Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Renting an Electric Vehicle / EV / Tesla from Hertz

Old Aug 7, 2023, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dayone
It is not uncommon to see an EV as the cheapest (or only) car offered by Hertz, so there will be questions. This Wikipost is currently focused on rentals in the US.

Hertz policies for recharging:
https://hertz.ltschat.com/terms-conditions/?rentaldate=2024-03-02 (change the date as you see fit)

Return the EV with the same level of battery charge as at the time of pick-up to avoid a fee. If You return the EV with less battery charge than the charge level as at the time of pick-up, You will be charged an EV Battery Recharge fee of $35.00 (non-member) / ($25.00 member).

Furthermore: "Battery charging limit on an EV should be set at 80% maximum."

Tips:
-The second clause basically allows you to pick up a car at 100% and return it at 80%. Hertz does not honor this language. Ignore the 80% bit in the terms. Or be ready to fight about it.
-The $25 "member" rate is discretionary and not hard coded; make sure to ask for it specifically or get it adjusted after the return.
-The % at pick-up is often wrong; you will want to verify it at the gate a couple of times.
-Some on here report a 5% leeway, but this is not in the terms anywhere.
-Hyundai Ioniq or the Kia equivalent will charge 4x as fast via CCS as a Chevrolet.
-The refuel fee is taxable so it will end up being about ~25% more than you might suspect. At 60 cents a kwh (Electrify America) and a $35 refuel fee ($25 + tax), the break even is 58 kwh. If you can pick up a 77 kwh battery Hyundai and run it down to 19 kwh, you should NOT recharge it.

EV types bookable with/carried by Hertz (including internal car classification group code and travel agency ACRISS code) (This list is incomplete.)
Tesla Model 3 - Group E7 - JCAE
Tesla Model 3 Long Range - Group E8 - JCAC
Tesla Model Y - Group E9 - RFAC
Polestar 2 - Group C4 - JDAE
Kira Niro EV or Chevy Bolt EUV - Group E1 - IFAC
Kia EV6 - Group L8 - SGAC
Subaru Solterra - Group L7 - SGAE
Volvo C40 - Group C3 - JFAC
Manager's EV Special - Group C6 - XXAE (location's choice of EV)
Manager's Special - Group A6 - XXAR (location's choice of any car, can include EV)
Also carried: Chevy Bolt EV (not reservable but often used as Manager's EV Special?)

Print Wikipost

Renting an Electric Vehicle / EV / Tesla from Hertz

Old Nov 15, 2023, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVP, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Even in charger-dense SoCal you will find 25% of non-Tesla chargers out of order. No gracias.

https://www.wsj.com/tech/i-visited-o...hare_permalink
Auto Enthusiast and SamirD like this.
Old Nov 16, 2023, 3:11 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Even in charger-dense SoCal you will find 25% of non-Tesla chargers out of order. No gracias.

https://www.wsj.com/tech/i-visited-o...hare_permalink
Pay wall to read the article...:/
Auto Enthusiast and zdcatc12 like this.
Old Nov 17, 2023, 3:27 pm

just an FYI. picking up a Polestar 2 at PDX this weekend and this is the note they gave me about charging levels and fees:

Our EV Charging Policy: Return your EV at the same charge level as pick-up and pay $0. Or return your EV at any level for a $25 Recharge Fee.
the $25 is new to me, as it used to be $35. I may take advantage of it since the Polestar 2 is a little trickier to charge compared to the average Tesla; especially as charging above 80% (if necessary) can be slow going. Though maybe with a few CCS-1 DCFC handy near the Portland airport (EVgo and EA) it won't be so bad.

Originally Posted by SamirD
Pay wall to read the article...:/
WSJ has a companion video to this that is worth watching. Joanna Stern is always entertaining.

Joanna Stern
SamirD likes this.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Nov 30, 2023 at 6:53 pm Reason: consecutive posts merged
Old Nov 22, 2023, 10:18 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Do Presidents Circle one-class upgrades apply to EVs? I reserved a Chevy Bolt EUV (E1). The HLE location has Model 3 (E7-8), Model Y (E9) and Polestar (C4).
Old Nov 27, 2023, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by phelme
just an FYI. picking up a Polestar 2 at PDX this weekend and this is the note they gave me about charging levels and fees:

the $25 is new to me, as it used to be $35. I may take advantage of it since the Polestar 2 is a little trickier to charge compared to the average Tesla; especially as charging above 80% (if necessary) can be slow going. Though maybe with a few CCS-1 DCFC handy near the Portland airport (EVgo and EA) it won't be so bad.
I believe it's $35 for "normal" members and $25 for the fancy folks.
EDIflyer likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2023, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by whiskeyplease
I believe it's $35 for "normal" members and $25 for the fancy folks.
'fancy folks'?

FYI, just had a Kia EV6 at LAX. Was given the note about bringing back at same charging level, or $25 (I'm PC). Went out at 84%, brought back at 87%, so seems to have worked out for me. Charging was a bit of a PITA....in Long Beach and found 2 inop chargers before I was able to get the 3rd working. Cost me slightly under $15.00 to charge from ~44% to full at a fast charger...so less than had I brought it back without charging, and guesstimating at my mileage, probably would have been about 50-60% more to fill up with gas if I had a midsize('ish) or small SUV gas vehicle, though obviously, is easier and faster to fill up.

Car itself took a little getting used to (first time driving an EV), but overall ended up pretty well.
Old Nov 28, 2023, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by phelme

"Our EV Charging Policy: Return your EV at the same charge level as pick-up and pay $0. Or return your EV at any level for a $25 Recharge Fee."
Ah, so they've changed since August. Makes sense; the deal I got was great for me, but probably not so good for them. Thanks for the heads up.

Is that in fact the policy that was applied when you returned the car?
Old Nov 28, 2023, 4:01 pm

Programs: frontier Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Rare
Ah, so they've changed since August. Makes sense; the deal I got was great for me, but probably not so good for them. Thanks for the heads up.

What the leeway in percentage on this policy? I got a Tesla at DFW with 100%. Seems impossible to return at 100%.
Old Nov 29, 2023, 6:48 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by rhwbullhead
What the leeway in percentage on this policy? I got a Tesla at DFW with 100%. Seems impossible to return at 100%.
Originally Posted by Hertz Electric Vehicle Rental Terms
We ask you to return the EV with at least the same level of charge or 75% (whichever is lower). If you return the EV with a level of charge lower than this then we will recharge the EV for you. Recharging fees will apply and may be added to your invoice or billed separately
Old Nov 29, 2023, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by Rare

yep, I couldn't find the minimum percentage in my contract, someone recently said 75% in theirs, which seems reasonable. my Polestar 2 was given to me at 90% and I managed to return it around that level as an EVGo charger was not far away for topping-off and it cost me less than the $25 fee would have. I wasn't charged anything extra on the receipt.

FYI, Hertz PDX had a large number of Level 2 chargers on parking stalls which was good to see.

I really like the Polestar 2, more so than any of the Tesla 3's & Y's I've had from them.
Old Dec 2, 2023, 10:06 pm

It says gold members pay $25 for EV charging - is this still correct?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Dec 3, 2023 at 8:33 am Reason: moved question into existing thread where this has been asked and answered
Old Dec 12, 2023, 3:40 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Plat+, FoundersCard, Amex Plat, TR Diamond, Marriott Gold, Wyndham Dia, HH Gold, Hertz 5*
I'm renting a Polestar 2 in Southern California for a week (starting tomorrow). What charging networks can I use besides "Electrify America"? Is there a way to find all charge locations through an app or through the onboard google touch screen?
Old Dec 12, 2023, 3:50 pm

Was in Toulouse last week and booked a Fiat 500e. Upgraded to a Polestar 2.. when I asked about the Fiat which they had she said it was automatic upgrade and I could take the 500e but it was the smaller battery version. Ended up just keeping the Polestar 2

EDIflyer likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2023, 7:27 pm
jxd

Anyone knows the policy for returning an EV in the UK?

(On the mobile app)
In my booking confirmation's terms & Conditions, it says there will be a EV recharge fee of $35 (Non-member)/$25 (member) if the EV is returned below the charge on pick-up.

(On the desktop version)
Hertz will record the vehicle battery charge at the start of the rental. Failure to return the vehicle in the same state of charge as at pick-up will result in a recharging fee for the missing kWh. The per kWh fee changes from time to time with energy price adjustments but the current per kWh fee amount is available at the pick-up location.

So which is it?

Last edited by jxd; Dec 12, 2023 at 7:45 pm
Old Dec 12, 2023, 7:40 pm

Iím convinced it made up as they go along the EV charging.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.