Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Renting an Electric Vehicle / EV / Tesla from Hertz

Old Aug 7, 2023, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dayone
It is not uncommon to see an EV as the cheapest (or only) car offered by Hertz, so there will be questions. This Wikipost is currently focused on rentals in the US.

Hertz policies for recharging:
https://hertz.ltschat.com/terms-conditions/?rentaldate=2024-03-02 (change the date as you see fit)

Return the EV with the same level of battery charge as at the time of pick-up to avoid a fee. If You return the EV with less battery charge than the charge level as at the time of pick-up, You will be charged an EV Battery Recharge fee of $35.00 (non-member) / ($25.00 member).

Furthermore: "Battery charging limit on an EV should be set at 80% maximum."

Tips:
-The second clause basically allows you to pick up a car at 100% and return it at 80%. Hertz does not honor this language. Ignore the 80% bit in the terms. Or be ready to fight about it.
-The $25 "member" rate is discretionary and not hard coded; make sure to ask for it specifically or get it adjusted after the return.
-The % at pick-up is often wrong; you will want to verify it at the gate a couple of times.
-Some on here report a 5% leeway, but this is not in the terms anywhere.
-Hyundai Ioniq or the Kia equivalent will charge 4x as fast via CCS as a Chevrolet.
-The refuel fee is taxable so it will end up being about ~25% more than you might suspect. At 60 cents a kwh (Electrify America) and a $35 refuel fee ($25 + tax), the break even is 58 kwh. If you can pick up a 77 kwh battery Hyundai and run it down to 19 kwh, you should NOT recharge it.

EV types bookable with/carried by Hertz (including internal car classification group code and travel agency ACRISS code) (This list is incomplete.)
Tesla Model 3 - Group E7 - JCAE
Tesla Model 3 Long Range - Group E8 - JCAC
Tesla Model Y - Group E9 - RFAC
Polestar 2 - Group C4 - JDAE
Kira Niro EV or Chevy Bolt EUV - Group E1 - IFAC
Kia EV6 - Group L8 - SGAC
Subaru Solterra - Group L7 - SGAE
Volvo C40 - Group C3 - JFAC
Manager's EV Special - Group C6 - XXAE (location's choice of EV)
Manager's Special - Group A6 - XXAR (location's choice of any car, can include EV)
Also carried: Chevy Bolt EV (not reservable but often used as Manager's EV Special?)

Print Wikipost

Renting an Electric Vehicle / EV / Tesla from Hertz

Old Jan 12, 2024, 6:42 am

Programs: Independent
Originally Posted by EDIflyer
Pre-pickup email from Hertz for Sunday is quoting this policy - will see what they say at the time given how much they seem to keep playing with it!
I think that is one of the underlying reasons they aren't successful. The con game of charging the customer more, and customers don't trust the rental company (Hertz is not the only one), and so they avoid renting. Just say you have to return with at least a 20% charge, and I bet once the word got out about that more people would rent EVs.

I still don't understand why there is such a battle against EV charging. You would think every Starbucks, pharmacy, coffee shop, and fast food joint would be all over installing chargers.
EDIflyer and SamirD like this.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 1:38 pm

Programs: frontier Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SBYGUY
what premium? Each Tesla or Polestar Iíve rented has been cheaper than its gas equal. Hell the Model Y LR I rented in in Scotland was the same price as a compact lol

Iím picking up a Model Y tonight and itís 35$ a day..

You canít rent out quasi luxury cars for cheap to people who own Altimas and treat cars like crap. Most people are slobs and treat their cars the same
Yeah the first time I rented as Tesla last April, it was the cheapest available vehicle at Hertz in DFW. I did enjoy the car and took it out of PC at EWR a few months later. I passed on a Tesla in LAS bc I wanted mess around a convertible PC instead.

Yes, most people seem to beat on rentals. I used to as well but nowadays I really don't. I'll give performance cars I get some gas at the on ramps or do a 0-60/70 MPH test but I don't beat them up. I slow down for speed bumps etc as if it were my own car.

In my last rental I had a Challenger GT. That thing had a stuff suspension (like so stiff I wouldn't want to own one). I pulled.onto the exit ramp out of the garage and wad slowing down for speed bumps. This guy in a Mustang GT rental came flying out of another rental car agency and slid the rear out slightly and went over the speed bumps faster than I ever would. When I drove like that, I would have at least waited until I was out of the rental complex...
Xyzzy and SamirD like this.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by rhwbullhead
Yeah the first time I rented as Tesla last April, it was the cheapest available vehicle at Hertz in DFW. I did enjoy the car and took it out of PC at EWR a few months later. I passed on a Tesla in LAS bc I wanted mess around a convertible PC instead.

Yes, most people seem to beat on rentals. I used to as well but nowadays I really don't. I'll give performance cars I get some gas at the on ramps or do a 0-60/70 MPH test but I don't beat them up. I slow down for speed bumps etc as if it were my own car.

In my last rental I had a Challenger GT. That thing had a stuff suspension (like so stiff I wouldn't want to own one). I pulled.onto the exit ramp out of the garage and wad slowing down for speed bumps. This guy in a Mustang GT rental came flying out of another rental car agency and slid the rear out slightly and went over the speed bumps faster than I ever would. When I drove like that, I would have at least waited until I was out of the rental complex...
I almost did a Mustang drop top for Orlando but stuck with Tesla. Iíve had enough sunburn from drop tops when I had my SL500 lol
SamirD likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 5:58 pm

I rented a Model 3 this weekend at YUL as the app had it listed hilariously cheap. The guy at the counter said they only really get requested by Tesla owners or EV owners. They do keep 4-6 of them now that itís off season.

Drove it around 1200kms and through some snow storms. These are the best rentals you can end up with.

Dropped it off a few hours ago and the lot attendant asked how I liked it. I said it was great as always. He said he was surprised as most people are never happy with the electric cars as charging is hard and they are worried about running out of battery. I said I rent from Hertz almost exclusively because of their EV fleet.

His boss overheard us and came over asking me about my experiences. He went on to say that they are just too expensive to fix and are out of service for ages because of things like seat switches, windscreens etc. We spoke for about 5 mins and the one that sticks out is people just running them down to beyond 0, calling customer service for a tow and the cars ending up at the yard or away station, then sitting there as was the case this summer.

He said while the fleet will still be there if you want a Tesla ask for it at the counter and they might have one in the yard but it will take time to get as the higher mileage units are being sold and the fleet consolidates at ďpremiumĒ locations. Nobody wants to wait so they take what they have. He owns a Polestar 2 which was an ex Hertz car

Last edited by SBYGUY; Jan 15, 2024 at 6:04 pm
Old Jan 15, 2024, 6:39 pm

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Sadly no Tesla vehicles available for my rental at PHX (I asked and they double-checked their inventory). They had a couple of Polestar 2s but must admit didn't go for it as I don't have any US charging accounts set up and was a bit unsure what the network was like - have been caught out by many apps for other services not letting you register without a US phone number. Shame as was looking forward to it and my hotel has free Tesla destination chargers so I could have had free mileage when I was here!
Auto Enthusiast and SamirD like this.
Old Jan 20, 2024, 4:33 pm

Picked up a really nice Model 3 LR at MCO today. 4 new tires and alignment. The nicest Model 3 Iíve had from Hertz so far. 25000 miles. Also the guy at check out knew his stuff (asking if I setup the mobile key pass, checked for the cables etc) and we were joking they changed the charging policy like 5 times. He said within 5% +/- of pick up is no charge, anything under that is a 25$ fee and under 10% is 35$. We laughed and agreed just bring it back at 20%, beats sitting at a charger. Really smooth pick up at MCO and great staff

he said the problems heís seen are the interiors are falling apart. B pillar trim, dash trim, seat switches and such. If something happens just come back and switch it out for an EV6 as those are popular

Here for a few more days. We went to test out the CCS network around Orlando and it was rather good. 2 EA sites and one OUC in downtown Orlando all worked fine. Actually perfectly. I brought my CCS to NACs with me. Tbh superchargers were the cheapest per kWh by a large margin around 0.28c-0.35c kWh while the rest were around 0.45-0.50c kWh

level 2 charging at the hotel was around 0.40 kWh at the hotel and we used it once so far for a deep charge 10-100% which cost around 20$ usd for 350miles of indicate ďrangeĒ

Xyzzy, jackal, EDIflyer and 4 others like this.

Last edited by SBYGUY; Jan 27, 2024 at 10:17 am
Old Jan 27, 2024, 9:46 am

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Originally Posted by zdcatc12
Actually, just about every Kia/Hyundai, gas or electric is this way now and it is so stupid. I agree that it is more unsafe having the lights so low. When you are behind one, that isn't where you eyes shift naturally to look for brake lights!!
Yep, that's the other makes I've seen it on too. Seen some raised pick up trucks nearly plow into these on the interstate during those sudden slowdowns--scary!

Originally Posted by jackal
Interestingly, the UMCs that have come with some of my Hertz rentals have only had the 120V plug. But looking at the Mobile Connector that Tesla sells, it looks like it also comes with a NEMA 14-50 240V plug, which actually is useful. I don't know if the NEMA 14-50 plugs have gotten stolen out of my Hertz cars or if Tesla made a change to what they sell more recently.
I believe it was a change of what came with the UMC. Our Model 3 is a 2019 and the UMC that came with it came with the NEMA 14-50 adapter, but any car delivered in 2020 didn't come with it, just the 120V. Basically the whittling down process started back then, lol. The newer Model 3s don't have the homelink module ours came with either. We got like $1000 worth of stuff you have to pay for today, but our car was also more expensive compared to today so it evens out.

On my Tesla rentals were I had the UMC, it was 120V only.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jan 27, 2024 at 3:53 pm Reason: consecutive posts merged
Old Jan 27, 2024, 10:14 am

The UMC is actually pretty useless. Itís just there to say itís there. Are you really going to be using 120v charging on a holiday? Unlikely and same for 14-50 the j1772 is handy but sometimes not there. This car had two but I normally travel with my own.

in my own car I keep my charging kit in its bag and rarely use it

In Europe having the type 2 tether is way way more important
Old Jan 27, 2024, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by jamesbrownontheroad
The Tesla experience was much anticipated but ultimately disappointing. While their fans call it minimalist, to me the car felt very "bare" inside and not so luxurious. It also stank of stale and badly disguised cigarette smoke, which is something I'm going to be more sensitive to when I pick up any rental in the future. As someone unfamiliar with any car I rent, the whole touchscreen thing is a nightmare. Driving through Boston in rain at night, very tired from 15hrs of travel is the worst possible moment to try and find basic controls that really should be provided with tactile buttons.
Very interesting perspective. Thank you for sharing.

fwiw, I too hated the lack of tactile buttons on our Model 3--until I found the voice commands. Now, I can't go back to buttons.

Originally Posted by Cloudship
I still don't understand why there is such a battle against EV charging. You would think every Starbucks, pharmacy, coffee shop, and fast food joint would be all over installing chargers.
A big part of it is the expense without a real profit model. Even large scale companies like chargepoint haven't really figured it out here in the US.

His boss overheard us and came over asking me about my experiences. He went on to say that they are just too expensive to fix and are out of service for ages because of things like seat switches, windscreens etc. We spoke for about 5 mins and the one that sticks out is people just running them down to beyond 0, calling customer service for a tow and the cars ending up at the yard or away station, then sitting there as was the case this summer.
No surprise at all since the customer wasn't familiar with the product and Hertz didn't prepare for that in the least. In fact, I think Hertz jumping and buying all these Teslas for rental was a stupid stunt to just put off their demise. I don't think anyone that owns one of these would have considered them 'fleet ready' in the same way that regular cars are.

he said the problems heís seen are the interiors are falling apart. B pillar trim, dash trim, seat switches and such.
What the hell are people doing to these that they're not doing to regular cars?!?! I own 10 different cars including our Tesla and out of all of them, the Tesla is the one that has had the least issues (mainly because it needs no real regular maintenance). Many of the switches and trim mounts are the same as what's used in other cars--super strange.

In my own personal experience with my last Tesla rental which was local, it was obvious someone had completely disassembled the car and put it back together. All the trim pieces were not put back on properly (and they broke the clips), wiring was visible around the ecu, and I even found a wire hanging down under the car that was disconnected. I swapped it for a bolt as that's all they had--it did the job. If other locations are having people do this to their Teslas, then I get why they're having issues.
EDIflyer likes this.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jan 27, 2024 at 3:56 pm Reason: shortened full quote with images and merged consecutive posts
Old Jan 27, 2024, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by SamirD
No surprise at all since the customer wasn't familiar with the product and Hertz didn't prepare for that in the least. In fact, I think Hertz jumping and buying all these Teslas for rental was a stupid stunt to just put off their demise. I don't think anyone that owns one of these would have considered them 'fleet ready' in the same way that regular cars are.
to me it seems the biggest hassle for clients have been charging which in my experience here in MCO doesnít seem to be a problem but then again I know EVs. If you donít then maybe a Tesla was a better choice

fleet ready maybe for a Premium section but for mainline frontline service I donít think so. You canít be renting such cars to people who have ďmehĒ cars at home and donít give a crap about things. Basically charging a Nissan Altima or Chevy Malibu daily drive for a nearly 400hp Model 3 LR is both funny and doesnít make sense

MCO had a super nice fleet of EVs and we are seeing lots of them rented out to tourists. I almost regret not getting an EV6
Old Jan 27, 2024, 2:31 pm

The UMC is actually pretty useless. Itís just there to say itís there. Are you really going to be using 120v charging on a holiday? Unlikely and same for 14-50 the j1772 is handy but sometimes not there. This car had two but I normally travel with my own.

in my own car I keep my charging kit in its bag and rarely use it

In Europe having the type 2 tether is way way more important
I don't agree. This wasn't a rental, but we took our personal Tesla to vacation home last year and I didn't think we would be able to charge so left the UMC at home. That was a stupid move because there was a 120v outlet right by where the car was parked and we wouldn't have had to supercharge at all for our 'around town' driving as it would have charged a good chunk overnight for free.

Charging is the issue and non-issue with EVs--if you can charge where the car is regularly parked (garage, etc.), then charging is a breeze as you never really think about it (this was the case for us for the first 3 years of ownership as our apartment complexes had special 'EV spots' that you could get that included a charger and the power. So it was literally drive and park and then drive again. We never thought about charging. But now that we have to pay for the power in our own garage and the power cost is far more than charging at my office, I pay to be able to charge here while I work, but charging is something we think about more often after moving from apartments.

And this is the crux of the problem with EVs--the lack of a standard way to charge them. Either you're doing it overnight where the car is kept, or struggling to find chargers 'outside' where not only is the infrastructure poor, but it also isn't a quick 5 minute fillup. The problem with EVs will be around as long as the charging problem is around.
m907 likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2024, 2:44 pm

I don't agree. This wasn't a rental, but we took our personal Tesla to vacation home last year and I didn't think we would be able to charge so left the UMC at home. That was a stupid move because there was a 120v outlet right by where the car was parked and we wouldn't have had to supercharge at all for our 'around town' driving as it would have charged a good chunk overnight for free.

Charging is the issue and non-issue with EVs--if you can charge where the car is regularly parked (garage, etc.), then charging is a breeze as you never really think about it (this was the case for us for the first 3 years of ownership as our apartment complexes had special 'EV spots' that you could get that included a charger and the power. So it was literally drive and park and then drive again. We never thought about charging. But now that we have to pay for the power in our own garage and the power cost is far more than charging at my office, I pay to be able to charge here while I work, but charging is something we think about more often after moving from apartments.

And this is the crux of the problem with EVs--the lack of a standard way to charge them. Either you're doing it overnight where the car is kept, or struggling to find chargers 'outside' where not only is the infrastructure poor, but it also isn't a quick 5 minute fillup. The problem with EVs will be around as long as the charging problem is around.
Charging is pretty much standard now and will be in a few years. Just keep your charging equipment in the trunk or frunkÖ in my both our personal cars Iíve maybe used them a handful of times. I did manage to score a UMC with the pigtails for 150$ on marketplace

maybe Iím just tone death because where I live our charging network is so good including L2 curbside stuff

anyways I have a small YouTube channel on this stuff

jackal and SamirD like this.
Old Jan 27, 2024, 3:31 pm

Charging is pretty much standard now and will be in a few years. Just keep your charging equipment in the trunk or frunkÖ in my both our personal cars Iíve maybe used them a handful of times. I did manage to score a UMC with the pigtails for 150$ on marketplace

maybe Iím just tone death because where I live our charging network is so good including L2 curbside stuff

anyways I have a small YouTube channel on this stuff

https://youtu.be/Ii_N8fzaDW4
It's pretty much standard since everyone adopted the Tesla connector, lol. It will be a few years as you said for that to migrate down the line, but there's still only good charging in a handful of places in the US. EU has done a much better job with this.
Old Jan 27, 2024, 8:34 pm

It's pretty much standard since everyone adopted the Tesla connector, lol. It will be a few years as you said for that to migrate down the line, but there's still only good charging in a handful of places in the US. EU has done a much better job with this.
EU did a better job because they donít kick the can down the road. We will be using adapters for the next decade in some form. Forcing a standard actually via legislation pushed adoption forward.
Old Jan 28, 2024, 6:01 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Does the Hertz Tesla come fully charged?

Can't seem to find this info either here or on Hertz site, just that you have to return it with at least the same % charge as at pickup. I need to pick up a car that's fully charged so I can be on my way. It's not like stopping for gas for 5 minutes before starting your journey.
SamirD likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.