Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2019, 4:50 am

Programs: AA EP/4MM, DL GM/1MM, HH ♦, Bonvoy LT PLT, Hyatt Globalist, AMEX Bus Plt
Originally Posted by Roque Corona
Nice bike tour of the island visible here: https://youtu.be/342sltC50PU
Seems like it will be quite some time before those island paths are shaded like the Conrad.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 5:17 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by texmanufan

Seems like it will be quite some time before those island paths are shaded like the Conrad.
Wife and I are here right now and the foliage by the main beach (Nava, Terra, the Rock) will need a lot of time. Some of the palms look like they're on the verge of dying - barely any fronds, very thin. The palms near the 600 villas and lobby are much thicker, but still not too fully grown. A lot of the smaller plants also seem to be getting decimated by insects - lots of holes in leafs and edges munched on. This is evident everywhere around the resort, including in the backyards of the beach villas. We saw crews spraying insecticide throughout the resort our first few days.

Along the same lines, the roads along the resort are a bit rough right now. I was told they are trying to add more sand to the paths to level them out, but a lot of recent rain has extended the project. Every time they lay down new sand, a downpour comes and washes it away. Not sure how they ever plan to permanently address that, because rain washing away sand will always be an issue.

If there's anything anybody wants to see or know let me know. I'll be here until September 4.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 5:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by cennis
For anyone that has been there, why is the BV considered a higher tier than OWV? By square footage OWV is bigger, but I am sure there is more to it.
We're staying in the BV, but my guess would be that the beach villa offers more space in the form of beach access. It's great being able to walk right off your pool deck to the beach and explore the resort. We didn't get the chance to stay in the OVW villa here, but we have done so in Bora Bora. That being said, if I were to come back here I would opt for the BV for sure.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 5:55 am

Originally Posted by Another Getaway
We're staying in the BV, but my guess would be that the beach villa offers more space in the form of beach access. It's great being able to walk right off your pool deck to the beach and explore the resort. We didn't get the chance to stay in the OVW villa here, but we have done so in Bora Bora. That being said, if I were to come back here I would opt for the BV for sure.
Also staying here currently in a BV. Never done the OW experience, but traveling with two young children, so definitely prefer the BV. The direct beach access, while not included in the official square footage of the villa, does make it feel like the overall footprint is huge. With that said, the foliage around the villa is very limited. As I type this sitting in the bedroom next to the window, I can clearly see the covered deck area in the next door villa. I don't mind the lack of privacy as I'd prefer to have unobstructed views of the ocean, but I realize that's a personal preference.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 6:33 am

If there's anything anybody wants to see or know let me know. I'll be here until September 4.
If you've got time, could you please upload some photos of the view facing south from where the 100s OWVs are located?

Thanks for uploading the bike tour video by the way.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 6:55 am
Suspended

More videos of the resort would be nice.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 7:04 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by flyerchatter
If you've got time, could you please upload some photos of the view facing south from where the 100s OWVs are located?

I'll work on this tomorrow. Suns going down now so won't have a chance today.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 6:05 am
Suspended

Quick update concerning the lack of foliage near the main beach. Our concierge informed us that the resort is awaiting a shipment of about 5,000 (if I heard correctly) new fully grown trees to add to the resort. This is to address the lack of mature palms and other foliage around the resort, but which is mostly noticeable in this specific area.

You can see it the 0:19 mark in this video:
Old Aug 31, 2019, 6:06 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by flyerchatter

​​​​​
There was no way for me to get photos of the view of these villas without actually getting into them, so I opted to use my drone to get some shots. These photos are taken from approximately the last southward facing OWV in the 100s. You can see the view is pretty nice with no obstructions. Very little boat traffic in this area from what I can tell.

Personally, I would opt for the south/lagoon facing villas in the 700s. Here you get a similar unobstructed view while also being able to see the resort and main lagoon to the right of your deck. Additionally, my wife and I did some snorkeling in this area today and it was fantastic. Coral seemed healthy and there were a lot of variety of fish. Overall I've been very happy with the snorkeling. We've even seen a few baby blacktips near the wedding pavilion and in this area, but only from the pathway and never while actually in the water.

Again if anyone needs any specific info or photos/videos let me know.

Old Aug 31, 2019, 6:17 am

​​​​​There was no way for me to get photos of the view of these villas without actually getting into them, so I opted to use my drone to get some shots.
Brilliant stuff. Thanks for the drone shots.

As suspected, it doesn't seem like the 100s Villas are occupied yet. There's no seat cushioning for the sun loungers or the swing in the gazebo. Looks like the two deck chairs in the pool haven't been installed either.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 4:45 pm

Beach Villa - any room recommendations?

Hello,

we have booked 5 nights for 2020 and are staying in a Beach Villa. Just wondering if anyone has stayed and could recommend a room number for us to select?

We’ve looked at the resort layout and prefer to look out to sea, I think these are 601-628.

Thanks!

Last edited by Shiraz Khan; Sep 1, 2019 at 4:34 am
Old Aug 31, 2019, 10:21 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Shiraz Khan
Hello,

we have booked 5 nights for July 2020 and are staying in a Beach Villa. Just wondering if anyone has stayed and could recommend a room number for us to select?

We’ve looked at the resort layout and prefer to look out to sea, I think these are 601-628.

Thanks!

Click on the Wiki at the top of the page and then scroll down to "Villa selection" and click the links for recommendations
Old Aug 31, 2019, 10:42 pm

Wife and me are currently at BV #623 . It's very private - both sides have a bamboo fence, most of which is visible due to short foliage yet gives privacy from one adjacent villa. On the other side is a water treatment facility of some sort, luckily no weird smells or sounds.

The experience in the last 24 hours has been great so far! Earlier concerns on this thread have almost been eliminated:
- the buggies come to a stop if they see an oncoming person on a bike
- butter is delivered on the table during breakfast at Tasting Table without asking
- we were picked up by the WA branded yacht which is pretty impressive and we did enjoy our journey. We've seen 1 other yacht come in a couple of times which looked even bigger and grander but did not have the WA signs on it.
- our personal concierge gave us a small Samsung phone to place calls to him. We have called him thrice and every time he has answered - always courteous and very helpful. He meets us at every dining location to check on how we're doing, and sends housekeeping while we're away.

Overall, both the wife and I are impressed with everything. The photos online do not do justice to the hard product.

We've tried the Peacock Alley, Li Long and Tasting Table so far. We have a few more dining locations planned and excursions for the next few days.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 1:36 am

Thanks!

Originally Posted by jphripjah
Click on the Wiki at the top of the page and then scroll down to "Villa selection" and click the links for recommendations
Old Sep 1, 2019, 1:45 am

Thanks!

Thanks! This is really helpful, thank you. We have looked at the resort plan and were thinking about 619 or 621. We prefer facing out to sea rather than the lagoon. I think yours does too, how is this or would you have picked a lagoon view?

Finally, we noticed some rocks which I am assuming act as water breakers, does this affect your view/experience? Would advise to try and pick a BV away from this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.