Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2019, 11:52 pm

The WA transfer is officially the world's most expensive mode of transportation in the history of mankind.

The return transfer cost from Male to WA Ithaafushi (23km) is $862.
The equivalent return transfer cost from London to Dubai (7128km) is:
  • Waldorf Astoria "Luxury Yacht" - $267,145 ($862*7128km/23km)
  • Gulfstream Private Jet - $55,000
  • Emirates First Class - $5500
The WA transfer makes private jet travel look downright peasantry.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 12:24 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Traveler Dave
Question...is it "Maldives" or "the Maldives"?

I came to the Maldives to enjoy the ocean
or
I came to Maldives to enjoy the ocean

TD
I'm not an English major, but I think most people say The Maldives because Maldives sounds like a plural word. Kind like when people say, "I visited Hawaii" or "I visited the Hawaiian Islands". For some reason when its plural, "the" gets thrown at the beginning.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 12:33 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
I can only guess a supply/demand issue and/or competing with the other hotels. To the later, Conrad BB offers a full OW option with points. They may just be trying/needing to provide a similar offering. It could also be they are finding people are going beach and full OW and that the Reef is the red headed step-child in the mix.

I know many would feel the beach is the "downgrade" option. But the reality is that option is the one they have the fewest rooms available.
Maybe you are right. Or it could be that BV is the room type with the supply/demand issue simply because BV is the points option, not because the majority of people prefer that room. Make RV the points option and suddenly it becomes the room type with the supply/demand issue. I do agree that some people will prefer BV to be on land for safety reasons, but I cannot imagine that it would be the majority, so if they are the minority it follows that pricing should be lower.

At the risk of stating the obvious, upgrading Diamonds to other room types more generously when other guests want BV for safety reasons seems a far better solution than pricing their rooms illogically and backwards.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 12:35 am

Thanks for the picture - this is very telling. There is not a snowball's chance in hell that I would pay a premium for a room with that view. In my opinion, booking BV would be out of need (if you have very young children), not because of preference.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 12:56 am

Originally Posted by escape4
Thanks for the picture - this is very telling. There is not a snowball's chance in hell that I would pay a premium for a room with that view. In my opinion, booking BV would be out of need (if you have very young children), not because of preference.
My preferred room with a view....

Old Aug 21, 2019, 1:09 am

My preferred room with a view....

Now you're talking!!! ^
Old Aug 21, 2019, 2:27 am

Originally Posted by wekxbrainx
But as for the 600s and 700s
Male facing villas, the view are just the ocean. You can see just a few big island like Male really far away. Otherwise it's pretty clear view.
Not sure if this post got through before but if you can, could you please take a pic or two at night in the direction of Male. Interested to know how visible all the lights on that island are after dark. TIA!

Originally Posted by escape4
This is exactly what I am considering as well, pending further feedback from people who have been to the resort already. I want to "downgrade" to OWV even though my stay is in 2019. There is nothing magical about December 31 2019 vs January 1 2020 to make one room type more valuable overnight!
Very surprised they are not waiting until after Chinese New Year to do this.

FEI: Have updated the wiki with info regarding the changes to base villa category and added 2020 pricing as well.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 3:22 am

Originally Posted by pointsmanager
When I saw your post I decided to email them (my stay is in February). This is what they answered:
"Please be informed that for next year we have changed our villa category. Kindly note that the Reef Villa will be our based category next will be the Overwater Villa and the Beach Villa.

Basically the Beach Villa will be a higher category compared to reef Villa and Overwater Villa.

If you need any further assistance please do let us know."

I can't see any reason they are doing this, why they structure their prices in such a manner? Anyone that stayed in the OWV or RV saw any downside to stay there?
Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Not sure if this post got through before but if you can, could you please take a pic or two at night in the direction of Male. Interested to know how visible all the lights on that island are after dark. TIA!

Very surprised they are not waiting until after Chinese New Year to do this.

FEI: Have updated the wiki with info regarding the changes to base villa category and added 2020 pricing as well.

You really can't see much of Male. There's only one tall building I can see and I was told that's the Male hospital.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 3:30 am

By the way, I ask my concierge about the difference of "grand" and regular room. He said the only difference is the extra living room.

Most of the pictures are in my DSLR, so this best I have for now.
Left side by the window there's a L shape sofa, table in front of sofa. An extra TV with sonos speaker. Far Right hand side is the fridge with coffee machine and cups. Near right hand side has a round table with 2 chairs.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 4:19 am

I can only guess a supply/demand issue and/or competing with the other hotels. To the later, Conrad BB offers a full OW option with points. They may just be trying/needing to provide a similar offering. It could also be they are finding people are going beach and full OW and that the Reef is the red headed step-child in the mix.
There could be the scenario where their primary, and most well-off, target market - rich Arabs - thinks that BVs are better than OWVs (from what I've read and heard they travel with family / children most of the time and it's far more convenient to be on land and have the space when you have kids, parents and relatives with you) and that they will get more mainland Chinese (not quite as affluent but still paying cash*) snapping up the more numerous - and now cheaper - OW and semi-OW villas (which they prefer by a considerable margin). They have vastly more RVs and OWVs than BVs so this could work out very well for them, while also satisfying Westerners' tastes and desires for being able to book (semi-)OV with points. Everyone wins.....theoretically.
They could have started doing surveys of these demographics since they opened and perhaps they are now marketing heavily for next year based on the results.

* Note that this demographic almost never pays with points so properties can be assured of earning full premium for their inventory. Other Asians - such as Japanese and Koreans - often sign up and make use of loyalty programs but mainland Chinese do not
Old Aug 21, 2019, 4:28 am

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
There could be the scenario where their primary, and most well-off, target market - rich Arabs - thinks that BVs are better than OWVs (from what I've read and heard they travel with family / children most of the time and it's far more convenient to be on land and have the space when you have kids, parents and relatives with you) and that they will get more mainland Chinese (not quite as affluent but still paying cash*) snapping up the more numerous - and now cheaper - OW and semi-OW villas (which they prefer by a considerable margin). They have vastly more RVs and OWVs than BVs so this could work out very well for them, while also satisfying Westerners' tastes and desires for being able to book (semi-)OV with points. Everyone wins.....theoretically.
They could have started doing surveys of these demographics since they opened and perhaps they are now marketing heavily for next year based on the results.

* Note that this demographic almost never pays with points so properties can be assured of earning full premium for their inventory. Other Asians - such as Japanese and Koreans - often sign up and make use of loyalty programs but mainland Chinese do not
Then they should make point redemptions go to RV not BV, that is an easy solution, but points redemptions 2020 are still BV which will achieve the opposite of what they want, and as far as I know based on reports here they insist on guests who redeemed points for BV to pay for an "upgrade" (or downgrade) to other room types (no complimentary upgrades/downgrades) so they are not doing themselves a favor to create more availability for those rooms. Makes no sense at all regardless how I look at it.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 4:50 am

Right. I'm figuring they may not have implemented everything yet and they might be planning to change this very soon. We shall see.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 5:08 am

I imagine the restructuring of the BV/RV/OWV hierarchy is a simple case of supply and demand. The number of BVs is relatively scarce to begin with - 31 out of 122 villas, and even less after some of these villas are claimed through points redemption. The BVs are more suitable for families with young children, elderly guests who prefer easy accessibility to facilities, and return guests to the Maldives who have experienced OWVs and prefer having a larger front yard with access to both beach and sea.

Marquinhos (famous Brazilian footballer who plays for France's richest football club PSG), who earns a weekly salary of 200,000 Euros, stayed at the Waldorf last month. You would think he would opt to stay at a Grand OWV, but he chose a BV instead as he had his child with him on holiday. The BVs definitely have their own appeal to the particular demographic.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They must be tinkering with the website again regarding cash rates and points bookings. As others have stated the pricing make no logical sense. I have to assume they will update it soon. Currently for 8/20/20 the cheapest room is the King Reef @ $1600++, but has "Book with Hilton Honors Points Call 1-800-WALDORF" which traditionally means that this is a premium room commanding more than the 120K base room stay. The first, and only, room bookable for 120K is the King Beach with the cash rate of $2300++. The Double Queen Beach is not even showing a points rate plan option. Where every other plan/room style does.........
I just noticed the same. They are probably in the process of updating rates. I wonder if guests confirmed in King Beach with points may be downgraded to King Reef without notice?
Old Aug 21, 2019, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by TerryK
I wonder if guests confirmed in King Beach with points may be downgraded to King Reef without notice?
I have a reservation later in 2019 and I asked to be "downgraded" from BV to OWV and they refused; they said since my booking is 2019, I can only do so if I pay $400 per night

Perhaps they would have had a different answer if my booking was early 2020 rather than late 2019? Regardless, I am not impressed. Let the rich footballers with children book in the more expensive BVs and let some of us downgrade voluntarily to OWV to free up more BV inventory. Everybody is happy. I guess that's not in the cards which is disappointing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.