Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2019, 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by WorldTravl
A new option on atoll transfer showed up for transfers to WA. For USD1924RT
I think the resort will reject it anyways, but it looks up to their "standards"
https://www.atolltransfer.com/beneteauyachtmaldives
Here are the 2 options

Airport-Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi

Private speed boat ( Small Speed boat)

Price for private speedboat all pax (small boat)Maximum 4 pax

One way $325

Two way $650

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Private Luxury yacht Beneteau gt 40 ( 6 pax transfer)

One way $ 962

Two way $1924

They can be found on this page and by using the pulldown menu and selecting the resort (it's right at the bottom)

Anyway, you'd think that advertising that they can transfer you to this resort without first confirming with the Waldorf is a bit strange.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 12:21 am

How much in food would a typical one week stay run you here?
Old Aug 16, 2019, 4:16 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, Etihad Guest, Singapore Kris Flyer
Any Spa reviews and pictures?
Is the Spa costing at par with CMR or 30% markup continues here as well.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 5:36 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Advice would be appreciated from the seasoned Maldives travellers please...

Been tracking this thread for months and booked 5 nights for honeymoon in November on points.

Never been to the Maldives - never been to anywhere comparable to the Maldives - so the likelihood that any resort I go to both my wife and I would find beautiful.

Love food and eating well. Wouldn’t describe myself as wealthy but do spend money on valuable experiences (edible and otherwise!)

It’s our honeymoon so we want it to be special AF. My question is given the teething problems and inflated prices, should I look to switch to the Conrad and get an OW Villa?

if someone has done the pros and cons of each, Ive yet to see it. But if someone who’s been to both fancies doing it the info would be invaluable

p.s. I have the mistake yacht fare confirmed. Where the conf email said the price was for return not one way.

thanks
Old Aug 16, 2019, 11:02 am

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by james0499
if someone has done the pros and cons of each, Ive yet to see it. But if someone who’s been to both fancies doing it the info would be invaluable
This thread has a comparison -
WA Maldives vs Conrad vs Conrad Bora Bora

Last edited by jbeckett; Aug 16, 2019 at 1:42 pm
Old Aug 16, 2019, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by james0499
Advice would be appreciated from the seasoned Maldives travellers please...

Been tracking this thread for months and booked 5 nights for honeymoon in November on points.

Never been to the Maldives - never been to anywhere comparable to the Maldives - so the likelihood that any resort I go to both my wife and I would find beautiful.

Love food and eating well. Wouldn’t describe myself as wealthy but do spend money on valuable experiences (edible and otherwise!)

It’s our honeymoon so we want it to be special AF. My question is given the teething problems and inflated prices, should I look to switch to the Conrad and get an OW Villa?

p.s. I have the mistake yacht fare confirmed. Where the conf email said the price was for return not one way.

thanks

Hmmm.....if you want a natural setting, choose Rangali (the Waldorf is 95% man-made. See the discussion a few pages back).

If you want variety and overwater experiences for your F&B, choose Rangali. The Waldorf has its fair share of 'interesting' dining options but none fully over water (Rangali has 2 + under water as well), some tacky, a ripoff and a bit silly unless you happen to be a bird (Terra, see the wiki for conversations about this venue). Jasmeen has mixed reviews, some say great, some say cheap imitation. Obviously there's no point in talking much about beach bars and buffet restaurants (Waldorf wins hands down here for buffet restaurant) but everything that Rangali has to offer as far as over-water and beach dinners has more substance; tried and tested menus that have been there for a decade or more, classy locations like Vilu and Mandhoo (which have won multiple awards for ambience, romantic atmosphere, luxury / scenic setting etc), private and large beach areas and fantastic locations for the Private Beach Dining option. Actually I made a mistake in my initial summary - it's not really fair to compare these because one property has these offerings and the other pretty much does not - currently the Waldorf has only a few semi-overwater tables at Li Long and no beach dinners or anything like Koko Grill (which is set into the beach, rather than just on it) - there just isn't enough space for them because the resort's packed so tightly and beachfront is at a premium. I also have the feeling that by design the Waldorf didn't try to encroach too much on Rangali's territory here (you have to remember that they are both in the same chain and perhaps wanted to differentiate F&B-wise). Basically, Rangali's F&B operation has been consistently winning awards for god knows how many years [url=https://newsroom.hilton.com/conrad/news/conrad-maldives-rangali-island-dining-voted-best-in-world](here are some from 2017 as an example) so if you want to stick with something that's got class, and class in the fact that management hasn't set them up to fleece you (admittedly Ithaa being borderline in this area) and has a reputation, then I definitely recommend Rangali.

If you want brand new and much better accommodations, choose the Waldorf (except if you're well off enough to stay at the Muraka, LOL!).
If you want consistently great service choose Rangali (although you may strike it lucky at the Waldorf like @alanslegal did). Remember, it's a new resort and even by November the consistency may not be up to true Waldorf standard.
The transfer fee is, in your case, reasonable, and that won't leave you feeling gouged. Pretty important for a honeymoon, however Rangali has the seaplane ride which you'll love - there's the Wow! factor because it really is spectacular flying over the atolls for an hour.
Rangali has a free Congratulations dinner (marriage cert not older than one year needed). Not sure about the Waldorf.
And finally, overall, the pricing is pretty overboard at the Waldorf if you really look into it and compare the two. At Rangali you'll feel much more relaxed about everything price-wise.

If I wasn't on a honeymoon and had been to this kind of place (semi-private / uncrowded tropical island destination) before and I had high standards for accommodation and I didn't care about money, I'd choose the Waldorf. If I were in your position, I'd make sure I'd choose the place that would give me the best and most consistent experience possible, and at this point in time Rangali would win easily. And as a bonus you'll be saving quite a lot of money and, in most areas, getting more bang for you buck in the process.

Hope that helps. If you end up deciding on the Conrad and want a dining plan for it let me know and I'll make one up for you.
Whatever you choose I wish you have a great time. Oh, and see the Rangali thread for how to arrange your international flights to maximize your time on the islands. Add a few nights to your itinerary if you can. 5 nights will fly by!

Last edited by MaldivesFreak; Aug 18, 2019 at 2:31 pm Reason: Clarifications & expansions on F&B recommendations
Old Aug 16, 2019, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Hmmm.....if you want a natural setting, choose Rangali (the Waldorf is 95% man-made...
MF has much more Maldives experience than I, so I defer....but it sure looks like 100% of the Resorts in the Maldives are 95% man-made....including Rangali....though I get the trees planted there in 1997 might look more natural then the trees planted a few months ago at the Waldorf.

TD

Last edited by Traveler Dave; Aug 16, 2019 at 4:38 pm
Old Aug 16, 2019, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by TravellerLux
Any Spa reviews and pictures?
Is the Spa costing at par with CMR or 30% markup continues here as well.
My iPad is being annoying...will upload more and post a review a little later....

List of services. Prices were there, but I see they have now been removed ;(

https://waldorfastoria3.hilton.com/r...u_Aug_2019.pdf

TD

Last edited by Traveler Dave; Aug 16, 2019 at 7:02 pm
Old Aug 16, 2019, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Here are the 2 options

They can be found on this page and by using the pulldown menu and selecting the resort (it's right at the bottom)

Anyway, you'd think that advertising that they can transfer you to this resort without first confirming with the Waldorf is a bit strange.

Nice find!!!! Any thoughts on taking this to Waldorf? What is Waldorf gonna do to you if you arrive in this, send you away???������.. lol

It's not the money. It's that there yacht is a RIP OFF. At least what I can see from pictures and what people are saying...

Either do the right thing and lower the price to a fair market value.

Or pimp(expletive deleted by mod)it!!!!!!! ��������

Last edited by squeakr; Aug 16, 2019 at 9:20 pm Reason: using #($ to mask profanity
Old Aug 16, 2019, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by Traveler Dave
MF has much more Maldives experience than I, so I defer....but it sure looks like 100% of the Resorts in the Maldives are 95% man-made....including Rangali....
I don't know about the percentage of resorts built within the last 5 or 6 years (and there are a lot of new resorts being built, from about 2015 there were plans for more than 20) but before that 95% of them were not man-made. The major exception being the One & Only.

As for Rangali, you've been there, haven't you?
Old Aug 16, 2019, 9:55 pm

This is probably a stupid question.
But do you guys think that an upgrade to a 2-bedroom villa is possible with $$ in the future? Cause I wouldn't mind paying 1200$ a night for a two-bedroom beach or reef villa. (Mainly because I was going into my Maldives trip with a 1200$/night budget for accommodation)
Old Aug 16, 2019, 10:09 pm

This is probably a stupid question.
But do you guys think that an upgrade to a 2-bedroom villa is possible with $$ in the future? Cause I wouldn't mind paying 1200$ a night for a two-bedroom beach or reef villa. (Mainly because I was going into my Maldives trip with a 1200$/night budget for accommodation)
Cash upgrade is available now. Quoted these prices over voucher/points booking in February for a stay in July.

Two Bedroom Beach - US$2000+ 23.2% Tax and service charge
Two Bedroom Grand Beach - US$2200+ 23.2% Tax and service charge
Two Bedroom Reef - US$2200+ 23.2% Tax and service charge
Two Bedroom Overwater - US$2400+ 23.2% Tax and service charge

TD

Old Aug 16, 2019, 10:14 pm

Thanks, TD
Old Aug 16, 2019, 10:17 pm

Here are some good pictures. I found it on a Chinese Conde Nast article, there were the only photos that have not already been posted by WA. Kinda blurry

Old Aug 16, 2019, 10:21 pm

Thanks, TD
They look pretty sweet. The extra bedroom is actually a physically separate bedroom room and bathroom. But not sure if is worth the extra dinero unless you are two couples. The Grand version of their suites is more than enough room for 4 people. But I was secretly hoping they would offer up one as a free upgrade.

Speaking of that, has anyone been given a free upgrade? We were there 10 days and never offered anything over what we paid for with Diamond status. Was really thinking they would offer those up, at least the first few months.

TD

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.