Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2019, 1:21 am

Go Fund started

Is there anyone here that plans to go to Terra? If not, I pledge fifty real dollars to @alanslegal for the dinner.

FEI: I know him personally
Old Jun 23, 2019, 4:05 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by WorldTravl
I will probably go to Terra. It's a splurge, but considering I got the room for "free". I
It's not free unless you have a lifetime supply of unlimited points.

I'm staying here instead of Gili Lankanfushi, which would have cost me £3700 inc. transfers and half board for a Lagoon Villa (so not a base room). Gili is regarding as one of the best rated hotels in the world.

Once I've paid for my return transfers at the WA, accounted for 360k Hilton points (that would pay for our week's hotel in Dubai for half term - £2100), and started paying those kinds of prices for dinner, I may well be better off at Gili.

I'll read reviews until August and make a decision, I think. I understand you're going to get gouged at these resorts, but when one dinner in a kids' playhouse is costing you the same as a weekend in Paris - methinks they doth taketh the pith.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 4:57 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist

Is that Terra on the left side of the road at the 35 second mark of the above video? It doesn't look so luxurious. And if it's dark you won't see anything anyway, you'll just be eating dinner in the dark more or less on top of a telephone pole with the back of your dining pod open to the passersby on the road behind you.

Last edited by jphripjah; Jun 23, 2019 at 5:08 am
Old Jun 23, 2019, 5:51 am

I haven't received any emails from the property requesting my arrival plan or offers for upgrades for my stay that starts in about 10 days. I probably don't meet their criteria unlike some of the other folks that have already received this kind of communication from them

Last edited by Stivelio; Jun 23, 2019 at 6:43 am
Old Jun 23, 2019, 5:52 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, BA Gold, IHG Gold, Oman Gold
Not that impressed

Okay it’s a shaky video and only some photos so far. But overall does not look that impressive. Will be good to see the reviews as they come in but I would question the costs for all of it.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 6:42 am

Deleted
Old Jun 23, 2019, 7:24 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Is there anyone here that plans to go to Terra? If not, I pledge fifty real dollars to @alanslegal for the dinner.

FEI: I know him personally
Thanks mate, every dollar counts towards a meal at Terra

Originally Posted by jphripjah
Is that Terra on the left side of the road at the 35 second mark of the above video? It doesn't look so luxurious. And if it's dark you won't see anything anyway, you'll just be eating dinner in the dark more or less on top of a telephone pole with the back of your dining pod open to the passersby on the road behind you.
Have a look at this video - the tree canopy looks very sparse from the pods. As you said at night you eat in the dark, and during the day - it might get too hot. Now if the pods have fairy lights, maybe it might make it a bit more interesting at night but is it $776++ per couple interesting.

Old Jun 23, 2019, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by Stivelio
I haven't received any emails from the property requesting my arrival plan or offers for upgrades for my stay that starts in about 10 days. I probably don't meet their criteria unlike some of the other folks that have already received this kind of communication from them
Check your spam folder. Other emails from the WA came to my inbox. I just happened across the email when looking for another work email

TD
Old Jun 23, 2019, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by alanslegal
Thanks mate, every dollar counts towards a meal at Terra

Have a look at this video - the tree canopy looks very sparse from the pods. As you said at night you eat in the dark, and during the day - it might get too hot. Now if the pods have fairy lights, maybe it might make it a bit more interesting at night but is it $776++ per couple interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5y3vQSisiI
I may be too critical, correct me if I am, but the “romantic seating for two” looks pretty uncomfortable for an extended dinner.

With 10 other places to eat, plus room service, I am sure we will have many great meals. Unless there are actual fairies dancing out front of the pod I can’t see that being worth it, for me. It is after all, just food. Several hours later it will have passed an I will once again by hungry.

TD
Old Jun 23, 2019, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by Gold_Member
I just moved my reservation in late February to late March. As a result, there's now a 7 night award window open from 19-Feb 2020 if you're quick. Good luck if not to anyone else interested.
Might have missed this, but there seems to be something else going on.

-Flexible calendar is now 100% unavailable for all dates for award bookings from now through June of 2020.
-Investigating further shows that the Flexible calendar is also unavailable for standard (non-point) rates
-You can find standard rates not via the calendar, but if you search on specific days.
-The base rooms (ie. Beach Villa, I think) seem to be 100% unavailable for any dates I looked at.
-Prices on most of the other rooms seem to have been lowered (ie. King Reef Villa with Pool is down to $1172/night during high season)

Last edited by beefninja; Jun 23, 2019 at 10:13 am
Old Jun 23, 2019, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by Stivelio
They must be slacking or fully booked (except for the OW suites and Private Island accommodations of course) for your dates.

Originally Posted by jphripjah
LMAO! When you look at it it does kinda look like a bunch of animal cages. I wonder if there's afternoon tea with bananas served for pet monkeys that guests might happen to bring along? Aren't they Kolikuttu herbs there in the foreground?

To be honest the more I look at this picture and the more I think about it the more ridiculous it gets. I mean if they were to house each table (or 'nest' as they call them) in a weeping willow tree it might be worth a look (and have a bit of privacy), but dinner in a cage sitting on top of a pole.....and not even in a real forest. Meh. Not exactly something you'd write home about. And for close to $1000. Forget it.

It shows you how hard it is to write a good pull line when all they can say to entice guests is "Gaze across the ocean as you dine among the treetops in one of seven bamboo nests." Wow. We're avian, huh. Is there any way I can see out across the ocean after the sun sets? Erm.....no. Do I want to be turned into a baked chicken by the midday sun for lunch so I can have this view? Again.....no.

Last edited by MaldivesFreak; Jun 23, 2019 at 12:07 pm
Old Jun 23, 2019, 11:12 am

LOL wth is happening. Grand Reef is 1400$ more than normal reef villa.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by WorldTravl

LOL wth is happening. Grand Reef is 1400$ more than normal reef villa.
They used to sort of have 3 base tiers of room. In February, there used to be :
  1. Beach Villas at ~$1800,
  2. Reef or Grand Beach Villas at ~$2000, and
  3. Grand Reef or Overwater Villas at ~$2200.

Now, the Reef Villas seem to have come down to ~$1300 (-$700 vs before) and the Overwater Villas have come down to ~$1700 (-$700 vs before). The "Grand" upgrades on Reef Villa and Overwater Villas are now +~$1300. Beach Villas seem have maintained the same price as before so they are now apparently "better" than the Reef or Overwater Villas even though they used to be the entry-level room (and are smaller). They also show 0% availability on points for any dates I have checked.

Also weird is I am only able to see the above if I go to incognito/private in my browser and search for specific dates (without asking it to consider "flexible dates"). If I use a regular browser window, it just tells me there is 0 availability for cash rates on any date.

Wonder if it's just something going wrong with their website?
Old Jun 23, 2019, 5:34 pm

What happened to all the award availability? I'm hoping it's just a temporary website glitch rather than anything intentional.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 5:44 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
To be honest the more I look at this picture and the more I think about it the more ridiculous it gets. I mean if they were to house each table (or 'nest' as they call them) in a weeping willow tree it might be worth a look (and have a bit of privacy), but dinner in a cage sitting on top of a pole.....and not even in a real forest. Meh. Not exactly something you'd write home about. And for close to $1000. Forget it.

I'm booked for July 6 and I'm really worried that an hour after arriving on the property I'll be kicking myself that I didn't just go back to an overwater villa at Rangali Island for 25,000 fewer points per night. I'm struggling to see how this place will be "better" than CMRI, except that the villas are bigger, better, and newer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.