Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2019, 2:42 pm

A money-grab, pure and simple

Originally Posted by sydneyflyer12
Charging as much for a 30 min "yacht" ride as the StR charges for a 45 min seaplane transfer is certainly an interesting pricing strategy...
It's all part and parcel of their lamb to the slaughter approach. I mean forcing a couple an extra $3176.63, or a family of 4 with 2 adults and 2 kids $3915.83, if they wanted to celebrate Xmas and New Years there is just asking for the place to be barren of all those whose money doesn't grow on trees. What if I'm a Muslim or some other religion and I don't celebrate Christmas or the new year. What if I'm an atheist or agnostic or Hindu or whatever. Why should I have a festival, or two, rammed down my throat and be charged the earth for it?! I would differ and say it's not a pricing strategy, it's an ugly corporate money-grab.

Oh, and yeah, added to the wiki in bold red, enlarged text. Moved to the top where it belongs.....

Originally Posted by Tilly71
I wonder how long the maximum wait would be for a transfer as I've seen no mention of a lounge.
Well, an hour return and add lets say two, 15-minute periods to get the passengers and their luggage loaded and offloaded. That's at least 90min.

Last edited by MaldivesFreak; Apr 10, 2019 at 11:34 am
Old Apr 10, 2019, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
It's all part and parcel of their lamb to the slaughter approach. I mean forcing a couple an extra $3176.63, or a family of 4 with 2 adults and 2 kids $3915.83, if they wanted to celebrate Xmas and New Years there is just asking for the place to be barren of all those whose money doesn't grow on trees. What if I'm a Muslim or some other religion and I don't celebrate Christmas or the new year. What if I'm an atheist or agnostic or Hindu or whatever. Why should I have a festival, or two, rammed down my throat. I would differ and say it's not a pricing strategy, it's an ugly corporate money-grab.

Oh, and yeah, added to the wiki in bold red, enlarged text.

Well, an hour return and add lets say two, 15-minute periods to get the passengers and their luggage loaded and offloaded. That's at least 90min.
They are charging a lot of money for guests to use the transfer provided and not potentially have the use of a decent lounge whilst maybe waiting an hour for the next transfer. I can see them being slated if people pay 2k a night and have to sit and wait for a transfer not accommodated in a lounge. Wonder if they strike up a deal with the Conrad Lounge...
Old Apr 10, 2019, 11:04 am

There was some talk about this earlier in the thread. I assume that they will have the use of the Conrad's new lounge if they are not going to build their own.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
A lot of negativity. This place not off to a great start...
Old Apr 10, 2019, 1:09 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, BAEC
Those surcharges for Christmas and NYE are absolutely insane. I assume their room rates will be astronomical at that time also since it is peak season so why do they need to charge even more for Christmas and NYE? Madness.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by Hawkeyefan
A lot of negativity. This place not off to a great start...
Suits. They have no idea what the people they are charging actually think. Either that or we, i.e; normal folks who don't have oil wealth (AKA: not their target market) are in the tiny minority that will make up <5% of their clientele.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 1:19 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
Originally Posted by pineapple_09
Those surcharges for Christmas and NYE are absolutely insane. I assume their room rates will be astronomical at that time also since it is peak season so why do they need to charge even more for Christmas and NYE? Madness.
I did a dummy booking around Christmas and NYE and the lowest room rate I could find was $3,500 per night. So, an 10-night stay for two guests from 12/23 to 1/2 is:

$34,960 (room rate)
$2,576 (mandatory meal charges)
$4,674 (taxes)
$3,496 (Service Charge of 10% per room per stay)

$45,706 (GRAND TOTAL)

I made another dummy booking for a random week in October and rooms were $1,800/night or 120k points which is a great redemption value.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by aww3583
I did a dummy booking around Christmas and NYE and the lowest room rate I could find was $3,500 per night. So, an 10-night stay for two guests from 12/23 to 1/2 is:

$34,960 (room rate)
$2,576 (mandatory meal charges)
$4,674 (taxes)
$3,496 (Service Charge of 10% per room per stay)

$45,706 (GRAND TOTAL)
Your calculations are off. The taxes are calculated (as per the wiki) at 23.2%, so it would be $46,244.35. Then you'd have to add the Green Tax which is $6pppn, adding $120 for a grand total of $46,364.35.

Originally Posted by aww3583
I made another dummy booking for a random week in October and rooms were $1,800/night or 120k points which is a great redemption value.
I assume they aren't going the route of other places where they have the Festive Season prices roughly 3.5 - 4 times what the low season prices are. I guess even their blatant greediness doesn't blind them to the fact that they aren't going to get a lot of takers at $7K per night for a standard villa over Xmas / New Year.....
Old Apr 10, 2019, 5:13 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
I will not travel to the Maldives for Christmas and New Year, so my opinion might not be worth much. That said, is it not fairly standard for high-end resorts to have such mandatory charges / dinners during such events? If they charge too much then they won't fill the rooms, and they are not stupid, they will adjust down. But if they can fill the rooms, then good for them.

Personally if I do not want to celebrate a certain event then I try to avoid staying in hotels which do celebrate such events, and that consequently have high rates. For example, if I don't want to pay a lot for my room at new year then I might go to China (for example) where January 1st is not as important of a date than in many other countries. And if I must travel on a specific date and it's expensive, well it's because lots of other people like me also must travel for that date so of course it costs a lot
Old Apr 10, 2019, 5:40 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by escape4
I will not travel to the Maldives for Christmas and New Year, so my opinion might not be worth much. That said, is it not fairly standard for high-end resorts to have such mandatory charges / dinners during such events? If they charge too much then they won't fill the rooms, and they are not stupid, they will adjust down. But if they can fill the rooms, then good for them.

Personally if I do not want to celebrate a certain event then I try to avoid staying in hotels which do celebrate such events, and that consequently have high rates. For example, if I don't want to pay a lot for my room at new year then I might go to China (for example) where January 1st is not as important of a date than in many other countries. And if I must travel on a specific date and it's expensive, well it's because lots of other people like me also must travel for that date so of course it costs a lot
Pretty much how I feel as well. As much as it's annoying for those paying with points who wouldn't normally be able to afford a resort like this (like myself), it's standard practice for Maldives resorts and they seem to have absolutely no problem booking out the holiday period.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 5:04 am

I don't get why there are already 27 Google reviews for this place?! Some are workers which is kind of cool to see their development/construction pics. But a lot are just random no comment reviews and surprisingly the reviews have a couple 1s scattered in there too
Old Apr 11, 2019, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by htran88
I don't get why there are already 27 Google reviews for this place?! Some are workers which is kind of cool to see their development/construction pics. But a lot are just random no comment reviews and surprisingly the reviews have a couple 1s scattered in there too
I presume at some point Hilton will get those “non-reviews” removed. I know if it were my business I would.

TD
Old Apr 11, 2019, 12:49 pm

Does anyone take notice of Google Reviews?!
Old Apr 12, 2019, 10:40 am

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Suits. They have no idea what the people they are charging actually think. Either that or we, i.e; normal folks who don't have oil wealth (AKA: not their target market) are in the tiny minority that will make up <5% of their clientele.
Your right about a lot of us not being the target market. It would be a once/lifetime thing for our family, with airline and Hilton pts and still would be 5 figures with everything else.
Place probably does not cater to firm middle classers....
Old Apr 12, 2019, 1:52 pm

Hey, I just had an idea. Why don't they do a promo with the slogan; 'A slick, half price deal!'. "Prove you're not an oil magnate and get 50% off yacht transfers and gala dinners!"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.