Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2019, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by lizakramer
Well, it was fun to play the game anyway! But seriously, I've been giving the cost of the transfers some thought, and while the $700pp++ does seem very high, my guesses as to the reasons behind it are:
1. They must own these boats, and therefore, have to maintain them (not true of seaplanes)
2. They only serve 1 resort (not true of seaplanes), so no economies of scale
3. They can probably operate after dark....again, not true of the seaplanes. If your plane lands after dark, presumeably you can still get to the resort instead of paying for an overnight in Male, like you would have to do if taking a seaplane.

Anyone know what the One & Only charges for their yacht transfers?
My guess is that they're charging that much because they can get away with it. Until people start booking other transfers, they won't lower their price. $700pp++ is MORE than enough to pay for the boat, maintain it, and operate it.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 8:05 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
The per person yacht fee is a bit over the top. I'm trying to think of comparable costs of chartering a yacht anywhere else in the world that can rate that high for the amount of time used.

I get its WA, and I get it's the Maldives... but the price for what you get is excessive. At least with Conrad Maldives you get a plane, which I suspect has higher operating costs.

And while I suppose the appeal could be getting to the property like a high roller, I'd imagine the main attraction is to get to the hotel, and not some high falutin' boat taking its time to get there.

​​
To each their own I suppose.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by lizakramer
Well, it was fun to play the game anyway! But seriously, I've been giving the cost of the transfers some thought, and while the $700pp++ does seem very high, my guesses as to the reasons behind it are:
1. They must own these boats, and therefore, have to maintain them (not true of seaplanes)
2. They only serve 1 resort (not true of seaplanes), so no economies of scale
3. They can probably operate after dark....again, not true of the seaplanes. If your plane lands after dark, presumeably you can still get to the resort instead of paying for an overnight in Male, like you would have to do if taking a seaplane.

Anyone know what the One & Only charges for their yacht transfers?
Maybe it's because they're plain greedy. Actually it's not maybe.....it's definitely.(posted previously in the thread)
Old Jun 18, 2019, 8:18 am

This entire hotel was designed to entice HH members to burn points and their wallets (above and beyond normal Maldives rates) at the same time.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 9:21 am

LOL! Right you are.....but don't forget to add "for rich Arabs to burn their oil dollars"
Old Jun 19, 2019, 12:49 pm

Oil Riyals*
Old Jun 19, 2019, 1:39 pm

I think if people start finding their own transfers to/from the resort, they will revisit their yacht pricing. I don't mind paying a premium but I also don't want to be gouged. They need to be priced competitively to the point where most people won't even bother looking for alternatives. At this point it seems like we're all seeing what other options are out there. Luckily my stay isn't until early next year so I have some time to see how it all plays out.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 2:50 pm

How about 'Roils'

Originally Posted by marcmsj
I think if people start finding their own transfers to/from the resort, they will revisit their yacht pricing. I don't mind paying a premium but I also don't want to be gouged. They need to be priced competitively to the point where most people won't even bother looking for alternatives. At this point it seems like we're all seeing what other options are out there. Luckily my stay isn't until early next year so I have some time to see how it all plays out.
I wholeheartedly agree and that's exactly what I'm going to do when we get around to staying at this resort (and anyone else I know that plans on going). First I have a very long stay at Rangali which will burn almost every single point in the point bank. Maybe visit in late 2020. Thank god we have folks like @alanslegal who will get to the WA right on opening day and kick service butt where needed and maybe throw some plant growth hormones onto the flora for us latecomers, heh. Thanks buddy!
Old Jun 19, 2019, 4:17 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by marcmsj
I kind of doubt it. I can't imagine any prospective cash-paying guest deciding not to stay at the WA because the transfer is a couple hundred bucks more expensive than it probably should be when you consider what the room rates look like. The only people staying there who are that price sensitive are people staying on points and the resort is not going to lower prices to appease people staying on points. If anything, they probably look at barriers to entry for people staying on points as a positive thing.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 4:40 pm

I'm late to the party, only realizing now that this property exists and that I have enough points/desire to go there, and now the availability has dried up significantly for the Dec 2019 - Mar 2020 high-season. There is no 5-day availability during that time. However, there is availability in October (when there is a higher chance of rain), or there is also wide-open availability during high season at the Conrad Maldives which I am also considering.

My wife and I have never been to the Maldives before. The closest comparative I have is Bora Bora (stayed at the Conrad Bora Bora Nui), which was our favorite trip of all time, due primarily to the upscale hard product, activities available, and the service. Is there anyone here who has been to the Maldives in both high and rainy seasons, and/or has also experienced both the Conrad Maldives and one of the Bora Bora hotels I mentioned, who can provide some perspective?

1. Based on what we know about the WA Maldives, do you think the hard product is better "enough" in comparison to the Conrad Maldives to justify going in potentially-rainy October vs likely sunny January?
2. (Bonus question: Is the Conrad Maldives vs Conrad Bora Bora going to be similar in terms of hard and soft product, or will I be disappointed?)

(Also, I'm looking to go anytime during that Jan-Mar period, on the extreme longshot that someone has days booked they are looking to cancel)
Old Jun 19, 2019, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by beefninja
I'm late to the party, only realizing now that this property exists and that I have enough points/desire to go there, and now the availability has dried up significantly for the Dec 2019 - Mar 2020 high-season. There is no 5-day availability during that time. However, there is availability in October (when there is a higher chance of rain), or there is also wide-open availability during high season at the Conrad Maldives which I am also considering.

My wife and I have never been to the Maldives before. The closest comparative I have is Bora Bora (stayed at the Conrad Bora Bora Nui), which was our favorite trip of all time, due primarily to the upscale hard product, activities available, and the service. Is there anyone here who has been to the Maldives in both high and rainy seasons, and/or has also experienced both the Conrad Maldives and one of the Bora Bora hotels I mentioned, who can provide some perspective?

1. Based on what we know about the WA Maldives, do you think the hard product is better "enough" in comparison to the Conrad Maldives to justify going in potentially-rainy October vs likely sunny January?
2. (Bonus question: Is the Conrad Maldives vs Conrad Bora Bora going to be similar in terms of hard and soft product, or will I be disappointed?)

(Also, I'm looking to go anytime during that Jan-Mar period, on the extreme longshot that someone has days booked they are looking to cancel)
2. Conrad Bora Bora finished their refurbishment and rebrand in early 2017. Conrad Maldives rooms are older, however the DBV's are in the process of refurbishment. Between the two properties the rooms at Conrad BB are in much nicer shape than what I saw at Conrad Maldives. Maldives felt more exclusive, however we much preferred the aquatic life in Bora Bora. Bora Bora you can get a nicer room and cheaper eat and drink relative to the Maldives.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 6:16 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Thank god we have folks like @alanslegal who will get to the WA right on opening day and kick service butt where needed and maybe throw some plant growth hormones onto the flora for us latecomers, heh. Thanks buddy!
I will try my best but those damn (flamingo,swan,pineapple,unicorn) floaties that we are bringing take up a lot of luggage space!

Originally Posted by beefninja

The WA hard product looks impressive so far (well it needs some time for the vegetation to grow - see above comment). The entry rooms at WA are individual beach villas with pool and on your own slice of beachfront. Compare that to Bora Bora where you might be stuck in an apartment style Garden Suite, with neighbors or adjacent to the gym. There are 11? or so restaurants at WA versus 4? at the Bora Bora property. Diamond benefits appear much better at the WA (breakfast, happy hour, afternoon tea vs just breakfast at Bora Bora).

Having been to BB and Maldives two times each, Maldives wins on most categories 1. higher prices 2. better service 3. better food 4. newer resorts 5. better access if you can get to Asia/Middle East .... Bora Bora wins on postcard views of Mt Otenamu but the Conrad has little views of that. You can bring in alcohol - so six bottles of good champagne per couple duty free. At Bora Bora most resorts have access to the main island, whereas many resorts in Maldives you are held captive. Oh and I will definitely miss those bicycles they have at the Conrad Bora Bora.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 6:30 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by alanslegal
Having been to BB and Maldives two times each, Maldives wins on most categories 1. higher prices 2. better service 3. better food 4. newer resorts 5. better access if you can get to Asia/Middle East .... Bora Bora wins on postcard views of Mt Otenamu but the Conrad has little views of that. You can bring in alcohol - so six bottles of good champagne per couple duty free. At Bora Bora most resorts have access to the main island, whereas many resorts in Maldives you are held captive. Oh and I will definitely miss those bicycles they have at the Conrad Bora Bora.
For Americans, surely Bora Bora is significantly easier than getting to the Maldives? There are now multiple options to Papeete and it's just an hour flight from there. Obviously if you're in Dubai, then the Maldives wins out for those times when you want a 5* hotel on water that's not in a desert.

For what it's worth having been to both the Conrad Rangali Island and Conrad Bora Bora, both are fantastic hotels. I'm skeptical about the WA, but let's see how the reviews go. I'm already predicting certain issues in reviews.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 7:27 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
For Americans, surely Bora Bora is significantly easier than getting to the Maldives? There are now multiple options to Papeete and it's just an hour flight from there. Obviously if you're in Dubai, then the Maldives wins out for those times when you want a 5* hotel on water that's not in a desert.

For what it's worth having been to both the Conrad Rangali Island and Conrad Bora Bora, both are fantastic hotels. I'm skeptical about the WA, but let's see how the reviews go. I'm already predicting certain issues in reviews.
I don't know where beefninja is located/flying in from so hence I suggested it is good access if one can get to Asia/Middle East. From the USA then Bora Bora is much closer esp if one is flying out from the west coast.

We've been to both Conrads Maldvies/Bora Bora as well and they are excellent properties - I just anticipate/hope/expect that this WA to be much better than those two. There's a few of us arriving in the first week July, so we'll hear feedback very soon.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by sydneyflyer12
I kind of doubt it. I can't imagine any prospective cash-paying guest deciding not to stay at the WA because the transfer is a couple hundred bucks more expensive than it probably should be when you consider what the room rates look like. The only people staying there who are that price sensitive are people staying on points and the resort is not going to lower prices to appease people staying on points. If anything, they probably look at barriers to entry for people staying on points as a positive thing.
Yeah... unfortunately you are wrong here. If the occupancy of a hotel is 95%+ the hotel is reimbursed the full rate (my family owns a number of Marriott branded properties.. I am not sure what Hiltons policy is.. I will ask my family friend who owns one tomorrow). Given the WA is Hiltons #1 aspirational points property, I would imagine management definitely knows what they are doing here. They want guests to burn the highest points rate of any HIlton property, get gouged on transfers, get gouged on upgrades to OWA ($400++), and overpay for F&B. The kicker is people will happily do it because they want to instagram the hard product. The cash rate guests are more than welcome as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.