Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 22, 2020, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Comprehensive Overview, With Questions and Answers:

https://www.gohawaii.com/travel-requirements

CURRENT POLICIES
  • JULY 8 - Fully vaccinated U.S. travelers flying domestically — including island residents returning home — will be allowed to bypass Hawaii’s quarantine and pre-travel restrictions, as long as they upload their vaccination records to the state’s Safe Travels website and arrive with a hard copy of their vaccinations records. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2044877-those-fully-vaccinated-anywhere-us-eligible-bypass-quarantine-july-8th-new-post.html
  • JUNE 15 - Fully vaccinated travelers who received the vaccine in Hawaii are now exempt from Safe Travels
  • JUNE 15 - Regardless of their vaccination status, travelers are allowed to fly between islands without having to take a COVID test or quarantine.
SAFE TRAVELS PROGRAM
  • AFTER JANUARY 3, 2022 The mandatory 5-day quarantine is required for all unvaccinated passengers (visitors and returning residents) arriving into the state of Hawaii.
  • Additionally, operations, including peer-to-peer platforms or sharing services, may not rent vehicles to any person who is subject to a 5-day traveler quarantine order unless an exemption is granted.
  • Travelers flying into Hawaii are required to register personal information into the Safe Travels application; the information will be used to aid officials in contacting travelers via phone, email, and SMS. It does *not* currently enable GPS-tracking of travelers via their mobile devices.
  • Travelers are exempt from the mandatory 5-day quarantine if testing is completed no more than 72 hours before the departure time of the final leg of your flight to Hawai‘i with proof of a negative result.
    • The state of Hawai‘i will ONLY accept Nucleic Acid Amplification Test (NAAT) from a certified Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendment (CLIA) lab test results from TRUSTED TESTING AND TRAVEL PARTNERS. A negative COVID-19 test result is required prior to departure to avoid quarantine in Hawai‘i.
    • If results are not available by time of arrival, quarantine necessary until test results received.
    • All travelers (returning residents and visitors) of all ages subject to pre-test requirement.
    • Individuals are responsible for testing costs.
    • Travelers (returning residents and visitors) are not able to test upon arrival in Hawaii because this is a pre-travel testing program.
    • No commercial COVID-19 NAAT testing will be provided upon arrival at the airport. Travelers without the pre-test will be in quarantine.
    • https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel-partners/
Data on where COVID-19 hotspots are in Hawaii: https://health.hawaii.gov/coronaviru...ion-in-hawaii/

List of Hotels that are currently closed:

https://www.gohawaii.com/special-alerts-information

For interisland travel:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2041823-interisland-travel-unrestricted-starting-june-15th.html

//TOPIC CHECK - STAY ON TOPIC//

Aloha - as a reminder to all, FT's rules specifically state: "FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting." FlyinHawaiian and I recognize that it is easy to intertwine political commentary with the policies advanced by politicians that affect travel to Hawaii. However, we ask that you keep in mind the nature of this Hawaii forum and focus your attention on the policies and their impact on travel to/from/within Hawaii. Commentary about Hawaii's politicians are off-topic, belong in the OMNI forum, and will be deleted if posted on this thread. We ask for your kokua and cooperation. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Mahalo,

slippahs, Hawaii forum co-moderator
Print Wikipost

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2021, 9:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
**URGENT** Testing Question-In Transit Now Major Delay

Hello...need some help as we cannot seem to find a solid answer. We tested Sunday late afternoon and were flying AA 119 DFW-OGG today (1:10 departure.) Delayed four times until at 10:30 this evening they delayed it 12 hours to 10:30 Thursday morning. We will be well out of the 72 hours-but on a delayed flight. I really don't want to test at DFW for $250 nor do I want a 10 day quarantine. Will our current tests be valid? TIA (BTW for the whole story on the delay(S) by AA on this flight, check out what I posted in the AA forum. I haven't experienced such incompetence by them before.)

Old Feb 24, 2021, 10:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Since this is a flight delay, not a cancellation, your tests should still be valid.
If you want greater peace of mind, I'd suggest calling the Safe Travels hotline at 800-464-2924 to confirm (they should be open until 10 PM HST).
IAD_flyer likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 10:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by aacar
Since this is a flight delay, not a cancellation, your tests should still be valid.
If you want greater peace of mind, I'd suggest calling the Safe Travels hotline at 800-464-2924 to confirm (they should be open until 10 PM HST).
Thanks. Just spoke to them-didn't expect them open after business hours. Should be good to go. I have documentation of the delay.
bluedemon211 and aquanine like this.
Old Feb 25, 2021, 6:27 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
Having just returned from 2 months in Hawaii and seen the # of travelers of all walks of life rise dramatically from Dec>Feb, I'm not terribly surprised that these sorts of stories are popping up. The system is certainly not broken (we actually felt it worked well and efficiently), but if I put myself in the shoes of, say, a non tech savvy leisure traveler, who hasn't traveled in well over a year, I could see how it might be confusing. This is not to excuse the passengers in question here, who i am sure think they did everything right, this is more the reality of increased numbers of travel to a place that really hasn't "relaxed" any travel rules since opening up last fall. More folks are going to get a wrong test, not get results in time, not realize what's expected of them with the travel web portal, think that they can talk (or bribe - which actually just happened) their way into the state, etc. And if you are literally sent back to the mainland because you can't or won't do the quarantine, of course these stories are going bubble up and all types of misguided blame will be shifted to the airlines, the state, the rules, COVID, etc.

The long and short of it is that everyone traveling to Hawaii needs to gauge their threshold for risk, their own abilities to follow rules/use technology, and their confidence in the systems in place before getting on a plane, reserving rental properties, etc. Unfortunately, winging it won't work and airlines are not stopping passengers from boarding on the mainland if they do not have all the correct paperwork/info uploaded in the correct timeframe. These things are going to happen and I'm just glad Hawaii is being consistent and standing firm on the rules.
Old Feb 25, 2021, 7:09 am

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
I have not pushed the details with my friends - but I sense they are owning their misadventures.... and yes, there are a lot of moving parts and details that can be unclear (look that the international travel rules - are we discussing 72 hours or 3 days?). Almost as function of our engagement with FT, we approach travel very differently........

unfortunately, this was removed from the UA forum - but I am somewhat intrigued that UA will always confirm that I have a valid passport and visa even before checking in - it is unclear why airlines are not taking a more proactive role in helping with some of this.
Old Feb 25, 2021, 7:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by mfirst
I have not pushed the details with my friends - but I sense they are owning their misadventures.... and yes, there are a lot of moving parts and details that can be unclear (look that the international travel rules - are we discussing 72 hours or 3 days?). Almost as function of our engagement with FT, we approach travel very differently........

unfortunately, this was removed from the UA forum - but I am somewhat intrigued that UA will always confirm that I have a valid passport and visa even before checking in - it is unclear why airlines are not taking a more proactive role in helping with some of this.
Because there is no requirement of a test to fly to HI. Period.

The issue has nothing to do with UA and everything to do with HI.
Old Feb 25, 2021, 7:50 am
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mfirst

Definitely! I wish airlines were more proactive on teaching me how to be an adult. All kidding aside, if they engage on FlyerTalk, they would have seen the numerous discussion on COVID travel restrictions/rules. Look at the bright side, at least their dollar spend meter went up on UA.
Old Feb 25, 2021, 10:42 am

Programs: AS 75K
Yeah, I got worried about this once and asked the same question. It's referenced somewhere in the fine print of the Safe Travels website. Basically, delays aren't your problem.
Old Feb 25, 2021, 3:47 pm

Programs: Former UA GS, demoted to lowly 1K MM
Looks like this flight did actually go out under its original flight number nearly 22 hours late, so in theory everyone's tests should still be valid on landing even past the 72 hour cutoff.

Can't even imagine the mess that would be created if a flight is significantly delayed and then subsequently cancelled. I was wondering how last weekend's ill fated United DEN-HNL flight was handled, since UA328 was technically cancelled after losing the engine, and the replacement flight operated under a new flight number.
mtofell likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2021, 6:12 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold, AA Ex Plat, SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally I was flying Sfo-ogg but due to a bunch of plane swaps (UA 777 PW) I decided to just fly from my home airport Lax
now doing Lax-HNL on UA then I have a separate tix HNL-OGG on HA
my dep from lax is 950am and then connect and depart HNL at 315pm for OGG
can I do my test 72 hrs from 950am or does it have to be 72 hrs from my 315pm HA dep ?

thanks
Old Feb 25, 2021, 9:50 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Originally Posted by cbrown5294
Originally I was flying Sfo-ogg but due to a bunch of plane swaps (UA 777 PW) I decided to just fly from my home airport Lax
now doing Lax-HNL on UA then I have a separate tix HNL-OGG on HA
my dep from lax is 950am and then connect and depart HNL at 315pm for OGG
can I do my test 72 hrs from 950am or does it have to be 72 hrs from my 315pm HA dep ?

thanks
72 hours from your 9:50 departure.
Old Feb 26, 2021, 3:35 am

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bikenski

Can't even imagine the mess that would be created if a flight is significantly delayed and then subsequently cancelled. I was wondering how last weekend's ill fated United DEN-HNL flight was handled, since UA328 was technically cancelled after losing the engine, and the replacement flight operated under a new flight number.
Due to maiand weather, the 72 hour period was temporarily expanded to 96 hours.
Old Feb 26, 2021, 4:20 pm

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
The 72 hour window is to the SCHEDULED departure time, not the actual/delayed time.

Also, our recent COVID tests showed that the sample was taken 3 hours before it was actually taken. This would have violated the 72 hour rule. Thanks to flyer talk, I knew that others had the same issue and it presented no problems. We had no problems with a test which appeared to be 74 hours before our scheduled departure. I suspect, but cannot prove, that the actual time tolerance is only measured in days, not hours.
Often1 likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2021, 11:48 pm

Programs: AA++
Hawaii - 'last leg' Covid test timing?

How will this work given I checked covid test needed to go to Maui from HNL?
​​Any experiences?
Old Feb 28, 2021, 6:15 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
This is covered in the following FAQ: https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel/faqs/

Q. My flight lands in Honolulu on O‘ahu but my final destination is one of the neighbor islands. Will I need to show my pre-test negative results QR code to airport personnel in Honolulu, or do this when I arrive on the neighbor island that is my final destination?

A. You will show your QR code to the airport screener upon arriving at Daniel K. Inouye International Airport in Honolulu. You will then be required to fill another Safe Travels Hawai‘i program application form that will apply to your trip from Honolulu to your final neighbor island destination airport. This would also be the process if you land on the island of Maui, Kaua‘i or the island of Hawai‘i first and transit to another island. Obtaining your QR code(s) for Hawaiʻi airport processing PRIOR TO departure will significantly reduce your arrival airport screening.

Travelers must upload negative COVID-19 test results to the Safe Travels Hawaii platform within 72 hours from the final leg of departure or print out the negative test result prior to departure and have it in hand on arrival to Hawai‘i in order to avoid the 10-day quarantine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.