Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2015] DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in or near London {GBR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 21, 2015, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
This thread is for archived general discussion of Hilton HHonors Hotels in or near London, United Kingdom through 2012. For information and discussion on individual hotels, please refer to LINKS for Hilton HHonors Hotels in or near London, United Kingdom

To jump to the year in which you would like to search, please click on the desired years:
1999 | 2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014
Print Wikipost

[ARCHIVE to 2015] DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in or near London {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2012, 3:32 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Accor Gold, Flying Blue, Exec Club.
Trafalgar was great

Have just returned from the Trafalgar, and it was great, one of my best ever Hilton stays for a while.

Nice room upgrade, goodies on arrival in room, comp breakfast which was very good, great location, very friendly and very can do attitude of staff. The room wasn't a suite but was spacious and I liked it, with a large walk in shower.

I think the Trafalgar does have the edge over the Waldorf, although I have also had a couple of questionable upgrade stays at the Waldorf in the past. I look forward to returning (although I do also like a number of other London Hiltons).

I would try it!
Old Jan 19, 2012, 1:56 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Best Hilton in London to stay on points?

Planning a 5-8 night first-time tourist-visit to London; have plenty of unused Honors points and wondering which property would be best to use them at. Or if it would be better value to pay and continue to save the points for a stay elsewhere. Any comments would be welcome.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 2:17 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
One of these should point you in the right direction.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...ight-cert.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...on-london.html

As far as whether or not it's a good value, it depends on the going rate at the hotel at the time you want to stay. I've seen some that have rates that vary wildly from one day/week to the next. From what I've seen, it appears to be a good value to use points. Cash + points isn't available at the hotels I'm interested in for the dates I'm looking at, but that may also be something to look into. Search here and you'll find other discussions of point + cash bookings.

You'll also want to look at GLON awards, where you get even more value for a longer stay.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...hing-else.html

I'm doing the same search as you, so good luck! ^
Old Jan 19, 2012, 3:11 am

Thanks for responding. Been searching since posting, and now feel a bit foolish for not having done more before posting, but after an hour of reading I'm only a bit more enlightened. Sounds like Waldorf for location, but Tower Bridge might be nicest.

If anyone else deigns to comment, maybe listing some priorities would help:

1. Arriving Heathrow, departing Eurostar to Paris
2. Public trans only, good walkers, don't mind an occasional taxi
3. Interested in seeing main tourist sights and seeing city, but not in theater, high-end shopping or nightlife
4. Prefer modern accommodations, especially nice bathrooms
Old Jan 19, 2012, 7:10 am

Programs: AA Gold; Marriott Lifetime Silver; IHG Plat Amb; Hilton Diamond
I just returned from a fantastic 4nt stay at the Hilton Waldorf on Aldwych Crescent. The location was ideal for theatre-going, being 5 minutes from Covent Garden and 10 minutes from Leicester Square. I had pre-arranged an upgrade with the customer relations manager before leaving the States and was promised EL access while not being on an executive floor, as there are no twins on the executive floors. The lounge served a very good breakfast for the two days we wanted to get out early but the breakfast room is quite lovely so we took breakfast there the last two days.

The safe didn't work n the first room we were given and we were moved to another very quickly. The second room was much nicer with a smaller bedroom and more space in the bathroom, which I tend to prefer. The gym/pool is nothing to write home about. Be careful about using the phone; a 3-4 minute call set us back 10 pounds.

Originally Posted by OverThereTooMuch
One of these should point you in the right direction.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...ight-cert.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...on-london.html

As far as whether or not it's a good value, it depends on the going rate at the hotel at the time you want to stay. I've seen some that have rates that vary wildly from one day/week to the next. From what I've seen, it appears to be a good value to use points. Cash + points isn't available at the hotels I'm interested in for the dates I'm looking at, but that may also be something to look into. Search here and you'll find other discussions of point + cash bookings.

You'll also want to look at GLON awards, where you get even more value for a longer stay.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...hing-else.html

I'm doing the same search as you, so good luck! ^
I just retruned
Old Jan 19, 2012, 5:59 pm

Programs: Delta, HH Diamond, Marriott, AA Gold
Sounds like the Tower Bridge Hilton may be a good choice for you based on your priorities.

Last summer, when planning a similar trip, I felt the same way. My mind was full of lots of facts but not really enlightened after reading all the posts. As noted, the rates tend to vary significantly based on the day and location. In the end I decided on the Tower Bridge Hilton and felt it was a good use of my points using an AXON award. I was very happy with my choice.

The Tower Bridge is a modern hotel with nicely furnished bathrooms. As a Hilton Gold member there is a good chance that you would be upgraded to the executive floor and have use of the lounge.

Arriving at Heathrow there are different options to get to the Hotel and the tube station is a very short walk away. Whenever I travel I prefer to walk as much as possible and you will find that between walking and a tube pass you will have no problem seeing the tourist sites.

The hotel is not in the theater district, near high-end shopping and there is not a lot of nightlife around the hotel. But there are enough restaurants / pubs nearby.

Good luck.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 1:28 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG DIamond
Personally big fan of the Tower Bridge property, and matches a lot of your requirements. It's my usual choice on pleasure, and infact have booked up some nights for February, some cash; some using Q4 certs.

Other option I would recommend (particularly if you're aware of the points back promotion which I think has to be booked by the end of this month) is the Park Lane property. Prices range from £160-£300 a night (plus tax), however; you can book points and cash @ 25k points plus £52 (+tax) a night. With the points back promotion that's only 17k plus £61ish a night.

Tower Bridge also does that same cash + points rate, but it's not always available and the rooms are considerably cheaper on weekends anyway so may not be worth it.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 8:23 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, WN RR
We really like Paddington, mostly because it's right on top of several Tube lines - so there's an alternative if one of them is closed, always a real possibility given London's construction, strikes and whatnot. Also, food, grocery and services are right there.

You can take HEX straight there, which is great if you've been on a redeye and are ready for bed.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Tower Bridge is my own favourite. Waldorf has been known to be stingy on upgrades. Haven't stayed at Paddington or Park Lane (both are on my list though).
Old Jan 22, 2012, 2:39 pm

Programs: BA, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton
The London Hilton at Park Lane has an excellent location and brilliant view....don't know about the condition of rooms at the moment since it's been a few years since my last stay. But their upgrade on a points booking was amazing....a Mayfair Suite and Executive access and we were only Gold. Have stayed twice and their rooms are nice but average. The location is the reason for my choice. Easily walk to Fortnam and Mason's for tea, the National Gallery, Buckingham Palace if you're seeing anything there and it's so central that taxis are relatively reasonable. Hope it still is as easy with upgrades as it used to be.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 9:25 pm

I think Tower Bridge will be our first choice. I'll check the rates to decide whether to go with points or pay, or points+cash. If it is 300 pounds or higher including tax, then it is definitely points (37,500) or points+cash, if it is lower then 200 pounds, then definitely pay. In between will depend on the current promotion and exchange rate.

If we decide to mix it up, such as paying for weekend nights and using points or points+cash for other nights, I hope they can get it right. I've read about some people doing that (can't remember if it was this property or one of the other London Hiltons) and having to get their card key updated every day.

Regarding points+cash, does anyone know if that is counted as a paid stay or an award stay?

When I asked this question I assumed that there might be a definitive answer regarding the best Hilton in London to stay on points. The choice in Paris was quite clear, and if you asked me about the best in Tokyo it would be an easy answer. It seems that everyone has a different preference in London and that there is no real standout.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Points and Money Rewards count as reward stays. You generally get points on incidentals (but not the cash part of the room rate) as well as stay and night credit, but some people have had these denied.

In case you weren't already aware, London hotels quote rates excluding 20% tax, whereas most of the rest of the UK includes it.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 12:29 am

Location: LAX-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain. United 1K! Other
Programs: RCC,HHonors Diamond,HGVC Elite,SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond,Nat'l Emerald Exec Elite, Disney Premier Pass
I just returned from a 4 night stay at the Trafalgar London and loved it. I booked a 25K+£52/night rate (note the cash portion does not included taxes, which are added). I also used a Q4 free night certificate for the last night (and I had to put in a DSR because the property was sold out, but it was confirmed in 12 hrs ^).

It's a very well run hotel, the location can't be beat: right on Trafalgar Square. I walked to Convent Garden, Leicester Square, Picadilly Circus, and home from the Palladium in the heart of Oxford Street--and never spent more than 15 minutes walking (I did take the tube up to the theater as I was running a wee bit late).

The breakfast was great, a buffet on weekends and off the menu other days. Anything I wanted was brought out; I never even saw a bill. The breakfast restaurant is in the basement.

It is an old building (most of London is!), so the rooms have high ceilings and smallish windows... but a decent size. I was upgraded to a Deluxe with the step-up seating area near the windows. Many amenities I wasn't expecting like a Nespresso machine in addition to the standard hot water pot and tea bags. Also biscuits (delicious packaged shortbread cookies in great flavors like Rhubarb & Ginger or Lemon Curd) were left by the tea and coffee station and replaced everyday. Water bottles were replaced everyday: two in the bathroom and two bedside each evening. Bath amenities are from Temple Spa (made in England) and wonderful in so many varieties not seen anywhere else ("soothing foot gel and hand gel"). My favorite was a little bottle of Massage Oil cleverly left by the bedside at evening turndown. ^

I had no issues with housekeeping or any other services, which I consider quite a feat in itself at any hotel these days. I was even left undisturbed with the DND on the door up to my 2p late checkout on my last day.

It's funny how one great stay can revive your faith in an entire chain. I may keep my Diamond membership after all.

Note: this was January 7-11, 2012... the new suite upgrade benefit for Diamonds had not been discussed yet.

Oh... and as a bonus I earned a stay credit plus the Q1 bonuses (1K/night + 5K for the weekend stay) AND I received a rebate of 22,500 points from the 30% points back promo!

Last edited by JonathanIT; Jan 23, 2012 at 12:42 am Reason: Added bonus point info
Old Jan 23, 2012, 12:34 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
Do not forget DoubleTree Tower Hill - I wrote about it in a sticky chain (above) discussing hotels to leave or join Hilton-chains.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 11:13 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

any recent experiences.. 23 hour layover in London and thinking about a hotel in town but with quick access to the HEX...

FDw

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.