Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2015] DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in or near London {GBR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 21, 2015, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
This thread is for archived general discussion of Hilton HHonors Hotels in or near London, United Kingdom through 2012. For information and discussion on individual hotels, please refer to LINKS for Hilton HHonors Hotels in or near London, United Kingdom

To jump to the year in which you would like to search, please click on the desired years:
1999 | 2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014
Print Wikipost

[ARCHIVE to 2015] DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in or near London {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2011, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by shoelessj
Being thoroughly unfamiliar with London I don't believe there is much you can walk to even from Waldorf. We are just looking to do general sightseeing.
Any advice and comments on this property would be appreciated.
Within easy walking distance of the Waldorf, you will find:
  • Covent Garden
  • Leichester Square
  • Trafalgar Square
  • The Strand
  • Westminster Abbey
  • The London Eye
  • Houses of Parliament
  • The Theater District
Beyond those things, I think I would use the busses or the tube. Both are quite easy to use.

Your Eurostar should arrive at St. Pancras Station. This is closer to the Waldorf than it is to Paddington.

Last edited by gemac; Dec 18, 2011 at 9:52 pm
Old Dec 19, 2011, 1:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG DIamond
If you're looking to use points, then the Park lane does a very good points and cash rate which is eligable for the 30% points back promotion.

Paddington is very convenient for getting to Heathrow, but further from the sights. As much as I'd recommend other hotels in terms of sightseeing location, personally with a morning flight as you mention - I'd rather the reduced hassle for getting to LHR which Paddington provides.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 5:57 am

Thanks greatly for all the helpful information. Should have looked more carefully at a map but I thought the Paddington station and St. Pancras were closer to each other. Will probably stick with Waldorf because of location despite uneven reviews. I had also been attracted to Bentley but ruled that out primarily because of location and no EL. Property that really intrigued me was the Marriott St.Pancras which has recently opened and looks spectacular,
although this seemed like a not particularly good 'sightseeing' location and I was burning up most of my Marriott points earlier in Paris.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 11:12 am

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Executive Lounge at new Doubletrees in London?

These ex-Mint properties seem to be rated very highly, but I need more information on the benefits and upgrades provided to Diamonds. Do any of them have Executive Lounges, if so which ones? Are decent upgrades normally provided? How are the breakfasts?

Thanks!
Old Dec 28, 2011, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by Materdei
Hi Shoeless,

I spend about two months per year in London on business. I don't stay at the Waldorf because my office is at Canary Wharf but I've heard good things about it.

I went to Brussels on the Eurostar just last weekend. The Eurostar will arrive at St. Pancras station which is closer to the Waldorf than the Paddington station.

The Waldorf is very near the Temple underground (tube) station. You're in luck. Temple is on the Circle line which goes to both St. Pancras and to Paddington.

Getting to LHR from the hotel is a relatively simple matter. You have two good options.

Option 1 - The Heathrow Express.

You take the Heathrow Express from Paddington, it runs every 15 minutes or so. No need to make reservations or purchase tickets in advance. You can buy them at the station or from the ticket checker onboard. However, buying onboard will cost you an extra five pounds per person (23 vs 18 pounds). The express takes about 20 minutes.

Option 2 - Piccadilly Line.

The Covent Garden tube station is also very near the Waldorf. From there you can take the Piccadilly Line all the way to Heathrow. The piccadilly trip takes about 45 minutes. Cost with an Oyster card is in the 4 pound range. For two people that's a savings of about $40 dollars. Not bad for just an extra few minutes. And since you're not having to go to Paddington, you'll probably not loose any time at all.

An added benefit to the Piccadilly Line is that it has trains that go to all of the terminals. The Heathrow Express does not service Terminal 4 directly. Not sure what terminal you're taking but consider this. There is a connector that will take you to terminal 4 but that's yet more time wasted.

I mentioned an Oyster card earlier. When you get to town, purchase one for each of you at the St. Pancras/Kings Cross underground ticketing window. They are very convenient and give you cheaper fares than buying paper tickets.

Have fun!
Hey thanks again for taking time to outline this. I wasn't really considering the tube but after researching traffic times and drivers the Piccadilly line looks like a great option since it is close to the Waldorf. One more question- is there a proper place for luggage storage on the tube? We will probably have two rollers and a carry on.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 11:05 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by shoelessj
Hey thanks again for taking time to outline this. I wasn't really considering the tube but after researching traffic times and drivers the Piccadilly line looks like a great option since it is close to the Waldorf. One more question- is there a proper place for luggage storage on the tube? We will probably have two rollers and a carry on.
Yes. There is a designated place on each car near the middle door for storing luggage. No racks - just an area on the floor.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 6:02 pm

Programs: US CP, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Two things about luggage and the Tube:
1) Not all stations have escalators/elevators all the way to ground level. There is a chance you'll need to carry your bag part of the way. Typically not a huge deal, but something to keep in mind.
2) Avoid the Tube at rush hour with luggage. While its normally crowded but you'll find a spot, with luggage it can be a pain in the butt.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 6:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
My first 20 or so trips to London I struggled with full sized wheeled luggage. Finally learned my lesson. Now I only pack a non-wheeled carry on and life is good.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 6:37 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
The Waldorf is very near the Temple underground (tube) station.
Not sure if it's been mentioned on this thread, but you can get a bus to so many corners of London from the bus stops right outside The Waldorf.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/gettingaro...quad-11500.pdf

I know that riding buses is more challenging than using the tube - but it's cheaper and it gives you a view of the city.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 1:36 am

Programs: UA, AA, AS, DL, BA, HA, WN, SPG-PL, Hyatt-Dia, HH-Dia, Marr-Pl, US Mint/VR(retired)
Originally Posted by gemac
Your Eurostar should arrive at St. Pancras Station. This is closer to the Waldorf than it is to Paddington.
I arrived on the Eurostar and took a taxi from St Pancras to the Waldorf and it was inexpensive and a short drive.

For transportation to Heathrow, I have twice used the "just airports" car service
http://www.justairports.com
They have reasonable rates and take you door to door.

I liked the location of the Waldorf. Lounge staff may give you breakfast in the dining room, if you ask.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 2:02 am

Programs: BA, FB, LH; PC/IC, HH, MR
Hi Shoeless,

I spend about two months per year in London on business. I don't stay at the Waldorf because my office is at Canary Wharf but I've heard good things about it.

I went to Brussels on the Eurostar just last weekend. The Eurostar will arrive at St. Pancras station which is closer to the Waldorf than the Paddington station.

The Waldorf is very near the Temple underground (tube) station. You're in luck. Temple is on the Circle line which goes to both St. Pancras and to Paddington.

Getting to LHR from the hotel is a relatively simple matter. You have two good options.

Option 1 - The Heathrow Express.

You take the Heathrow Express from Paddington, it runs every 15 minutes or so. No need to make reservations or purchase tickets in advance. You can buy them at the station or from the ticket checker onboard. However, buying onboard will cost you an extra five pounds per person (23 vs 18 pounds). The express takes about 20 minutes.

Option 2 - Piccadilly Line.

The Covent Garden tube station is also very near the Waldorf. From there you can take the Piccadilly Line all the way to Heathrow. The piccadilly trip takes about 45 minutes. Cost with an Oyster card is in the 4 pound range. For two people that's a savings of about $40 dollars. Not bad for just an extra few minutes. And since you're not having to go to Paddington, you'll probably not loose any time at all.

An added benefit to the Piccadilly Line is that it has trains that go to all of the terminals. The Heathrow Express does not service Terminal 4 directly. Not sure what terminal you're taking but consider this. There is a connector that will take you to terminal 4 but that's yet more time wasted.

I mentioned an Oyster card earlier. When you get to town, purchase one for each of you at the St. Pancras/Kings Cross underground ticketing window. They are very convenient and give you cheaper fares than buying paper tickets.

Have fun!
Option 3 - if your time isn't quite so precious. Heathrow Connect to Paddington. It's approx half the price of Heathrow Express, but takes about twice as long to get there. A single to Paddington is £8.50 and a return is £16.50. Website says it takes approx 30 mins rather than the 15 mins HEX takes.

"you pays your money, you takes your choice"
Old Dec 29, 2011, 12:34 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by markdg
Option 3 - if your time isn't quite so precious. Heathrow Connect to Paddington. It's approx half the price of Heathrow Express, but takes about twice as long to get there. A single to Paddington is £8.50 and a return is £16.50. Website says it takes approx 30 mins rather than the 15 mins HEX takes.

"you pays your money, you takes your choice"
If you choose Heathrow Connect as a cheaper but somewhat slower way to get to The Waldorf, I recommend changing to the Underground at Ealing Broadway - District Line starts there and takes you all the way to Temple.

Some tips on this one -

Buy an Oyster card (for the underground) at Heathrow Airport - There's a machine in luggage area, which saves you having to detour to the Underground station.

Buy your Heathrow Connect ticket at the last minute - from the machines immediately at the platform level. (Sometimes there's a long wait for the next Heathrow Connect, so you might change your mind and take a Heathrow Express).

Get off the Heathrow Connect train at Ealing Broadway. Walk to the District Line Platform. (If the first train to leave is on the far platform, you will have to climb stairs to cross bridge to the other side). Touch your Oyster card against one of the yellow card readers: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/14870.aspx

Ealing Broadway is the first station on the District line, so you're guaranteed to find a seat.

If, for some reason, the District isn't working, you can take the Central Line from Ealing Broadway to Holborn - a short walk to the Waldorf. Actually .... Central Line is pretty good. No stairs to deal with at Ealing Broadway - just walk from the Heathrow Connect to the Central Line platform. (Remember to touch your oyster card on the reader).
Old Dec 30, 2011, 6:56 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, BA Gold, IHG Spire
Where to stay in London using free night cert

Hi there

I am a Diamond HHonors member and will be using a free night cert to stay in London in February. Ive narrowed my choice down to either the Waldorf, the Trafalgar or Park Lane.

Myself and my partner will be staying. Im not too bothered about location; I know London pretty well and am happy to use the tube, but am wondering which location you would recommend based on ameneties etc.

Do I still get Diamond benefits even if staying on a reward cert?

Thanks for your help
Old Dec 30, 2011, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rknight20772
Hi there

I am a Diamond HHonors member and will be using a free night cert to stay in London in February. Ive narrowed my choice down to either the Waldorf, the Trafalgar or Park Lane.

Myself and my partner will be staying. Im not too bothered about location; I know London pretty well and am happy to use the tube, but am wondering which location you would recommend based on ameneties etc.

Thanks for your help
You will not get point or stay credit, but you should receive your normal Diamond benefits. My experience has been that London Hilton hotels are very stingy with upgrades, would prefer that the better room go empty rather than upgrade a diamond into it, so you may have to press a bit to get an upgrade at any of them. My recent experience is with the Waldorf. The lounge is OK, better than U.S. lounges but not up to Asian lounges. The lounge staff will ignore you and any empty serving trays. Our rooms have been quite nice, although if you want a room that has been redecorated in the last couple of years the Waldorf probably isn't for you.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 8:11 am

Programs: Amex Plat UK, BA, Diamond HHonors
Originally Posted by rknight20772
Hi there

I am a Diamond HHonors member and will be using a free night cert to stay in London in February. I’ve narrowed my choice down to either the Waldorf, the Trafalgar or Park Lane.

Myself and my partner will be staying. Im not too bothered about location; I know London pretty well and am happy to use the tube, but am wondering which location you would recommend based on amenities etc.

Thanks for your help
Waldorf is outdated and chances of any nice upgrades are very limited. The Waldorf is however very central to Theatreland with a bus stop right outside that can get you anywhere in London. Tube is maybe a 10 min walk. Hotel lives off its reputation i think.

Park Lane - you may well get an upgrade - it depends on how busy they are - they do get a LOT of Diamonds though so you won’t really be all that special. Havent been in a room in a while so cant comment on that. Exec lounge gets busy

Trafalgar is a special hotel - there is very limited Hilton branding and the location very good - you can walk to Oxford Street for shopping and have a tube and bus stop very close by. There is also a rooftop bar which is (or at least was) a fairly exclusive place to be in town. This is a trendy hotel with nice rooms and cool stuff. You are unlikely to get anything other than a room here - they are more interested in people coming in and paying for expensive suites than someone who shows loyalty to brand that they only pretend to be part of!

You could of course try the Canary Wharf? Its only a 20 min boat ride from town (which if you don't do it everyday can be fun - you can have a beer or a coffee onboard) or a few stops on the tube and the rooms are nice - Exec Lounge not too busy with some real nice snacks and a great view of The City. I have stayed with points here twice - once got upgrade to Exec Room - once got Junior Suite (which was real nice!) Might be worth considering?

Hope this helps.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.