Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Renting an Electric Vehicle / EV / Tesla from Hertz

Old Aug 7, 2023, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dayone
It is not uncommon to see an EV as the cheapest (or only) car offered by Hertz, so there will be questions. This Wikipost is currently focused on rentals in the US.

Hertz policies for recharging:
https://hertz.ltschat.com/terms-conditions/?rentaldate=2024-03-02 (change the date as you see fit)

Return the EV with the same level of battery charge as at the time of pick-up to avoid a fee. If You return the EV with less battery charge than the charge level as at the time of pick-up, You will be charged an EV Battery Recharge fee of $35.00 (non-member) / ($25.00 member).

Furthermore: "Battery charging limit on an EV should be set at 80% maximum."

Tips:
-The second clause basically allows you to pick up a car at 100% and return it at 80%. Hertz does not honor this language. Ignore the 80% bit in the terms. Or be ready to fight about it.
-The $25 "member" rate is discretionary and not hard coded; make sure to ask for it specifically or get it adjusted after the return.
-The % at pick-up is often wrong; you will want to verify it at the gate a couple of times.
-Some on here report a 5% leeway, but this is not in the terms anywhere.
-Hyundai Ioniq or the Kia equivalent will charge 4x as fast via CCS as a Chevrolet.
-The refuel fee is taxable so it will end up being about ~25% more than you might suspect. At 60 cents a kwh (Electrify America) and a $35 refuel fee ($25 + tax), the break even is 58 kwh. If you can pick up a 77 kwh battery Hyundai and run it down to 19 kwh, you should NOT recharge it.

EV types bookable with/carried by Hertz (including internal car classification group code and travel agency ACRISS code) (This list is incomplete.)
Tesla Model 3 - Group E7 - JCAE
Tesla Model 3 Long Range - Group E8 - JCAC
Tesla Model Y - Group E9 - RFAC
Polestar 2 - Group C4 - JDAE
Kira Niro EV or Chevy Bolt EUV - Group E1 - IFAC
Kia EV6 - Group L8 - SGAC
Subaru Solterra - Group L7 - SGAE
Volvo C40 - Group C3 - JFAC
Manager's EV Special - Group C6 - XXAE (location's choice of EV)
Manager's Special - Group A6 - XXAR (location's choice of any car, can include EV)
Also carried: Chevy Bolt EV (not reservable but often used as Manager's EV Special?)

Print Wikipost

Renting an Electric Vehicle / EV / Tesla from Hertz

Old Jun 3, 2024, 9:30 am

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
IMO, the two differences between Teslas and legacy brands are:
1. Tesla basically has dynamic pricing. They started with stupid high prices, to get the early adopters who were willing to pay a premium. Then as demand decreased, they madt the smart move to get pricing in-line with others to capture the others who are willing to pay similar prices to legacy brands. Those that bought before ~2H last year paid the elevated prices, then watched the sticker prices for new cars drop a ton. They were left with something that had way less value than when they bought weeks or months before. Had they waited a short bit, they could have saved thousands, sometimes tens of thousands.
2. People who were on the wait list could often buy the car new and then sell for an elevated price. For some reason (that defies all economic principles), some thought this would continue. However, as soon as the wait-list ended, why would anyone buy a re-sale vehicle at a higher price than what they could go buy a new one for?
What a lot of people don't know is how legacy pricing works. My dad was an automotive engineer. The first run of a new model always had premium parts. The second they started to get popular, the secondary suppliers were brought in to reduce the cost and it keeps getting reduced until a new model is introduced. I saw this first hand on the 1st generation Altima. The 1993 model was released to compete with Lexus in terms of quiet and refinement, and it did. My 1995 is a reduced cost version and the 1997 models had even fillers for where door lock/unlock switches were as they eliminated even those.

Tesla kinda did the same thing except you saw the differences in the price. Our car came with homelink, the charger bundle--everything but the key fob that cars earlier to ours got. Today, the homelink and charger bundle could be valued at nearly $1000 msrp. So while the car costs less, you get less in some things (more in others). My cousin found this out first hand when he sold his when prices were high to pick up a new one--which didn't have the same premium stereo, or the charger, or a bunch of little things. Sure, it's a newer model that is slicker (I recently had the newest model 3 with me for a few hours while they replaced the front tires on ours), and the newest models are definitely a step up from the older as I was fully impressed, so there is a bit of that going on too as economies of scale kick in.

The concept of a wait-list for a car or anything that matter short of a physical line dumbfounds me. I want a Tesla Roadster, but I'm not going to waitlist for one, especially since in almost all these 'wait-list' cases, the end product differs somewhat from the original promise.

Originally Posted by jmw
Used Teslas depreciated 30% year on year as of 2024 which is a lot more than a regular new ICE car which is around 20% from new to year one. Perhaps the depreciation will revert to ICE, but I think it will take more discounting with the glut of used Tesla EVs that people don't want. That would explain why Hertz wants them gone ASAP and why I can't rent one anymore from Hertz.
I don't think this was pure depreciation as there were other factors involved such as economies of scale at the manufacturer. I've seen companies slash prices by 50% on things just by moving manufacturing to china--doesn't mean a correlated price drop is just depreciation.

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
They are g🥲ing away ... I saw this truckload of Tesla vehicles about to drive off at LHR the other day...
Can't wait to read the headlines--Hertz bought 100k Teslas, and is now selling 100k Teslas at a substantial loss. Hertz again files for bankruptcy.'
Auto Enthusiast and xienon like this.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jun 3, 2024 at 11:05 am Reason: consecutive posts merged; image removed from quote
Old Jun 6, 2024, 10:36 am

Programs: Delta Plat, Southwest RR, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC, National EE
First time EV renter. Asked if they had a MB EQB, cause I saw one in the JAX garage earlier in the day. Picked up a Polestar 2 from PHL last night at 100% SOC. Was a mix of Polestars, a Volvo compact suv, Chevy Bolt, KIA and a lone Tesla M3. Asked about just taking something from the PC lane and it would have been a $35 daily upcharge.

The return at the same SOC is plain dumb. Is no physical way I can return it at 100%. Will probably just pay the $25 to return at whatever level I return it at and not worry about charging. Not only is there not a close charger to the PHL airport, but EVs charge curve above 80% tapers off for a slower trickle charge, even when reconfiguring the vehicle settings to 100%. Even PS recommends 90% to prolong the life of the battery. Im sure some McKinsey or Bain first year associate is to blame

-
return update: Returned at ~68% SOC and wasnt charge the $25 fee. Was also offered a courtesy drop off at the terminal

Last edited by ChevyCruze; Jun 7, 2024 at 1:43 pm
Old Jun 6, 2024, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by ChevyCruze
The return at the same SOC is plain dumb.
Yep, and it's why selling off Teslas won't save Hertz due to dumb policies like this.
Old Jun 7, 2024, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by jackal
FWIW, I picked up a Kia Niro for my current trip from the downtown Los Angeles office about an hour before close. Car was plugged in to charge overnight but when I asked about taking an EV, the agent said I could have it if I didn't mind it having 11% SoC. I didn't, since I didn't have any concrete plans that day, and so I stopped by the EA station at Bank of America in Chinatown right after picking the car up to give it some juice.

That actually works well for me, because the family I'm visiting lives about 200 miles north of LAX, so I can charge it to 100% there and then drive it straight to the rental office without even stopping to charge, and it should arrive with just about 10% left, so it should work out perfectly.

So to each their own. That said, I do think that Hertz's EV bet would have been much more successful if they had properly installed DCFCs at their rental locations (even cheaper 25-50kW ones) and set a policy of renting cars out with 90% SoC and allowing a return down to 10% SoC with no fee. Business travelers not doing a bunch of driving would have flocked to Hertz in droves to avoid having to deal with refueling cars and saving receipts to expense.
FWIW, this worked out perfectly. I charged up to about 83% at the EA charger in Lost Hills, CA while getting a burrito from my favorite food truck in the area. Arrived at the Hertz rental lot in L.A. with exactly 11% SoC, so I didn't even need to detour to another charger in Burbank/Glendale/etc. (though if I had, the car was so close to empty then that adding a few percent would have only taken a couple of minutes.) A beautiful thing! I hope to never pick up an EV with over 75% SoC ever again.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2024, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by ChevyCruze
First time EV renter. Asked if they had a MB EQB, cause I saw one in the JAX garage earlier in the day. Picked up a Polestar 2 from PHL last night at 100% SOC. Was a mix of Polestars, a Volvo compact suv, Chevy Bolt, KIA and a lone Tesla M3. Asked about just taking something from the PC lane and it would have been a $35 daily upcharge.

The return at the same SOC is plain dumb. Is no physical way I can return it at 100%. Will probably just pay the $25 to return at whatever level I return it at and not worry about charging. Not only is there not a close charger to the PHL airport, but EVs charge curve above 80% tapers off for a slower trickle charge, even when reconfiguring the vehicle settings to 100%. Even PS recommends 90% to prolong the life of the battery. Im sure some McKinsey or Bain first year associate is to blame

The Hertz return policy is to return EVs with the charge level they gave the vehicle to yu at or 80%, whichever is less. I think that's pretty reasonable.
dayone and SamirD like this.
Old Jun 7, 2024, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
The Hertz return policy is to return EVs with the charge level they gave the vehicle to yu at or 80%, whichever is less. I think that's pretty reasonable.
I think that used to be the case. Recently, I have been told, and verified by rental contract, that I need to return at the same SoC (with 5% grace) to avoid recharging fee. Hence, if you pick up at 100% SoC, you need to return at 95% SoC or better.
xienon and SamirD like this.
Old Jun 7, 2024, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by TerryK
I think that used to be the case. Recently, I have been told, and verified by rental contract, that I need to return at the same SoC (with 5% grace) to avoid recharging fee. Hence, if you pick up at 100% SoC, you need to return at 95% SoC or better.
I've rented three Hertz EVs in the last 3 weeks and all of them have had the "lower of 80% or what you received the vehicle with" rule explained to me when I specifically asked. And there was no grace amount ever mentined. Had Hertz tried to get me to return with a 95% charge I'd have asked for a different vehicle because returning like that is nearly impossible to do.

SamirD likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2024, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Your scenario definitely sounds better. Nevertheless, this is what I found on Hertz.com.
ELECTRIC VEHICLE RECHARGING OPTIONS AND FEES - Renters may choose one of three electric vehicle recharging options: (1) Electric Vehicle Purchase Option (“EVPO”); (2) Electric Vehicle Service Charge (“EVCS”); or recharge the vehicle yourself. You will not be charged EVSC if you return the vehicle within 5% of the battery level at pick up. You never have to return the vehicle with over 75% battery level...........

EVPO - Electric Vehicle Charge Purchase Option means you may purchase the state of charge in the battery at the time of pick up and can return the vehicle at any level. The quoted price is based on 80% of the average battery capacity for the EVs in the car class you reserved.......

EVPO is optional. If not selected, you can return the vehicle within 5% the battery level at pick up to avoid the EV Service Charge (EVSC). If not selected and you do not adequately recharge, you will be charged based on the applicable EVSC required to recharge the vehicle to the same battery level as when you rented it. As a cost-savings benefit to You, if You drive less than 75 miles, you will be charged the lesser of the EVPO and the EVSC rate.

2. EVSC - The Electric Vehicle Service Charge will apply if you do not purchase EVPO and you do not return your vehicle within 5% of the battery level at pick up.......
You can avoid this charge by adequately recharging the vehicle prior to return as described below.

3. Recharge the Vehicle Yourself – If you do not purchase EVPO, you will not be charged EVCS so long as you return the vehicle within 5% of the battery level at pick up. If you receive a vehicle with 80% battery or greater, you are only required to return the vehicle with 75% battery.
https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/reser...TESLA&EOAG=LAX
xienon and SamirD like this.
Old Jun 7, 2024, 7:56 pm

Yet another problem about the half-baked EV rental policies at Hertz--they vary from location to location.
Old Jun 12, 2024, 7:11 pm

Programs: AA Plat
I have a few EV rentals in Europe for the summer.

When I click on the reservation it no longer shows what type of vehicle I have and on one it doesn't even have the price anymore.
Doesn't appear to even be an option any more in those locations if I look at new reservations.

Anyone experience this lately and what did you get?
SamirD likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2024, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Sounds like that location got rid of their EVs... so no idea what you will get, if anything as it sounds like they canceled your reservation but it didn't fully go away.

There are reports from others who had a Tesla reserved and Hertz just canceled their reservation with no notice, since the location got rid of them.
Auto Enthusiast and SamirD like this.

Last edited by rylan; Jun 13, 2024 at 7:02 am
Old Jun 13, 2024, 7:37 am

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by rylan
Sounds like that location got rid of their EVs... so no idea what you will get, if anything as it sounds like they canceled your reservation but it didn't fully go away.

There are reports from others who had a Tesla reserved and Hertz just canceled their reservation with no notice, since the location got rid of them.

That is what I am afraid of.
Don't want to show up and not have anything.

When I called I got a call center person who had no clue.
Is there a better number? or a President's Circle number to get a human that actually knows anything?
SamirD likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2024, 9:01 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by collidingstar
That is what I am afraid of.
Don't want to show up and not have anything.

When I called I got a call center person who had no clue.
Is there a better number? or a President's Circle number to get a human that actually knows anything?
The reservations center isn't going to know anything more than the website. They don't have access to any super-secret inside information. (And the PC line is really just regular reservations with a pseudo-priority number--they aren't a special elite team of extra-helpful people or anything.)

Your best bet is to try to call the location you're renting from directly. The phone systems are set up to make it hard for you to get in touch with someone at the renting location directly, and at larger airport locations, it can be all but impossible to talk to someone there.
Old Jun 14, 2024, 8:02 pm

Programs: SJ, SAS, DL
Originally Posted by jamesbrownontheroad
Hertz now has no record of an 8-day Tesla Model 3 rental at MSP, starting 13 June.

The booking confirmation doesn't exist in their system. I get error NRX136 when I try to call up the booking.

Is Hertz cancelling Tesla reservations and not notifying customers?
To update the story, we arrived at MSP last night and a single Tesla Model 3 was waiting for me. No other Teslas in sight; just a couple of Polestars.

However I'd forgotten that the Tesla Model 3 trunk is useless (and the trunk lid very narrow). Since we couldnt fit our luggage in, I begged for an alternative from the kind agent working in the parking ramp. No Model Y available. Since I wanted the Supercharger network more than I wanted a Tesla, I declined the offer of an alternative EV and drove out with a Volvo XC90 instead. Kudos and thanks to Hertz associate Benjamin at MSP who found a solution for us.
Auto Enthusiast and SamirD like this.

Last edited by jamesbrownontheroad; Jul 11, 2024 at 12:32 am
Old Jun 17, 2024, 4:42 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Plat, ICH Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by collidingstar
I have a few EV rentals in Europe for the summer.

When I click on the reservation it no longer shows what type of vehicle I have and on one it doesn't even have the price anymore.
Doesn't appear to even be an option any more in those locations if I look at new reservations.

Anyone experience this lately and what did you get?
I found the Hertz app and website are cr*p - it seems Hertz is half-way changing to a new layout for bookings, app uses this all the time, and website sometimes. Bookings with an EV shows fine in the old format, while the new format is completely broken. Not to mention that most of the time the app shows "we're having technical difficulties" when trying to log in.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.