Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2019, 10:36 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by mikewhyatt
Given the WA is Hiltons #1 aspirational points property, I would imagine management definitely knows what they are doing here. They want guests to burn the highest points rate of any HIlton property, get gouged on transfers, get gouged on upgrades to OWA ($400++), and overpay for F&B. The kicker is people will happily do it because they want to instagram the hard product. The cash rate guests are more than welcome as well.
Spot on with that one. We go on points and expected to be gouged on everything and somehow happily pay for it. Last time we paid US$15 for a small bottle of water? Oh, that was in the Maldives.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 12:59 am

Originally Posted by alanslegal
I don't know where beefninja is located/flying in from so hence I suggested it is good access if one can get to Asia/Middle East. From the USA then Bora Bora is much closer esp if one is flying out from the west coast.

We've been to both Conrads Maldvies/Bora Bora as well and they are excellent properties - I just anticipate/hope/expect that this WA to be much better than those two. There's a few of us arriving in the first week July, so we'll hear feedback very soon.
Will be living in New York at the time of the trip. In my last trip to bora bora, it was super convenient from San Francisco. When I’m on the east coast, it looks like bora bora and the Maldives will be equivalent-ish flight length and cost.

Based on what everyone is saying so far, I might prospectively take that October booking at the WA Maldives and then wait for the first reviews in a month or so before deciding between it and the Conrad Maldives. Ironically, there is also availability in April (which is is supposed to have generally good weather), but that puts it a bit too close to another planned vacation (returning to Bora Bora in late May) and I really don’t need/want 2 that close together.

Thanks for the help!
Old Jun 20, 2019, 9:19 am

Programs: AA EP/4MM, DL GM/1MM, HH ♦, Bonvoy LT PLT, Hyatt Globalist, AMEX Bus Plt
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
For Americans, surely Bora Bora is significantly easier than getting to the Maldives? There are now multiple options to Papeete and it's just an hour flight from there. Obviously if you're in Dubai, then the Maldives wins out for those times when you want a 5* hotel on water that's not in a desert...
I wouldn't say significantly easier. Maybe a few less hours in the air depending how far west you live in the US. It certainly is more enjoyable traveling to the Maldives due to the many options and quality of Asian and ME carriers that fly there.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 9:42 am

I have a question for anyone coming to the WA via Emirates. I realize there is an Emirates forum, but was looking for specific DPs on MLE-DXB or DXB-MLE routes so thought I would post it here....and truth be, the Emirates crowd is much less fun than the Maldives crowd

I am booked with points in Business class. From what I can see on ExpertFlyer points upgrade availability to First open up 48 hours before the flight, presumably as the check-in window opens. I am curious from other points business class flyers if they have been offered any pre-check-in points or cash upgrades? If so, what were they, and how soon before the travel date? Via email, website and/or app login?

Looking to secure the upgrade sooner than later if possible. You can PM me directly if you don't want to clutter up this WA forum with Emirates info, but thought others might find it useful.

Thanks
TD

Last edited by Traveler Dave; Jun 20, 2019 at 9:49 am
Old Jun 20, 2019, 10:33 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by texmanufan
I wouldn't say significantly easier. Maybe a few less hours in the air depending how far west you live in the US. It certainly is more enjoyable traveling to the Maldives due to the many options and quality of Asian and ME carriers that fly there.
Best case for Bora Bora from California flight is 8 hours and a 1 hour connection. "Worse" case from East coast would be a 4ish hour flight to LAX/ SFO before flying on (possibly shorter if you did New York - Honolulu - Papeete). So 9-13 hours in the air and 2-3 flights.

I'd think that a best case for the Maldives would be a 14 hour flight from New York to Dubai, then a 5 hour flight to the Maldives and then a 1 hour(ish) unscheduled flight to the resort. From the West Coast that would be a 16 hour flight, then 5 hours to the Maldives and 1 hour to the resort. That's 20-22 hours in the air and a minimum of 3 flights....

Last edited by EuropeanPete; Jun 20, 2019 at 10:40 am
Old Jun 20, 2019, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by Traveler Dave
I have a question for anyone coming to the WA via Emirates. I realize there is an Emirates forum, but was looking for specific DPs on MLE-DXB or DXB-MLE routes so thought I would post it here....and truth be, the Emirates crowd is much less fun than the Maldives crowd

I am booked with points in Business class. From what I can see on ExpertFlyer points upgrade availability to First open up 48 hours before the flight, presumably as the check-in window opens. I am curious from other points business class flyers if they have been offered any pre-check-in points or cash upgrades? If so, what were they, and how soon before the travel date? Via email, website and/or app login?

Looking to secure the upgrade sooner than later if possible. You can PM me directly if you don't want to clutter up this WA forum with Emirates info, but thought others might find it useful.

Thanks
TD
just flew DXBMLE. Asked about upgrade from biz to first on board. $1,200 USD. Decided not worth it. On this short leg, no pajamas or amenity kits. Better champagne but menu was actually identical to J and wasn’t very good in the first place.

Upgrade cost seems unreasonable for what you get. However, I’m wondering if fact that original ticket was JFKDXBMLE in biz (on points) influenced the price. That would have been easily worth it for entire routing.

Curious what hat they offer you. Oh, we had to ask, never received an offer.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by jamienbaker
Curious what hat they offer you. Oh, we had to ask, never received an offer.
If/when I get an offer I will post.

Thanks
TD
Old Jun 20, 2019, 6:04 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by texmanufan
It's a lot more than a few hours less to Bora. You can fly LAX or SFO to Bora Bora with one stop in about 12 hours and under $1,500 RT (under $1,000 RT if there is still the fare war between United and French Bee on the SFO-PPT route). LAX or SFO to Maldives means probably traveling 23+ hours and stopping twice en route and it's much more expensive.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 10:46 pm

I don't believe this has been posted yet. The few minutes that I've watched it seems somewhat unrefined and a little underwhelming (as best as a phone camera can convey). Although the shrubbery is larger than I had expected. Some of you may be able to see your room numbers and plan accordingly.

Last edited by scwam; Jun 20, 2019 at 10:55 pm
Old Jun 20, 2019, 10:58 pm

Programs: AA EP/4MM, DL GM/1MM, HH ♦, Bonvoy LT PLT, Hyatt Globalist, AMEX Bus Plt
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Best case for Bora Bora from California flight is 8 hours and a 1 hour connection. "Worse" case from East coast would be a 4ish hour flight to LAX/ SFO before flying on (possibly shorter if you did New York - Honolulu - Papeete). So 9-13 hours in the air and 2-3 flights.

I'd think that a best case for the Maldives would be a 14 hour flight from New York to Dubai, then a 5 hour flight to the Maldives and then a 1 hour(ish) unscheduled flight to the resort. From the West Coast that would be a 16 hour flight, then 5 hours to the Maldives and 1 hour to the resort. That's 20-22 hours in the air and a minimum of 3 flights....
I never argued that the flights can be longer. For me easier would be flying in SQ, EK, or EY F. Or even the new QR Qsuites. Been lucky enough to experience all of these to the Maldives and beats the heck out of my trip to PPT. Lots of options with great layovers and all have been on points.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by scwam
I don't believe this has been posted yet. The few minutes that I've watched it seems somewhat unrefined and a little underwhelming (as best as a phone camera can convey). Although the shrubbery is larger than I had expected. Some of you may be able to see your room numbers and plan accordingly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KegtIOZa1Ag
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhNLFPYxCRM
Nice videos showing a lot of area around the resort. But like the OP said a little rough. If you are prone to motion sickness take some Dramamine before watching.

TD
Old Jun 21, 2019, 11:27 am

Programs: United, AA, Hilton
I think the more disconcerting thing here is that construction is still well underway with less than two weeks to go until opening?
Old Jun 21, 2019, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by soccerguy985
I think the more disconcerting thing here is that construction is still well underway with less than two weeks to go until opening?
From the title on the video it does appear the date it was posted was the day it was shot. I have not seen any crane pictures posted on the WA Instagram account

TD

Last edited by Traveler Dave; Jun 21, 2019 at 1:02 pm
Old Jun 21, 2019, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by mikewhyatt
Yeah... unfortunately you are wrong here. If the occupancy of a hotel is 95%+ the hotel is reimbursed the full rate (my family owns a number of Marriott branded properties.. I am not sure what Hiltons policy is.. I will ask my family friend who owns one tomorrow). Given the WA is Hiltons #1 aspirational points property, I would imagine management definitely knows what they are doing here. They want guests to burn the highest points rate of any HIlton property, get gouged on transfers, get gouged on upgrades to OWA ($400++), and overpay for F&B. The kicker is people will happily do it because they want to instagram the hard product. The cash rate guests are more than welcome as well.
You hit the nail on the head, bud. There was some similar talk on the Rangali thread about 95%+ OR and how Hilton were reimbursing the property handsomely for the high figures.
I guess folks paying cash are only going to make up a small percentage of the guests, at least for the first 6mths to a year or even longer. Cash prices here are even going to be well out of the range of 99% of mainland Chinese (which, as we know, make up a good portion of the tourist demographics). You might get the odd one and the odd Russian / US / European and a few Arabs but I'd say 80-90% is going to be on points and will stay that high for quite some time.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 3:54 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I’d be shocked if the hotel is 80-90% points. All the signs are the hotel is targeting the Middle Eastern market who by and large always pay cash.

Let’s wait and see...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.