Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2019, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by jphripjah
Here are the price lists for excursions, water sports, diving, and retail:

https://www.scribd.com/document/4124...sion-Pricelist
Link not working for me, do you have a mirror?
Old Jun 4, 2019, 6:36 pm

Programs: QF OWE, HH D, HGP D, Starriott Plat, AA/LM/SQ/VA/QF/AS/BA
Originally Posted by KRUXED

I agree that looks like a day trip to Male is $75 per person. This makes me even more irritated with the airport transfer costs
Anyone game enough to book a regular one way transfer using the property yacht upon arrival in MLE, and then book this $75++ excursion to Male as their return trip? Some how I can’t see WA allowing this type of arrangement.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by Gold_Member

Anyone game enough to book a regular one way transfer using the property yacht upon arrival in MLE, and then book this $75++ excursion to Male as their return trip? Some how I can’t see WA allowing this type of arrangement.
This would 100% not work for several reasons
Old Jun 4, 2019, 7:44 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by marcmsj
This would 100% not work for several reasons
If you had four people, two of them could take everyone's luggage on the yacht transfer, while the other two could do the day trip without luggage and then just walk away in Male.

Of course it won't work because the resort won't allow it. They ask for everyone's arrival/departure info in advance and they're not going to let you book a day trip to Male that conflicts with your departure plans. And if you disappear on a day trip to Male they're going to charge you for the return yacht trip they booked you on and that you didn't show up for.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 8:10 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Breakfast only being offered in one restaurant, the least luxurious all day dining restaurant, is a minor disappointment I guess.
Most resorts offer breakfast in only one restaurant so unless I hear that they offer breakfast in two venues, this is not a disappointment for me but rather the baseline expectation.

Originally Posted by Wozza2404
I'm no expert on these properties, but given a lot of HIlton and Conrad properties that SHOULD have to upgrade Diamond guests don't seem to bother, I doubt the WA Maldives - who don't have to - will bother.

I'd imagine heavy spending returning guests may well get upgrades, but a Diamond on their first trip? I'd say the chances are close to zero unless occupancy is oversold in the beach villas.
I would not be surprised in the least if they upgrade, not only in 2019 but also down the road. It would be a questionable business decision for a hotel trying to build a clientele and steer customers away from competing resorts to not upgrade when rooms are available. There are plenty of hotels around the world who are not absolutely required to upgrade but do so nonetheless because it's simply good business practice; competitive pressures can make it desirable from their standpoint. If you can book the entry level room at StRegis and be upgraded three categories to sunset overwater villa upon availability, if WA does not upgrade under any circumstances then they are free to do so but they will stand out in a negative light for this aspect and they will need to impress in many other aspects to make up for it. I very much doubt that it will be their chosen course of action, but time will tell.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 9:40 pm

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
Everyone having breakfast in the same restaurant is actually preferable because it makes it more difficult for the hotel to segment the breakfast benefit/offering between status guests and guests who are paying for a breakfast rate.

I've reached out to the hotel and asked for them to confirm the breakfast benefits for Golds.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 10:57 pm

reached out to the hotel and asked for them to confirm the breakfast benefits for Golds.
Let’s put this topic to bed please....it is Continental Breakfast. Read back through the thread and you will see it has been confirmed over and over and over.....and over.

Now a new, unanswered/asked, question could be what is WA’s definition of Continental Breakfast? For that I have no answer. But below is a link to a review on the Conrad Bora Bora that includes many pictures of their complimentary Continental Breakfast. A breakfast I can verify is identical to what is represented in those pictures and given to us for free.

We obviously have no idea what the WA will provide for free, but as they look to raise the bar with this resort, can’t imagine it being any less than something similar.

TD

https://onemileatatime.com/conrad-bora-bora-review/
Old Jun 4, 2019, 11:02 pm

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
Originally Posted by Traveler Dave
Let’s put this topic to bed please....it is Continental Breakfast. Read back through the thread and you will see it has been confirmed over and over and over.....and over.
The point of reaching out to the hotel is to ask them to provide more details around the breakfast benefit, beyond the very vague "continental breakfast" that has - as you say - been mentioned several times in this thread.

So before we "put this topic to bed" - let's try and find out more details if we can. Or feel free to stop reading if you disagree.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 11:15 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Traveler Dave

The email they sent me didn't say "continental" breakfast. I've stayed at dozens of Hiltons as a Diamond member and have always gotten a complimentary cooked full breakfast.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 11:26 pm

Delighted to inform you that we have luxury yacht transfers for all our guests and is a 30 minute ride from Velana International airport which can be arranged 24/7 according to your international flight arrival time. Transfer fee is at US$350+23.2% Tax and service charge per adult per way.
For what it's worth, I booked on February 11, shortly after the award nights became available, and my booking confirmation said the transfer fee was $370 + 23.2% return, not per way.

I recently emailed the property and reminded them of this, after receiving their recent email with this $350 + 23.2% per way transfer fee listed.

Their response is: "we will honor the return transfer rate US$370 + 23.2% per person as a special case for your reservation as this rate was published incorrectly till 15th February, due to a technical error."

I imagine what this means is:

1. They are automatically charging everyone a transfer fee of $350 + 23.2% per person per way, regardless of when you booked
2. If you booked on or before February 15, and you bring this to their attention and tell them you were quoted $370 +23.2 % return, they will honor that fee

I'm curious if they will have the correct fee on my bill or if I'll have to "remind" them of this error again.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 11:59 pm

I doubt it will proactively be what you thought and agreed it to be on your bill considering it had already long ago been swapped out for the higher price on your personal reservation details online after the fact. I'm not calling them to remind them, but instead will see in person what they say it is when I check out in August. I shouldn't have to remind them.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 2:14 am
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Moflav

OK, now I am officially part of the WA Maldives obsessed group who counts down days and checks this thread 10 times a day looking for any additional info, videos and pics.

Here is some additional info for those interested in transfers from the airport to the resort.

Atolltransfer.com is charging $580 round trip for a speedboat that holds a maximum of 6 passengers. The reviews on this company are mostly good but I am still debating the cost/benefit of a beautiful yacht provided by the resort vs a small speedboat with a potentially bumpy ride. According to the reviews, some of the boats provide plastic bags for seasickness. Yep, the internal debate of convenience vs cost savings ($1000) which could buy you a few dinners at the resort - if you are able to eat after a speedboat ride
I'm in the same boat, $1000 is a lot to give up for a 30-minute ride. My worry is not comfort but more reliability of them turning up on the following the flight.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 6:34 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Exactly a month to go before we get there and counting down the days.

If anyone else is around 5-12 July, let us know and we'll catch up for a free drink or two at Peacock Alley

And by the way, we are expecting some type of sparkling wine at breakfast - for such a decadent resort, it is a must offer in my opinion.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 7:22 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by alanslegal
Exactly a month to go before we get there and counting down the days.

If anyone else is around 5-12 July, let us know and we'll catch up for a free drink or two at Peacock Alley

And by the way, we are expecting some type of sparkling wine at breakfast - for such a decadent resort, it is a must offer in my opinion.
At a resort clearly aimed at the Arab market this could go either way. There may be almost no demand for it, but on the other hand they could offer a quality champagne at almost no cost...
Old Jun 5, 2019, 7:29 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
At a resort clearly aimed at the Arab market this could go either way. There may be almost no demand for it, but on the other hand they could offer a quality champagne at almost no cost...
St.Regis Maldives provides bubbly for breakfast so in my humble opinion WA should offer it as well as they want to be seen as a more luxurious option

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.