Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Renting an Electric Vehicle / EV / Tesla from Hertz

Old Aug 7, 2023, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dayone
It is not uncommon to see an EV as the cheapest (or only) car offered by Hertz, so there will be questions. This Wikipost is currently focused on rentals in the US.

Hertz policies for recharging:
https://hertz.ltschat.com/terms-conditions/?rentaldate=2024-03-02 (change the date as you see fit)

Return the EV with the same level of battery charge as at the time of pick-up to avoid a fee. If You return the EV with less battery charge than the charge level as at the time of pick-up, You will be charged an EV Battery Recharge fee of $35.00 (non-member) / ($25.00 member).

Furthermore: "Battery charging limit on an EV should be set at 80% maximum."

Tips:
-The second clause basically allows you to pick up a car at 100% and return it at 80%. Hertz does not honor this language. Ignore the 80% bit in the terms. Or be ready to fight about it.
-The $25 "member" rate is discretionary and not hard coded; make sure to ask for it specifically or get it adjusted after the return.
-The % at pick-up is often wrong; you will want to verify it at the gate a couple of times.
-Some on here report a 5% leeway, but this is not in the terms anywhere.
-Hyundai Ioniq or the Kia equivalent will charge 4x as fast via CCS as a Chevrolet.
-The refuel fee is taxable so it will end up being about ~25% more than you might suspect. At 60 cents a kwh (Electrify America) and a $35 refuel fee ($25 + tax), the break even is 58 kwh. If you can pick up a 77 kwh battery Hyundai and run it down to 19 kwh, you should NOT recharge it.

EV types bookable with/carried by Hertz (including internal car classification group code and travel agency ACRISS code) (This list is incomplete.)
Tesla Model 3 - Group E7 - JCAE
Tesla Model 3 Long Range - Group E8 - JCAC
Tesla Model Y - Group E9 - RFAC
Polestar 2 - Group C4 - JDAE
Kira Niro EV or Chevy Bolt EUV - Group E1 - IFAC
Kia EV6 - Group L8 - SGAC
Subaru Solterra - Group L7 - SGAE
Volvo C40 - Group C3 - JFAC
Manager's EV Special - Group C6 - XXAE (location's choice of EV)
Manager's Special - Group A6 - XXAR (location's choice of any car, can include EV)
Also carried: Chevy Bolt EV (not reservable but often used as Manager's EV Special?)

Print Wikipost

Renting an Electric Vehicle / EV / Tesla from Hertz

Old Apr 24, 2024, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
That Hertz article linked abve was very interesting. I've seen discussions of the maintenance costs of EVs vs. ICE vehicles, and this paragraph seems to explain why Hertz had such a bad experience with its fleet of Tesla vehicles:
Teslas were indeed cheaper to maintain than a traditional car, as Wagner and O’Hara predicted in their financial models. The problem was how often they crashed. Newbie Tesla drivers who weren’t used to the car’s instantaneous acceleration and immediate braking were running into obstacles or getting rear-ended, sometimes even before they left the rental lot. Hertz’s Teslas got into accidents four times more often than the company’s other vehicles. Unlike major automakers, Tesla doesn’t have an extensive network of franchised dealers to help with service and repair, leaving owners subject to the company’s availability and schedule. Some of Hertz’s Teslas were idled for extended periods as a result. “They couldn’t get parts, even simple things like an outside mirror,” says Alex Rojas, the business agent representing Hertz workers for Teamsters Local 222 in Salt Lake City. “They just sat there for weeks not getting rented and not making money.”
Auto Enthusiast and SamirD like this.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 10:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
That Hertz article linked abve was very interesting. I've seen discussions of the maintenance costs of EVs vs. ICE vehicles, and this paragraph seems to explain why Hertz had such a bad experience with its fleet of Tesla vehicles:
Very interesting given people test drive Teslas at their sales centers all the time - in fact more Teslas are test driven than Hertz rented a Tesla in a given day. Yet, the test driven cars rarely crash in contrast with the Hertz cars. Also is there data on Hertz's experience with non-Tesla EVs vs Tesla EVs? Are those cars, like the EQB250 I rented last week, also crash at the same rate?

I think that says more about the incompetency of Hertz's customers vs the usefulness of EVs.
xienon and SamirD like this.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 10:53 am

In my experience if you book a Tesla you will get a Tesla. LR and SR have their own booking groups
SamirD likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 10:59 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Very interesting given people test drive Teslas at their sales centers all the time - in fact more Teslas are test driven than Hertz rented a Tesla in a given day. Yet, the test driven cars rarely crash in contrast with the Hertz cars. Also is there data on Hertz's experience with non-Tesla EVs vs Tesla EVs? Are those cars, like the EQB250 I rented last week, also crash at the same rate?

I think that says more about the incompetency of Hertz's customers vs the usefulness of EVs.
It's possible / likely that Tesla's salespeople do a better job of explaining the acceleration and braking to test drivers. Even when I was test driving hybrids with a comparatively "soft" auto-braking mode, the sales guy was like "this is going to feel a little strange but you'll get used to it" (which, of course, you do in about 5 minutes).

When I rented my first Hertz EV, there was no one there to explain it....but I had read enough to know that acceleration and braking were going to be different. So I just started out very carefully and got used to everything pretty quickly.

Maybe some Hertz renters have been living under a rock and not yet grasped that EVs drive a little different?
Xyzzy and SamirD like this.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 12:07 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, United
PSA - before driving off, take a photo of your charge level. I picked up a EQB 250+ at MCO. Gold desk told me it was 100%, but when we got in the car it was 50%. Took a few photos as proof.

We assumed the booth guy didn’t really know so I didn’t get it corrected at the exit, I should have. Charged to 100% at the hotel for free, returned with about 55% and was hit with a $25 fee.

Showed photos and charge was removed at the booth, but when the new receipt arrived later, it now had a $10 EV charge fee

Now I need to waste my time chasing after customer service to remove that charge.

Make sure you take photos and the charge levels agree at the exit booth to save a hassle.
You would think after years of having EVs in their fleet that these type of issues would be non-existent. But when 'error in your favor'....

Thank you for this data point. It helps me reaffirm to stay away from EV rentals for now.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.

Last edited by SamirD; Apr 24, 2024 at 12:12 pm
Old Apr 24, 2024, 5:18 pm

Programs: UA Plat, National Exec Elite
Hertz blamed a lot of the crashed Teslas on Uber drivers. For the life of me I can't understand why Hertz is so fond of renting to Uber drivers given the high mileage and driving in congested urban areas. Avis and Enterprise doesn't focus on rideshare.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by xienon
Hertz blamed a lot of the crashed Teslas on Uber drivers. For the life of me I can't understand why Hertz is so fond of renting to Uber drivers given the high mileage and driving in congested urban areas. Avis and Enterprise doesn't focus on rideshare.
Hertz was going to file for bankruptcy before they bought all the Teslas--I don't think they really know how to run a rental company.
rylan, Auto Enthusiast and xienon like this.
Old Apr 25, 2024, 8:45 pm

Programs: UA Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by SamirD
Hertz was going to file for bankruptcy before they bought all the Teslas--I don't think they really know how to run a rental company.
Given their earnings report today, it's pretty likely to happen again. They burned over $700 million of cash in the quarter and stock is -70% in a year.
rylan, Auto Enthusiast and SamirD like this.
Old Apr 25, 2024, 8:58 pm

Given their earnings report today, it's pretty likely to happen again. They burned over $700 million of cash in the quarter and stock is -70% in a year.
They can keep blaming the EVs all they want but Hertz is just a poorly managed company. Everyone has recovered nicely with the boom in travel but Hertz is bleeding. 588 million loss in depreciation with 198 of that being EVs. That means the entire car market is correcting

this just means expect rentals with 65000miles
Old Apr 25, 2024, 10:24 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by SamirD
They sure now know to arrest their own customers to blame for their own incompetence. I've now sent in two requests to get my $10 back, and not even the courtesy of a get-lost reply from Hertz.

Is this a feature of President's Club membership?
Old Apr 25, 2024, 11:42 pm

I've always heard that if you can do something consistently in the face of changing situations, then you are a professional. In the case of Hertz, professional what is the question, lol.

They sure now know to arrest their own customers to blame for their own incompetence. I've now sent in two requests to get my $10 back, and not even the courtesy of a get-lost reply from Hertz.

Is this a feature of President's Club membership?
You know who listens? Credit card companies. Chargebacks seem to be easier these days and companies seem to ignore the 'information in 72 hours' request from the cc so you get the whole rental back.
bocastephen and Xyzzy like this.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Apr 26, 2024 at 4:12 am Reason: consecutive posts merged
Old Apr 26, 2024, 6:08 am

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT (2 MM); Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by SBYGUY
In my experience if you book a Tesla you will get a Tesla. LR and SR have their own booking groups
That’s what I thought too, until I got to ATL last night (around 7:30PM) with a Model 3 reservation… “We’re all out of Teslas” is what they told me. So I took a Polestar instead, the lady at the Gold Desk telling me “it’s the same rate as the Tesla.” I wasn’t expecting a smooth experience, ATL being renowned as being a (how to put it politely)… problematic station, but I’m happy with the Polestar so far. Now I have to figure out how/where to charge it (thank you PlugShare app).
SamirD likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2024, 7:38 pm

I booked a Managers Special in EV in Portland earlier this month. Upon arrival, was directed to the Gold area...where it was a sea of Nissan Rogues and not an EV in sight. Cancelled the reservation and went to Avis for a Kia EV6.
Auto Enthusiast, xienon and SamirD like this.
Old Apr 30, 2024, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by ExManager
I booked a Managers Special in EV in Portland earlier this month. Upon arrival, was directed to the Gold area...where it was a sea of Nissan Rogues and not an EV in sight. Cancelled the reservation and went to Avis for a Kia EV6.
I would've considered that a win so you could pick whatever you wanted and not have to deal with spending hours charging an EV and getting hit with charge fees upon return for it being 2% lower than you left with... unless there was some particular reason you wanted one like to experience it for first time etc.
SamirD likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2024, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by rylan
I would've considered that a win so you could pick whatever you wanted and not have to deal with spending hours charging an EV and getting hit with charge fees upon return for it being 2% lower than you left with... unless there was some particular reason you wanted one like to experience it for first time etc.
I've rented EVs many times and have never had to spend hours waiting to charge or been surprised with unexpected fees showing up later. I experience is always just like with rental of a gasline powered vehicle.
jackal and SamirD like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.