Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Renting an Electric Vehicle / EV / Tesla from Hertz

Old Aug 7, 2023, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dayone
It is not uncommon to see an EV as the cheapest (or only) car offered by Hertz, so there will be questions. This Wikipost is currently focused on rentals in the US.

Hertz policies for recharging:
https://hertz.ltschat.com/terms-conditions/?rentaldate=2024-03-02 (change the date as you see fit)

Return the EV with the same level of battery charge as at the time of pick-up to avoid a fee. If You return the EV with less battery charge than the charge level as at the time of pick-up, You will be charged an EV Battery Recharge fee of $35.00 (non-member) / ($25.00 member).

Furthermore: "Battery charging limit on an EV should be set at 80% maximum."

Tips:
-The second clause basically allows you to pick up a car at 100% and return it at 80%. Hertz does not honor this language. Ignore the 80% bit in the terms. Or be ready to fight about it.
-The $25 "member" rate is discretionary and not hard coded; make sure to ask for it specifically or get it adjusted after the return.
-The % at pick-up is often wrong; you will want to verify it at the gate a couple of times.
-Some on here report a 5% leeway, but this is not in the terms anywhere.
-Hyundai Ioniq or the Kia equivalent will charge 4x as fast via CCS as a Chevrolet.
-The refuel fee is taxable so it will end up being about ~25% more than you might suspect. At 60 cents a kwh (Electrify America) and a $35 refuel fee ($25 + tax), the break even is 58 kwh. If you can pick up a 77 kwh battery Hyundai and run it down to 19 kwh, you should NOT recharge it.

EV types bookable with/carried by Hertz (including internal car classification group code and travel agency ACRISS code) (This list is incomplete.)
Tesla Model 3 - Group E7 - JCAE
Tesla Model 3 Long Range - Group E8 - JCAC
Tesla Model Y - Group E9 - RFAC
Polestar 2 - Group C4 - JDAE
Kira Niro EV or Chevy Bolt EUV - Group E1 - IFAC
Kia EV6 - Group L8 - SGAC
Subaru Solterra - Group L7 - SGAE
Volvo C40 - Group C3 - JFAC
Manager's EV Special - Group C6 - XXAE (location's choice of EV)
Manager's Special - Group A6 - XXAR (location's choice of any car, can include EV)
Also carried: Chevy Bolt EV (not reservable but often used as Manager's EV Special?)

Print Wikipost

Renting an Electric Vehicle / EV / Tesla from Hertz

Old Mar 27, 2024, 10:14 am

Im going to try Sixt for a BMW iX rental on friday in GVA. I emailed the branch and they confirmed i can bring it back at any level with no charge
SamirD likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 10:54 am

The Sixt EV rental experience was top notch. I picked up a BMW iX40 in Geneva. At check in i was asked if i had rented and EV from them before to which i said no but already own ev etc

I was given a Charge card with the key and said I should download the Tesla app as well for charging (already have) because it would be easy and cheapest.

Once in the lot the attendant came out and showed us where the charge cables were, how to plug in, set charge limits etc. Also advised us that temperature and speed effect range. She was very enthusiastic about it and even said if we were unsure we could switch to gas car. I said no its not my first time. Sixt sent them for training

To me the biggest difference was Sixt actually had charging installed at the airport and EVs made up a small % of the fleet. Not forced upon you but to me if it was forced or only option they tried to make it easy for you

The biggest factor for me was there was no charge limit on return. Bring it back at what you want, no charging fee on drop off.

Old Apr 3, 2024, 6:36 pm

Programs: UA Plat, National Exec Elite
Bloomberg has a nice long article on the architect of the Hertz EV strategy. Bloomberg claims it was the idea of Tom Wagner, the majority equity owner of Hertz who drank the EV koolaid.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...epage-americas

If you get paywalled, use this link: https://archive.ph/uyTuG
Auto Enthusiast, SamirD and m907 like this.
Old Apr 4, 2024, 3:09 am

Originally Posted by xienon
Bloomberg has a nice long article on the architect of the Hertz EV strategy. Bloomberg claims it was the idea of Tom Wagner, the majority equity owner of Hertz who drank the EV koolaid.

too much too fast vs a gradual rollout. They only got Tesla app connectivity working about a 1.5 years working after the rollout. That was a great read
xienon and SamirD like this.
Old Apr 14, 2024, 1:10 pm

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
I m renting a EV with Hertz for the first time in the US, as a German I have no clue how the charging system works over there, do I need a certain app or so, or is a credit card just good for charging?
SamirD likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2024, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Ed Size
I m renting a EV with Hertz for the first time in the US, as a German I have no clue how the charging system works over there, do I need a certain app or so, or is a credit card just good for charging?
Depends which kind of EV.

The answer is also nuanced and slightly complicated with the availability of adapters, but those largely don't apply to rental cars.

Fast-charging a Tesla: If you reserved a Tesla, then you will almost certainly get a Tesla, and the charging is very simple. Teslas can only be fast-charged at Tesla Superchargers (since they use a unique connector, called NACS). However, Tesla Superchargers are by a large margin the most abundant chargers across the US, and no app or card is necessary (or useful): simply plug your car into a Supercharger and it will start charging. Hertz will bill you for your charging costs at or shortly after you return the car. It's quite simple and works well.

Slow-charging a Tesla: Some slow-charging stations ("Tesla Destination Chargers") use the Tesla/NACS plug and can natively be plugged into the Tesla. Most slow-charging stations at grocery stores, hotels, etc., will likely be the J1772 standard. Hertz is supposed to provide a NACS-J1772 adapter with every Tesla, but they're small, plastic adapters and easily misplaced. Be sure to check your Tesla for one and if it isn't present, ask for one or go around the lot and pilfer one from another Tesla.

Fast-charging anything else: If you reserve or receive anything else (e.g. Bolt, Polestar, etc.), then your EV will come with a CCS1 connector (slightly different than the CCS2 connector you may be used to in Europe). CCS vehicles can only be charged at CCS chargers (not Tesla, for now, at least). There are several large CCS charging network operators around the US. The largest and most common ones you'll encounter are Electrify America, EVgo, and ChargePoint, but there are a couple dozen others, the most prominent of which would be Francis Energy (mostly in the Midwest) and Shell Recharge. Most of those operators and locations have credit card terminals, but they don't always work, and sometimes using the app offers a slightly lower rate than using the credit card terminal. If you'll have limited cell phone data, you might want to pre-download at least the apps for those networks before encountering those chargers in the wild. The geographical footprint for CCS chargers as a whole (across all networks) is loosely comparable to Tesla's network, but there are a few more holes, especially in rural areas, and the reliability of CCS charging networks has been...iffy, so don't plan to arrive at the only CCS charger within 50 miles with 3% battery left.

Slow-charging anything else: the CCS1 port is natively compatible with J1772 chargers, so most slow chargers will work without an adapter. You won't be able to charge at Tesla Destination Chargers, but those are comparatively rare (and usually collocated with J1772 chargers in most places).

Aside from Google Maps, which now supports showing EV charging locations, two other apps are not necessary but may be useful for your plans (and both work worldwide):
  • PlugShare, a comprehensive crowdsourced map/database of every charger on the planet. Great to find chargers, read recent check-ins/reviews to ensure the charger is functioning, check charging prices, etc.
  • A Better Route Planner (ABRP), a useful mapping/route planning tool especially for longer-distance drives that will help you choose where to charge to ensure you make it to your destination. (Tesla's built-in nav system works pretty seamlessly to accomplish this, but the interface in non-Tesla cars often leaves something to be desired, so ABRP can be a useful tool especially when renting a non-Tesla.)
Rare, Xyzzy, jmw and 3 others like this.
Old Apr 14, 2024, 7:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
PSA - before driving off, take a photo of your charge level. I picked up a EQB 250+ at MCO. Gold desk told me it was 100%, but when we got in the car it was 50%. Took a few photos as proof.

We assumed the booth guy didnít really know so I didnít get it corrected at the exit, I should have. Charged to 100% at the hotel for free, returned with about 55% and was hit with a $25 fee.

Showed photos and charge was removed at the booth, but when the new receipt arrived later, it now had a $10 EV charge fee

Now I need to waste my time chasing after customer service to remove that charge.

Make sure you take photos and the charge levels agree at the exit booth to save a hassle.
Auto Enthusiast, xienon and SamirD like this.
Old Apr 17, 2024, 7:01 pm
jmw

Originally Posted by jackal
Fast-charging anything else: If you reserve or receive anything else (e.g. Bolt, Polestar, etc.), then your EV will come with a CCS1 connector (slightly different than the CCS2 connector you may be used to in Europe). CCS vehicles can only be charged at CCS chargers (not Tesla, for now, at least). There are several large CCS charging network operators around the US. The largest and most common ones you'll encounter are Electrify America, EVgo, and ChargePoint, but there are a couple dozen others, the most prominent of which would be Francis Energy (mostly in the Midwest) and Shell Recharge. Most of those operators and locations have credit card terminals, but they don't always work, and sometimes using the app offers a slightly lower rate than using the credit card terminal. If you'll have limited cell phone data, you might want to pre-download at least the apps for those networks before encountering those chargers in the wild. The geographical footprint for CCS chargers as a whole (across all networks) is loosely comparable to Tesla's network, but there are a few more holes, especially in rural areas, and the reliability of CCS charging networks has been...iffy, so don't plan to arrive at the only CCS charger within 50 miles with 3% battery left.
Everything above is 100% accurate and thorough. Your whole post was 100% superb. But I will make a strong recommendation on CCS cars (CCS = EVs other than Tesla):

If you receive a Bolt, Polestar, any non-Tesla EV etc because you got the gas version of the Manager's Special, you walk back to the counter and ask for a Tesla or a gas car.

If you are on a business trip where time is of the essence, I would strongly advise you to avoid Tesla as well even though they have a great charging network.

If you booked an EV Manager's Special, you are stuck with the CCS EV. You will have a very hard time finding working CCS chargers and the lines will be long like 30 minutes to an hour wait or more even in EV friendly California.
Old Apr 18, 2024, 1:27 am

What kind of Model 3 will be available at Hertz (MIA)

Hi all, I'm planning a roadtrip to Florida (2 weeks, June 2024) and I'm considering to rent from Hertz a Tesla Model 3 (thanks to the very low price for 2 weeks). What model can I expect at Miarmi Airport rental? an "old" Model 3 (with thousands of miles on the odometer) or a new M3 Highland? thanks!
Old Apr 18, 2024, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by ga_pa
Hi all, I'm planning a roadtrip to Florida (2 weeks, June 2024) and I'm considering to rent from Hertz a Tesla Model 3 (thanks to the very low price for 2 weeks). What model can I expect at Miarmi Airport rental? an "old" Model 3 (with thousands of miles on the odometer) or a new M3 Highland? thanks!
Given that Hertz is working to divest Teslas, I'd expect the former. I'm not sure if they've taken any new deliveries in recent months, but even if so, I'd be surprised if it was in any significant number.
Old Apr 18, 2024, 5:41 pm

Programs: UA Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by jackal
Given that Hertz is working to divest Teslas, I'd expect the former. I'm not sure if they've taken any new deliveries in recent months, but even if so, I'd be surprised if it was in any significant number.
Yeah, given that they gave up on the Tesla experiment at the end of last year, there's almost no chance they're buying the Highland.
SamirD likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2024, 8:12 am

Yeah, given that they gave up on the Tesla experiment at the end of last year, there's almost no chance they're buying the Highland.
thanks for the answers. In the meantime I doublechecked the prices, a category C (intermediate) car is priced slightly lower than a Tesla (E7), as a "President's Circle" customer I will be able to take advantage of the Ultimate Choice.
Auto Enthusiast and SamirD like this.
Old Apr 19, 2024, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by ga_pa
Yu can almost certainly expect a standard Model 3. I've rented these numerous times from Hertz with no problems whatsoever. And yes, most (all?) of the vehicles have had over 20k miles on them. Charging is actually quite convenient as Supercharger usage is rebilled by Hertz on a rather timely basis. Hertz has seemed to lower its rates for these quite considerably of late. I got one for $32/day all-in recently at a HLE location on the Amex Platinum rate.

Last edited by Xyzzy; Apr 19, 2024 at 11:28 am
Old Apr 19, 2024, 12:26 pm

Model 3 is the best rental you can get.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2024, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC

Thanks for the paywall free link. Great read!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.