Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2019, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by alice50734
I contact the resort stating that “there’s no mention of compulsory yacht transfer in my booking nor was it on the website when I booked”
However, they replied
“Regret to inform that we’re unable to allow third party transfers as transfer policies has been finalized based on guests feedback to ensure safety and security of all our guests.
The BS keeps on coming.....
Old Aug 14, 2019, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak

what would happen if you booked a third party transfer and they dropped you off? I dont think they would tell you to leave.. but maybe they would still charge you the yacht transfer fee for both directions still?
Old Aug 14, 2019, 10:49 am

If they had stated clearly on their website, then I would have booked another resort...
It’s nothing wrong about not allowing third party transfer, it’s that they changed the policy without any notice.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by alice50734

If they had stated clearly on their website, then I would have booked another resort...
It’s nothing wrong about not allowing third party transfer, it’s that they changed the policy without any notice.
wow that is BS. WA being Sneaky. That's rude.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 11:25 am

That's hardly anything new.

Originally Posted by Eyesonthepoints
what would happen if you booked a third party transfer and they dropped you off? I dont think they would tell you to leave.. but maybe they would still charge you the yacht transfer fee for both directions still?
They wouldn't dare to do either. There would be fallout not only from Hilton USA but from lawyers all around the globe.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 8:26 pm

Looking to extend my stay on February, if anyone has a points booking that he's planning to cancel on 1/31,2/1 or 2/2 - please let me know. It will be much appreciated.
and thanks everyone for all these amazing detailed reviews, I enjoyed a lot reading all this thread.

Last edited by Israshot; Aug 14, 2019 at 8:37 pm
Old Aug 15, 2019, 5:18 am

Honestly better to just ignore non informational stuff and move on as it’ll just devolve even further.

Last edited by NightFury1; Aug 15, 2019 at 5:37 am
Old Aug 15, 2019, 10:10 am

Programs: Emirates Gold, United Silver, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Gold
Latest trip advisor review blasts the private yacht experience and pricing.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...ale_Atoll.html
Old Aug 15, 2019, 12:44 pm

And the one after it also. Well.....what did they expect. That it was somehow going to be ignored? Makes you wonder how much they think content posted on TripAdvisor is going to affect their bottom line.

And here's the link to the review you are talking about: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUser...ale_Atoll.html
Old Aug 15, 2019, 1:20 pm

And the GM, Etienne Dalancon, has replied to the 1-star review. You can read it here. I mention this as this is the only time so far that he has replied in person.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 1:40 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
And the GM, Etienne Dalancon, has replied to the 1-star review. You can read it here. I mention this as this is the only time so far that he has replied in person.
That was a pretty inconsequential and disconcerting response from the GM to my mind! The review was pretty clear on the various issues...and the GM disputed not one.

At first I was a bit cautious to believe the review and thought it a bit more bitter grapes than necessarily all issues in every case--since the reviewer has but 6 reviews in total. But the details involved made me a bit more believing. The GM's response made me much more believing, actually.

To be fair, anyone who visits a brand new luxury resort within a few months of opening is begging for teething issues and problems. The true measure will be honestly positive reviews in the early days and the reviews after the first 6 months.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 8:41 pm

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
Originally Posted by bhrubin
To be fair, anyone who visits a brand new luxury resort within a few months of opening is begging for teething issues and problems. The true measure will be honestly positive reviews in the early days and the reviews after the first 6 months.
Very true - staying here within the first six months is a huge risk to take, particularly if you are paying cash.

That being said, the transfer experience does seem incredibly underwhelming and it wouldn't be a surprise if the resort will be rated a star below it's 'true rating' on Tripadvisor because of (edit: sp) this alone, unless they re-think it.

Last edited by Kilian Zoll; Aug 15, 2019 at 10:04 pm
Old Aug 15, 2019, 9:26 pm

To be fair, anyone who visits a brand new luxury resort within a few months of opening is begging for teething issues and problems.
Originally Posted by Kilian Zoll
particularly if you are paying cash.
+1

Originally Posted by Kilian Zoll
That being said, the transfer experience does seem incredibly underwhelming and it wouldn't be a surprise if the resort will be rated a star below it's 'true rating' on Tripadvisor because if this alone, unless they re-think it.
You mean "because of this alone".
I think it could well result in 2 points less a lot of the time. One point off for the transfer and, if they encounter service or other issues, another point.
Kind of unbelievable about the room card though. Why didn't they just replace the lock and fix it later? Engineering could've gone there, tested it (as you would expect them to do) then replaced it within 15min while the guests were out.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 10:04 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
We went there expecting some minor flaws issues but believe it or not, we had an excellent stay. My wife and I had a chat the other day just to reflect about our visit and we still conclude that our stay was overwhelmingly positive. There are some minor things they can improve on eg. better afternoon tea offering, better offering on the yacht. We might write a hotel review down the track but don't know when as I am a serious procrastinator.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 10:05 pm

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
+1
You mean "because of this alone".
Yes, I have edited the typo in my previous post.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.