Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Renting an Electric Vehicle / EV / Tesla from Hertz

Old Aug 7, 2023, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dayone
It is not uncommon to see an EV as the cheapest (or only) car offered by Hertz, so there will be questions. This Wikipost is currently focused on rentals in the US.

Hertz policies for recharging:
https://hertz.ltschat.com/terms-conditions/?rentaldate=2024-03-02 (change the date as you see fit)

Return the EV with the same level of battery charge as at the time of pick-up to avoid a fee. If You return the EV with less battery charge than the charge level as at the time of pick-up, You will be charged an EV Battery Recharge fee of $35.00 (non-member) / ($25.00 member).

Furthermore: "Battery charging limit on an EV should be set at 80% maximum."

Tips:
-The second clause basically allows you to pick up a car at 100% and return it at 80%. Hertz does not honor this language. Ignore the 80% bit in the terms. Or be ready to fight about it.
-The $25 "member" rate is discretionary and not hard coded; make sure to ask for it specifically or get it adjusted after the return.
-The % at pick-up is often wrong; you will want to verify it at the gate a couple of times.
-Some on here report a 5% leeway, but this is not in the terms anywhere.
-Hyundai Ioniq or the Kia equivalent will charge 4x as fast via CCS as a Chevrolet.
-The refuel fee is taxable so it will end up being about ~25% more than you might suspect. At 60 cents a kwh (Electrify America) and a $35 refuel fee ($25 + tax), the break even is 58 kwh. If you can pick up a 77 kwh battery Hyundai and run it down to 19 kwh, you should NOT recharge it.

EV types bookable with/carried by Hertz (including internal car classification group code and travel agency ACRISS code) (This list is incomplete.)
Tesla Model 3 - Group E7 - JCAE
Tesla Model 3 Long Range - Group E8 - JCAC
Tesla Model Y - Group E9 - RFAC
Polestar 2 - Group C4 - JDAE
Kira Niro EV or Chevy Bolt EUV - Group E1 - IFAC
Kia EV6 - Group L8 - SGAC
Subaru Solterra - Group L7 - SGAE
Volvo C40 - Group C3 - JFAC
Manager's EV Special - Group C6 - XXAE (location's choice of EV)
Manager's Special - Group A6 - XXAR (location's choice of any car, can include EV)
Also carried: Chevy Bolt EV (not reservable but often used as Manager's EV Special?)

Print Wikipost

Renting an Electric Vehicle / EV / Tesla from Hertz

Old Jan 28, 2024, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by j3brooklyn
Can't seem to find this info either here or on Hertz site, just that you have to return it with at least the same % charge as at pickup. I need to pick up a car that's fully charged so I can be on my way. It's not like stopping for gas for 5 minutes before starting your journey.
+/- 5% of what you picked it up at. Or bring it back at any level for 25$ fee. I did this in Orlando dropped it off at 20% I picked up at 93%

25$ re charge fill
29% in Super charging

and I did a 10-100% at the hotel for 20$
SamirD likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2024, 1:10 am

Have a EV rental out right now (Polestar 2) and the latest terms and conditions for EV charging is confusing as heck.

Return the EV with the same level of battery charge as at the time of pick-up to avoid a fee. If You return the EV with less battery charge than the charge level as at the time of pick-up, You will be charged an EV Battery Recharge fee of $35.00 (non-member) / ($25.00 member). You are responsible to maintain a sufficient charge on the EV during your rental
Battery charging limit on an EV should be set at 80% maximum
I picked up a car at 90% charge and is marked on my rental agreement as such, even if I picked up at 80% charge it would be physically impossible to return the car at 80% if the max limit is 80% and still drive it to the airport. How the heck does this make any sense? What should I be returning the car at to incur no fee?

Found some old T&C's in a PDF format hosted on the hertz domain that say "same charge" or 80% (whichever is lower), in the latest T&Cs (non PDF) directly linked from the rental jacket it no longer includes the whichever is lower language.
SamirD likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2024, 4:12 am

Donít worry about the 80% set the charge limit to 100% or bring it back at 20%. I donít even bother charging before drop off anymore
SamirD likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2024, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
It's a rental. Just set the charge limit to whatever you need, charge, and return -- 🤡r don't charge at all and return and pay their fee.
SamirD likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2024, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SBYGUY
Donít worry about the 80% set the charge limit to 100% or bring it back at 20%. I donít even bother charging before drop off anymore
yup. I had a Kia, and was 84% or something at pickup - I understood at the time it needed to be back at same or more. I was calculating how much Iíd need to get it back at that - decided easiest was to set charge to 100% morning of the return - did it while I was at breakfast. Ended up back at airport at +1% of what I picked it up at - so worked out well for me. I suspect the cost was about 1/2 of what gas would have been if I had a gas model out and would have had to bring back full.

This was LA area so knew charging wouldnít be an issue with lots of options.
SamirD likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2024, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by emcampbe
yup. I had a Kia, and was 84% or something at pickup - I understood at the time it needed to be back at same or more. I was calculating how much Iíd need to get it back at that - decided easiest was to set charge to 100% morning of the return - did it while I was at breakfast. Ended up back at airport at +1% of what I picked it up at - so worked out well for me. I suspect the cost was about 1/2 of what gas would have been if I had a gas model out and would have had to bring back full.

This was LA area so knew charging wouldnít be an issue with lots of options.
I posted this to my YouTube channel. Charging at my hotel was 0.40c kWh and a charge was around 25-30$ at that price I let hertz handle it. check out was 10am but our flight 8pm so still had an entire day.

When I rent local Iíll charge up at home as I live near the airport. In MCO I got the car at 93% and wasnít asked what it was at at the booth. I could have said 60%Ö what shocked me was how cheap supe chargers are in the USA

Renting an ELECTRIC VEHICLE on VACATION: Why you should! HERTZ Tesla Model 3
Old Feb 8, 2024, 9:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Rented a Polestar at SBA this weekend.

Such a weird car. Uncomfortable thing to get into and out of, and pretty poor sightlines all around. All of the controls for climate, radio, apps, etc. were a pain to find and use. Frustratingly poor UX all around.

It was about 75% when we rented it. The agent simply said to bring it back at 70% to avoid the fee. We brought it back at 30% and paid the fee. Probably could've charged it ourselves for less but didn't bother with it since we knew we weren't going to drive it beyond the range of the initial charge.

The car was fun to drive, but everything else about it was just so strange. Maybe Volvo owners would have been familiar with the UX? If felt like you had to go through multiple screens to do simple things - even an experienced user would need to look at the screen to some extent.
Boraxo, SamirD and m907 like this.
Old Feb 13, 2024, 5:03 pm

Is the same with me and Polestar 2. Cramped interior and lousy efficiency. I rented a Polestar 2 over the weekend and was supplied with a Dual Motor Long Range. 27$ a dayÖ 70k car with 12000km on it. 400hpÖ

Had to wait almost an hour for it including the line because the Gold shed didnít have my reservation. Sent inside to stand in line then was handed the key to a Corolla. Yea not happening, manager dealt with the issue by waving the recharge fee on return and dropped a day of rental fee. Car was missing the charging kit and lot attendant wrote it on the slip.

SamirD likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2024, 3:31 pm

Background: got a Polestar 2 at 23%, returned with 30% change.

Maybe this is common sense for frequent ev renters, but I got hit by this one as a first time EV driver:

It may be necessary to show that in order to have the return agent manually remove a recharge fee at return.

I guess I should have seen this earlier as I just found a $35 recharge fee. So my best bet is just calling CS to explain the situation and hopefully hertz remove the fee?
SamirD likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2024, 4:24 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by phxh
Background: got a Polestar 2 at 23%, returned with 30% change.

Maybe this is common sense for frequent ev renters, but I got hit by this one as a first time EV driver:

I guess I should have seen this earlier as I just found a $35 recharge fee. So my best bet is just calling CS to explain the situation and hopefully hertz remove the fee?
Yes, CS should be able to refund it. It happens more often than not with my rentals so I always take photos and request the car closed out before I leave the facility.
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 5:46 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
Is the wiki at all accurate? I was given completely different rules today. I propose deleting the wiki if so.
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by stvr
Is the wiki at all accurate? I was given completely different rules today. I propose deleting the wiki if so.
Feel free to edit the wiki! The invitation is open for anyone with time/ablity to do so. I just haven't kept up on the numerous changes because I haven't rented an EV from Hertz in several months, so I don't have firsthand experience with the revised policies.
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 1:11 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
Hertzís new EV charging rules are asinine

Walk into my local shop and the only thing heís willing to give out for my midsize reservation is a Chevy Bolt EV with 95% charge. What about the Buick Encore, I ask. I am Presidents Circle. He says, no, thatís an SUV, thatís another $25/day.

I am then informed the new rule on EVs is simple: bring them back as full as you got one. Otherwise itís a $35 taxable fee, $25 if youíre Hertz elite.

The Chevy Bolt charge curve is woefully outdated. To get it from 50% to 95% on the fastest charger (Electrify America) takes around 86 minutes. No one who has the resources to rent a vehicle for $40/day should be spending an extra 80 minutes to save a couple dollars. (EA isnít free.)

After much haggling he agrees to knock down the Bolt to a more realistic 80% starting point. I end up leaving for the airport 20 minutes early to go from 70% to 80%.

then I get to ABQ and the Presidents Circle is 100% Malibu while the Gold is all Kia EV6. Clear winner. Take one with 92% charge.

This time I am not a dummy. I run the car down to nothing and then realize that I would be spending 18 minutes (these cars charge ultra fast, better than Tesla, almost as good as Lucid) and $20 at a Walmart in order to save $25 plus tax. Crazy. I return the car with 30%.

TURNS OUT Hertz is even dumber than you think. Not only did they convince me to return a low charge vehicleÖ the $25 fee is completely discretionary. I end up getting charged $35 plus $9 tax ($44 total) because the check in agent chose that fee in lieu. They havenít hard coded this. I ended up getting $10 waived off over a painful phone call but was left with a $34 EV charge fee.

All while gas is $2.19 at Smiths with grocery points.

Next time Iíll just rent a National.
SamirD and anteater like this.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 2:22 am

Programs: SPG, AA, United
TURNS OUT Hertz is even dumber than you think. Not only did they convince me to return a low charge vehicle… the $25 fee is completely discretionary. I end up getting charged $35 plus $9 tax ($44 total) because the check in agent chose that fee in lieu. They haven’t hard coded this. I ended up getting $10 waived off over a painful phone call but was left with a $34 EV charge fee.
Yep, rental car companies with EVs still have no idea what they are doing. I will only rent regular cars even though I do like the Teslas unless it makes perfect sense for my trip.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Mar 4, 2024 at 5:42 am Reason: shortened quote
Old Mar 4, 2024, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
TURNS OUT Hertz is even dumber than you think. Not only did they convince me to return a low charge vehicleÖ the $25 fee is completely discretionary. I end up getting charged $35 plus $9 tax ($44 total) because the check in agent chose that fee in lieu. They havenít hard coded this. I ended up getting $10 waived off over a painful phone call but was left with a $34 EV charge fee.
How is there $9 in tax on a $35 fee? That's a rate f 25%. Was this in Seattle?!
SamirD likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.