Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2014, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: skj
I'm making this thread a wiki since there are issues that keep getting repeated (breakfast and transportation from/to CDG). Feel free to add whatever you feel is important - stick to facts of please and not one off exceptions (eg if you get an upgrade to the Presidential Suite on an award stay without any status - that's definitely a one off that doesn't belong in the WIKI - obviously you can do a regular post on it).

Public transport to the hotel from CDG

The best option is to take the Roissy bus to Opera. From there, the hotel is about a 5 minute walk.

The next best option is to take RER B to Chatelet-Les Halles. All trains from Roissy/CDG head south into Paris so no worries there. Some go express all the way into Paris (Gare du Nord, so Chatelet-Les Halles is the second stop); others are locals, in which case there are a lot of stops; some are half-express, half-local ... but all stop at Chatelet-Les Halles; and there is no point waiting for an express because it is rare if ever that an express will overtake a local. So get on whatever comes first. At Chatelet-Les Halles, transfer to RER A for one stop to Auber (which is joined to Opera station). You will be heading westbound, toward the termini St. Germain-en-Laye/Poissy/Cergny. You have to go up the stairs and back down for the Auber-bound train. Do not race across the platform for the RER B because that will be heading eastbound, to Gare de Lyon, Nation, Vincennes (and, depending on which one you get on, eventually Eurodisney!) The walk from the Auber exit closest to the RER stop takes about 10 minutes.

Public transport to the hotel from Orly

Take the Orlyval train to its end at Antony, then switch to RER B to Chatelet-Les-Halles and continue as above. In this case you can just cross the platform from the RER B to get the RER A headed to Auber.

Breakfast

The breakfast at Cafe Jeanne is free for Globalist members but is 40-50 euros per person otherwise. A modified but still very good version of this buffet breakfast is also available in the room and is also free for Globalists. Tips are not covered but then again the theory in France is that the service charge is in the price.

Museum tickets & pass from the concierge

You can buy "skip the line" tickets to the Louvre or Orsay for 18€ each, which is higher than the regular tickets via the Louvre & Orsay websites. But being able to "skip the line" obviously adds some value. They will also sell you the two day Paris Museum Pass for 55€. That is a 7€ markup.

Phone/data recommendations:
Lebara worked really well for me. What you need to do:
• You must unlock your phone (you can do this for free online with ATT through their website if you are out of contract)
• Order free SIM card at Lebara.fr a few weeks before your trip. I don’t think it took more than 2 weeks for my SIM card to arrive
• Activate SIM card at https://www.lebara.fr/activate-sim-detail?isoCode=en_GB or search “activate SIM” at Lebara.fr
• Load your SIM card with what you need. I paid 10 euro for 3G of data, unlimited SMS and local calls for 10 days (this should be plenty for most tourists)
LeFrench Mobile did not work so well for me: I paid 20-30 euro for local and international calls for my sister but was only able to make local calls and SMS

restaurant recommendations:
Nearby:
(We're here on 1 Oct 2021 and it appears this restaurant is closed permanently ...) Le Cap Bourbon- good, inexpensive, our server was nice and attentive (by French standards), great local crowd, menu has English translation
We ate a local Thai restaurant - Yo - its about a 5 minute walk from the hotel and very busy. I had a guinea fowl green curry - a first for me. Very good food and friendly service.

Other:
L'Avant Comptoir is a wine bar with great,relatively cheap eats and a great atmosphere and friendly, English-speaking staff. Standing room only and tight.

Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2014, 2:39 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by Bohemiana
I was about ready to book 3 nights in June at the Vendome using points (transferred from Ultimate Rewards) but since reading the bad reviews I'm thinking I might book the du Louvre instead for 10k fewer points per night. Since I don't have status with Hyatt, maybe it would be a better choice anyway. Thoughts? (I've read reviews of each hotel but I haven't read any comparisons between the two.)
The Louvre is a new acquisition by Hyatt don't let some of the posts fool you the PHV is a great hotel and in the years I have been staying there have had nothing but the best !
Old Dec 5, 2014, 2:49 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
I was about ready to book 3 nights in June at the Vendome using points (transferred from Ultimate Rewards) but since reading the bad reviews I'm thinking I might book the du Louvre instead for 10k fewer points per night. Since I don't have status with Hyatt, maybe it would be a better choice anyway. Thoughts? (I've read reviews of each hotel but I haven't read any comparisons between the two.)
I would pay double to stay at Vendome. The staff is amazing. This is especially important if you plan to use concierge for reservations. I would pay for breakfast for eat least one night. Hyatt cc gives you Platinum and 1/2 of breakfast.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 2:53 pm

Programs: AA, SWA, most hotel programs
Originally Posted by thucanhho
I would pay for breakfast for eat least one night. Hyatt cc gives you Platinum and 1/2 of breakfast.
OK. I'm leaning toward spending all my points on the Vendome but I can't "stomach" spending 50 euros for breakfast. Although that's a good tip about the Hyatt cc to get it for half off. I just got accepted for AA platinum card so after that spend maybe I'll get the Hyatt.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA, SWA, most hotel programs
Oh bummer! I just recalculated and I'm short 2,000 for 3 nights at the Vendome. I might go ahead and book the du Louve for 3 nights and then cancel after I get more points if Vendome is still available.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 3:18 pm

Completely different properties. PHV is sleek sophisticated Paris, while du Louvre is historical atmospheric Paris. If you like sleek and modern, you will not like du Louvre. If you want to feel like you are in an amazing historic city, you will not like PHV. Personally, I found PHV cold and lacking personality, but I am not a fan of chic and modern.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 3:19 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Oh bummer! I just recalculated and I'm short 2,000 for 3 nights at the Vendome. I might go ahead and book the du Louve for 3 nights and then cancel after I get more points if Vendome is still available.
Just buy the 2,000 points.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 3:34 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
Why do I remember reading somewhere that you can book a reservation through customer service and are allowed to "owe" a nominal # of points to be deposited in the near future when making a award reservation?

50 euro/person is a lot. I recommended more for the service/ambiance than food. Was just in Paris/Copenhagen and dropped almost $1K for 2 at each Noma and Geranium and 32 euro for a mojito to sit at Meurice so I need to recalibrate my costs.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 3:44 pm
Suspended

OK. I'm leaning toward spending all my points on the Vendome but I can't "stomach" spending 50 euros for breakfast. Although that's a good tip about the Hyatt cc to get it for half off. I just got accepted for AA platinum card so after that spend maybe I'll get the Hyatt.
The breakfast isn't all it's cracked up to be. It's good, but I've had a tons of "equal to or better" hotel breakfasts. If you can't get the PH breakfast for free - it's a blessing in disguise. Why? Because if you're in town for leisure, there's no reason to sit at your hotel in the morning. Get outside and experience something.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 4:11 pm

If I ever going to stay at PHV again, it would be solely based on the location. If you`ll be out of the room a lot, then it makes sense to have a bed in that area-it`s hard to beat, but if you are planning to stay in the hotel a lot, then this most likely will be a disappointment.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 5:21 pm
GB

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton GLD
I had great expectations of this hotel when I stayed for the first time this September. I'm Diamond. The breakfast was very nice but if I wasn't Diamond and had to pay, I would walk a half block across the street to a nice café with fresh bakery and coffee and have breakfast for less than 7-8 Euros. I think the illusion of greatness with this property does not align with the reality of the rooms and physical property.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 1:03 am

Originally Posted by GB
...I think the illusion of greatness with this property does not align with the reality of the rooms and physical property.
I don't think it is an illusion of greatness at all. It is a very nice hotel.

Are there better options in Paris if paying full rack rate at PH Vendome? Of course. But if you are on an award stay, or able to get a better rate (corporate, FHR, Virtuoso, etc.) and then get a substantial upgrade on top of that, it is probably the best value proposition in Paris.

30k points per night for a hotel of that caliber is the best redemption value I am aware of in Paris. Hotel Prince de Galles is a category 7 property in SPG, and therefore redemption rates range from 30~35k SPG points. From what I understand about point valuation, this is effectively double the cost of 30k GP points, if not more.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Dec 6, 2014 at 1:18 am
Old Dec 6, 2014, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by GB
I had great expectations of this hotel when I stayed for the first time this September. I'm Diamond. The breakfast was very nice but if I wasn't Diamond and had to pay, I would walk a half block across the street to a nice café with fresh bakery and coffee and have breakfast for less than 7-8 Euros. I think the illusion of greatness with this property does not align with the reality of the rooms and physical property.
Barely
Old Dec 6, 2014, 6:30 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

You're suffering from some "illusions" yourself if you think that a 5star hotel will compete with the price of breakfast at a cafe down the street. Please tell me of any location that does? Or how that would even be possible...
Old Dec 6, 2014, 7:59 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Bonvoy Plat, HHonors Diamond, DL Gold
I find the Park Hyatt Vendome to be one of most overrated hotels discussed on Flyertalk. Actually, it is a very good hotel. I stayed there using Chase CC Free Nights. The staff was professional, courteous, and helpful. The room, albeit small, was well laid-out and quiet. Everything about my stay went as expected.

The problem is value. If using Chase CC Free nights, one can use those at any Hyatt. I was happy to be able to use them at the Park Hyatt Vendome. The room rate price of around 800 euros per night in late May was ridiculous. Good for Hyatt, because some people will pay that. For paying cash, there are other competitive hotels charging a fraction of that, including hotels that have rooms which compare favorably to the Standard level rooms at the Park Hyatt Vendome. I preferred staying in the Deluxe Room at the Hyatt Madeleine, and also in the Luxury level room at Sofitel's Hotel Scribe. Both cost less than the PH Vendome's Standard rooms. Actually, I preferred the Hotel Scribe overall to the PH Vendome. The service at the Hotel Scribe was both professional and warm. Perhaps the PH Vendome could exude more warmth. Only a couple of blocks away, I also slightly preferred the Hotel Scribe location to the PH Vendome.

When Hyatt charged 22000 points per night for a free night, that was a much better value. At 30000 points, with no 5th night free, the extra points needed materially change the value, and really add up for 4-5 night stays. Maybe some still see great value at 30000 points per night, or 800 euros per night. I see 30000 Gold Passport Points used at the PH Vendome as saving about 400-500 Euros per night (the rate available for better rooms elsewhere). Park Hyatt Vendome is a very good hotel, but not a *statement* hotel as some make it out to be. There are hotels with better rooms and excellent service to be found elsewhere.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by conde
I find the Park Hyatt Vendome to be one of most overrated hotels discussed on Flyertalk. Actually, it is a very good hotel. I stayed there using Chase CC Free Nights. The staff was professional, courteous, and helpful. The room, albeit small, was well laid-out and quiet. Everything about my stay went as expected.

The problem is value. If using Chase CC Free nights, one can use those at any Hyatt. I was happy to be able to use them at the Park Hyatt Vendome. The room rate price of around 800 euros per night in late May was ridiculous. Good for Hyatt, because some people will pay that. For paying cash, there are other competitive hotels charging a fraction of that, including hotels that have rooms which compare favorably to the Standard level rooms at the Park Hyatt Vendome. I preferred staying in the Deluxe Room at the Hyatt Madeleine, and also in the Luxury level room at Sofitel's Hotel Scribe. Both cost less than the PH Vendome's Standard rooms. Actually, I preferred the Hotel Scribe overall to the PH Vendome. The service at the Hotel Scribe was both professional and warm. Perhaps the PH Vendome could exude more warmth. Only a couple of blocks away, I also slightly preferred the Hotel Scribe location to the PH Vendome.

When Hyatt charged 22000 points per night for a free night, that was a much better value. At 30000 points, with no 5th night free, the extra points needed materially change the value, and really add up for 4-5 night stays. Maybe some still see great value at 30000 points per night, or 800 euros per night. I see 30000 Gold Passport Points used at the PH Vendome as saving about 400-500 Euros per night (the rate available for better rooms elsewhere). Park Hyatt Vendome is a very good hotel, but not a *statement* hotel as some make it out to be. There are hotels with better rooms and excellent service to be found elsewhere.

So your conclusion is as long as it's free then it's a good hotel otherwise ----

I have stayed at many hotels throughout the world over the years and PHV is one of the top ones for me, free or paying. You only get what you pay for and PHV is location, superbly trained European staff, no short cuts, and did I say location?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.