Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Renting an Electric Vehicle / EV / Tesla from Hertz

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 7, 2023, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dayone
It is not uncommon to see an EV as the cheapest (or only) car offered by Hertz, so there will be questions. This Wikipost is currently focused on rentals in the US.

Hertz policies for recharging:
https://hertz.ltschat.com/terms-conditions/?rentaldate=2024-03-02 (change the date as you see fit)

Return the EV with the same level of battery charge as at the time of pick-up to avoid a fee. If You return the EV with less battery charge than the charge level as at the time of pick-up, You will be charged an EV Battery Recharge fee of $35.00 (non-member) / ($25.00 member).

Furthermore: "Battery charging limit on an EV should be set at 80% maximum."

Tips:
-The second clause basically allows you to pick up a car at 100% and return it at 80%. Hertz does not honor this language. Ignore the 80% bit in the terms. Or be ready to fight about it.
-The $25 "member" rate is discretionary and not hard coded; make sure to ask for it specifically or get it adjusted after the return.
-The % at pick-up is often wrong; you will want to verify it at the gate a couple of times.
-Some on here report a 5% leeway, but this is not in the terms anywhere.
-Hyundai Ioniq or the Kia equivalent will charge 4x as fast via CCS as a Chevrolet.
-The refuel fee is taxable so it will end up being about ~25% more than you might suspect. At 60 cents a kwh (Electrify America) and a $35 refuel fee ($25 + tax), the break even is 58 kwh. If you can pick up a 77 kwh battery Hyundai and run it down to 19 kwh, you should NOT recharge it.

EV types bookable with/carried by Hertz (including internal car classification group code and travel agency ACRISS code) (This list is incomplete.)
Tesla Model 3 - Group E7 - JCAE
Tesla Model 3 Long Range - Group E8 - JCAC
Tesla Model Y - Group E9 - RFAC
Polestar 2 - Group C4 - JDAE
Kira Niro EV or Chevy Bolt EUV - Group E1 - IFAC
Kia EV6 - Group L8 - SGAC
Subaru Solterra - Group L7 - SGAE
Volvo C40 - Group C3 - JFAC
Manager's EV Special - Group C6 - XXAE (location's choice of EV)
Manager's Special - Group A6 - XXAR (location's choice of any car, can include EV)
Also carried: Chevy Bolt EV (not reservable but often used as Manager's EV Special?)

Print Wikipost

Renting an Electric Vehicle / EV / Tesla from Hertz

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2024, 3:31 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Originally Posted by joeyday
Do not simply do a credit card chargeback to correct a small fee dispute with Hertz or Avis. Some of my guys have done that and then are surprised to find that when they show up to rent, they are on the Do Not Rent list. This applies to platepass charges as well. Unfortunately you have to go through the pain of correcting these charges with the car rental company's cooperation, or you will be unable to rent just when you desperately need to rent a car.
Good data point to have. Although I typically don't go back to do business with a company that screwed me to the point I did a chargeback in the first place.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old May 17, 2024, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by rylan
Yup that is a lot of the problem... and in fact the current Hertz T&Cs for EVs (at least in the US) are that you must return the car at no lower charge level that you received it, or you can be hit with a charging fee. There is no 5% grace margin per the terms so a location can technically hit you for the fee if you're just 1% low.
Hmmm...
last week at my local Hertz HLE they told me I should return within 20% of pickup level.

I guess I can't tell you if that's true or not because I returned empty and paid the $25 recharge fee. So maybe the agent was wrong.
xienon and SamirD like this.
Old May 26, 2024, 12:56 pm

Programs: SJ, SAS, DL
Hertz now has no record of an 8-day Tesla Model 3 rental at MSP, starting 13 June.

The booking confirmation doesn't exist in their system. I get error NRX136 when I try to call up the booking.

Is Hertz cancelling Tesla reservations and not notifying customers?
Auto Enthusiast and SamirD like this.
Old May 26, 2024, 2:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by jamesbrownontheroad
Of course they are, this is Hertz we're talking about. Just be thankful they won't send the police to arrest you when you don't show up to pickup your now deleted reservation.
Old May 26, 2024, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I've just rented a Tesla from Hertz in the UK. I can't figure out how to get the QR code to come up so I don't have to use the stupid plastic card in a case to open / operate the car. Does anyone know? In the US the code just comes up. I presume that it just is nt a thing here.
SamirD likes this.
Old May 30, 2024, 3:54 am

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
When I picked up my Polestar 2 at ORD it had a charging level of 14% - really? Got a different car after complaining, but why don t they charge the cars after they are returned, if they charge the previous renter the charging fee?
SamirD and m907 like this.

Last edited by Ed Size; Jun 4, 2024 at 6:23 am
Old May 30, 2024, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Ed Size
When I picked up my Polestar 2 at ORD it had a charging level of 14% - really? Got a different car after complaining, but why don t they the cars after they are returned, if they charger the previous renter the charging fee?
FWIW, I picked up a Kia Niro for my current trip from the downtown Los Angeles office about an hour before close. Car was plugged in to charge overnight but when I asked about taking an EV, the agent said I could have it if I didn't mind it having 11% SoC. I didn't, since I didn't have any concrete plans that day, and so I stopped by the EA station at Bank of America in Chinatown right after picking the car up to give it some juice.

That actually works well for me, because the family I'm visiting lives about 200 miles north of LAX, so I can charge it to 100% there and then drive it straight to the rental office without even stopping to charge, and it should arrive with just about 10% left, so it should work out perfectly.

So to each their own. That said, I do think that Hertz's EV bet would have been much more successful if they had properly installed DCFCs at their rental locations (even cheaper 25-50kW ones) and set a policy of renting cars out with 90% SoC and allowing a return down to 10% SoC with no fee. Business travelers not doing a bunch of driving would have flocked to Hertz in droves to avoid having to deal with refueling cars and saving receipts to expense.
Old May 31, 2024, 3:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Originally Posted by jackal
... That said, I do think that Hertz's EV bet would have been much more successful if they had properly installed DCFCs at their rental locations (even cheaper 25-50kW ones) and set a policy of renting cars out with 90% SoC and allowing a return down to 10% SoC with no fee. Business travelers not doing a bunch of driving would have flocked to Hertz in droves to avoid having to deal with refueling cars and saving receipts to expense.
I rented a Polestar from Sixt in Germany last week. They have a policy of allowing you to return with whatever charge level you wish -- for no fee. They did ask that I try to return it with at least 10%, thugh.
Rare, Auto Enthusiast and SamirD like this.
Old May 31, 2024, 5:40 am

Can I still take something from PC lot even when I booked Group E7 (Tesla 3 SR) or L8 (EV6)?
Price for E7 ist just $1/day more instead of F. Group C4 (Polestar) is even cheaper then FCAR.
SamirD likes this.
Old May 31, 2024, 2:25 pm

Programs: Yes
What are the current full T&Cs for EV rentals?

Poking around the Hertz website and using Google for results from Hertz.com, I see various and contradictory sets of information across the website such as: it must be returned at the same level or same level or 75%, whichever is lower.
Auto Enthusiast, SamirD and m907 like this.
Old May 31, 2024, 6:21 pm
jmw

Originally Posted by jamesbrownontheroad
Hertz now has no record of an 8-day Tesla Model 3 rental at MSP, starting 13 June.

The booking confirmation doesn't exist in their system. I get error NRX136 when I try to call up the booking.

Yep. Do not try to rent a Tesla from Hertz anymore. They rather sell the Tesla and rugpull you when you get to MSP rather than rent it out to you. If you total it, Hertz will get a lot less money. Same kind of loss even if Hertz holds onto the car for just another 60 days. It's over between Hertz and Tesla. I'm sure Hertz feels just as butthurt as every other Tesla owner who overpaid for their Tesla cars by a lot as depreciation gotten much worse. The days when you treated new Tesla cars like an appreciating asset such as real estate are long over. Dump it like a hot potato. Not worth holding on to even for 15 or 30 days.

Same thing happened to my Hertz Tesla reservation which disappeared with an error code. If you had shown up, I bet dollars to donuts they will give you one of their many unwanted Polestar 2 which is a crummy EV experience IMHO. If you really want to rent a Tesla, check out Avis/Budget instead. They are still renting Teslas for the moment but who knows how much longer before they rugpull you too because the same depreciation hurts Avis/Budget too.
Old Jun 1, 2024, 9:09 am

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Originally Posted by jackal
I do think that Hertz's EV bet would have been much more successful if they had properly installed DCFCs at their rental locations (even cheaper 25-50kW ones) and set a policy of renting cars out with 90% SoC and allowing a return down to 10% SoC with no fee. Business travelers not doing a bunch of driving would have flocked to Hertz in droves to avoid having to deal with refueling cars and saving receipts to expense.
Before Hertz had a recharge policy, it pretty much worked this was, and you're right--it was perfect for a day business trip since no fueling and no receipts saving a small chunk of time.

Flip to their new policy and it's literally the opposite--a gas car and receipt are faster to deal with.
Originally Posted by jmw
Yep. Do not try to rent a Tesla from Hertz anymore. They rather sell the Tesla and rugpull you when you get to MSP rather than rent it out to you. If you total it, Hertz will get a lot less money. Same kind of loss even if Hertz holds onto the car for just another 60 days. It's over between Hertz and Tesla. I'm sure Hertz feels just as butthurt as every other Tesla owner who overpaid for their Tesla cars by a lot as depreciation gotten much worse. The days when you treated new Tesla cars like an appreciating asset such as real estate are long over. Dump it like a hot potato. Not worth holding on to even for 15 or 30 days.

Same thing happened to my Hertz Tesla reservation which disappeared with an error code. If you had shown up, I bet dollars to donuts they will give you one of their many unwanted Polestar 2 which is a crummy EV experience IMHO. If you really want to rent a Tesla, check out Avis/Budget instead. They are still renting Teslas for the moment but who knows how much longer before they rugpull you too because the same depreciation hurts Avis/Budget too.
Teslas are now simply depreciating like any other car does from when new. Not a big deal full of drama imo. I don't think anyone ever treated these cars as some sort of appreciating asset (at least not anyone smart).
jackal, IAHtraveler and m907 like this.

Last edited by SamirD; Jun 1, 2024 at 9:09 am Reason: merge and delete
Old Jun 1, 2024, 12:25 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by SamirD
Teslas are now simply depreciating like any other car does from when new. Not a big deal full of drama imo. I don't think anyone ever treated these cars as some sort of appreciating asset (at least not anyone smart).
IMO, the two differences between Teslas and legacy brands are:
1. Tesla basically has dynamic pricing. They started with stupid high prices, to get the early adopters who were willing to pay a premium. Then as demand decreased, they madt the smart move to get pricing in-line with others to capture the others who are willing to pay similar prices to legacy brands. Those that bought before ~2H last year paid the elevated prices, then watched the sticker prices for new cars drop a ton. They were left with something that had way less value than when they bought weeks or months before. Had they waited a short bit, they could have saved thousands, sometimes tens of thousands.
2. People who were on the wait list could often buy the car new and then sell for an elevated price. For some reason (that defies all economic principles), some thought this would continue. However, as soon as the wait-list ended, why would anyone buy a re-sale vehicle at a higher price than what they could go buy a new one for?
Auto Enthusiast and SamirD like this.
Old Jun 1, 2024, 5:19 pm
jmw

Originally Posted by SamirD
Used Teslas depreciated 30% year on year as of 2024 which is a lot more than a regular new ICE car which is around 20% from new to year one. Perhaps the depreciation will revert to ICE, but I think it will take more discounting with the glut of used Tesla EVs that people don't want. That would explain why Hertz wants them gone ASAP and why I can't rent one anymore from Hertz.
Auto Enthusiast, xienon and SamirD like this.
Old Jun 3, 2024, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They are g🥲ing away ... I saw this truckload of Tesla vehicles about to drive off at LHR the other day...

Auto Enthusiast, xienon and SamirD like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.