Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2015] DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in or near London {GBR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 21, 2015, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
This thread is for archived general discussion of Hilton HHonors Hotels in or near London, United Kingdom through 2012. For information and discussion on individual hotels, please refer to LINKS for Hilton HHonors Hotels in or near London, United Kingdom

To jump to the year in which you would like to search, please click on the desired years:
1999 | 2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014
Print Wikipost

[ARCHIVE to 2015] DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in or near London {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2012, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by BearX220
Nobody's going to read this opus, including the hotel(s) you are mad at. What does it say?
i read it....

the hotel is definitely at fault here....but i really don't expect them to do anything about it....
Old Feb 11, 2012, 11:28 am

Programs: HH Diamond
The only Waldorf in London now is Syon Park which I believe is not near anything resembling nightlife. London is an easy city to commute so if it was me I'd go with whichever has the most reasonable room rate and hop on the tube if need be.

I always tend to lean towards Kensington as a happy compromise.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Comprehended version:
Originally Posted by Monkey & Minkey
I have an e-mail dated 8th June 2011 wherein Hilton “verified” that they “are at fault”.

On 15th October 2010 I made a reservation for 2 nts for 3/4 August 2012 at the Courthouse Doubletree Hotel London. Confirmed with an Amex Card.

On 11th April 2011 I applied for tickets to the Olympics for events over the weekend for which I now had a confirmed reservation.

... the hotel GM stated “the credit card we had on file was not valid nor could the numbers be viewed”. He then stated that “when the reservation was cancelled an e-mail is generated automatically”.
This is tough luck for you, but using a Credit/debit Card with expiry date before your planned stay is a major risk. You don't state what communication has been between your reservation and cancelling e-mail. It's unusual to see cancelling without previous notice...
Old Feb 11, 2012, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by onobond
This is tough luck for you, but using a Credit/debit Card with expiry date before your planned stay is a major risk.
not if you update the card details before the old one expires & specially before the hotel has a chance to charge your card....
Old Feb 11, 2012, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can't believe someone would defend hilton in this situation - what they did (if indeed this happened as described) is absolutely outrageous.

I think OP rushed to mention legal options though - quite possibly you are stuck now with hiring an attorney to deal with this. Is there an option of small claims court for you to recover the costs of alternative accommodations or nonrefundable trip expenses?
Old Feb 11, 2012, 12:32 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: TK Gold, M&M FTL, QR Gold, HH Diamond, PCR Platinum
I am not trying to defend Hilton here, but I think they were very reasonable in dealing with the issue:
- 10k HH points for your trouble
- 2 BMG certificates, valid at any HH hotel worldwide

As this is now extraordinary demand, not sure how the Diamond Desk or any Claims Court be able to help you further...
Old Feb 11, 2012, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CAlex
As this is now extraordinary demand, not sure how the Diamond Desk or any Claims Court be able to help you further...
they knew it was going to be extraordinary demand when they first allowed the reservation to be made....
Old Feb 11, 2012, 1:12 pm

Stayed at the Paddington Hilton last week, lots of bars and restaurants around, and travellcouldn't be eaiser .
Old Feb 11, 2012, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Monkey & Minkey
Apologies to all for the lengthy first post... If anyone wants to suggest what to omit then I would be happy to edit it down further.
Sure. Here's how one would phrase a sharp, succinct letter to someone in a position to cut some ice for you. Advice: sum up your complaint in the first sentence.

----------------

Dear Sir or Madam:

I am upset over the unexplained cancellation of a long-standing confirmed booking for the Olympics period at the Courthouse Doubletree London. I made the reservation back in October 2010 but noticed it missing in May 2011. Contact with the property elicited an admission that the booking had been wrongly pulled, a consolation award of 10,000 points, and a promise to find me alternate accommodation in London, but nothing has happened and now the Olympics are six short months away. Hotel management has fallen silent. Legal advice leads me to regard their performance as breach of contract and it will result in significant loss of future Hilton bookings barring satisfactory response, which I trust you will initiate upon receipt of this letter. Please ring me on XXX-XXX to resolve.

Yours

/s/ Monkey & Minkey

-----------------

See? That's all you need. Such a fuss.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 3:23 pm

I wonder if they bumped a bunch of res when this company asked to book the whole hotel.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 4:37 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Keyser
they knew it was going to be extraordinary demand when they first allowed the reservation to be made....
Exactly. It is the hotel's fault and they are responsible to make OP whole.

To the other responses blaming the OP for not being more proactive and make additional reservations. Have you ever tried booking hotels during an Olympics?

Yes the post was long, but I understood exactly what happened, and I would be more than pissed if this happened to me.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 4:59 pm

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
Just an FYI that threatening with legal action, if you don't really mean it which you didn't in this case, is akin to shooting yourself in the foot.

As soon as you mention "legal action" the GM is probably required by his/her employers to refer your case to their counsel and let them handle it from then on so it's not surprising the communication stopped from that point on.

The hotel does seem to be in the wrong and frankly I'm surprised Hilton corporate didn't step in themselves to try to resolve this directly and then deal with the hotel internally specially as it seems they were quite responsive in the beginning.

At the end though, I don't think this is any different than basically 'walking' the guest at an over-sold situation.

Good luck OP.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 5:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold, CAM Card
Originally Posted by BearX220
A little off the beaten track, but the Hilton Islington (Angel Tube) is in a nice neighborhood with lots of good pubs and restaurants.
Agreed! It's a reasonable Hilton and the neighborhood is outstanding. The Bull, just a few blocks north on Upper Street, is where I go during my annual London visit for decent beer and grub. There are many, many other pubs and restaurants of many nationalities in the area around the hotel, all within an easy walk.

Last edited by jefftiger; Feb 12, 2012 at 6:52 am
Old Feb 12, 2012, 7:27 am

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott Plat, HH gold, Avis/Hertz Pres
How about London green park hotel? Anything around it?
Old Feb 12, 2012, 8:18 am

Location: Since the BoSox and ChiSox won it, now it is the Cubs turn to take the Series. Go Cubs Go!
I would second the remarks about the Trafalgar or Doubletree Courthouse, but do also consider the Hilton Park Lane which borders both Mayfair and Kensington.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.