Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Waikoloa Village {US-HI}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 26, 2014, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
To jump to the year in which you would like to search, please click on the desired years:

1999 | 2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014

Better yet, please feel free to add links to what you believe are portions of this discussion with important information about the Hilton Waikoloa Village® hotel property.

Examples from a different discussion not yet updated here:
Please report any errors — such as broken links, for example — to the moderators of the Hilton | Hilton HHonors forum.

Thank you.
Print Wikipost

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Waikoloa Village {US-HI}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2012, 3:31 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
During our stay last year we meat many locals who were there with their kids for the weekend. as i recall one group telling us they lived in hilo and would come about every other month for a saturday night to bring the kids to play in the pools as a specal treat. they said they got the rooms for like 99 per night. my son greatly enjoyed having lots of kids to play with.
As for staying local we live in socal and often get a room for just a night to be able to use the pool and feal like we are on vacation even if we are only 4 miles from the house. Vacation is a state of mind not just a destination, i dont always have to get onto an airplane to enjoy some relaxation.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by msmont
Hmmm, okay apologies about the comments on the locals. To me it seems unlikely that someone who lives on this island would stay at an expensive resort hotel on the island. I was unaware that locals might get a different rate. It seemed more likely to me that the 20 or so kids that are about 15 years old know someone who works at the hotel who would slip them a pass for the pool. The resort is pretty crowded, I would hope that the employees aren't doing that.
I didn't know that either, but then again HI residents always got some 1-off perks that us mainlanders didn't, eg on NWA they could get the UG.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Of course a non-resident is going to dislike Kama'aina rates - but offering discounts to people who would otherwise travel to the mainland or who might not otherwise be able to afford a vacation (and they have a right to take a vacation too) is a prudent and perfectly acceptable way to keep local tourism dollars, local.

Do you also object to the Florida resident rates for the Orlando theme parks and other Florida hotel properties? I've seen special rates published for residents of Taipei, Los Angeles, New York, etc etc. I see nothing wrong with it...especially when I'm paying $170 for something a mainlander is paying $300 for, or in the case of the FS, $350 for a $800 room.
Yes I do object in all those cases. I have seen some very limited discounts for CA residents here in LA, 10% off or so and maybe a perk or two added like free breakfast. I suspect its similar in FL. Never anything of magnitude of HI kamaaina discounts. Unlike HI when people visit california we don't charge them 2-3x what we pay.
You can keep local tourism by other means like offering last minute rates that usually only locals can benefit from or packaging some extras tht may be of value primarily to the locals.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 4:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by azepine00
Yes I do object in all those cases. I have seen some very limited discounts for CA residents here in LA, 10% off or so and maybe a perk or two added like free breakfast. I suspect its similar in FL. Never anything of magnitude of HI kamaaina discounts. Unlike HI when people visit california we don't charge them 2-3x what we pay.
You can keep local tourism by other means like offering last minute rates that usually only locals can benefit from or packaging some extras tht may be of value primarily to the locals.
Well I like the status quo - and give the long history of Kama'aina specials (not just at hotels, but tourist attractions as well), the program is here to stay.

HWV is not the only hotel offering the program - you can find Kama'aina specials at almost every property from the Sheraton Keahou all the way up to the Mauna Kea and Prince...and on every other island.

One thing to consider - when occupancy rates at a hotel hit a certain number, the K-specials are gone...everyone pays the same rate.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 10:08 pm

Programs: Delta - Plat, Hilton - Diamond
I suppose the rates make sense if the hotel is trying to fill available space. I just got back from driving all over the island, I'm going to reverse my earlier opinion, if you lived in Hilo it would make sense to spend the night here, it's a pretty far drive. Also they offered a 5 night stay for 600 dollars (tax included) as a return guest. The offer came as a voice mail.

Some other notes. Some of the other towers besides the Ocean tower seem to have a real bad problem with bird noise. I've walked by a couple times and they are really loud. Seems to be only in in evening and morning. The monorail is nice, but you can really walk as fast as it goes, so unless you are tired you might as well walk and enjoy the nice artwork. Lastly most of the things I wanted to do seem to be pretty far from the Ocean tower, the others are more convenient.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

.. Also they offered a 5 night stay for 600 dollars (tax included) as a return guest. The offer came as a voice mail.

I stayed at that property many times in the past (it's probably my favorite hilton in US with decent upgrades, spa access for diamonds and very pleasant feel overall) and i don't recall ever getting this offer. Do you have any details?
Old Jan 23, 2012, 10:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
...Some of the other towers besides the Ocean tower seem to have a real bad problem with bird noise. I've walked by a couple times and they are really loud. Seems to be only in in evening and morning. ...
That's part of the Hawaiian charm - especially the doves who coo in the morning.

One item of note - I noticed both monorails operating when I was there, but the boat was a rare sight.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 5:56 am

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by sargenet
The Hilton Waikoloa has some wonderful rates for residents of Hawaii (so do a majority of hotels on Hawaii). Like anyone else, this is a great place to come and stay with your family...whether you are a resident of the Big Island or coming over from another island. It is much cheaper to take a trip over to a neighbor island for rest and relaxation than flying back to the mainland. It is wrong to assume that these people are anything other than guests. And the hotel might also sell day passes to use the facilities (not sure) but even if they do what is the problem with that?
From what I have read HWV does sell day passes - you get use of a room for the day and pool access for $160 for up to four people.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 5:57 am

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by bocastephen
That's part of the Hawaiian charm - especially the doves who coo in the morning.

One item of note - I noticed both monorails operating when I was there, but the boat was a rare sight.
I'm guessing they are referring to the myna birds (which didn't bother me).

The funny thing about the monorail is we just missed it one morning - but walked to the next stop and caught up.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by azepine00
Yes I do object in all those cases. I have seen some very limited discounts for CA residents here in LA, 10% off or so and maybe a perk or two added like free breakfast..
right now disneyland is offering socal residence only 2 days at either park for 99, for everyone else its 160. there are lots more liek this is you look for them
Old Jan 24, 2012, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by BrlDsguise
I'm guessing they are referring to the myna birds (which didn't bother me).
I love the myna bird songs, i goto hawaii to enjoy the beauty of nature, not to have nature adapt my my schedule
Old Jan 24, 2012, 4:39 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
I suppose the rates make sense if the hotel is trying to fill available space. I just got back from driving all over the island, I'm going to reverse my earlier opinion, if you lived in Hilo it would make sense to spend the night here, it's a pretty far drive. Also they offered a 5 night stay for 600 dollars (tax included) as a return guest. The offer came as a voice mail.

Some other notes. Some of the other towers besides the Ocean tower seem to have a real bad problem with bird noise. I've walked by a couple times and they are really loud. Seems to be only in in evening and morning. The monorail is nice, but you can really walk as fast as it goes, so unless you are tired you might as well walk and enjoy the nice artwork. Lastly most of the things I wanted to do seem to be pretty far from the Ocean tower, the others are more convenient.
If you read up this thread, you'll see one poster many years ago called the birds "deafening". I laughed and then I stayed here, then I understood.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 6:25 pm

Programs: HHonorsDiamond
Originally Posted by mnredfox
If you read up this thread, you'll see one poster many years ago called the birds "deafening". I laughed and then I stayed here, then I understood.
I too read a lot of reviews about the birds. When we stayed in June '10 we used points to upgrade to one of their 1 bedroom suites. Our son slept on the fold out sofa in the living room which is where the entrance was to the room. Sure enough, twice a day, the birds did their thing! It was crazy loud!!! We were only there 2 nights and I can't recall what times of day this happened, but I remember thinking "I am so glad I am in this other room 'cause I would not be able to sleep!!!" And my son was a heavy sleeper so he wasn't bothered.

First time we heard it we thought "Wow" and went outside to check it out! Yeah..it was loud! This was in the Lagoon Tower. Our room was right in the middle of the tower....4th or 5th floor facing the dolphin lagoon. This time when we go back in June I am not upgrading to a one bedroom. But I worry a little about the bird noise and if it will occur when I am sleeping! No way could I sleep through it!
Old Jan 25, 2012, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by sargenet
I too read a lot of reviews about the birds. When we stayed in June '10 we used points to upgrade to one of their 1 bedroom suites. Our son slept on the fold out sofa in the living room which is where the entrance was to the room. Sure enough, twice a day, the birds did their thing! It was crazy loud!!! We were only there 2 nights and I can't recall what times of day this happened, but I remember thinking "I am so glad I am in this other room 'cause I would not be able to sleep!!!" And my son was a heavy sleeper so he wasn't bothered.

First time we heard it we thought "Wow" and went outside to check it out! Yeah..it was loud! This was in the Lagoon Tower. Our room was right in the middle of the tower....4th or 5th floor facing the dolphin lagoon. This time when we go back in June I am not upgrading to a one bedroom. But I worry a little about the bird noise and if it will occur when I am sleeping! No way could I sleep through it!
We stayed on the 4th floor in the middle of the lagoon tower in may 11 and as i recall teh birds started at about 8pm and went til 9pm then started up again about 3:30Am and went til 5:00 AM. the first night after ariving from the mainland we were up at 3:30 anyways since my 3yo son thought it was 6:30 and wanted breakfast.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by particlemn
We stayed on the 4th floor in the middle of the lagoon tower in may 11 and as i recall teh birds started at about 8pm and went til 9pm then started up again about 3:30Am and went til 5:00 AM. the first night after ariving from the mainland we were up at 3:30 anyways since my 3yo son thought it was 6:30 and wanted breakfast.
It's amazing, the birds are like clockwork and when they start, they don't stop til night as you say!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.