Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Japan {JPN}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 21, 2015, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Kiwi Flyer
Print Wikipost

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Japan {JPN}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2001, 9:09 am

Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime ExecPlat, LH HON Circle, SQ PPS Solitaire, Hyatt Courtesy Card
Thanks for all the replies & help. Between this forum & the Hyatt forum, I'm amazed at the helpfulness of the FT'ers.

Our stay is in Feb, so we are not eligible for the Hilton 26,000 yen coupon rate and thus we will choose a regency club room at the Century Hyatt for 24,000 (versus 22,000 for a non-regency club room there).

I really appreciate everyone's advice. We will definitely take the airport limo bus to the hotel. This is indeed our first time in Tokyo and I am thankful for the advice re. the difficulty of transportation! Thanks again everyone.
Old Nov 7, 2001, 1:23 pm

Location: 3A - most likey <> BKK <--> EZE; TACA 3A nobody, but GP million miler; Hilton Gold sometimes. Successfully divorced from CO PLAT.
Thanks chiangi for the great list of travel links. They proved invaluable to me. Currently I'm preparing a Trip Report regarding my ride into TYO... and on the TYO Hilton as well. For those who may be interested, the report will be posted here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum81/HTML/002279.html

Here's a review of my experience:

I discovered that after considering all the NRT to the downtown TYO Hilton options, that the Keisei LTD. Express was best for me. It is the slowest and cheapest way to get downtown, as the more expensive options are as much as triple the price and really will NOT get you there THAT much faster. Maybe 30-40 minutes faster... at the most.

Once one clears customs in Terminal Two, you will exit at either Section A or B. Turn right (if exiting A or left from B) and proceed down the arrivals hall. You will pass the Japan Information and Hotel Booths... and the Train Info Booth
will be next. You can pick up a train map here... and get a little advise along the way. You can buy a ticket here to Nippori Station for Y 1,000 on the Keisei LTD. Express, again, the least expensive option.. Or you can go downstairs and buy a ticket directly to Shijiku Station for Y 1,190. (This is the preferred option, as you then won't have to buy another ticket from Nippori to Shinjiku). Adjacent to the Train/Hotel/Info Booth is an escalator to the lower level. Once downstairs, you will then pass thru the KEISEI turnstyle and go down another escalator to the Platform. Watch the electronic sign... it will tell you when the LTD. Express is about to arrive and depart.

EXACTLY 70 minutes after departing Narita you will arrive at Nippori. Transfer to the Yamanote Line. Just follow the GREEN signs... and be sure to board heading in the right direction - toward Shinjiku.

As I recall, it was about 10 stops from Nippori to Shinjiku - roughly a 20 minute ride. Shinjiku Station is large and confusing... so just follow the WEST YELLOW EXIT signs. Once topside, look around for the KEISEI DEPARTMENT STORE. You will find the ORANGE AIRPORTER ticket booth located just next to the store. And just next to this will be BUS STOP NO. 21. The Hilton Shuttle departs from here about every 15-20 mintutes.

The entire journey to Shinjiku will take just over 1.5 hours.

I discovered that Hilton itself actually has a bus from the Hotel directly to the airport (Y 3,000). However, I discovered that this must be unpublished... as the Hilton 1-800 number will tell you that there is no Hilton service from NRT to the Hilton. Anyway, I don't know all the details about this option... you might want to e-mail the hotel directly for more info.

Regarding the KEISEI/YAMANOTE LINE into Tokyo: once you hit Shinjiku, the trains become packed. I'm not sure that I can recommend this route, if you're carrying anything more that just ONE WHEELIE!!! It would not be a good idea to be traveling with the WINNEBAGO on this line.

[This message has been edited by tvl4free (edited 11-11-2001).]
Old Nov 7, 2001, 2:03 pm
askworldtraveler

I just returned (Monday) from the Tokyo Hilton.
Location - excellent ( the Bay Hilton would be great if you wanted to be near the bay - but too removed from the action of the city)

Executive floor - staff couldn't be more helpful, and the breakfast was very good.

Price - I found a special of 29,500 yen for the two of us. Exec floor with breakfast.

I went to the Century Hyatt - and was glad I didn't stay there.... Lobby for Lobby - Hyatt seems cold, hilton felt comfortable - very personal observation.

Kinkos - in the lobby of the Hilton, and since I didn't travel with my lap top this trip, I used their computers....open 24 hours a day.... 200 yen for 15 min.

Transportation from the airport. I tried two ways.

Inbound I took the Bus from the airport - two stops made before arriving at the hilton. Too much traffic - 2 hours. comfortable...but....

Outbound - took the Narita Express. - leaves from the Sinjuku New South enterence. (bought the ticket in advance at the agency in the Hyatt lobby)
Take a taxi from the Hilton to this drop off...(ask the Club staff to write this out for the taxi driver - 660 yen cost for taxi)
Only take the hilton bus if you have little or no luggage, and know exactly how to get there....it's quite a hike from where the bus lets you off (West enterance) to the New South Enterance.

Next time I will take the train both ways - making sure I take the express that goes to the Shinjuku station.

Few thoughts:
1. Use the subways and trains - easy and not expensive compared to a taxi.

2. Go to the wholesale fish market early (4:30am) and make sure you walk to the back where the giant tunas go up for auction around 6:00am. While this is a wholesale market, if you are careful (constant movement with mini trucks) and polite - it's their place of business - it's ok to be there. Take a taxi there (about $20.00) - take the subway back to the hotel ($1.20 )

3. Hottest new toy in Japan.... DigiQ Radio Controled mini cars - just out in October - very cool - if you can find them.

4. Go to the food stalls in the basement of any of the large dept. stores - always amazing.

5. Narita security - could teach the USA how to do it.

------------------
Askworldtraveler, EXP,4 million AA miles+++

Old Nov 8, 2001, 8:32 am

Programs: a little here, a little there
I second the recommendation for the fish market. I think I saw just about everything alive from the ocean there for sale.

Tvl4free - The bus that runs directly from the Hilton to NRT is the Airport Limo that is referred to above. This is not operated by Hilton (although they can sell you tickets in the lobby), so the 800 number may not know about it. About 3000 yen and 2 hours. Longer than the trains, but IMHO the best bet, especially with luggage.
Old Nov 9, 2001, 8:49 am

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
FYI the Hilton Tokyo Bay has point strecher awards available for the following dates:
January 14-31.
February 1-8.
April 14-26.
May 12-24.
June 1-7, 9-21, 23-30.
Old Nov 9, 2001, 9:28 am
JAP

Location: Cork, Ireland. Aer Lingus (in the bin), BA Gold (woo hoo!), EBB Blue, HH Diamond, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Is the Tokyo Bay Hilton very far from the action ? Could one stay there and travel to the centre of TYO in a reasonable time ?
Old Nov 10, 2001, 9:14 am

Starting from the hotel...
5 to 10 min to the nearest train station, JR Maihama Station.
+ Another 15 to 25 min to JR Tokyo stn.
+ Another 15 to 30 min to the central Tokyo area.
Old Nov 27, 2001, 5:32 am

Programs: FL, AA, DL
Tokyo musings

Okay. I've been to Western and Eastern Europe (and Canada!) as my international travelling experience. I wanted to try something different.

Next year I was thinking about Japan, Tokyo in particular. I have enough FF miles on DL to fly BizElite to Tokyo. And at 14 hours, BizElite sounds nice to me!

I also have enough HHonors points (I'm Gold) for a week at the Tokyo Hilton. But... a week sounds awfully long. I've never stayed that long in one place while on vacation.

Anyway, I have a couple of questions:

1. Do you think it's humanly possible to coordinate the times on both a HHonors award for the hotel, and a DL BizElite ticket? I'm extremely flexible on the dates, but I fear the logistics might drive me mad. I'm hoping to get a Point Stretcher (or whatever the heck DL calls it) on my plane flight.

2. Is there stuff to do around Tokyo for a week? I like urban areas okay, I guess, though honestly crowds can drive me a little nuts at times. I like history (military and social in particular), and studying cultures. I'm not big on art. I like exploring places, hiking around, seeing things. Shopping's something I do a little but it's not my big thing. I like outdoor places, too. Oh, and Disney. And hey, do they do Iron Chef there or is that somewhere else? Anyway, I'd be going by myself -- everyone else just shudders at the 14-hour flight -- and don't speak Japanese.

3. There's Internet connections in all the Hilton rooms? I guess I'd need an adapter for the power on my laptop, but then just a standard cable into the box? I've never used hi-speed internet in the States but I assume you just plug in an ethernet connection and use DHCP, so I'd just need to worry about the power adapter. Right?

4. Is there someplace other than Tokyo that I could reach fairly easily, and might conceivably want to spend my week at? That has a Hilton, of course.

[Edited to fix general incoherencies, and add question #4.]

[This message has been edited by ebell (edited 11-27-2001).]
Old Nov 27, 2001, 7:58 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
#1. If you are flexible on dates, you should have no problem coordinating the two rewards.

#2. Yes like any major urban area there is more than enough to do for a week, but I would not recommend spending all your time in Tokyo. Day trips to city of Kamakura or Mt. Fuji area (fuji area only in Winter time when you can be assured of seeing it) are easy to do. Not speaking the language was not a problem at all IMO, just learn some Japanese basics like (thank you, hello, station, bullet train, taxi) also have your hotel concierge write down in Japanese your destination and directions, this will help any taxi driver/person who will help you.
Don't know about the Iron Chef show, let us know if you do see it, I would like to next time I'm there if possible.

3. call/email Hilton on this one.

4. Not if you want a Hilton, there are only five Hiltons in Japan (tokyo-shinjuku area, tokyo bay-disney area, Nagoya, Osaka, Otaru)
to be centrally located, IMO you should stay at the Tokyo-shinjuku area, do a search, I wrote up a report on this property and you will find plenty of other advice.
Old Nov 27, 2001, 8:23 am

Programs: Many
Agreed.

You could also consider an excursion up to Nikko, about 1.5 - 2 hrs IIRC, and if you are going to Mt Fuji, try to take in the Hakone area in general, lots of nice hot spring inns.

Old Nov 28, 2001, 1:54 am
In Memoriam

As a suggestion, go to the Itineries Board and do a search for "Narita" plenty of free, good, and ACCURATE informaiton there for you to ponder.
Old Nov 28, 2001, 5:50 pm
SST

Kamikura is an excellent day trip. To get there, there is a tourist office at the Shinjuku station, on the west side (near the Hilton) where you can get a great tour:

It's self-guided, and involves two trains. For 5,000 Yen (about $45), they give you all the train tickets, a lunch voucher (at a pretty good restaurant, too), entrance tickets to attractions, and a good booklet guiding you along each step of the way. [Good to have this booklet, as the transfer of trains was a little tricky, even for this seasoned train traveller].

The trip leaves about 9:00 am, and you can return at your leisure (but they give you pre-booked seats to get you back about 6:30).

You'll find this booth, as I say, at the west entrance of the station. A great day, seeing the Giant Buddha (an attraction since 1275 or so!) and the towns and shrines are pretty neat. Highly recommended.

That'll kill one full day. IMHO, there's MORE than enough to do in Tokyo for a week. I only had 5 days, and I could have used twice the time.
Old Nov 28, 2001, 11:40 pm

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
and as an FYI - I just used my American power cord in Japan- no problems there
Old Nov 29, 2001, 2:26 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ebell:

3. There's Internet connections in all the Hilton rooms? I guess I'd need an adapter for the power on my laptop, but then just a standard cable into the box? I've never used hi-speed internet in the States but I assume you just plug in an ethernet connection and use DHCP, so I'd just need to worry about the power adapter. Right?
</font>

ebell - I`m there at the moment, will post longer trip report but to answer your question there is free high speed access (RINKS) in all Business and Exec rooms, you just need to plug in your laptop. There is also a Kinkos where access is Y200 per 10 minutes.

News are good in terms of Gold/Diamond upgrades. Hotel is well located and one week is clearly not enough for Tokyo, so you won`t get bored!
Old Nov 29, 2001, 10:38 pm

Programs: FL, AA, DL
Lots of good information here, thanks, and I'll check out the itineraries board.

Do you really not need any top of power converter or plug adapter for plugging a laptop into power outlets in Japan?

Of course, I'm temporarily soured on international travel. Three hours in the airport waiting in lines from weather delays and an outbound trip delayed at least one day. Why can't they delay my inbound return, so I have an excuse not to return to work, ever?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.