Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2019, 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
I don't know about the percentage of resorts built within the last 5 or 6 years (and there are a lot of new resorts being built, from about 2015 there were plans for more than 20) but before that 95% of them were not man-made. The major exception being the One & Only.

As for Rangali, you've been there, haven't you?
No. This was our first (but not last) trip down. So I am definitely talking from the cheap seats about resorts overall. But we did sail around for a week and saw many reports “stuffed” on large sand bars.

TD
Old Aug 17, 2019, 3:23 am

Just an update.

Was offered a discount for the yacht. $300 per person per trip, so I took it. Currently in WA.

Thanks for all the help you all provided. Let me know if there is any question I can help to answer or picture you want me to take.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 6:12 am

Appreciate the offer @wekxbrainx. If you've got the time, could you take a few snaps of the view from the southern facing villas - 100s and odd numbered 200s?

The "discounted" roundtrip cost (600*1.232 = $740) is still outrageously ridiculous compared to what other resorts offer (see below). I guess seaplanes must be cheaper to run than an outdated looking yacht.

St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort
Seaplane
$695

W Maldives
Seaplane
$475

Westin Maldives Miriandhoo Resort
Seaplane
$475

Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Resort
Speedboat
$142

JW Marriott Maldives Resort
Seaplane
$600

Conrad Maldives Rangali Island
Seaplane
$526

SAii Lagoon Maldives, Curio Collection by Hilton
Speedboat
$135

Park Hyatt Maldives Hadahaa
Domestic flight and speedboat
$520

Holiday Inn Resort Kandooma Maldives
Speedboat
$229

Last edited by flyerchatter; Aug 17, 2019 at 6:18 am
Old Aug 17, 2019, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by flyerchatter
Appreciate the offer @wekxbrainx. If you've got the time, could you take a few snaps of the view from the southern facing villas - 100s and odd numbered 200s?

The "discounted" roundtrip cost (600*1.232 = $740) is still outrageously ridiculous compared to what other resorts offer (see below). I guess seaplanes must be cheaper to run than an outdated looking yacht.

Seaplane
$695

W Maldives
Seaplane
$475

Seaplane
$475

Speedboat
$142

Seaplane
$600

Seaplane
$526

Speedboat
$135

$520

Speedboat
$229
The 100 and 200s are really far away. I will see if I have the time tomorrow. My wife don't know how to bike and I just realized I am not so good at it either just an hour ago lolll. I have to find time tomorrow to see if I have the energy to bike there alone.

But as for the 600s and 700s
Male facing villas, the view are just the ocean. You can see just a few big island like Male really far away. Otherwise it's pretty clear view.

The sun just set, I will try to remember to use my phone to take some picture tomorrow since I used mostly my dslr for pictures. If I forgot, I will upload when I get home.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by Traveler Dave
MF has much more Maldives experience than I, so I defer....but it sure looks like 100% of the Resorts in the Maldives are 95% man-made....including Rangali....though I get the trees planted there in 1997 might look more natural then the trees planted a few months ago at the Waldorf.
Rangali's 3rd / staff island is completely man-made but that's it.

The "discounted" roundtrip cost (600*1.232 = $740) is still outrageously ridiculous compared to what other resorts offer (see below).

Seaplane
$695

W Maldives
Seaplane
$475

Seaplane
$475

Speedboat
$142

Seaplane
$600

Seaplane
$526

Speedboat
$135

$520

Speedboat
$229
^ Do you happen to have the time to get the distances from MLE to each resort and put them in? That would be awesome if somebody could do it.

I guess seaplanes must be cheaper to run than an outdated looking yacht.
Yes. Yes. Most definintely the case! Diesel has become 20x more expensive than aviation fuel. It's the truth!
Old Aug 17, 2019, 8:53 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
The Four Seasons Kuda Huraa is charging US$250++ round trip per adult (kids half price) for their speedboat transfer price from Malé airport. I have a 5 night reservation at both the Waldorf Astoria and the FS Kuda Huraa for the same dates in June 2020. The refundable rates during our dates in June at the FS Kuda Huraa for a Beach Pavillion with Pool is going for only $720++ per night (even lower if we were staying only 4 nights because they are offering a 4th night free promotion).

I know the hard product at the FS isn't as nice as the WA. But I'm confident that the FS service will be at least as good as at the WA. If the WA doesn't retreat on their speedboat transfer rates, I'd rather slum it at the FS than feel being ripped off by the exorbitant transfer rates at the WA. To answer MaldivesFreak's question about distance, it appears that the FS is about equidistant from Malé airport as the WA.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30675508-post215.html

By the way, I've been using the chat feature on the Four Seasons app. The concierge at FS Kuda Huraa has been very quick to respond to my request for information. For example, I asked them to send me the restaurant menus with prices for all of their restaurants and they were sent to my inbox within a couple of hours.

The restaurant prices at the FS appear to be slightly more reasonable than the WA. Feel free to PM me and then I can send them to you. Here are some sample items from their Asian menu:

Hibachi Grilled Cod 45
Teriyaki Glaze, Braised Daikon, Bok-Choy and Crispy Garlic

Korean Hot Pot (P) 35
Spicy Soup Broth with Crispy Pork Belly, Kimchee, Tofu, Egg, Mushrooms and
Ramen Noodles

Dolsot Bibimbap 30
Korean Rice Bowl with Stir-Fried Beef Bulgogi, Vegetables and Fried Egg

Kung Pao Chicken 28
Spicy Sichuan Style Fried Chicken with Vegetables, Chili and Roasted Cashew Nuts

Fried Singaporean Mei Fun Noodles (P) 32
Vermicelli Noodles with Tiger Prawns, Chinese Sausage, Bok Choy,
Bean Sprouts and Curry Powder

Teppan-Yaki Beef 98
Teppan Grilled Wagyu Ribeye with Braised Daikon and Crispy Garlic

Maldivian Curried Lobster 80
Spiny Lobster Braised with a Maldivian Spiced Coconut Curry with
Kopi Leaf Salad, Coconut Rice and Chapatti

Kalbi (P) 58
Korean Grilled Pork Ribs with Kimchee Soup and Steamed Rice

Lo Han Chai 25
Braised Vegetables in Vegetarian Oyster Sauce with Cellophane Noodles,
Tofu and Water Chestnuts

Teochew Steamed Fish 42
Salted Vegetable Broth with Stewed Tomatoes, Tofu and Ginger
Old Aug 17, 2019, 10:06 am

[QUOTE=flyerchatter;31425976]to run than an outdated looking yacht
[/QUOTE]

That is funny and un-informed. The price may be outrageous, but the yacht we took is anything but outdated. I wish I could have spent a week on that boat motoring around the Maldives.

Yes the transfer cost is ludicrous, the “food offerings” were sad. But it was the nicest boat, hands down, I have ever been transferred to a hotel on.

TD
Old Aug 17, 2019, 10:34 am

Here is a video of the yacht -

The interior furnishings of the yacht don't scream modern at all. It looks quite dated to me, and I'm sure most would agree. I'm no yacht connoisseur but the ones I've been on all look about half a century more contemporary.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 3:10 pm

to run than an outdated looking yacht
That is funny and un-informed. The price may be outrageous, but the yacht we took is anything but outdated.
Actually I thought he was kidding, LOL.

The Grand version of their suites is more than enough room for 4 people. But I was secretly hoping they would offer up one as a free upgrade.

Speaking of that, has anyone been given a free upgrade? We were there 10 days and never offered anything over what we paid for with Diamond status. Was really thinking they would offer those up, at least the first few months.
Did you happen to ask what the occupancy rate was over your 10 days? Should give you a good indication whether they are being stingy or most of the villas were occupied. Now that we are more familiar with their angle on all things financial, I think I was wrong to assume they'd be giving a lot of free upgrades. And was your Diamond status earned the hard way or the easy way? They can tell in their system.

And thanks for the upgrade rates. I've added them to the wiki.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 8:54 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
What are the posters here have been around for quite a while so you know it’s really not OK to call out each other personally about opinions or posts. I’ve had to delete a few emails due to the snark so please refrain from commenting on each other – this is a very helpful thread for travelers to the islands so let’s KEEP it that way.

thanks

squeakr
co. Mod HH
Old Aug 17, 2019, 9:09 pm

There was a beautiful dinner buffet held on the beach just in front of the family pool last night. Does anyone know if this was a one-off private function or something that will be hosted regularly?
Old Aug 17, 2019, 9:26 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by james0499

if someone has done the pros and cons of each, Ive yet to see it. But if someone who’s been to both fancies doing it the info would be invaluable

p.s. I have the mistake yacht fare confirmed. Where the conf email said the price was for return not one way.

thanks
I've stayed at Conrad Rangali twice and WA Ithaafushi once and I took a stab at comparing them in this post. I recommend getting a confirmation from the resort that you're getting the reduced transfer rate and printing that out in case the staff tries to charge you the full price at check out, as they did with me.

Everything that Rangali has to offer is of much more substance and classy, and hey, it has beach dinners too (more than 3 options!).

This certainly was not my impression, having been to both properties. Peacock Alley at WA Ithaafushi is more upscale and classier than Rangali Bar and Tasting Table is classier and in a more serene setting than Atoll Market. Atoll Market is very close to the ping pong table and water sports stuff and often has kids running around and just isn't that classy. The reviews of Glow and The Ledge have been very good and that was my personal experience also. I think most people who have been to both resorts would disagree that all the F&B offerings at Rangali are of much more substance and classy.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 7:44 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Hmmm.....if you want a natural setting, choose Rangali (the Waldorf is 95% man-made. See the discussion a few pages back).
If you want variety and overwater experiences for your F&B, choose Rangali. The Waldorf has its fair share of 'interesting' dining options but none fully over water (Rangali has 2 + under water as well), some tacky, a ripoff and a bit silly unless you happen to be a bird (Terra, see the wiki for conversations about this venue). Jasmeen has mixed reviews, some say great, some say cheap imitation. Everything that Rangali has to offer is of much more substance and classy, and hey, it has beach dinners too (more than 3 options!).
If you want brand new and much better accommodations, choose the Waldorf (except if you're well off enough to stay at the Muraka, LOL!).
If you want consistently great service choose Rangali (although you may strike it lucky at the Waldorf like @alanslegal did). Remember, it's a new resort and even by November the consistency may not be up to true Waldorf standard.
The transfer fee is, in your case, reasonable, and that won't leave you feeling gouged. Pretty important for a honeymoon, however Rangali has the seaplane ride which you'll love - there's the Wow! factor because it really is spectacular flying over the atolls for an hour.
Rangali has a free Congratulations dinner (marriage cert not older than one year needed). Not sure about the Waldorf.
And finally, overall, the pricing is pretty overboard at the Waldorf if you really look into it and compare the two. At Rangali you'll feel much more relaxed about everything price-wise.

If I wasn't on a honeymoon and had been to this kind of place (semi-private / uncrowded tropical island destination) before and I had high standards for accommodation and I didn't care about money, I'd choose the Waldorf. If I were in your position, I'd make sure I'd choose the place that would give me the best and most consistent experience possible, and at this point in time Rangali would win easily. And as a bonus you'll be saving quite a lot of money and, in most areas, getting more bang for you buck in the process.

Hope that helps. If you end up deciding on the Conrad and want a dining plan for it let me know and I'll make one up for you.
Whatever you choose I wish you have a great time. Oh, and see the Rangali thread for how to arrange your international flights to maximize your time on the islands. Add a few nights to your itinerary if you can. 5 nights will fly by!
Thank you so much for this. Really appreciate it! Has given us serious food for thought... Decision to be made this week for sure
Old Aug 18, 2019, 7:55 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jphripjah
I've stayed at Conrad Rangali twice and WA Ithaafushi once and I took a stab at comparing them in this post. I recommend getting a confirmation from the resort that you're getting the reduced transfer rate and printing that out in case the staff tries to charge you the full price at check out, as they did with me.

This certainly was not my impression, having been to both properties. Peacock Alley at WA Ithaafushi is more upscale and classier than Rangali Bar and Tasting Table is classier and in a more serene setting than Atoll Market. Atoll Market is very close to the ping pong table and water sports stuff and often has kids running around and just isn't that classy. The reviews of Glow and The Ledge have been very good and that was my personal experience also. I think most people who have been to both resorts would disagree that all the F&B offerings at Rangali are of much more substance and classy.
Nice one thank you - good to get a few viewpoints. My dilemma (and one kind of confirmed by you comparing your first vs second visit to Conrad) is that I know wherever I go I’ll have a great time and it’s going to be special as I have nothing to compare it to! There are a lot of travel veterans on this thread who compare reefs etc, but due to my ignorance/lack of experience - it doesn’t make a great deal of difference to me. Argh, what to do! first world problems but *shrugs* lol
Old Aug 18, 2019, 9:26 am

Here is a video of the yacht - youtube.com/watch?v=CCY855U_T4g

The interior furnishings of the yacht don't scream modern at all. It looks quite dated to me, and I'm sure most would agree. I'm no yacht connoisseur but the ones I've been on all look about half a century more contemporary.
They should give a discount on the transfer costs if you have to take one of the more dated yachts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.