Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2019, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by scwam
So true. I remember seeing this the first time 6 years ago at Hilton Conrad Dalian and wondering w.t.f it was, actually arguing with the restaurant manager about it. Speaking of this, I completely forgot about these stupid a.s.s service charges. Is there going to be a raping 10%+ service charge on top of the even ridiculous 23.2% Maldives tax? I hadn't budgeted anything over the 23%+ tax on my $2500 food bill being mostly dinner & occasional lunch for a mere 7 days. IIRC, when you calculate the service charge, it's calculated inclusive of the taxes... but I may be mistaken on that part. I emphasize, we don't even pay that % with the service charge in Tokyo.
Hi,

As per the wiki at the top of the thread ,the 23.2% includes the service charge ( 10% service charge +12% tax)

( As an aside the Tokyo prices are getting up there ( at the Conrad it is a 15% service charge + 8% tax ( tax going up to 10% from October 19 IIRC)

Regards

TBS
Old Jun 15, 2019, 3:48 pm

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Even working for a US company I can't understand their mentality when it comes to tipping. (caveat - I totally get that this is a cultural difference, I'm not saying one is right and the other wrong).

For me, being mostly British, it's baffling that Americans are totally OK with subsidising massive corporations paying their staff a pittance. The American public almost revolted a few years ago when gas hit $3 a gallon, but they're totally cool with bunging Sally $20 on a $100 bill because Red Lobster only pay her $3 an hour or something daft.

But more than that, when service is on the bill in fancier places, the guys I work with still leave tips. Blows my tiny mind.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 6:12 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion & Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Diamond, Hertz President's Club
Regarding the boat transfer with Atoll Transfer does anyone know if it’s $580 per person or $580 per boat? The way I read the website it appears to me to be per boat.

That is quite a significant savings even for 2 people. I am looking at going with a group of 6 (which is the max on the boat) and strongly considering that option if it’s $580/boat.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 3:12 am
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by lucjos0224
Regarding the boat transfer with Atoll Transfer does anyone know if it’s $580 per person or $580 per boat? The way I read the website it appears to me to be per boat.

That is quite a significant savings even for 2 people. I am looking at going with a group of 6 (which is the max on the boat) and strongly considering that option if it’s $580/boat.
Its per boat
Old Jun 16, 2019, 4:19 am

It's by boat, OC.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 4:32 am

Originally Posted by WorldTravl
I mean like they should drop the actually price down so it is exactly 350 each way, including both tax and service fees. Doing the math 700COST + 23.2% = $862.4pp *10(Just say ten people go in and out so ten rt completed in a day) = $8624 a day*30(1 Month) = 252,720 a month*10%("Service Charge") = 25,272/(4 crew per boat) = $6314 per person a month

Well $6314 a month for a worker in the Maldives is alot (Near $70,000 a year).
Even if there were eight people working on the boat it would be over 3000$ a month. Which is on the high end for resorts in the Maldives.
Awesome calculations! You could get a job as the Revenue Manager. Apply now!
Old Jun 17, 2019, 3:57 am

Website update

The WA site has been at least partially updated with real images in the gallery (notably absent are any pictures of half the restaurants), the spa menu and some new wording on services / amenities.

FT won't let me post links - it's all at waldorfastoria3.hilton.com/en/hotels/maldives/waldorf-astoria-maldives-ithaafushi-MLEONWA/index.html
Old Jun 17, 2019, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by i.am.lost
The WA site has been at least partially updated with real images in the gallery (notably absent are any pictures of half the restaurants), the spa menu and some new wording on services / amenities.

FT won't let me post links - it's all at waldorfastoria3.hilton.com/en/hotels/maldives/waldorf-astoria-maldives-ithaafushi-MLEONWA/index.html
i took a look at the spa menu/list. Doesn't look that bad. About 3$/min for a traditional massage.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 10:57 am

I just got idea maybe we should approach some ferry transport company as a community with so many members and we should get discount for quoting flyertalk discount word or just estabilish transfer business .....
Old Jun 17, 2019, 2:34 pm

^@:-) Good idea: Refer FT'ers for a discount and start a 'NLTTS @ WAI' club. (prizes for anyone who can guess those acronyms)

@:-) Bad idea: Calculate massages by the minute
Guest: Excuse me, I'd like to have a 17 minute massage, please.
Spa Receptionist: Pardon?!
Guest: Oh, I see. Then could I book one for 53 minutes, please.
Spa Receptionist: Huh?!?!
Old Jun 17, 2019, 2:43 pm

[QUOTE=MaldivesFreak;31212395]^@:-) Good idea: Refer FT'ers for a discount and start a 'NLTTS @ WAI' club. (prizes for anyone who can guess those acronyms)

I'll take the challenge.....No Longer Taking Their S%*t
Do I win a prize?
Old Jun 17, 2019, 2:52 pm

That's a damn good try ^^ but unfortunately it's not the answer
Old Jun 17, 2019, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
That's a damn good try ^^ but unfortunately it's not the answer
Well, it was fun to play the game anyway! But seriously, I've been giving the cost of the transfers some thought, and while the $700pp++ does seem very high, my guesses as to the reasons behind it are:
1. They must own these boats, and therefore, have to maintain them (not true of seaplanes)
2. They only serve 1 resort (not true of seaplanes), so no economies of scale
3. They can probably operate after dark....again, not true of the seaplanes. If your plane lands after dark, presumeably you can still get to the resort instead of paying for an overnight in Male, like you would have to do if taking a seaplane.

Anyone know what the One & Only charges for their yacht transfers?
Old Jun 17, 2019, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by i.am.lost

Excited they are making updates/changes to the website, but most of those gallery shots and not actual but virtual. Same goes for the room pictures.

TD
Old Jun 17, 2019, 6:23 pm

Have email confirmation from the resort “Complimentary breakfast at our all day dining restaurant, Tasting Table” with my Diamond (assume Gold included) status.

If you look on the newly updated website you will see this, in part, about Tasting Table, “Indulge in alluring cuisines at Tasting Table. Start your day with a sumptuous multi-cuisine breakfast spread while enjoying the Indian Ocean view”

That does not sound like a “basic” breakfast offering. Sounds similar to the one offered at the Conrad BB that no one should/could ever complain about. I predict it will be amazing.

TD

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.