worries there. Some go express all the way into Paris (Gare du Nord, so Chatelet-Les Halles is the second stop); others are locals, in which case there are a lot of stops; some are half-express, half-local ... but all stop at Chatelet-Les Halles; and there is no point waiting for an express because it is rare if ever that an express will overtake a local. So get on whatever comes first. At Chatelet-Les Halles, transfer to RER A for one stop to Auber (which is joined to Opera station). You will be heading westbound, toward the termini St. Germain-en-Laye/Poissy/Cergny. You have to go up the stairs and back down for the Auber-bound train. Do not race across the platform for the RER B because that will be heading eastbound, to Gare de Lyon, Nation, Vincennes (and, depending on which one you get on, eventually Eurodisney!) The walk from the Auber exit closest to the RER stop takes about 10 minutes.

Public transport to the hotel from Orly

Take the Orlyval train to its end at Antony, then switch to RER B to Chatelet-Les-Halles and continue as above. In this case you can just cross the platform from the RER B to get the RER A headed to Auber.

Breakfast

The breakfast at Cafe Jeanne is free for Globalist members but is 40-50 euros per person otherwise. A modified but still very good version of this buffet breakfast is also available in the room and is also free for Globalists. Tips are not covered but then again the theory in France is that the service charge is in the price.

Museum tickets & pass from the concierge

You can buy "skip the line" tickets to the Louvre or Orsay for 18€ each, which is higher than the regular tickets via the Louvre & Orsay websites. But being able to "skip the line" obviously adds some value. They will also sell you the two day Paris Museum Pass for 55€. That is a 7€ markup.

Phone/data recommendations:
Lebara worked really well for me. What you need to do:
• You must unlock your phone (you can do this for free online with ATT through their website if you are out of contract)
• Order free SIM card at Lebara.fr a few weeks before your trip. I don’t think it took more than 2 weeks for my SIM card to arrive
• Activate SIM card at https://www.lebara.fr/activate-sim-detail?isoCode=en_GB or search “activate SIM” at Lebara.fr
• Load your SIM card with what you need. I paid 10 euro for 3G of data, unlimited SMS and local calls for 10 days (this should be plenty for most tourists)
LeFrench Mobile did not work so well for me: I paid 20-30 euro for local and international calls for my sister but was only able to make local calls and SMS

restaurant recommendations:
Nearby:
(We're here on 1 Oct 2021 and it appears this restaurant is closed permanently ...) Le Cap Bourbon- good, inexpensive, our server was nice and attentive (by French standards), great local crowd, menu has English translation
We ate a local Thai restaurant - Yo - its about a 5 minute walk from the hotel and very busy. I had a guinea fowl green curry - a first for me. Very good food and friendly service.

Other:
L'Avant Comptoir is a wine bar with great,relatively cheap eats and a great atmosphere and friendly, English-speaking staff. Standing room only and tight.

Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward)

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2015, 10:46 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by FD1971
It seems you are simply five years plus late to the party.

Vendome used to be what you described earlier, but that was before the (local) competition upped the ante significantly, before the Grand Berlin started winning internal Hyatt competitions and other places like Milan or Zurich opened its doors.

But I fear that this is the fate most hotels have to endure, they are always new kids around and in some cases they even close for long periods and rebuild existing infrastructure for years to up the ante once more, not only in Paris, London or Milan.

I understand that many guests from the US are still vowed, because even today a place like Vendome is vastly superior to all Hyatt properties in the US, but times are changing so fast...

In some cases, Hyatt and the owners reacted (B&O 4:3 TV sets in Zurich) in some cases they did not react, coulours at Vendome (Gold armatures from another era) or carpets in Milan (terribly worn)

Both are still great places to stay, I just do not buy into the Hype about Vendome any longer, but maybe we have more comparable hotels in Europe and Asia, so the difference is not that big in comparison to guests from the US who are used to not so nice Grand or Park Hyatt properties.
I agree that there's always a new kid on the block or another property having a major renovation. However there are other "Park's
in the US that are pretty damn nice, sans of course being in Paris, and European style service. I have stayed at several of the other top hotels in Paris and frankly whether I am paying or points frankly the PHV is a s good as it gets.

True it's worn and they need to begin to repair/replace/upgrade but that can be done over time. Same goes for Milan and that's another great property, my opinion.
Old May 30, 2015, 5:13 pm

Vendome used to be what you described earlier, but that was before the (local) competition upped the ante significantly, before the Grand Berlin started winning internal Hyatt competitions and other places like Milan or Zurich opened its doors.
Vendome has the palace designation, but is not top of the market, I agree. FS GV and now Le Bristol, under Didier Le Calvez, are widely regarded as the best. Pen not there (yet). Grand Berlin is, like most German Hyatts, very mediocre from a guest's perspective and the GM under fire from several esteemed users here. Awful hotel.

In some cases, Hyatt and the owners reacted (B&O 4:3 TV sets in Zurich) in some cases they did not react, coulours at Vendome (Gold armatures from another era) or carpets in Milan (terribly worn)

Both are still great places to stay, I just do not buy into the Hype about Vendome any longer, but maybe we have more comparable hotels in Europe and Asia, so the difference is not that big in comparison to guests from the US who are used to not so nice Grand or Park Hyatt properties.
Hard for owners to react really, Zurich and Paris are both owned by Hyatt itself with no other parties involved.
I think you are right that a hype is not justified, but Vendome just delivers. And very Parisian.
Old May 30, 2015, 8:22 pm

I do not think PH Vendome is hyped up, it's just very popular because it is an excellent value for award stays and for paid stays as a Diamond member. It also is a very nice hotel, although a notch or two below the top properties in town.

Anyone who does not like its decor or who is unhappy with the condition of its rooms and suites is free to pay $,$$$ per night to stay at a better hotel.
Old May 31, 2015, 1:00 am

Originally Posted by MikeFromToky
Anyone who does not like its decor or who is unhappy with the condition of its rooms and suites is free to pay $,$$$ per night to stay at a better hotel.
^^
I think it's a reasonable assumption to make that those saying that PHV is "dated" and "no longer competitive to the best ones in town" are capable of, and willing to, pay for the clearly top luxury hotels in Paris such as the FSGV, Le Bristol or PA to which the comparison appears to be made. Because otherwise, it's a case of saying "The Lexus is a bad car compared to the Rolls Royce", but then not being able to, or willing to, pay for the Rolls Royce, making the comparison an academic exercise.

It's going to be at least a good 10 years (if ever!) until I am comfortable paying the sorts of rates those "top tier hotels" in Paris want, which basically seems to be around 1,000EUR per night. Therefore, PHV represents more or less the top price I am willing to pay (in cash or points) and the best quality for that cost.

I suspect that many (but obviously not all) of the people who are not complaining about the PHV will belong to the same category as me.
Old May 31, 2015, 1:32 am

Originally Posted by stargold
I suspect that many (but obviously not all) of the people who are not complaining about the PHV will belong to the same category as me.
PH Vendome is also the go-to choice for those seeking a more contemporary hotel, which is hard to come by in Paris. Most Parisian top hotels are old world. The MO is modern too, and one of Sybille de Margerie's better designs, but it could be anywhere. Same could be said of the Pen's guest rooms, even though the hotel has had a stunning renovation and everything is of supreme quality.
Service was ultimately better at PHV compared to MO (and Pen in early days), which worries me. Staff does care and they lack attitude.
Old May 31, 2015, 6:56 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
^^
I think it's a reasonable assumption to make that those saying that PHV is "dated" and "no longer competitive to the best ones in town" are capable of, and willing to, pay for the clearly top luxury hotels in Paris such as the FSGV, Le Bristol or PA to which the comparison appears to be made. Because otherwise, it's a case of saying "The Lexus is a bad car compared to the Rolls Royce", but then not being able to, or willing to, pay for the Rolls Royce, making the comparison an academic exercise.

It's going to be at least a good 10 years (if ever!) until I am comfortable paying the sorts of rates those "top tier hotels" in Paris want, which basically seems to be around 1,000EUR per night. Therefore, PHV represents more or less the top price I am willing to pay (in cash or points) and the best quality for that cost.

THERE is nothing wrong with the PHV versus some of the "other" top hotels in Paris I agree and much prefer the PHV.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 12:50 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by scented
Vendome has the palace designation, but is not top of the market, I agree. FS GV and now Le Bristol, under Didier Le Calvez, are widely regarded as the best. Pen not there (yet). Grand Berlin is, like most German Hyatts, very mediocre from a guest's perspective and the GM under fire from several esteemed users here. Awful hotel.
He is under fire from several esteemed users?

Wow, now that is really something to want avoid at any cost, being under fire from a few guests on an IBB...

Regarded as the best brings us back to the Grand Berlin and you might want to do some research who regarded the Grand Berlin as the best Hyatt systemwide...

It might be a more esteemed audience than a few grumpy FT'ers, who are simply not getting upgraded to Daimler or Maybach anymore and also do not get a free transfer any longer.

Under the bottom line, both properties are in need of a renovation and do not really deliver what they used to deliver ten years ago. The Grand Berlin was the best Hyatt hotel systemwide, Vendome used to be the poster child for a smaller kind of hotel, but both are simply in need of another round of innovations.

Maybe, we should ask Bernd's daugther to move over to Europe to do the job... ^
Old Jun 1, 2015, 12:55 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by edgewood49
THERE is nothing wrong with the PHV versus some of the "other" top hotels in Paris I agree and much prefer the PHV.
Aside from the fact that Vendome is more dated, that the restaurats lack the esteem of most of the restaurants of the competition and the fact that the guests to employee ratio is lower, I agree.

Like some people pointed out earlier, it is somehow the lite&dated version of a Palace Hotel, hence not comparable to 12-13 years ago, when it was at the very top.

Again, still a very good hotel, still a devent value, but simply not what it used to be ten years ago at 15k and shortly after the opening.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 1:21 am

Even though rack rates may suggest PH Vendome operates in the same market segment as the city's top hotels, to a large extent that is not true. When corporate rates, award redemptions, and upgrades are considered this hotel is substantially less expensive than properties that do not really discount much.

Every hotel goes through cycles between renovations. The difference between most hotels and hotels like FS George V is that at the George V rooms and public spaces are refurbished before it is needed, so that it never even starts to look tired.

Comparing a hotel that is accessible with 30k GP points and even credit card sign up bonus nights to the George V, Bristol, PA, Meurice, S-L, etc.. is not an apples to apples comparison. It is a different product at a different price point.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 5:17 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QR G, A3 G, EK G, IHG Amb, GHA Black, WOH LT something
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Even though rack rates may suggest PH Vendome operates in the same market segment as the city's top hotels, to a large extent that is not true. When corporate rates, award redemptions, and upgrades are considered this hotel is substantially less expensive than properties that do not really discount much.

Every hotel goes through cycles between renovations. The difference between most hotels and hotels like FS George V is that at the George V rooms and public spaces are refurbished before it is needed, so that it never even starts to look tired.

Comparing a hotel that is accessible with 30k GP points and even credit card sign up bonus nights to the George V, Bristol, PA, Meurice, S-L, etc.. is not an apples to apples comparison. It is a different product at a different price point.

I don't agree with you. You mention they are at different price point, which is not entirely true imo:
- rooms upgrades at the PH you get by HGP, but at other properties you get via Virtuoso/FHR.
- SL, FS, etc also have their corporate rates.
- award redemption: SL has their own program with redemption as well. and as far i am aware PHV is paid for award nights / CC night by HGP...

so i don't consider it at a different price point, different product yes. as I am really not a fan of the golden decor and the small statues in the rooms.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 5:44 am

Originally Posted by synd
so i don't consider it at a different price point, different product yes. as I am really not a fan of the golden decor and the small statues in the rooms.
Of course it is not a cheap hotel by any means, but clearly its ADR is lower than, say, FS GV where virtually everyone pays published rates.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 5:51 am

Originally Posted by synd
I don't agree with you. You mention they are at different price point, which is not entirely true imo:
- rooms upgrades at the PH you get by HGP, but at other properties you get via Virtuoso/FHR.
- SL, FS, etc also have their corporate rates.
- award redemption: SL has their own program with redemption as well. and as far i am aware PHV is paid for award nights / CC night by HGP...

You can directly buy 30k points for 500USD during Hyatt's regular point sale offers. Hyatt offers last room availability for standard rooms, which means you can always redeem the 30k for a night at the PHV provided there is base room availability, regardless of whether the paid rate for the same room is 500EUR or 900EUR. This applies to any tier of Hyatt.

Alternatively, if you can find the availability, you can do a C+P with Diamond Suite Upgrade to basically get a Park Suite for a marginally higher cost per night, provided you are Diamond.

Speaking of direct financial cost, I can't really see how it could get much cheaper than that.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 6:29 am

Speaking of direct financial cost, I can't really see how it could get much cheaper than that.
Exactly. And even on paid stays it is easy to book a Virtuoso rate (discounted from BAR) and apply a DSU. This will land you an Executive Suite, or possibly even a higher category suite if you are lucky. That is in addition to the one way Virtuoso airport transfer and other benefits. And one will earn GP points for the stay.

One would have to be a VIP at George V to get upgraded from a base room to a mid level suite, and practically speaking that would be very unlikely to happen.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 6:37 am

One would have to be a VIP at George V to get upgraded from a base room to a mid level suite, and practically speaking that would be very unlikely to happen.
One who expects to end up in a suite at FSGV will very unlikely be relying on freebie upgrades to get him/her there!
Old Jun 1, 2015, 6:43 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QR G, A3 G, EK G, IHG Amb, GHA Black, WOH LT something
Of course it is not a cheap hotel by any means, but clearly its ADR is lower than, say, FS GV where virtually everyone pays published rates.
That's where i think you're mistaken. FS has corporates rates too which are unpublished. You have a lof people not paying an ADR of 1000 + euros / night.

The price is not the same but they are not the same properties, exactly like there is a difference in cost between the PH SYD and the 4S SYD where the PH is about on average 2x the cost of the 4s...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.