Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2019, 11:51 am

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, DL PM, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by beefninja
Yes, that is all correct. Originally, Beach Villa was the cheapest room and the points option. Now, it is the most expensive of the (non-2BR) rooms, but is still the points option.

Definitely will not be paying to upgrade. Am mostly trying to determine if I'm missing something, so that I can confirm my "downgrade" to a OWV before the resort changes its mind again.
Wow, this is definitely bizarre. I had booked a king beach villa on points and agreed to a $200++ upgrade to a king grand beach villa, which I am now booked in. Now, it looks like king grand beach is the most expensive room type during my stay, and that every other category (sans 2-br) as you said is less expensive. Good upgrade value I guess?
Old Aug 20, 2019, 12:05 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by Michael19887
Wow, this is definitely bizarre. I had booked a king beach villa on points and agreed to a $200++ upgrade to a king grand beach villa, which I am now booked in. Now, it looks like king grand beach is the most expensive room type during my stay, and that every other category (sans 2-br) as you said is less expensive. Good upgrade value I guess?
The upgrade from BV to grand BV, from RV to grand RV, and from OWV to grand OWV is $200 for all of them in 2019 if I am not mistaken. Now based on the 2020 pricing, the upgrade to "Grand" regardless of which type (BV, RV, OWV) seems to be a whopping $1600. So to answer your question, possibly yes good value for Grand at $200.

The value of "Grand" is another head scratcher. I can see them revisiting the add-on but from $200 to $1600...
Old Aug 20, 2019, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by pointsmanager
When I saw your post I decided to email them (my stay is in February). This is what they answered:
"Please be informed that for next year we have changed our villa category. Kindly note that the Reef Villa will be our based category next will be the Overwater Villa and the Beach Villa.
Basically the Beach Villa will be a higher category compared to reef Villa and Overwater Villa. If you need any further assistance please do let us know."
I can't see any reason they are doing this, why they structure their prices in such a manner? Anyone that stayed in the OWV or RV saw any downside to stay there?
I can only guess a supply/demand issue and/or competing with the other hotels. To the later, Conrad BB offers a full OW option with points. They may just be trying/needing to provide a similar offering. It could also be they are finding people are going beach and full OW and that the Reef is the red headed step-child in the mix.

I know many would feel the beach is the "downgrade" option. But the reality is that option is the one they have the fewest rooms available. So families not wanting to sign a waiver to stay in an OW or Reef may feel a need to stay in the beach. Others may just like it more. So by making the Reef the points "free" option they can get a little more $$$ to "upgrade" you to the beach. Their logic of supply/demand may be a little off however, given that currently the beach room is the cheap option. Once they start charging a premium for the BV my guess is the demand with settle down.

We stayed in the Grand Beach and Grand Reef. We wanted to try both options. We were happy we did. It was a nice balance to walk out the back and take a stroll down the beach. Then nice to jump off our deck for a little snorkeling.

To answer your question, not sure there is any benefit (other than to say you did it) paying for the full OW. Once you are past the gates for your suite (Reef and OW) you can not tell the difference. The OW are also the farthest away from everything. May be a plus for some. But even a room close to the "action" is very secluded and quiet once inside. I am sure they will still be able to command a higher price for the OW, just because it is what people come to experience. But I would place it 3rd on where I would pick on our return. Even if the prices were the same for the OW vs RV I would pick the RV every time...but I have done the OW thing a few times so YMMV.

Last edited by Traveler Dave; Aug 20, 2019 at 2:02 pm
Old Aug 20, 2019, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by Traveler Dave
I can only guess a supply/demand issue and/or competing with the other hotels. To the later, Conrad BB offers a full OW option with points. They may just be trying/needing to provide a similar offering. It could also be they are finding people are going beach and full OW and that the Reef is the red headed step-child in the mix.

I know many would feel the beach is the "downgrade" option. But the reality is that option is the one they have the fewest rooms available. So families not wanting to sign a waiver to stay in an OW or Reef may feel a need to stay in the beach. Others may just like it more. So by making the Reef the points "free" option they can get a little more $$$ to "upgrade" you to the beach. There logic of supply/demand may be a little off however, given that currently the beach room is the cheap option. Once they start charging a premium my guess if the demand with settle down.

We stayed in the Grand Beach and Grand Reef. We wanted to try both options. We were happy we did. To answer your question, not sure there is any benefit (other than to say you did it) paying for the full OW. Once you are past the gates for your suite (Reef and OW) you can not tell the difference.
If you had a choice between a BV and the OWV (based on what you think it might be like from your experience in the RV), what would you pick?
Old Aug 20, 2019, 2:02 pm

Whoever is managing the hotel prices should get fired. I get that most people probably pay 1/2 the online price via a travel agent, but the price of reef villa during my stay in early April is 4000$. From a consumer perspective actually wanting to book this hotel without a travel agent, these rates would be laughable. Also, 1/2 of the people who stay here probably stay for free, cause their Instagram shows them going to 4-6 different resorts Well good for us points people cause the resort gonna be abandoned next year unless WA compts these travel "advisors" free stays. For example, look at the Westin on Instagram, it looks like they give free stays to relatively famous people (500,000 followers+) while at WA most only have like (1000-5000) maybe one or two over (500,000).
Old Aug 20, 2019, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by escape4
The value of "Grand" is another head scratcher. I can see them revisiting the add-on but from $200 to $1600...
For $200++ to upgrade from the standard to grand was a no-brainer for us. Especially with our 10 year old. It gave her space and more importantly us space. If we ever went back without her I would pocket the $200++. No need to upgrade to the grand if there are just two people. But if they really think they can get $1600++ for a grand upgrade they are smokin' some really good stuff. You could get an extra room (on points purchased) for less than that.

TD
Old Aug 20, 2019, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by beefninja
If you had a choice between a BV and the OWV (based on what you think it might be like from your experience in the RV), what would you pick?
For me, I would go with the OWV over the BV...if they are priced the same. I like laying in bed looking out at the water. Or being able to jump in to the water right off the room. I know people have complained that the BV rooms don't have enough foliage between the rooms (ours did), but I feel there is way too much foliage in front of the suite. I came to the Maldives to enjoy the ocean, not look at a hedge. I get it provides privacy, but I would rather see the ocean and close the blinds at night.

TD

Old Aug 20, 2019, 4:25 pm

Question...is it "Maldives" or "the Maldives"?

I came to the Maldives to enjoy the ocean
or
I came to Maldives to enjoy the ocean

TD
Old Aug 20, 2019, 5:15 pm

The Republic of Maldives.
So "Maldives."
apparently i'm wrong thinking it was The Maldives.

Question...is it "Maldives" or "the Maldives"?

I came to the Maldives to enjoy the ocean
or
I came to Maldives to enjoy the ocean

TD
Old Aug 20, 2019, 5:15 pm

They must be tinkering with the website again regarding cash rates and points bookings. As others have stated the pricing make no logical sense. I have to assume they will update it soon. Currently for 8/20/20 the cheapest room is the King Reef @ $1600++, but has "Book with Hilton Honors Points Call 1-800-WALDORF" which traditionally means that this is a premium room commanding more than the 120K base room stay. The first, and only, room bookable for 120K is the King Beach with the cash rate of $2300++. The Double Queen Beach is not even showing a points rate plan option. Where every other plan/room style does.

I'd say Hilton may want to find another web page guy.

TD
Old Aug 20, 2019, 6:59 pm

Rewards booking

Is the system broke again?
I can’t change nor cancel my rewards booking, but cash booking works.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by alice50734
Is the system broke again?
I can’t change nor cancel my rewards booking, but cash booking works.
Looks like it is site wide...I get the following when looking at my Conrad BB reservations....

Your reservation summary is below. For assistance or questions about this reservation, please call Customer Care at +1-855-271-3617 or visit Customer Care.

From the app it shows I can’t cancel my points reservations because the date to cancel had passed...the reservation is for July next year....Great work Hilton I.T.!

TD
Old Aug 20, 2019, 8:30 pm

Looks like it is site wide...I get the following when looking at my Conrad BB reservations....

Your reservation summary is below. For assistance or questions about this reservation, please call Customer Care at +1-855-271-3617 or visit Customer Care.

From the app it shows I can’t cancel my points reservations because the date to cancel had passed...the reservation is for July next year....Great work Hilton I.T.!

TD
It showed that I booked five nights king beach villa with 0 points. LOL
Old Aug 20, 2019, 8:59 pm

Price for my dates. LOL. WA ithaafushi is drunk
Old Aug 20, 2019, 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by WorldTravl

Price for my dates. LOL. WA ithaafushi is drunk
Well that makes the boat transfer seem far less expensive, by comparison. Nice wag the dog work Hilton. Maybe they will announce a desire to buy Greenland next week.

TD

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.