Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Renting an Electric Vehicle / EV / Tesla from Hertz

Old Aug 7, 2023, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dayone
It is not uncommon to see an EV as the cheapest (or only) car offered by Hertz, so there will be questions. This Wikipost is currently focused on rentals in the US.

Hertz policies for recharging:
https://hertz.ltschat.com/terms-conditions/?rentaldate=2024-03-02 (change the date as you see fit)

Return the EV with the same level of battery charge as at the time of pick-up to avoid a fee. If You return the EV with less battery charge than the charge level as at the time of pick-up, You will be charged an EV Battery Recharge fee of $35.00 (non-member) / ($25.00 member).

Furthermore: "Battery charging limit on an EV should be set at 80% maximum."

Tips:
-The second clause basically allows you to pick up a car at 100% and return it at 80%. Hertz does not honor this language. Ignore the 80% bit in the terms. Or be ready to fight about it.
-The $25 "member" rate is discretionary and not hard coded; make sure to ask for it specifically or get it adjusted after the return.
-The % at pick-up is often wrong; you will want to verify it at the gate a couple of times.
-Some on here report a 5% leeway, but this is not in the terms anywhere.
-Hyundai Ioniq or the Kia equivalent will charge 4x as fast via CCS as a Chevrolet.
-The refuel fee is taxable so it will end up being about ~25% more than you might suspect. At 60 cents a kwh (Electrify America) and a $35 refuel fee ($25 + tax), the break even is 58 kwh. If you can pick up a 77 kwh battery Hyundai and run it down to 19 kwh, you should NOT recharge it.

EV types bookable with/carried by Hertz (including internal car classification group code and travel agency ACRISS code) (This list is incomplete.)
Tesla Model 3 - Group E7 - JCAE
Tesla Model 3 Long Range - Group E8 - JCAC
Tesla Model Y - Group E9 - RFAC
Polestar 2 - Group C4 - JDAE
Kira Niro EV or Chevy Bolt EUV - Group E1 - IFAC
Kia EV6 - Group L8 - SGAC
Subaru Solterra - Group L7 - SGAE
Volvo C40 - Group C3 - JFAC
Manager's EV Special - Group C6 - XXAE (location's choice of EV)
Manager's Special - Group A6 - XXAR (location's choice of any car, can include EV)
Also carried: Chevy Bolt EV (not reservable but often used as Manager's EV Special?)

Print Wikipost

Renting an Electric Vehicle / EV / Tesla from Hertz

Old Apr 30, 2024, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by SamirD
You know who listens? Credit card companies. Chargebacks seem to be easier these days and companies seem to ignore the 'information in 72 hours' request from the cc so you get the whole rental back.
Do not simply do a credit card chargeback to correct a small fee dispute with Hertz or Avis. Some of my guys have done that and then are surprised to find that when they show up to rent, they are on the Do Not Rent list. This applies to platepass charges as well. Unfortunately you have to go through the pain of correcting these charges with the car rental company's cooperation, or you will be unable to rent just when you desperately need to rent a car.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Apr 30, 2024 at 6:34 pm Reason: fixed formatting in post
Old Apr 30, 2024, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by rylan
I would've considered that a win so you could pick whatever you wanted and not have to deal with spending hours charging an EV and getting hit with charge fees upon return for it being 2% lower than you left with... unless there was some particular reason you wanted one like to experience it for first time etc.
I have a house in Portland with an EV charger in the garage. So renting an EV is my preference as I can charge at home the night before, fly out the next morning without stopping to refuel. I normally drive a Taycan so I'm used to charging. I specifically asked about recharging at Avis since I've never received one with 100% charge. Avis said to return it at or above 70% to avoid a penalty. Charged the night before at home and had it back at 95%. Easy Peasy.
Auto Enthusiast and SamirD like this.
Old May 1, 2024, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
I've rented EVs many times and have never had to spend hours waiting to charge or been surprised with unexpected fees showing up later. I experience is always just like with rental of a gasline powered vehicle.
I'd say your experience is not the norm then, nor reflective of what Hertz is getting for feedback from renters who are actively avoiding EVs due to not wanting to deal with trying to charge the vehicle. If you aren't using a Tesla supercharger, it does take hours to recharge so you have to leave the vehicle on a charger overnight... hence the negative pushback from Hertz customers especially business travelers and the reason why Hertz is abandoning their EV fleet plans and divesting of the vehicles.
Last thing I want to do on a business trip is having to deal with setting time aside to charge the vehicle when I could get gas in 5 minutes.
SamirD likes this.
Old May 1, 2024, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I'd say your experience is not the norm then, nor reflective of what Hertz is getting for feedback from renters who are actively avoiding EVs due to not wanting to deal with trying to charge the vehicle. If you aren't using a Tesla supercharger, it does take hours to recharge so you have to leave the vehicle on a charger overnight... hence the negative pushback from Hertz customers especially business travelers and the reason why Hertz is abandoning their EV fleet plans and divesting of the vehicles.
Last thing I want to do on a business trip is having to deal with setting time aside to charge the vehicle when I could get gas in 5 minutes.
Have you ever rented an EV? I think nt.
Old May 1, 2024, 10:49 am

Hours? Wow tell me you know nothing about EVs without telling me
Xyzzy likes this.
Old May 1, 2024, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Have you ever rented an EV? I think nt.
Yes I have several times. No issue with the Tesla as long as there is a supercharger. If its connected to a 'normal' 7~11kW 220v parking lot/street charger then yes it takes hours/overnight if you want to charge it. Same experience with cars using CSS - if you find a high speed 150kW DC charging station then you can charge fairly quickly in 20~30 min or so. If there isn't a rapid charger in the area then you are out of luck and you're stuck on the slow mode.

For my usage on business trips, I found the availability of high speed charging stations unacceptable and the slow AC chargers in inconvenient locations. As I mentioned, I'm not going to drive to find a station and sit there and then drive back to my hotel and end up wasting upwards of 2+ hours when I am on a work trip with a tight schedule.
Even on vacation, the 'novelty' wore off quickly when we had to sit with a car full of people and wait 30 min to get enough charge for planned activities.
SamirD likes this.
Old May 2, 2024, 5:48 am

Programs: SJ, SAS, DL
A big part of the problem here is that renters more experienced with fossil cars expect to "brim" the car just like they would with gas. Don't bother. Trust the navigation, and charge only what you need + 5% or 10%. So many fast chargers are blocked by people who go fast from 20-80% but then waste time crawling up the flat part of the charging curve from 85-100%.
Xyzzy, Auto Enthusiast and SamirD like this.
Old May 2, 2024, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jamesbrownontheroad
A big part of the problem here is that renters more experienced with fossil cars expect to "brim" the car just like they would with gas. Don't bother. Trust the navigation, and charge only what you need + 5% or 10%. So many fast chargers are blocked by people who go fast from 20-80% but then waste time crawling up the flat part of the charging curve from 85-100%.
So true.

However, Hertz exacerbates this situation by requiring EV to be returned within 5% of pick up charge level. I have picked up Hertz EVs at 100% and had to charge up to 100% at a nearby charger before returning. The previous Hertz rule of 75% return charge was much more reasonable.
rylan, Auto Enthusiast and SamirD like this.
Old May 2, 2024, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by TerryK
So true.

However, Hertz exacerbates this situation by requiring EV to be returned within 5% of pick up charge level. I have picked up Hertz EVs at 100% and had to charge up to 100% at a nearby charger before returning. The previous Hertz rule of 75% return charge was much more reasonable.
ive been renting at Sixt in EU lately and they dont require charge on return.
SamirD likes this.
Old May 2, 2024, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yup that is a lot of the problem... and in fact the current Hertz T&Cs for EVs (at least in the US) are that you must return the car at no lower charge level that you received it, or you can be hit with a charging fee. There is no 5% grace margin per the terms so a location can technically hit you for the fee if you're just 1% low.
Auto Enthusiast and SamirD like this.
Old May 6, 2024, 5:38 pm
jmw

Originally Posted by ord_is_home
That’s what I thought too, until I got to ATL last night (around 7:30PM) with a Model 3 reservation… “We’re all out of Teslas” is what they told me. So I took a Polestar instead, the lady at the Gold Desk telling me “it’s the same rate as the Tesla.” I wasn’t expecting a smooth experience, ATL being renowned as being a (how to put it politely)… problematic station, but I’m happy with the Polestar so far. Now I have to figure out how/where to charge it (thank you PlugShare app).
I am finding it is impossible to book a Tesla anymore. Autoslash doesn't return any output when I request a Model 3. My local HLE used to have boatloads of them and they are no longer available. Are others seeing the same thing?

I'm betting 50/50 I will show up at another HLE in a few weeks and the Tesla I booked will not be there. Or does Hertz have so few Teslas left that they are all booked out?
ord_is_home and SamirD like this.
Old May 6, 2024, 5:59 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by jmw
I am finding it is impossible to book a Tesla anymore. Autoslash doesn't return any output when I request a Model 3. My local HLE used to have boatloads of them and they are no longer available. Are others seeing the same thing?

I'm betting 50/50 I will show up at another HLE in a few weeks and the Tesla I booked will not be there. Or does Hertz have so few Teslas left that they are all booked out?
This aligns with the many news reports that Hertz is selling off the majority of theit EV fleet en masse due to higher costs and lower demand.
Old May 12, 2024, 7:59 am

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT (2 MM); Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by jmw

Yes, it looks like the inventory is being reduced as we speak. I’m in the middle of a trip through the USA, and at ATL they didn’t get me the M3 I reserved (took a Polestar instead), at ORD I got one and saw many rolling around in the lot, and at CLE I got the Model 3 but the location manager said “you’re lucky you got this, we’re getting rid of ‘em.” Oh, this car has no J-1772 adapter, is dirty, and the headliner is detached from the body and sagging. So at least for now, you can go to Chicago and still rent one — in fairly good condition. YMMV at other locations…

Sadly (for me, I’ve loved renting and driving these things), the EV rental experience appears to be coming to a close.
SamirD likes this.
Old May 12, 2024, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by ord_is_home
Sadly (for me, Ive loved renting and driving these things), the EV rental experience appears to be coming to a close.
Two steps backwards basicly...
SamirD likes this.
Old May 16, 2024, 11:23 pm
jmw

Originally Posted by AutoSlash
This aligns with the many news reports that Hertz is selling off the majority of theit EV fleet en masse due to higher costs and lower demand.
My Tesla booking was cancelled by Hertz. Yup, stick a fork in it.

Looking back at the past two years with a dozen Tesla rentals, I did thoroughly enjoy the various Hertz Tesla cars and the free supercharging glitch Hertz never charged me for early last year. That glitch was great for my pocketbook. They didn't catch all of my free supercharging. Am I going to buy a Tesla anytime soon? Nope. I have previous and current experience with an old used Nissan Leaf EV that I still use today for the city commute. Road trips are with a gas rental or my gas car.
rylan, xienon and SamirD like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.