Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Japan {JPN}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 21, 2015, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Kiwi Flyer
Print Wikipost

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Japan {JPN}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2004, 8:56 pm
LLZ

Originally Posted by MIKESILV
A couple of things came to mind after my initial post;
a) If you plan to transfer MR to HH points do not do them directly I believe you get 1:1.3
Do MR to CO which takes a few days ( plus there is a 1K bonus for the first 5K only before 12/31, there is a code on the CO website)
Then do CO to Amtrak to HH which will give you 2:1 in the end
The above seems circuitious but can be done fairly quickly.

One problem with the Amtrak transfer though is that you can only move 25K miles per calender year out to HH but that would be perfect for you you can do 25k in Dec and another 25k in Jan totalling 100k HH points.

b) Once you have enough HH points, you need 160K for 4 days
( why not shoot for a GLONP2 which gives you 6 days for 175K) if you still not successful with HH, post on these boards and perhaps some kind Diamond Ftalker ( which could possibily include MIKESILV ) might be willing to help with an award exchange.

Good luck.

mike
All brilliant MIKESILV, which is why I love FlyerTalk....thanks for that info...I will look into all of that. Appreciate your offer too. Let me see if I can get it worked out, and if not I'll PM you and we'll see if we can work something out.
Old Dec 13, 2004, 3:41 pm

Programs: Starwoods/ Marriott Life Time Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, and HP
Hilton-Japan Trip

I am planning a 13 day trip to Japan in April 2005. Since this is our first trip to Japan, I have booked a GLONP2 for the first 6 nights at the Toyko Hilton(downtown).Any sugestions for the remaining 7 nights?
Thank you
Old Dec 13, 2004, 4:00 pm

3 words, Odawara, Odawara, and yes, Odawara. You absolutely positively must stay at the Odawara Resort and Spa. It is a fabulous hotel, one of the best hilton properties anywhere in the world. It is located about 35 minutes from Tokyo Station on the Shinkansen bullet train. You should seriously consider getting a JR Rail Pass if you plan on traveling anywhere outside of Tokyo. It is well worth the cost. You can read all about the hotel by clicking here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...hlight=odawara

If you can move your stay at the Tokyo Hilton by one night, you might also seriously consider staying at the Hilton Narita your first night in Japan since it is located just near the airport. The hotel only costs 10,000 points a night and has a very good full breakfast. The Tokyo Hilton will take you a while to get to from the airport (probably a good two hours door to door) and you might be a bit tired from your flight to then have to worry about schlepping your stuff into downtown Tokyo. That first night at the airport might make arriving much easier to deal with.

The Hilton hotels in Nagoya and Osaka are both very good and each one has a nice exec. lounge. If you go to Osaka and/or Nagoya, some side trips well worth seeing include Kyoto, Nara, and Himeji. The park in Nara is awesome and has over 1000 deer; many that will come up to you and eat out of your hand. The castle in Himeji is quite interesting. Kyoto has so many wonderful things to see it is really a shame there is not a hilton property there. It isn't far by train from Osaka though.

I can't recommend the property in Odawara highly enough. Their spa is magnificent. It also makes a good starting/ending point for a day trip through the Hakone region. That daytrip was the highlight of our time in Japan. Well worth a look-see.

Have a great trip.

Last edited by hhonorman; Dec 13, 2004 at 4:19 pm
Old Dec 13, 2004, 4:27 pm

Programs: NH-PLT/SFC, JL-JMG/JGP, SPG-PLT, HH-DIA, GP-DIA,PC/IC-P/RA,MR-GLD
Otaru in Hokkaido

Most people who come to Japan would tend to stay at only big cities such as Tokyo, Osaka and Nagoya. What about visiting Hokkiado for a couple of nights? There is a nice Hilton property in Otaru. And also there is a nice report about Hilton Otaru by SanDiego1K. ^
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ighlight=otaru

Last edited by yasuki; Dec 13, 2004 at 4:35 pm
Old Dec 13, 2004, 8:37 pm

You HAVE TO go to Kyoto even though there is no Hilton

If you are there for a vacation, you MUST go to Kyoto. There is Westin-Miyako, which is centrally located and the city bus will take you anywhere you want to go from there. I was born and raised in Tokyo, but still think Kyoto is better.

I've never stayed at Odawara Hilton since my brother lives nearby. The location itself is not very touristy, but you can use it as a base to visit Hakone area.

Tokyo (Shinjuku) Hilton is a walking distance to Kabukicho which is what you Westerners might think of as the quitessential Tokyo. Glitzy kitchy (sp?) neon signs, nonstop piped-in music right on the street, etc. You'll love it or hate it.
Old Dec 13, 2004, 9:36 pm

I stayed at the Hilton Narita and Osaka this fall. The Narita was fine, but seemed a little tired. Breakfast was at least $25, and I wasn't gold then, so I bought breakfast stuff elsewhere. The hhonors points at 10k is a good deal, but it's a tossup for your time with the commute in & out of Tokyo if you stay more than one night.

Osaka was very nice. We had a 7.1 earthquake while I was there (!?!) on the 20th floor. First time I've felt a building sway, and I hope the last. But, it held up, and the hotel people were very nice. It's also a good location, across from the rail station. But, not a lot to see in Osaka--I hear Kyota would be a better option.

JP
Old Dec 13, 2004, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Kyoto is only a short train ride from Osaka. I stayed at the Osaka Hilton (on a six night award stay) last year and visited Kyoto on three of the days I was there. (I also visited Himeiji with its wonderful castle; and on another day I visited Hiroshima and Miyajima Island; and I also saw a few sights in Osaka itself, notably Osaka Castle.)

The Osaka Hilton is nice, and visiting Kyoto from there is very feasible. Of course, it might be even better to stay in Kyoto itself, but it has no Hilton.
Old Dec 14, 2004, 9:06 am

Programs: Starwoods/ Marriott Life Time Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, and HP
A Big Thankyou

I would like to thank hhonorman, JP,Yoko,Yasuki and Kathy for the great information you provided me in planning this Japan trip. Your vast experience could not be match elsewere.
Look for my trip report next April.
Thank you.
360 Guy(MGW) ^
Old Dec 14, 2004, 7:50 pm

Glad to be of help. I've got some pictures from the Japan leg of my trip, including an exterior of the Hilton, at http://www.geocities.com/j379pa/Japan_Pix.html

A sub-page is from Koyasan, a center for esoteric Buddhism maybe 90 minutes out of Osaka. Over 120 Buddhist temples in this small town, half offer lodging. I stayed at one for three nights--an amazing experience!

JP
Old Jan 6, 2005, 6:52 pm

Programs: AA-EXP
Originally Posted by j379pa
Glad to be of help. I've got some pictures from the Japan leg of my trip, including an exterior of the Hilton, at http://www.geocities.com/j379pa/Japan_Pix.html

A sub-page is from Koyasan, a center for esoteric Buddhism maybe 90 minutes out of Osaka. Over 120 Buddhist temples in this small town, half offer lodging. I stayed at one for three nights--an amazing experience!

JP
The site has some beautiful places I never knew about.
And this thread spontaneously made me feel like to travel to Japan & Korea again. So a minute ago I booked a 10 peaceful-day trip to the countries. Thank you all for giving me this idea.
Old Jan 6, 2005, 8:12 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
I agree

Originally Posted by j379pa

JP

We spent 15 days in Japan last summer. The night we spent in the monastary at Koyasan was an absolute highpoint among many.....Also, if you have time, think about Takayama....and, though you get no Hilton points--a stay at a ryokan...
The monastary we stayed at was:
http://www.japaneseguesthouses.com/d...hojoshinin.htm

Here is a great site for booking the monastary and a ryokan--it is a great free service I highly recommend:
http://www.japaneseguesthouses.com
Old Jan 6, 2005, 8:42 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Autumn in Japan is "ichiban"

I know everyone is aware of the lovely Spring sakura cherry blossom days and weather in Japan - but Fall and its spectacular colours are less known, yet absolutely stunning (not to mention some matsuri festivals.) Autumn in New England, yeah, but Autumn in Japan, YEAH!

Arrive and overnight in Narita, connect next day, rested and fresh, via rail to Nikko and Lake Chuzenji-ko, then follow it south to Kyoto ( and Nara.) A web page with some links to suggestions and photos is this one.
Old Jan 10, 2005, 12:14 am

Programs: AAdv GLD(MM), QF LTS, UA MP_nada, HH Gld, SPG, GoldenCircle Jade
Tokyo award

I am looking at probably a GLON2 (i think) 6 night stay at the Hilton Tokyo. I started planning this last year and looked for availability but there was none back then. Other FTers advised availability may not be "loaded" until 2005.

Well I checked again today and nothing!!! I am looking at early-mid July.

I did a quick search and found some posts suggesting that only Diamonds can get awards at this hotel. Is that true? The posts also indicated that some Diamonds may want to swap some certificates. How does that work? Is anyone interested/able to help?

Thanks.
Old Jan 10, 2005, 3:05 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Hilton Silver
I wanted to stay for 5 nights useing points last April but was only able to get 2 nights on points - the weekend - mixed with 3 pay nights. As a gold I was upgraded to the executive floor and had use of the (very good) lounge.
Old Jan 10, 2005, 8:41 am

Programs: DL PM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
I got my award booked for an April stay in December at the Shinjuku Hilton - it could just be that summer is worse for the award stays.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.