Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Renting an Electric Vehicle / EV / Tesla from Hertz

Old Aug 7, 2023, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dayone
It is not uncommon to see an EV as the cheapest (or only) car offered by Hertz, so there will be questions. This Wikipost is currently focused on rentals in the US.

Hertz policies for recharging:
https://hertz.ltschat.com/terms-conditions/?rentaldate=2024-03-02 (change the date as you see fit)

Return the EV with the same level of battery charge as at the time of pick-up to avoid a fee. If You return the EV with less battery charge than the charge level as at the time of pick-up, You will be charged an EV Battery Recharge fee of $35.00 (non-member) / ($25.00 member).

Furthermore: "Battery charging limit on an EV should be set at 80% maximum."

Tips:
-The second clause basically allows you to pick up a car at 100% and return it at 80%. Hertz does not honor this language. Ignore the 80% bit in the terms. Or be ready to fight about it.
-The $25 "member" rate is discretionary and not hard coded; make sure to ask for it specifically or get it adjusted after the return.
-The % at pick-up is often wrong; you will want to verify it at the gate a couple of times.
-Some on here report a 5% leeway, but this is not in the terms anywhere.
-Hyundai Ioniq or the Kia equivalent will charge 4x as fast via CCS as a Chevrolet.
-The refuel fee is taxable so it will end up being about ~25% more than you might suspect. At 60 cents a kwh (Electrify America) and a $35 refuel fee ($25 + tax), the break even is 58 kwh. If you can pick up a 77 kwh battery Hyundai and run it down to 19 kwh, you should NOT recharge it.

EV types bookable with/carried by Hertz (including internal car classification group code and travel agency ACRISS code) (This list is incomplete.)
Tesla Model 3 - Group E7 - JCAE
Tesla Model 3 Long Range - Group E8 - JCAC
Tesla Model Y - Group E9 - RFAC
Polestar 2 - Group C4 - JDAE
Kira Niro EV or Chevy Bolt EUV - Group E1 - IFAC
Kia EV6 - Group L8 - SGAC
Subaru Solterra - Group L7 - SGAE
Volvo C40 - Group C3 - JFAC
Manager's EV Special - Group C6 - XXAE (location's choice of EV)
Manager's Special - Group A6 - XXAR (location's choice of any car, can include EV)
Also carried: Chevy Bolt EV (not reservable but often used as Manager's EV Special?)

Print Wikipost

Renting an Electric Vehicle / EV / Tesla from Hertz

Old Jun 19, 2024, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Thats normal for Hertz... their website is a total [mess], as well as their abysmal 'IT'. Never know what kind of interface or broken functionality you'll get.
Xyzzy, Auto Enthusiast and SamirD like this.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jun 24, 2024 at 7:10 pm Reason: profanity removed
Old Jun 20, 2024, 12:56 pm

Booked Group C4 (Polestar 2) at EWR, should I go with Group L8 (EV6) if I want the Kia or could I get a upgrade as PC?
And also, are the EV6 58 or 77kWh Version?
thanks
SamirD likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2024, 7:18 pm

Programs: UA Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by rundy
Booked Group C4 (Polestar 2) at EWR, should I go with Group L8 (EV6) if I want the Kia or could I get a upgrade as PC?
And also, are the EV6 58 or 77kWh Version?
thanks
Last EV6 I got was the Wind RWD 77 kWh version. I think all of Hertz's EV6 are the wind trim which only comes with the 77 kWh battery.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2024, 10:26 am

Programs: AA Plat
I went to Hertz.IT and it showed more info and wasn't broke.

Except for my Tesla Reservation which shows no costs nor any vehicle.
When I talked with the useless PC call in number they said it's up to the location on what they will do for me.
I don't even know if they will honor anything at this point which has me worried.
Especially it being a location in Europe.

I am trying to get a hold of the local location but so far have not had luck.
Anyone experience this?

SamirD likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2024, 12:43 pm

Is there any way to make an EV reservation and be confident it will stick? I've been generally successful with Hertz in the past and 100% unsuccessful at Avis. Booked an EV6 for next month at EWR and would very much like to have that and not a Chevy Traverse or whatever
Old Jun 26, 2024, 10:16 am

Programs: Yes
On a recent EV rental, the facility stated Hertz recently changed the terms and the new program is that you may opt to purchase the recharge package for $25 (Gold+ members) or you will be charged at a variable rate (which is locked-in when you rent the vehicle) to recharge the vehicle should it not be brought back with the same level of charge or 95% minimum, whichever is lower. I declined the recharge package and charged the vehicle on my own. The rate on my contract stated $12.06 / kWh.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2024, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by anteater
...........The rate on my contract stated $12.06 / kWh.
OMG! Which location was it? It seems to me that Hertz EV charging policy is location dependent.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2024, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
That $12/kWh rate is insane. I don't know why anyone would want to rent an EV from Hertz at this point with all of the issues, confusing and every changing terms, and decent chance of not having a vehicle because they're dumping them from the fleet. I see this line in the Hertz T&Cs now for EVs:

EVPO - Electric Vehicle Charge Purchase Option means you may purchase the state of charge in the battery at the time of pick up and can return the vehicle at any level. The quoted price is based on 80% of the average battery capacity for the EVs in the car class you reserved. The actual price may be lower or higher based on then-current EVPO fees at your rental location, the vehicle rented, and the battery level at the time of pick up. To calculate this fee, Hertz multiplies the kWh battery level at the time of pick up, times the per kWh rate shown on the Rental Record, which is based on average energy rates in the rental location state and a convenience fee combined.

EVSC - The Electric Vehicle Service Charge will apply if you do not purchase EVPO and you do not return your vehicle within 5% of the battery level at pick up. To calculate this fee, Hertz multiplies the difference between the battery level at pick up and the battery level at return in kWh, times the per kWh rate shown on the Rental Record, which is based on average energy rates in the rental location state and service fee combined. This rate will always be higher than our EVPO kWh rate.

Auto Enthusiast and SamirD like this.
Old Jun 26, 2024, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rylan
That $12/kWh rate is insane.................To calculate this fee, Hertz multiplies the difference between the battery level at pick up and the battery level at return in kWh, times the per kWh rate shown on the Rental Record, which is based on average energy rates in the rental location state and service fee combined.........
This is just funny. The average kWh rate in the US is around 20 cents. So this $12.06 kWh rate is $0.20 energy costs plus $11.86 service fee.
Old Jun 26, 2024, 5:20 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Originally Posted by rylan
That $12/kWh rate is insane. I don't know why anyone would want to rent an EV from Hertz at this point with all of the issues, confusing and every changing terms, and decent chance of not having a vehicle because they're dumping them from the fleet. I see this line in the Hertz T&Cs now for EVs:

EVPO - Electric Vehicle Charge Purchase Option means you may purchase the state of charge in the battery at the time of pick up and can return the vehicle at any level. The quoted price is based on 80% of the average battery capacity for the EVs in the car class you reserved. The actual price may be lower or higher based on then-current EVPO fees at your rental location, the vehicle rented, and the battery level at the time of pick up. To calculate this fee, Hertz multiplies the kWh battery level at the time of pick up, times the per kWh rate shown on the Rental Record, which is based on average energy rates in the rental location state and a convenience fee combined.

EVSC - The Electric Vehicle Service Charge will apply if you do not purchase EVPO and you do not return your vehicle within 5% of the battery level at pick up. To calculate this fee, Hertz multiplies the difference between the battery level at pick up and the battery level at return in kWh, times the per kWh rate shown on the Rental Record, which is based on average energy rates in the rental location state and service fee combined. This rate will always be higher than our EVPO kWh rate.
Wow, the complexity of this alone will scare most people away.

Originally Posted by TerryK
This is just funny. The average kWh rate in the US is around 20 cents. So this $12.06 kWh rate is $0.20 energy costs plus $11.86 service fee.
Even when it's 50 cents, $11 per kwh as a 'service fee' would probably be more net profit than from the rental itself.
rylan and Auto Enthusiast like this.

Last edited by SamirD; Jun 26, 2024 at 5:22 pm Reason: more posts
Old Jun 26, 2024, 8:13 pm

Programs: frontier Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TerryK
What a joke... I initially thought 12 cents kwh which about what we pay here but it's $12 lol.

Makes the $11 a gallon refill fee or whatever it is now for missing gas seem reasonable.
Old Jun 26, 2024, 8:28 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Originally Posted by rhwbullhead
Makes $11 a gallon seem reasonable.
Fixed it for you.
rhwbullhead likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2024, 11:01 pm

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
Same day reservation CLT for "manager's special EV". Received a Kia Niro EV with 97% charge. The destination of sorts was Shelby, NC (around a 40 minute drive); and Shelby, NC doesn't have fast chargers. I connected the car at the local grocery store for an hour one day but concluded recharging was problematic at best. Attempted to find a fast charger when returning to the airport, but determined the fast charger was in the paid airport parking. Based on the bill, I wasn't charged extra for the charge. The vehicle was returned with around 70% charge. The vehicle had 55,000 miles. Normally I wouldn't accept a rental with 55,000 miles, but the vehicle worked without issue. The vehicle did have a few dings to many, but otherwise without issue. Once I stopped worrying about charging the vehicle, I liked the vehicle.
Old Jul 9, 2024, 3:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Tried to book for a pickup at LAX - all EVs are labeled "click for quote" so there is no actual price - of course when you click, nothing happens - no price, no quote.

I guess this translates as "we don't want to rent our remaining EVs"
Old Jul 9, 2024, 12:53 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Tried to book for a pickup at LAX - all EVs are labeled "click for quote" so there is no actual price - of course when you click, nothing happens - no price, no quote.

I guess this translates as "we don't want to rent our remaining EVs"
We saw the same on Hertz.com the other day looking for an EV at MCO for next week.

Interestingly, the prices popped right up on the OTAs. A quick search via our system easily found the cheapest EV rate without needing to click through each and every search result on Hertz.com. Not sure why Hertz.com does that--it's definitely annoying.
bocastephen and Xyzzy like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.