Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Renting an Electric Vehicle / EV / Tesla from Hertz

Old Aug 7, 2023, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dayone
It is not uncommon to see an EV as the cheapest (or only) car offered by Hertz, so there will be questions. This Wikipost is currently focused on rentals in the US.

Hertz policies for recharging:
https://hertz.ltschat.com/terms-conditions/?rentaldate=2024-03-02 (change the date as you see fit)

Return the EV with the same level of battery charge as at the time of pick-up to avoid a fee. If You return the EV with less battery charge than the charge level as at the time of pick-up, You will be charged an EV Battery Recharge fee of $35.00 (non-member) / ($25.00 member).

Furthermore: "Battery charging limit on an EV should be set at 80% maximum."

Tips:
-The second clause basically allows you to pick up a car at 100% and return it at 80%. Hertz does not honor this language. Ignore the 80% bit in the terms. Or be ready to fight about it.
-The $25 "member" rate is discretionary and not hard coded; make sure to ask for it specifically or get it adjusted after the return.
-The % at pick-up is often wrong; you will want to verify it at the gate a couple of times.
-Some on here report a 5% leeway, but this is not in the terms anywhere.
-Hyundai Ioniq or the Kia equivalent will charge 4x as fast via CCS as a Chevrolet.
-The refuel fee is taxable so it will end up being about ~25% more than you might suspect. At 60 cents a kwh (Electrify America) and a $35 refuel fee ($25 + tax), the break even is 58 kwh. If you can pick up a 77 kwh battery Hyundai and run it down to 19 kwh, you should NOT recharge it.

EV types bookable with/carried by Hertz (including internal car classification group code and travel agency ACRISS code) (This list is incomplete.)
Tesla Model 3 - Group E7 - JCAE
Tesla Model 3 Long Range - Group E8 - JCAC
Tesla Model Y - Group E9 - RFAC
Polestar 2 - Group C4 - JDAE
Kira Niro EV or Chevy Bolt EUV - Group E1 - IFAC
Kia EV6 - Group L8 - SGAC
Subaru Solterra - Group L7 - SGAE
Volvo C40 - Group C3 - JFAC
Manager's EV Special - Group C6 - XXAE (location's choice of EV)
Manager's Special - Group A6 - XXAR (location's choice of any car, can include EV)
Also carried: Chevy Bolt EV (not reservable but often used as Manager's EV Special?)

Print Wikipost

Renting an Electric Vehicle / EV / Tesla from Hertz

Old Mar 4, 2024, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
How is there $9 in tax on a $35 fee? That's a rate f 25%. Was this in Seattle?!
25% is par for the course for airport rentals these days. Virtually every US airport starts with an 11.11% concession recovery fee. You only need 13.89% in combined state and local taxes (both of which often charge additional taxes for rental cars over the normal sales tax) to get to 25% (actually, you don't even need quite that much because the concession recovery fee is often taxable).

Heck, I used to work at ANC (nearly two decades ago ) and despite the state and city having zero sales tax, the total rental car tax was 29.11% (plus a few daily facility fees).
SamirD and m907 like this.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 10:54 am

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Originally Posted by jackal
25% is par for the course for airport rentals these days. Virtually every US airport starts with an 11.11% concession recovery fee. You only need 13.89% in combined state and local taxes (both of which often charge additional taxes for rental cars over the normal sales tax) to get to 25% (actually, you don't even need quite that much because the concession recovery fee is often taxable).

Heck, I used to work at ANC (nearly two decades ago ) and despite the state and city having zero sales tax, the total rental car tax was 29.11% (plus a few daily facility fees).
Interesting to know that the tax rates are this high--I've never checked in detail but will keep my eye out since 10-15% differences can make the same rental in different places seem like a rate adjustment when it could be just a tax difference.

I like that we in the US can see the breakdown of the tax rates clearly. VAT rates in other countries are so much more than the usual domestic sales taxes and it seems to be harder to see the exact rate. The one area which I wish there was more transparency in the US is on automotive fuels as those are quite high (33%+ in AL). I still remember one of our hotels in Alabama had a 22% lodging tax rate once you added up the state, county, and city taxes. It was a real sticker shock for some, but it was broken down so people knew it wasn't a bait and switch.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 9:23 am

What are EV options like at LHR these days aside from Polestar and Tesla? Im heading over end of the month and sorta looking for an Atto 3 or MG4. Something not sold in NA
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 2:40 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
Fixed the wiki.
jackal and SamirD like this.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 10:53 pm

-The second clause basically allows you to pick up a car at 100% and return it at 80%.
I ended up returning the Polestar 2 at 85% and still got charged the $25 fee. I picked up at 90%. Complained to CS after and they said its a valid charge, did not waive the fee. I even told them it would've been impossible for me to charge back to 90% if I followed their rules, they didn't care.

​​​​​​​Ironically I actually was able to charge to 90 but driving to the airport took up 5%. So stupid. Next time I'll try my hardest to return at 1% out of spite.
Old Mar 7, 2024, 3:03 pm

Programs: WN A-list Preferred and CP, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, RIP Kimpton
I have a reservation at PHX in a few days and one of the upgrade options Hertz sent me is for an AWD EV Pickup such as the Chevy Silverado.

I cant find any data points on what truck inventory Hertz has and dont know the Silverado to be available to the retail market yet. It wasnt a bookable option when I made the reservation a few weeks ago.
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2024, 9:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by WJ_Fan_147
I ended up returning the Polestar 2 at 85% and still got charged the $25 fee. I picked up at 90%. Complained to CS after and they said its a valid charge, did not waive the fee. I even told them it would've been impossible for me to charge back to 90% if I followed their rules, they didn't care.

Ironically I actually was able to charge to 90 but driving to the airport took up 5%. So stupid. Next time I'll try my hardest to return at 1% out of spite.
There's typically a 5% grace. What were the out and in charge percentages shown on the emailed receipt? (They should be listed in the "Fuel" row at the bottom.)
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 1:32 am

Originally Posted by jackal

I had a rental at BOS where the taxes and fees were higher than the rental rate.
Auto Enthusiast and SamirD like this.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 12:45 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
I may need to rent a electric SUV Kia Niro EV SUV (Chevrolet Bolt EUV or similar).

How difficult is it to find charging stations (this would be in MA, CT, NH, and/or RI)

I've told that Tesla is the gold standard for both charging stations and an app for them.

What about KIA or Chevy?

TIA
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 2:26 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I use plugshare to look at charging options in areas I might be traveling through with an EV.

https://www.plugshare.com/

You can filter by car type (to ensure adaptor/plug compatibility) and also where free vs. paid locations may be found.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 3:13 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Originally Posted by m907
I had a rental at BOS where the taxes and fees were higher than the rental rate.
How is this possible if the taxes are a percentage of the rate? Do they have some fixed fees that stack up quite a bit?
Old Mar 15, 2024, 9:52 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by WJ_Fan_147

Ironically I actually was able to charge to 90 but driving to the airport took up 5%. So stupid. Next time I'll try my hardest to return at 1% out of spite.
I need to rewrite the Wiki to reflect the fact that the 80% thing is not operative language but it won't let me edit the wiki again. This website, woof.
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
This charging level nonsense with who know what you're actually supposed to return it vs what agents say and them adding fees is exactly what will keep me from renting an EV. Not worth the trouble.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 3:03 am

FlyerTalk stopped being a dumpster fire for one day, so I fixed the wiki while I could.
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 1:32 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by mctrees02
I have a reservation at PHX in a few days and one of the upgrade options Hertz sent me is for an AWD EV Pickup such as the Chevy Silverado.

I cant find any data points on what truck inventory Hertz has and dont know the Silverado to be available to the retail market yet. It wasnt a bookable option when I made the reservation a few weeks ago.
Hertz LAX has these. Personally saw them on the lot, with one being driven by a Hertz employee, within the last two weeks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.