Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2019, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by goldelite8
...............After experiencing the yacht transfer, I actually think the price of $300/pp + 23.2% service charge/tax each way is kind of reasonable.............
Thank you for your detailed review. It would be nice if WA can offer different transfer prices based on yachts.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by Traveler Dave

I would just follow the directions they emailed you. No way they go against what they previously emailed you. If they give you any hassle tell them, nicely, you are more than willing to let them get you in their boat for free. Let them know you expect them to honor their commitment, but are willing to work with their new policy. Again, be nice, don’t threaten.

TD
Have had a few friendly emails back and forth with the WA. They promised by email to me on early May that private transfer is possible, but now they have changed their mind, and apperantly are not planning to honour that promise:
"We regret to inform you that we are unable to allow the third party boat to enter to our resort premises." and "We would like to inform you that we are unable to provide any further discount for our transfer fee." Further discount being the standard pricing of 300++.

I have now asked the reservations deparment to get a confirmation from the General Manager of the hotel that they'll not honour their promise nor give a discount. I did actually think they would honour their promise, silly me. Anything else that could be done? Besides the social media bashing
Old Aug 26, 2019, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by mikamal
Have had a few friendly emails back and forth with the WA. They promised by email to me on early May that private transfer is possible, but now they have changed their mind, and apperantly are not planning to honour that promise:
"We regret to inform you that we are unable to allow the third party boat to enter to our resort premises." and "We would like to inform you that we are unable to provide any further discount for our transfer fee." Further discount being the standard pricing of 300++.

I have now asked the reservations deparment to get a confirmation from the General Manager of the hotel that they'll not honour their promise nor give a discount. I did actually think they would honour their promise, silly me. Anything else that could be done? Besides the social media bashing
That’s so ridiculous. I didn’t get email directly from them that private transfer is possible, however, as I was communicating with WA, the reservation manager said, “Being a Waldorf Astoria and staying true to our communication, we honored any guest who we communicated via email that we do accept 3rd party transportation. And this applied to that guest only who we addressed in that email.“
LOL They aren’t going to honour anything they said. Great service WA!
Old Aug 26, 2019, 1:47 pm

What a bunch of unorganized, unprofessional.....{insert improvised abusive text here}!!

Don't worry folks, there's very likely to be a revelation as far as their analattitude goes with 3rd party transportation policy. Stay tuned.

As for you guys who have already been told you can take 3rd party transportation to get there, stick to your guns!

Last edited by MaldivesFreak; Aug 27, 2019 at 12:57 pm
Old Aug 26, 2019, 4:15 pm

Programs: Emirates Gold, United Silver, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
What a bunch of unorganized, unprofessional.....{insert improvised abusive text here}!!

Don't worry folks, there's very likely to be a revelation as far as their analattitude goes with 3rd party transportation policy goes. Stay tuned.

As for you guys who have already been told you can take 3rd party transportation to get there, stick to your guns!
Do you know sometime we don't know or are you thinking that the WA is hearing enough flack that they will have to play nice??
Old Aug 26, 2019, 5:00 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K; Alaska MVP 75K; Hilton Honors Diamond; Hertz Pres Circle
With respect to all of the transfer discussion, I explicitly told management in person that their failure to disclose the mandatory nature of the yacht transfer is an opening for legal liability for them and that they need to be careful. They told me they recognize there are issues with disclosures on the website and sounded like they were going to be making changes.

Another complaint I have is that for anything that goes wrong, they seem to apologize profusely and then do nothing about it. One of my pet peeves. I got multiple people who work here to say to me that the transfer pricing is ridiculous and not competitive.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 7:44 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by goldelite8

Another complaint I have is that for anything that goes wrong, they seem to apologize profusely and then do nothing about it. One of my pet peeves. I got multiple people who work here to say to me that the transfer pricing is ridiculous and not competitive.
We had a fire alarm go off and on island-wide in all villas loud enough to wake the dead from 11 p.m. - 11:15 p.m. one night and there was no apology at all.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 7:46 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by mikamal
Anything else that could be done?

Tell them you booked flights in reliance on their promise to allow third party transfer and ask if they'll cancel your reservation and cut you a check for $2,000 for the canceled flights. I mean, I'm assuming that's true. I don't know. Only you know that. They could ask to see the airline booking dates and proof. Or they may not and might just reduce the transfer fee further.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 3:24 am
wsc

Hi - maybe I misread but are some people getting the OWV for 120k per night? I know the BV is 120k per night and that's what I was going to book...
Old Aug 27, 2019, 4:04 am

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
Originally Posted by windk
I also emailed them to change 2/5 nights from BV to OWV free of charge for our April 2020 stay! Thanks all for sharing this (we saved 400x2x23.2%!)
What have I missed -- are there free upgrades to OWV? We got an April 2020 stay as well.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 5:49 am

Programs: Delta Kryptonium-Platinum Medallion, Hyatt/Hilton Diamond
Deleted, double post.

Last edited by AirForceFlyer; Aug 27, 2019 at 7:44 am Reason: Double Post
Old Aug 27, 2019, 5:52 am

Programs: Delta Kryptonium-Platinum Medallion, Hyatt/Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Traveler Dave
SCUBA Pics

Quick BIO: I am 52 years old. Have been diving since I was 15. Most of my vacations since I was 25+ have had diving/snorkeling in the mix. Done several dive boat charters.

I can tell you this is hands down the best dive boat I have ever been on. I get that everything is brand new, but they know how to do this right.

Thanks for the insight! Staying there next week and was wondering how much it costs to dive there? We are PADI Advanced Divers and would not need a refresher dive if that makes a difference.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 1:29 pm

I'm really dumbfounded by some of the things I'm reading here. Down right inexcusable but even weirder is that these things are, well.....weird. I mean, amongst everything else that's weird like ghosts, can they not afford to fork out a few bucks on each bicycle and install dynamo-powered lights with an ambient light sensor on them (so they only shine at night)?

Originally Posted by Moflav
Do you know sometime we don't know or are you thinking that the WA is hearing enough flack that they will have to play nice??
You mean "do you know something we don't.....?"
Yes.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by Kilian Zoll
What have I missed -- are there free upgrades to OWV? We got an April 2020 stay as well.
it's a free downgrade. beach villas are now considered a higher tier than OWV

can confirm it's good for March 2020 as well
Old Aug 27, 2019, 3:11 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Ronin - churn and burn
Originally Posted by AirForceFlyer

Thanks for the insight! Staying there next week and was wondering how much it costs to dive there? We are PADI Advanced Divers and would not need a refresher dive if that makes a difference.
I could have sworn that somebody posted the full price list from Ocean Dive but I can't seem to find it now.
I've emailed them and will upload it once they send it over.

In the meantime I've added the activity list to the wiki, this includes a limited selection of dive prices:
Activities Brochure (prices as of July 2019)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.