Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2015] DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in or near London {GBR}

Old Mar 21, 2015, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
This thread is for archived general discussion of Hilton HHonors Hotels in or near London, United Kingdom through 2012. For information and discussion on individual hotels, please refer to LINKS for Hilton HHonors Hotels in or near London, United Kingdom

To jump to the year in which you would like to search, please click on the desired years:
1999 | 2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014
Print Wikipost

[ARCHIVE to 2015] DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in or near London {GBR}

Old Jan 23, 2012, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
I have never had an issue as a Diamond getting lounge access at the Paddington or the Metropole however the Metropole Lounge is like a zoo and becomes distinctly unpleasant at breakfast and in the evening. In contrast the Paddington lounge is much nicer with a better layout.

I would opt for the Paddington, I also prefer the Paddington room, I have never had one of the smallest room types at the Paddington in multiple stays.

Service Levels at the Paddington are not the greatest (although the lounge staff are very good) but the the Metropole is unlikely to win any awards either.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 1:07 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Just following on from Land-of-Miles, I'm currently at Hilton Paddington.

Got the usual upgrade here for me as a Diamond, to a quiet end of corridor corner Dexlue room which is a good size. Lounge access etc is fine, with the lounge looking busy this evening without being standing room only. Water, fruit drink and a selection of shortbread are the welcome gift today. The room is a bit tired, but perfectly functional and it is nice to have the space.

Now I actually like the Metropole a lot, however the rooms in the West Tower (Deluxe and Superior rooms) are much better than the standard and Executive rooms in the main tower, along with the suites. If the decision was purely on rooms, I prefer the Deluxe / Superior rooms at the Metropole. However as mentioned previously, the lounge there is a scrum at the best of times and doesn't have a particularly good selection of food or drink.

Finally the two hotels are less than 10 minutes walk apart, but if you are coming in on the HEX, then the convenience of the Paddington hotel can't be beat. For the extra space and the lounge, I'd recommend the Paddington hotel in this case too.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 2:02 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

thanks all!

I booked a jr. suite on points at the PAddington, premium award for only 49K....

Unfortunately bc the trip is in October it didn't qualify for the 30% off...

FDW
Old Jan 23, 2012, 5:28 pm
Used to be BAWatersideGuy

Programs: BAEC Blue, El Al Matmid, Amex Plat, PP, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, CX Gold, C.Carlson Gold, Hertz/Avis
Overnight stay in/ near London for Gold

Hi all

First time poster on the hotel boards!

I have HHonors Gold status and was thinking about whisking the wife away to a hotel for a night either in London or just outside to get away from the kids and get some time for ourselves!

Any recommendations which hotel would be best value and how I could use the status to best effect?

Thanks in advance
Old Jan 23, 2012, 6:41 pm

Programs: Delta, HH Diamond, Marriott, AA Gold
There are lots of suggestions on London hotels on this forum, may a suggest using the search function.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 9:19 pm

Programs: UA, AA, HH, Priority Club
Originally Posted by BAWatersideGuy
Hi all

First time poster on the hotel boards!

I have HHonors Gold status and was thinking about whisking the wife away to a hotel for a night either in London or just outside to get away from the kids and get some time for ourselves!

Any recommendations which hotel would be best value and how I could use the status to best effect?

Thanks in advance
I like this Hilton due to the location.
http://www.hilton.co.uk/trafalgar

I also like this Hilton. In case you can't tell I like to be in the midst of everything.
http://www.parklanehilton.com/

And then there is the Hilton Met, hmm I am going to UK in a few weeks, I may have to go back here!
http://www.hiltonlondonmet.com/
Old Jan 23, 2012, 10:22 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
there are many, many threads that ask this question....

It'd be great if you did a basic search for London hotels and then come back with some specifics that we might be able to help with!
Old Jan 24, 2012, 2:34 am

I find the Paddington rail station area a rather difficult location for
traveling to other parts of London either as a tourist to West End o
National Gallery or as someone who needs to get to Holborn or City
because the tube connection is not direct from Paddington and the
Circle/District lines have infrequent trains. The other London Hiltons
are either in central London or near the much faster and better Central or
Jubilee tube lines.

Even the Canary Wharf Hilton connection is better by tube. Although,
the taxi cost late at night is high. I prefer the London Kensington
Hilton which is two blocks from the Central line and the cheap Picadilly
tube line to LHR is about as fast as the Paddington Heathrow Express
from there. The taxi to Eurostar station is fast from Kensington because
of a freeway (?).

The Kensington Hilton is near the Westfield shopping center which is
either a positive or a negative depending on family member psychology.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 3:03 am
Used to be BAWatersideGuy

Programs: BAEC Blue, El Al Matmid, Amex Plat, PP, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, CX Gold, C.Carlson Gold, Hertz/Avis
Originally Posted by squeakr
It'd be great if you did a basic search for London hotels and then come back with some specifics that we might be able to help with!
I suppose I was more asking regarding how to best utilise my gold status in booking somewhere rather than a recommendation of a specific hotel (which I am happy to research myself).
Old Jan 24, 2012, 4:38 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by sjm0028
I find the Paddington rail station area a rather difficult location for
traveling to other parts of London either as a tourist to West End o
National Gallery
or as someone who needs to get to Holborn or City
because the tube connection is not direct from Paddington and the
Circle/District lines have infrequent trains.
The West End and National Gallery are both directly in reach from Paddington. The Bakerloo line goes direct to Oxford Circus, Piccadilly Circus and Charing Cross which gives easy access to both.

Originally Posted by sjm0028
I prefer the London Kensington
Hilton which is two blocks from the Central line and the cheap Picadilly
tube line to LHR is about as fast as the Paddington Heathrow Express
from there.
The Kensington hotel is a good property, but less convenient than Paddington as a travel option. Not sure where you have got your travel times from, but the Heathrow Express takes 15 minutes to Heathrow. The Piccadilly line is not in easy reach of the hotel and would require a change of train to get to it. Even then, from Hammersmith station it is 30+ minutes, plus the travel time from the Hilton to get there. From the Paddington hotel you walk out of the door straight in to the station.

I agree about the Canary Wharf hotel. It is a lot more convenient to get in to London than people might think, as well as being a good property, especially at weekends when rates are low.

Last edited by RAPC; Jan 24, 2012 at 4:49 am
Old Jan 24, 2012, 5:10 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest, BT Exec
About original question, I would choose Metropol. A few hundred yards walk is not too bad. Service has been more attentive there and upgrades for a mere HHG do occur almost every time. In Paddington they seem to be reserving those for Ds only.

When considering steeply priced Canary Wharf, there is now another option DoubleTree Tower Hill within easy reach (HEX / circle/central line) or DLR. And the taxi will not cost fortunes either (when returning at early hours).
Old Jan 24, 2012, 8:41 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
Originally Posted by BAWatersideGuy
I suppose I was more asking regarding how to best utilise my gold status in booking somewhere rather than a recommendation of a specific hotel (which I am happy to research myself).
The info you seek is also in those other threads. Including things like which ones have a decent breakfast, where the lounges are good/too small, etc.

Off the top of my head (I've been browsing those threads over the last few weeks), I believe you can typically expect an upgraded room at pretty much all properties (assuming they aren't fully booked).
Old Jan 24, 2012, 10:04 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
I just returned from a Hilton stay at Hilton Dartford for a very low price of 17,000 points per night. Excellent hotel, but the hotel is on M25, atleast 20 to 25 miles east of London. You would need a car to access this hotel, but there are trains from Dartford to London. However this is not convenient if you are visiting London.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by divemistressofthedark
We really like Paddington, mostly because it's right on top of several Tube lines - so there's an alternative if one of them is closed, always a real possibility given London's construction, strikes and whatnot. Also, food, grocery and services are right there.

You can take HEX straight there, which is great if you've been on a redeye and are ready for bed.
I tried Paddington recently and I liked it very much. One thing that I haven't seen mentioned on Flyertalk is that the after hours nightclub at this hotel is really hot on the weekends. I was there on a Saturday night recently and there was quite a line to get in. Except as a hotel guest I was able to bypass the queue. ^

I've also tried the nearby Indigo hotel and I agree that the neighborhood is pretty nice. I've reserved there for the Olympics too.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by hyho61
I just returned from a Hilton stay at Hilton Dartford for a very low price of 17,000 points per night. Excellent hotel, but the hotel is on M25, atleast 20 to 25 miles east of London. You would need a car to access this hotel, but there are trains from Dartford to London.
You actually don't: it's walkable from Stone Crossing station and I believe is near the Fastrack bus route from Dartford to Bluewater.

Great if you want to stretch the pounds or points (and superb food and service), not so much if you want to spend most of your time in London.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.