Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Renting an Electric Vehicle / EV / Tesla from Hertz

Old Aug 7, 2023, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dayone
It is not uncommon to see an EV as the cheapest (or only) car offered by Hertz, so there will be questions. This Wikipost is currently focused on rentals in the US.

Hertz policies for recharging:
https://hertz.ltschat.com/terms-conditions/?rentaldate=2024-03-02 (change the date as you see fit)

Return the EV with the same level of battery charge as at the time of pick-up to avoid a fee. If You return the EV with less battery charge than the charge level as at the time of pick-up, You will be charged an EV Battery Recharge fee of $35.00 (non-member) / ($25.00 member).

Furthermore: "Battery charging limit on an EV should be set at 80% maximum."

Tips:
-The second clause basically allows you to pick up a car at 100% and return it at 80%. Hertz does not honor this language. Ignore the 80% bit in the terms. Or be ready to fight about it.
-The $25 "member" rate is discretionary and not hard coded; make sure to ask for it specifically or get it adjusted after the return.
-The % at pick-up is often wrong; you will want to verify it at the gate a couple of times.
-Some on here report a 5% leeway, but this is not in the terms anywhere.
-Hyundai Ioniq or the Kia equivalent will charge 4x as fast via CCS as a Chevrolet.
-The refuel fee is taxable so it will end up being about ~25% more than you might suspect. At 60 cents a kwh (Electrify America) and a $35 refuel fee ($25 + tax), the break even is 58 kwh. If you can pick up a 77 kwh battery Hyundai and run it down to 19 kwh, you should NOT recharge it.

EV types bookable with/carried by Hertz (including internal car classification group code and travel agency ACRISS code) (This list is incomplete.)
Tesla Model 3 - Group E7 - JCAE
Tesla Model 3 Long Range - Group E8 - JCAC
Tesla Model Y - Group E9 - RFAC
Polestar 2 - Group C4 - JDAE
Kira Niro EV or Chevy Bolt EUV - Group E1 - IFAC
Kia EV6 - Group L8 - SGAC
Subaru Solterra - Group L7 - SGAE
Volvo C40 - Group C3 - JFAC
Manager's EV Special - Group C6 - XXAE (location's choice of EV)
Manager's Special - Group A6 - XXAR (location's choice of any car, can include EV)
Also carried: Chevy Bolt EV (not reservable but often used as Manager's EV Special?)

Print Wikipost

Renting an Electric Vehicle / EV / Tesla from Hertz

Old Sep 22, 2022, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Hertz sent me emails with some “newbie info” about Teslas for my upcoming rentals. Actually very smart.

It includes a link with info about charging:

https://www.hertz.com/blog/electric-...ng-the-model-3

This page confirms the requirement to return the vehicle with at least 10% battery charge.
Auto Enthusiast and SamirD like this.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 2:36 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
This page confirms the requirement to return the vehicle with at least 10% battery charge.
This requirement seems to vary from location to location. I've been told 20% before, and I think someone else in this thread didn't have a requirement.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by SamirD
This requirement seems to vary from location to location. I've been told 20% before, and I think someone else in this thread didn't have a requirement.
Well, now you have an official reference on a Hertz website if some location gives you grief for < 20%.
SamirD, Ordpc and dennyzrh like this.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 4:19 pm

Well, now you have an official reference on a Hertz website if some location gives you grief for < 20%.
You can never argue with the person that has your cc info...at least not anymore these days.
dennyzrh likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 7:23 am

Programs: AY Plat, Swiss SEN, Hertz Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
I find interesting that there is no offical reference, how much charge the Tesla is at pick up. I heard several statements from Agents who says at least 50% or 30% or one who says that you will at least reach a near by SC…..

Especially when you heard about, how crowded SC in the LA area are be this can be important for your planing
notquiteaff and SamirD like this.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dennyzrh
I find interesting that there is no offical reference, how much charge the Tesla is at pick up. I heard several statements from Agents who says at least 50% or 30% or one who says that you will at least reach a near by SC…..

Especially when you heard about, how crowded SC in the LA area are be this can be important for your planing
Perhaps it depends on how long ago the vehicle came back from the previous rental? Still, a minimum percentage would be important. I’d think 50% would be good. Can you actually choose the specific vehicle (if they have multiple), or are they assigned?

Might be useful if people could report in this thread what charge they found when picking their rental, so we can get some idea of what it is on average.
SamirD and dennyzrh like this.
Old Sep 29, 2022, 1:43 am

I find interesting that there is no offical reference, how much charge the Tesla is at pick up. I heard several statements from Agents who says at least 50% or 30% or one who says that you will at least reach a near by SC..

Interesting. I called to make sure it came with some decent charge for my rental, which they said is 80%. I asked if I could have more and one person said yes and another no.

Perhaps it depends on how long ago the vehicle came back from the previous rental? Still, a minimum percentage would be important. Id think 50% would be good. Can you actually choose the specific vehicle (if they have multiple), or are they assigned?

Might be useful if people could report in this thread what charge they found when picking their rental, so we can get some idea of what it is on average.
I think this depends on the location as well as the rental. If it's coming back it to go right back out, I wouldn't think it would be fully charged unless there's a SC nearby. Otherwise it's roughly 10% per hour you can add using a 240v 30a circuit, so if it comes back with say 20%, the minimum on a quick turnaround would be 30% unless they have more of a fleet.

I've always gotten mine with roughly 80%.
dennyzrh likes this.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Sep 29, 2022 at 4:38 am Reason: consecutive posts merged
Old Sep 29, 2022, 7:27 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, Marriott Gold
For my last rental out of LAX during Labor Day weekend, the agent told me I had to wait around an hour since the vehicle was still charging. I arrived at Hertz around 40 minutes after my booked rental time, due to a late flight. I had a time-sensitive appointment to get to, but the agent insisted they had to fully charge it before they could let me have the car. A supervisor was called and said they could give it to me once it hit 80%.

30 minutes pass and I heard nothing, despite checking with the gold counter agent every 10 minutes or so. My persistence eventually paid off and was handed my rental agreement with stall number, over an hour after the time the rental was supposed to begin.

I get to the car in the lot (Model Y) only to find it's at a 55% charge.... arghhhhhhh. The car was also pretty dirty, both inside and out. It's pretty clear this car had just gotten back from a rental and they tried to turn it around quick.

I wrote a complaint to Hertz post-rental and received a pretty sad "oops, our bad" response a week later.

I've done 4 Tesla rentals so far...

Model 3 LR from LAX - given at 100% charge, returned at 25%
Model Y from LAS - given at 100% charge, returned at 10%
Model Y from LAX - given at 55% charge, returned at 15%
Model Y from SFO - given at 90% charge, returned at 70%

From what I can tell, Teslas seem to be increasingly popular for rentals and Hertz hasn't really mastered the turnaround process quite yet. They seem to treat them like a regular car that they do a quick clean and top off with fuel in 10 minutes and get back onto the rental lot. With an unpredictable charge level at time of return, they really need to assume the worst case scenario of a 10% charge and the appropriate time required to get that back up to 100%.
Old Sep 29, 2022, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by pmadden
For my last rental out of LAX during Labor Day weekend, the agent told me I had to wait around an hour since the vehicle was still charging. I arrived at Hertz around 40 minutes after my booked rental time, due to a late flight. I had a time-sensitive appointment to get to, but the agent insisted they had to fully charge it before they could let me have the car. A supervisor was called and said they could give it to me once it hit 80%.

30 minutes pass and I heard nothing, despite checking with the gold counter agent every 10 minutes or so. My persistence eventually paid off and was handed my rental agreement with stall number, over an hour after the time the rental was supposed to begin.

I get to the car in the lot (Model Y) only to find it's at a 55% charge.... arghhhhhhh. The car was also pretty dirty, both inside and out. It's pretty clear this car had just gotten back from a rental and they tried to turn it around quick.

I wrote a complaint to Hertz post-rental and received a pretty sad "oops, our bad" response a week later.

I've done 4 Tesla rentals so far...

Model 3 LR from LAX - given at 100% charge, returned at 25%
Model Y from LAS - given at 100% charge, returned at 10%
Model Y from LAX - given at 55% charge, returned at 15%
Model Y from SFO - given at 90% charge, returned at 70%

From what I can tell, Teslas seem to be increasingly popular for rentals and Hertz hasn't really mastered the turnaround process quite yet. They seem to treat them like a regular car that they do a quick clean and top off with fuel in 10 minutes and get back onto the rental lot. With an unpredictable charge level at time of return, they really need to assume the worst case scenario of a 10% charge and the appropriate time required to get that back up to 100%.
Thank you for the detailed data point. I can't believe they've still not gotten the hang of it by now. It's actually not rocket science to plan for the timing and they should have figured out this workflow from the get-go. But if they were nearly bankrupt renting regular cars...I guess we can't expect much out of them.
Old Sep 29, 2022, 12:17 pm

With a time sensitive schedule why not ask for a gas car at that point?
notquiteaff, SamirD and strickerj like this.
Old Sep 29, 2022, 12:30 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Honestly this is kind of what I expected. The Tesla rentals seem to be more ideal for day trips where the car is returned in the evening, recharged overnight, and then rented out again the next morning. Otherwise they'd need an excess of them to always have a fully charged one available while the recently returned ones recharge, and in their financial state, I can't imagine that happening.
Old Sep 30, 2022, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by strickerj
Honestly this is kind of what I expected. The Tesla rentals seem to be more ideal for day trips where the car is returned in the evening, recharged overnight, and then rented out again the next morning.
Or their busy Tesla rental locations need some faster chargers (Urban Superchargers, for example) in addition to the slower L2 or destination chargers,

https://www.tesla.com/blog/supercharging-cities

Looks like they’re working on some thing with BP Pulse.

https://www.engadget.com/hertz-bp-ev...175554402.html
Old Sep 30, 2022, 9:25 am

Programs: AY Plat, Swiss SEN, Hertz Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
With a time sensitive schedule why not ask for a gas car at that point?
thats for sure

In my case, we will pick up the Tesla MY at 8am on Nov. 28 (Monday after Thanksgiving) from Hertz LAX and so I hope for the Best and be prepare for the worst.
Old Sep 30, 2022, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My Tesla CCS adapter just arrived. Does anyone know if the US Hertz Teslas are CCS compatible?

(my personal MY is compatible, but due to parts shortages some vehicles actually built after mine are not and need a retrofit).
Old Sep 30, 2022, 1:16 pm

...hope for the Best and be prepare for the worst.
Can never go wrong with that strategy!
Ordpc and dennyzrh like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.