Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2019, 9:21 am

Programs: HH Diamond, BAEC
I don’t drink wine so just have water but I love Voss. And the Voss is $2 cheaper at the WA than CR, LOL.

Well tomorrow is the big day for the WA opening, I guess we just wait and see what happens.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 9:52 am

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, DL PM, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
From $15++ to $30++ depending on the location.
An entree is closer to $35++ to $75++ at one of the bars and $45++ to $90++ at the restaurants at CMR. There aren't any entrees anywhere on the resort that I remember in the $15++ to $30++ range. You might be able to find a chicken dish at Ufaa for $29++, but then you have to pay $12++ or so for the steamed white rice that goes with it.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 9:58 am

But
Originally Posted by Michael19887
I spent a lot of time looking at the menus. I don't think the food costs at WA is that much outrageously higher than our last trip to CMR. Seems to be a $10 or $15 premium for comparable dishes at the WA vs. CMR. I look forwarding to hearing reports if the quality of the food offsets the premium. Beer prices are comparable, and the selection at WA is much better (tons of craft beer options under $20 at WA if that's your thing - no craft beers at CMR). Pool cocktail menu appears the same price within a couple of dollars between the resorts. Wine at WA is ridiculous - who would pay those prices?
Michael

After a closer look I think I agree with you....money out of pocket-wise....

An overpriced meal at Conrad may be $40 with a similar meal being $60 at WA. With a 50% increase, this is obviously excessive for the same food. But it is still just $20.

Of course, after 9 days with 2 adults/1 child that % difference will add up. But financially (money spent) will not be enough for me to notice, especially when you consider the overall trip cost.

My hope is that the food will be amazing and I actually taste the extra $20 per meal. My first trip to Maldives, but have been to 7 resorts in Bora Bora. I found the food generally priced equally to Conrad Maldives (from blog reports). Only 1 of those resorts had food worthy of the prices they were asking. I would have gladly paid $20, per plate, more for every dinner to have been “wowed”. I am in no way a foodie. I just like good food.

On the the flip side, if the food is comparable to the mediocre food I have previously experienced 50% more per meal will blow.

To the chef’s at Waldorf Maldives, please make us appreciate why we are paying so much more for food!

TD

Last edited by Traveler Dave; Jun 30, 2019 at 10:15 am
Old Jun 30, 2019, 10:19 am

Three hours til July 1st in Male.

Anyone think they will release a new/improved website in 3 hours? The current website has slowly been updated over the last 30 days. But still feels very fragmented/incomplete. That could just be my perception as I have been looking at it for several months.

TD
Old Jun 30, 2019, 10:41 am

I took a look at saii lagoon rates. They are really low : 650 for an overwater in high season (Early April). Two bedroom overwater is only 1700. The rooms and lagoon there seem to be very nice. Especially because half of the overwater villas face away from male. The lagoon at the saii/hardrock/crossroads complex looks amazing. Much more of that shallow clear blue water, that you get at the Conrad. I might change, and pay 1300 a night, for two overwater villas . I booked a room at the WA for three people, with 400$ upgrade. Food and activities (for 3) at the WA looks like it's going to cost over 1200$ a day. Which including the upgrade makes my ten night stay $17,000.

Waldorf Astoria

Saii Lagoon (Bottom) Hard Rock (Top)
Old Jun 30, 2019, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by Traveler Dave
Three hours til July 1st in Male.

Anyone think they will release a new/improved website in 3 hours? The current website has slowly been updated over the last 30 days. But still feels very fragmented/incomplete. That could just be my perception as I have been looking at it for several months.

TD
To me it is interesting that they haven't made a new website yet . Saii Lagoon has made theres. They even have 360 tours of rooms!.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 10:47 am

Last edited by Traveler Dave; Jun 30, 2019 at 10:54 am
Old Jun 30, 2019, 10:59 am

Old Jun 30, 2019, 1:00 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
There is some seriously odd pricing in that link. Some surprisingly good deals ($30 for snorkelling for an hour? - Presumably with someone?) but also some odd ones. $180 for two dives, but $2,450 if you want to go private.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 1:03 pm

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
That photography package is mental. I'll take 500 high res shots of any couple for 2 hours whilst I'm there for $250 if anyone is interested.

Which will probably buy me enough water to stay hydrated for those two hours...
Old Jun 30, 2019, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by Michael19887
Wine at WA is ridiculous - who would pay those prices?
Part of the resort's market is people for whom money really isn't an object. So the answer to your question is "people for whom money isn't really an object".

I think it's one of those, "if you're appalled by these prices, you're obviously not in the target demographic" things.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 1:36 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
That photography package is mental. I'll take 500 high res shots of any couple for 2 hours whilst I'm there for $250 if anyone is interested.

Which will probably buy me enough water to stay hydrated for those two hours...
I think that’s actually relatively standard pricing for super resorts - I seem to remember the St Regis Bora Bora actually being quite a bit higher actually.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete

I think that’s actually relatively standard pricing for super resorts - I seem to remember the St Regis Bora Bora actually being quite a bit higher actually.
We have never done a “picture package” on any of our trips. Thought it seemed odd. But with my daughter getting older I can see why people would do this. We prefer candid vacation shots, but a nice family photo professional done while on holiday does seem like a nice thing to do. Maybe old age is creeping in.

The price is “cheap” in comparison to other resort pricing I have seen. Yes, much more expensive than going to Olin Mills at Sears....but I think the product will be heads above.

TD
Old Jun 30, 2019, 3:06 pm

The results of these photoshoots (assuming they have a good photographer) are actually pretty spectacular - much better than anyone would do as an amateur unless you're the kind of person who enjoys doing their own post-editing in Photoshop. In Bora Bora I thought it was worthwhile especially for younger American couples who might be on their honeymoon but who in any case had 30+ years of work ahead of them with only a couple of international holidays a year.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by NightFury1
Thanks for the menu!

I get that that these prices are inflated but... who would pay this??

I am intrigued on the thought process of getting to this price. Surely they thought "We'd be giving it away at $86,140 and we no one in their right mind would pay $86,150 so lets go $86,144 and see how many takers we get".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.