Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2019, 9:53 am

Since this is a new resort and hasn't opened yet, I think those questions are better suited to an email to the resort.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 12:44 pm

Idk why but it makes me mad that they haven't posted information about the resort, or have any intentions to.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by WorldTravl
A^2+b^2= c^2
Care to furnish us with the decryption key.

Anyway, as far as the RVs numbered 311 - 325 go:
* 325: I'd definitely avoid this one as I imagine the view to the LHS isn't going to be pretty and there are two pathways to it, one leading from Terra and The Rock (quote close by) so more foot traffic than desirable.
* 321: looks to be a suite (along with 307). If you've got the $, take it!
That leaves 311, 313, 315, 317, 319 & 323.
* 311: I would pass on this villa as it's pretty close to the main pathway and you might get a bit of noise from passing guests and there will be a lot of them, and quite a few kids to boot. And judging by the shape of the pathways around it you might also be able to see some of the villa from the path, reducing privacy.
That leaves 313, 315, 317, 319 & 323 further away from the pathway.
* 313 & 315: Not much difference here. Average choices due to possible noise from the main pathway.
* 317 & 319: Again, not much difference here but better than 313 & 315 above, with 319 being preferable due to the increased distance from the main path.
* 323: I don't think this one is too close to anything. It's nicely isolated and the furthest from the main pathway among the remaining candidates.

So my first choice for a standard RV would be 323 with 319 and 317 as my 2nd and 3rd choices respectively.

I originally thought there might be some noise audible at the 2 or 3 villas closest to the main development like jphripjah suggested but I think they are far enough away to mitigate most of the sounds that will be made (which will come from the pathways). Another thing I considered is when guests are up in the trees in Terra they might be able to see onto parts of some of the decks and possibly the pools but after watching the video and looking at the angles, heights of the roofs and the amount of cover provided by the trees on the map I think it is, in all likelihood, a non-issue. You could probably see something but you'd have to have binoculars and look for small gaps here and there. Lets hope they don't do something stupid like have a pair set up at each treetop table, you know, like they do in a lot of tourist spots / tall buildings / towers around the world.....ha ha.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Care to furnish us with the decryption key.

Anyway, as far as the RVs numbered 311 - 325 go:
* 325: I'd definitely avoid this one as I imagine the view to the LHS isn't going to be pretty and there are two pathways to it, one leading from Terra and The Rock (quote close by) so more foot traffic than desirable.
* 321: looks to be a suite (along with 307). If you've got the $, take it!
That leaves 311, 313, 315, 317, 319 & 323.
* 311: I would pass on this villa as it's pretty close to the main pathway and you might get a bit of noise from passing guests and there will be a lot of them, and quite a few kids to boot. And judging by the shape of the pathways around it you might also be able to see some of the villa from the path, reducing privacy.
That leaves 313, 315, 317, 319 & 323 further away from the pathway.
* 313 & 315: Not much difference here. Average choices due to possible noise from the main pathway.
* 317 & 319: Again, not much difference here but better than 313 & 315 above, with 319 being preferable due to the increased distance from the main path.
* 323: I don't think this one is too close to anything. It's nicely isolated and the furthest from the main pathway among the remaining candidates.

So my first choice for a standard RV would be 323 with 319 and 317 as my 2nd and 3rd choices respectively.

I originally thought there might be some noise audible at the 2 or 3 villas closest to the main development like jphripjah suggested but I think they are far enough away to mitigate most of the sounds that will be made (which will come from the pathways). Another thing I considered is when guests are up in the trees in Terra they might be able to see onto parts of some of the decks and possibly the pools but after watching the video and looking at the angles, heights of the roofs and the amount of cover provided by the trees on the map I think it is, in all likelihood, a non-issue. You could probably see something but you'd have to have binoculars and look for small gaps here and there. Lets hope they don't do something stupid like have a pair set up at each treetop table, you know, like they do in a lot of tourist spots / tall buildings / towers around the world.....ha ha.
311 is a Two Queen Grand Reef Villa. I think if they decided to add more trees and more vegetation the reef villas would be private enough from the main path.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 2:40 pm

Good news and bad news?

The bad first. At least it might be bad. Accoding to the promo video, there are a lot of buildings in the area opposite 311 - 321. Check out the areas circled in red with question marks:

And the corresponding areas circled on the map in red. Note the red arrow designates the viewing angle of the promo video screencap:

On the map it looks like there is foilage and trees in that area but on the other hand what are the small white dots in between the foilage? Are there structures there but not shown clearly or are they just gaps between the palm trees? The bits of green jutting out onto the sand look semi-regular in shape but it's really hard to tell. OTOH, buildings are represented pretty clearly on all the other parts of the map. I suppose there might be pics of that area on Google. Can anyone confirm?

Good news. Take a look at the areas circled in blue. They appear to be over-water spa treatment rooms. ^^^ These are not shown in the promo but seem real enough. I suppose it partially makes up for the lack of over-water options - in particular dining - which are a disappointment to say the least. There's only the Chinese restaurant Li Long having a few tables out over the water.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 2:50 pm

This picture was taken in Match, and it looks like there are no beach villas being built where you circled.I emailed them and asked what they were putting there and they said the white dots are cabanas. And in front of villa 311 is a storage hut for kayaks and other water equipment.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 2:53 pm

This was taken two days ago. By @lenaheller
Old Jun 1, 2019, 5:08 pm

311 is a Two Queen Grand Reef Villa. I think if they decided to add more trees and more vegetation the reef villas would be private enough from the main path.
WorldTravl & MaldivesFreak - Wow, that is great info.
Is there a room number list for the different types? I can see how you might work out which ones are "Grand" compared to standard in the photos (bigger size), but which ones are Twin Queen or King, for example.
We are currently booked into a Twin Queen Beach Villa & the room summary says there are only two of these so it would be interesting to know where they are.
Cheers,
Gary.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by gaz1
WorldTravl & MaldivesFreak - Wow, that is great info.
Is there a room number list for the different types? I can see how you might work out which ones are "Grand" compared to standard in the photos (bigger size), but which ones are Twin Queen or King, for example.
We are currently booked into a Twin Queen Beach Villa & the room summary says there are only two of these so it would be interesting to know where they are.
Cheers,
Gary.
311 is the only twin Queen Grand Reef Villa. I was in the same position and wanted to upgrade so I shot them an email, with the map attached. And asked them if they could tell me which one was the twin Queen Grand Reef villa and they emailed back confidently saying it was 311. I hope this helps. (The upgrade costs 400 + 23.2% in March)
Old Jun 2, 2019, 3:41 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Yea I guess those villa might have problems. But the other ones look perfect. Because your overwater and a few steps from the beach, even if it's public. Its a good location not to far from breakfast and main island. The resorts just so long it would be annoying to be in the over water villas, you would need a buggy to get anywhere (Unless you want to boil into a crisp). .

What numbers are the "base" villas, i.e. the "King Beach Villa with pool" that I booked on points? If I know the numbers assigned to those units I can request a particular one or request not to be in a particular one.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 3:59 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
For what it's worth, this property is now officially listed on the hilton.com list of "resorts," meaning there should be no issue with getting the $250 credit for using the Aspire card there.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by jphripjah
For what it's worth, this property is now officially listed on the hilton.com list of "resorts," meaning there should be no issue with getting the $250 credit for using the Aspire card there.
The website still has “This hotel will soon be joining the Hilton Portfolio of Brands and is presently accepting reservations for arrival July 1, 2019”. Might want to wait til they remove that if you are looking to pre-pay anything.

I am hoping it gets removed before 6/30 to take advantage of a WA AMEX credit offer.

TD
Old Jun 2, 2019, 4:49 pm

I'm a little shocked at the building density. What are the group of non-descript gray-ish buildings in the foreground?
Old Jun 2, 2019, 4:52 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by iluvdoco
I'm a little shocked at the building density. What are the group of non-descript gray-ish buildings in the foreground?
I would imagine administrative offices, living quarters and storage.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by sydneyflyer12
I would imagine administrative offices, living quarters and storage.
I don’t recall seeing those in the promo-video....

TD

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.