FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}
Old Jun 30, 2019, 9:58 am
Traveler Dave

But
Originally Posted by Michael19887
I spent a lot of time looking at the menus. I don't think the food costs at WA is that much outrageously higher than our last trip to CMR. Seems to be a $10 or $15 premium for comparable dishes at the WA vs. CMR. I look forwarding to hearing reports if the quality of the food offsets the premium. Beer prices are comparable, and the selection at WA is much better (tons of craft beer options under $20 at WA if that's your thing - no craft beers at CMR). Pool cocktail menu appears the same price within a couple of dollars between the resorts. Wine at WA is ridiculous - who would pay those prices?
Michael

After a closer look I think I agree with you....money out of pocket-wise....

An overpriced meal at Conrad may be $40 with a similar meal being $60 at WA. With a 50% increase, this is obviously excessive for the same food. But it is still just $20.

Of course, after 9 days with 2 adults/1 child that % difference will add up. But financially (money spent) will not be enough for me to notice, especially when you consider the overall trip cost.

My hope is that the food will be amazing and I actually taste the extra $20 per meal. My first trip to Maldives, but have been to 7 resorts in Bora Bora. I found the food generally priced equally to Conrad Maldives (from blog reports). Only 1 of those resorts had food worthy of the prices they were asking. I would have gladly paid $20, per plate, more for every dinner to have been “wowed”. I am in no way a foodie. I just like good food.

On the the flip side, if the food is comparable to the mediocre food I have previously experienced 50% more per meal will blow.

To the chef’s at Waldorf Maldives, please make us appreciate why we are paying so much more for food!

TD

Last edited by Traveler Dave; Jun 30, 2019 at 10:15 am