Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2019, 6:44 pm

I don't see how 80% of the hotel would realistically be filled with points stays. According to the brochure in this thread there are 122 villas at the hotel. Only 16 of those (~13%) are rooms that can be booked at the 120k rate. From there the points cost goes totally dynamic and spikes to 500k+ per night.

Given those numbers, I wouldn't expect more than 20-30% of the villas to be filled by guests paying points, unless the hotel is getting really high paid upgrade numbers and then releases that base room space again.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 7:35 pm

I mean points and then upgrades, free and paid. They will be upgrading like a headless chicken to get occupancy rates up, incidental cash in and re-release 120K rooms into inventory.
Do we have any stats on Arabs not using loyalty programs? Why wouldn't they? Surely it makes sense to pay then get free stuff? I thought folks with money are usually stingy and take advantage of anything to keep it. That's how they stay rich. Dunno, maybe it's part of their culture. The only properties in the Hilton chain where there are no points limits are in Arabia. Coincidence?
Anyway, you guys might well be right however you can't compare it to Rangali where 25% of rooms are Golds & Diamonds on points. Price point is totally different. 80% is probably excessive but if you include paid upgrades like I mentioned and upgrading to re-release 120K inventory I think you'll find 50% (60 rooms) is easily doable.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 8:42 pm

The Conrad is mainly points stay. Because, it is one of like 5 of valuable hilton properties. It also demands fairly high prices for sub-par rooms. The Conred is beatiful and all, but doesn't have good value for those paying with cash. There are many resorts with much nicer rooms for the same price points. Example : Two-Bedroom outdated beach villa at Conrad (2,700) or Two-Bedroom overwater at residence Maldives (1,700).
Old Jun 21, 2019, 10:27 pm

Programs: QF OWE, HH D, HGP D, Starriott Plat, AA/LM/SQ/VA/QF/AS/BA
Originally Posted by beefninja
I'm late to the party, only realizing now that this property exists and that I have enough points/desire to go there, and now the availability has dried up significantly for the Dec 2019 - Mar 2020 high-season. There is no 5-day availability during that time. However, there is availability in October (when there is a higher chance of rain), or there is also wide-open availability during high season at the Conrad Maldives which I am also considering.
I just moved my reservation in late February to late March. As a result, there's now a 7 night award window open from 19-Feb 2020 if you're quick. Good luck if not to anyone else interested.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 12:12 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
I mean points and then upgrades, free and paid. They will be upgrading like a headless chicken to get occupancy rates up, incidental cash in and re-release 120K rooms into inventory.
So in the last week or so the resort has emailed me asking for my flight / arrival details and if I would like to make my stay "even more special" because "we recommend upgrading your villa to a higher category for my upcoming stay"

Finally got around to book my hotel the night prior to arrival (get into MLE at 22:00) and ended up at the Huvan Beach Hotel for a frugal $45 for the night in an ocean view room with balcony. $45 will get me 2 or maybe 3 bottles of Evian at the resort?

Advised them of the hotel and they asked again if I was interested in a paid upgrade ..... guess they are keen to get points guest into higher paid rooms. I declined and will enjoy my points booked beach villa thanks.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 12:20 am

Originally Posted by Traveler Dave
Nice videos showing a lot of area around the resort. But like the OP said a little rough. If you are prone to motion sickness take some Dramamine before watching.

I'm surprised by the villa density...seems a little crowded?

Last edited by iluvdoco; Jun 22, 2019 at 7:46 am
Old Jun 22, 2019, 10:31 am

Some of the menus. Looks like they are going to obviously change, but are good for getting an idea of the price-point.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 12:11 pm

$20 for a Ceaser or $35 for a burger looks to be inline (although spendy) for a resort at this level. But $80 for a lobster roll? Think I’ll wait until I m back in Boston and pay $24 for an over-priced one there. I assume all of these prices are ++ as well?

TD
Old Jun 22, 2019, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by Traveler Dave
$20 for a Ceaser or $35 for a burger looks to be inline (although spendy) for a resort at this level. But $80 for a lobster roll? Think I’ll wait until I m back in Boston and pay $24 for an over-priced one there. I assume all of these prices are ++ as well?

TD
Agreed. Some of the other prices seem at the outer limits of gouging but the lobster roll pricing is beyond insane. If served plain, the $17 french fries are approaching that territory too.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 2:58 pm

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, DL PM, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by WorldTravl

Some of the menus. Looks like they are going to obviously change, but are good for getting an idea of the price-point.
That Terra menu looks amazing!
Old Jun 22, 2019, 3:40 pm

The Conrad is mainly points stay.
Like I said, Conrad Rangali is 20%, max 25%, of rooms on points stays. Get with it, dude.

It also demands fairly high prices for sub-par rooms. The Conred is beatiful and all, but doesn't have good value for those paying with cash.
Rubbish! At $350-400++ in a low season sale it's a fantastic deal for a newly renovated BV. Even standard 25 or 30% off BAR (which is pretty standard for pre-paid, non-cancellable rates) is a really good deal.

If you're going to post with 'facts', get them straight first. And please, spell correctly.
The Conred is beatiful
Old Jun 22, 2019, 3:55 pm

I'm from New England ... hahahahaha re lobster (part of Terra menu) and lobster roll $$ ... yup let's go all the way to the Maldives for Maine lobster ...
Old Jun 22, 2019, 4:27 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I guess I'm not a "foodie" as I've never paid anything like $388++ for dinner for one person, before drinks.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by llfoster
I'm from New England ... hahahahaha re lobster (part of Terra menu) and lobster roll $$ ... yup let's go all the way to the Maldives for Maine lobster ...
Can’t wait to try the $48 bowl of chowda!

TD
Old Jun 22, 2019, 4:56 pm

Some of the prices are indeed ridiculous - but what did we expect. $17++ for fries....must be due to the world potato shortage. At least there are some reasonably priced items there.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.