Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2019, 6:02 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Cages in Bali have been very “in” on Instagram in the last couple of years. They might have been aiming at influencers, but no influencer pays $800 for dinner (or ideally, anything at all).
Old Jun 23, 2019, 6:06 pm

I was not able to locate tennis courts.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 6:59 pm

LOL. The website is one of the most important aspects of a resort, not mentioning one that is opening in days. And WA made one that doesn't work, doesn't look good, and has pictures misplaced.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 7:57 pm

It’s funny watching the nightly cash rate drop. All they have to do is lower the transfer price so any potential guest doesn’t have sticker shock before even thinking about booking. I rent a 35’ sea ray for a full 8 hours with a captain, first mate and free flowing alcohol for $1800 in the USVI. Hard to imagine why I need to pay $900 for 30 minutes. I don’t know any oil rich Arabs so maybe their perspective is different.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 11:13 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by beefninja
Wonder if it's just something going wrong with their website?
The skeptic side of me says it is intentional. The resort isn't really ready to open so have closed all bookings moving forward. Those already booked, probably all on points and from FT, will get to stay and enjoy a bare bones property rather than be 'walked' to an equivalent property.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 11:51 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by alanslegal
The resort isn't really ready to open so have closed all bookings moving forward.
It still seems bookable for cash at the moment so it's unlikely they are trying to stop the flow of guests because they are not ready...

Last edited by escape4; Jun 24, 2019 at 12:08 am
Old Jun 24, 2019, 12:17 am

Originally Posted by jphripjah
I'm booked for July 6 and I'm really worried that an hour after arriving on the property I'll be kicking myself that I didn't just go back to an overwater villa at Rangali Island for 25,000 fewer points per night. I'm struggling to see how this place will be "better" than CMRI, except that the villas are bigger, better, and newer.
Among other things, I would expect breakfast to be better at WA than Conrad. So please at least wait until the next morning before kicking yourself too badly

For a stay July 6 you are right perhaps WA just won't be ready for you to fully enjoy your stay. However for a stay a few months down the line, I think 25k pts is likely to be worth it, after all 25k pts is not what it used to be. Otherwise we would be arguing that if it was not for points, we would be willing to pay no more than $125 extra per night at WA than Conrad if we value points at 0.5 cpp. It's unlikely the long-term cash difference between the two properties will be only $125 per night.

That said, while I think WA will continue to command a significant price premium over Conrad specifically because of the rooms / villas, I also think that WA will not beat Conrad on all possible aspects of a head-to-head comparison. Among other things, the feeling you get on the resort will probably be better at Conrad as a result of vegetation being scanty at WA in the short to medium term.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 1:05 am

Originally Posted by escape4
It still seems bookable for cash at the moment so it's unlikely they are trying to stop the flow of guests because they are not ready...
They are doing a daily opening countdown on Instagram. I also doubt they are trying slow the flow. Hilton pulls and replaces points rooms all the times. Go check out the Conrad BB thread. The sky was falling over there last week. Now wide open points stays. This is not the first time they have messed with points room availability with this resort. They did it about a week after they started offering base points rooms. Two or three days later they all came back.

TD
Old Jun 24, 2019, 1:13 am

...update....now it looks like ALL points and cash days have been removed from booking for the next year....assuming/hoping it is related to the opening in a week. I presume they will launch an updated website on July 1st.

TD

Old Jun 24, 2019, 2:01 am

For the month of July 2019, there is no cash bookings available. I did not check further than this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 3:47 am

Originally Posted by alanslegal
For the month of July 2019, there is no cash bookings available. I did not check further than this.
I am somewhat confused then, when I posted a message earlier today cash bookings were available for July 2019. I just checked again and it's still available. I am looking on hilton.com.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 3:49 am

Who knows with Hilton and their IT department. No doubt it will return to normal in the next couple of days.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 3:50 am

I tried July 17-24 and all looks normal

Old Jun 24, 2019, 7:03 am

I tried July 17-24 and all looks normal
Not doubting yours, but I just checked again and for those dates, mine shows cash unavailable for those same dates, both on PC and App. Tried flexible dates, tried reducing length and still no luck. Guess what MaldivesFreak suggest might be an IT/Hilton/potential new website issue.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 7:22 am

What might be happening is they are updating the site (and testing the updates) on a single server or set of servers in one location and not letting it (the changes) propagate throughout the whole CDN(Content Distribution Network) so some people in different locations are seeing different things.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.