Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 22, 2020, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Comprehensive Overview, With Questions and Answers:

https://www.gohawaii.com/travel-requirements

CURRENT POLICIES
  • JULY 8 - Fully vaccinated U.S. travelers flying domestically — including island residents returning home — will be allowed to bypass Hawaii’s quarantine and pre-travel restrictions, as long as they upload their vaccination records to the state’s Safe Travels website and arrive with a hard copy of their vaccinations records. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2044877-those-fully-vaccinated-anywhere-us-eligible-bypass-quarantine-july-8th-new-post.html
  • JUNE 15 - Fully vaccinated travelers who received the vaccine in Hawaii are now exempt from Safe Travels
  • JUNE 15 - Regardless of their vaccination status, travelers are allowed to fly between islands without having to take a COVID test or quarantine.
SAFE TRAVELS PROGRAM
  • AFTER JANUARY 3, 2022 The mandatory 5-day quarantine is required for all unvaccinated passengers (visitors and returning residents) arriving into the state of Hawaii.
  • Additionally, operations, including peer-to-peer platforms or sharing services, may not rent vehicles to any person who is subject to a 5-day traveler quarantine order unless an exemption is granted.
  • Travelers flying into Hawaii are required to register personal information into the Safe Travels application; the information will be used to aid officials in contacting travelers via phone, email, and SMS. It does *not* currently enable GPS-tracking of travelers via their mobile devices.
  • Travelers are exempt from the mandatory 5-day quarantine if testing is completed no more than 72 hours before the departure time of the final leg of your flight to Hawai‘i with proof of a negative result.
    • The state of Hawai‘i will ONLY accept Nucleic Acid Amplification Test (NAAT) from a certified Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendment (CLIA) lab test results from TRUSTED TESTING AND TRAVEL PARTNERS. A negative COVID-19 test result is required prior to departure to avoid quarantine in Hawai‘i.
    • If results are not available by time of arrival, quarantine necessary until test results received.
    • All travelers (returning residents and visitors) of all ages subject to pre-test requirement.
    • Individuals are responsible for testing costs.
    • Travelers (returning residents and visitors) are not able to test upon arrival in Hawaii because this is a pre-travel testing program.
    • No commercial COVID-19 NAAT testing will be provided upon arrival at the airport. Travelers without the pre-test will be in quarantine.
    • https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel-partners/
Data on where COVID-19 hotspots are in Hawaii: https://health.hawaii.gov/coronaviru...ion-in-hawaii/

List of Hotels that are currently closed:

https://www.gohawaii.com/special-alerts-information

For interisland travel:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2041823-interisland-travel-unrestricted-starting-june-15th.html

//TOPIC CHECK - STAY ON TOPIC//

Aloha - as a reminder to all, FT's rules specifically state: "FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting." FlyinHawaiian and I recognize that it is easy to intertwine political commentary with the policies advanced by politicians that affect travel to Hawaii. However, we ask that you keep in mind the nature of this Hawaii forum and focus your attention on the policies and their impact on travel to/from/within Hawaii. Commentary about Hawaii's politicians are off-topic, belong in the OMNI forum, and will be deleted if posted on this thread. We ask for your kokua and cooperation. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Mahalo,

slippahs, Hawaii forum co-moderator
Print Wikipost

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2021, 12:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Sounds as though your friends continue to look to blame someone other than themselves. It does not matter because the rules are clear and they chose to ignore them.

For the broader audience two items:

1. HI requires that one have in hand one's results before boarding or face quarantine. Those declining quarantine are returned to their origin. HI could care less in what cabin or what seats. Perhaps the lab they chose screwed up and perhaps they screwed up. It is immaterial. Until they had the test in hand, they should not have boarded and they, after all, knew that the test was not in hand.
2. The system is not a mess by any means. One may disagree with it and that is fine and it is perfectly understandable that a non-quarantine hotel might be somewhat miffed at the system because it is losing money. But, be assured that a mess it is not.

To be clear, this is not some OMNI/PR discussion of whether HI ought to impose these rules. It is a simple fact that they are there and that those seeking to travel there have a simple choice: abide by the rules or don't go. (I suppose there is a third choice, e.g. fly out and back).
Travelinangel likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 2:02 pm

Programs: Former UA GS, demoted to lowly 1K MM
There are reports in the Hawaii news pretty much every day about travelers arriving and either being unaware of the rules or thinking "Eh, it's Hawaii, brah. They're laid back. I'm sure it'll be fine." And this doesn't just apply to mainlanders. Inter-island travelers have also proven to be naive.

Short of an all-caps sign at every Hawaii departure gate saying "IF YOU BOARD THIS FLIGHT WITHOUT ALREADY HAVING RESULTS FROM AN APPROVED TESTING PARTNER, YOU WILL BE FORCED TO SPEND THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS AND BE STUCK STARING OUT THE WINDOW OF A HOTEL ROOM FOR 10 DAYS" I'm not sure what else can be done to make people aware of the importance of closely tracking and following the rules.

Granted the rules are constantly changing, and many aspects don't make logical sense, but such is the world we're living in now.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 2:12 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Although UA was the transport carrier, this is thread is about Hawaii and Hawaii COVID rules. We move to the Hawaii forum

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Feb 24, 2021, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Your friends should fly well-regarded charter. Very nice seats and their concierge will make sure they understand the requirements and have their documents in order for a wonderful trip. White glove service all around.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 2:27 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
Happened to my friend, flew Delta JFK > SLC > Hawaii (not sure the airport code).

They had a negative covid test but learned at the airport that hawaii required it be from an authorized location (Not the free ones the city of NY gives) so they took the test in T4 at JFK at 200 a pop (3 people) and boarded the flight to SLC with hopes that the test results would hit their phones before they boarded the plane in SLC for Hawaii. It didn't she and her family boarded the flight to hwaii anyway, not sure if Delta put up a fight, but when she arrived in Hawaii she had her results on her phone.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 2:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
DL has no reason to "put up a fight."

There is no requirement that one have a pre-departure negative test. It is simply that without one, one is subject to the fairly tough qauarantine regimen.
QT31415 and wrp96 like this.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by HWGeeks
...It didn't she and her family boarded the flight to hwaii anyway, not sure if Delta put up a fight, but when she arrived in Hawaii she had her results on her phone.
There's no point in confusing current or future passengers to Hawaii by providing an outdated experience.

To be clear (again) - the airlines do not require (and NEVER have required) a test to board their planes to Hawaii. Delta (nor United, nor AA, nor whoever) does not check for Covid tests prior to boarding, so Delta would not have "put up a fight". Not sure where you got the idea they would.

At one time, one could board a plane and get test results while in flight and show on landing in Hawaii, but those days are long gone. Hawaii currently (as of September 1, 2020) requires a negative test to be IN HAND prior to boarding the flight to avoid quarantine.

Let's not confuse people who may be traveling to Hawaii with information suggesting they can get away with something not conforming to the current rules. No one can currently show a negative test received in flight after boarding to avoid quarantine - one could do that prior to September of last year, but no longer.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Feb 24, 2021 at 2:54 pm
Old Feb 24, 2021, 4:57 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K (aka OWS)
Originally Posted by Often1
DL has no reason to "put up a fight."

There is no requirement that one have a pre-departure negative test. It is simply that without one, one is subject to the fairly tough qauarantine regimen.
absolutely correct. Am headed home to do a quick check of the house - have verified email for the Kauai health department that I do not need any pre-flight testing if planning to go straight home for a few days then return straight to the airport.

if I wasn’t fully vaccinated I would worry about potentially exposing people if I had the V.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 6:04 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
There's no point in confusing current or future passengers to Hawaii by providing an outdated experience.

To be clear (again) - the airlines do not require (and NEVER have required) a test to board their planes to Hawaii. Delta (nor United, nor AA, nor whoever) does not check for Covid tests prior to boarding, so Delta would not have "put up a fight". Not sure where you got the idea they would.

At one time, one could board a plane and get test results while in flight and show on landing in Hawaii, but those days are long gone. Hawaii currently (as of September 1, 2020) requires a negative test to be IN HAND prior to boarding the flight to avoid quarantine.

Let's not confuse people who may be traveling to Hawaii with information suggesting they can get away with something not conforming to the current rules. No one can currently show a negative test received in flight after boarding to avoid quarantine - one could do that prior to September of last year, but no longer.
It was last week and all she had to do was upload the PDF that was sent to her email up to the safe travels website and present the code when requested in Hwaii.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by mfirst
So, a very good friend of mine (who is a smart, reasonable, professional adult)
Hmmm ... not sure about any of those adjectives
Old Feb 24, 2021, 6:53 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by mfirst
She said they got tested locally in Denver on Sunday
... sounded like the results were not back in time to board (on tues)
This is the root of the problem - Flying out on Tuesday they should have taken their tests on Saturday. I've flown to Hawaii roughly a half dozen times since the test-out process started and I get my test within minutes of T-72 hours to avoid this exact situation. Kaiser has been generally good but I still want to give them as much time as I can. I won't pile on your friends anymore than the others here have done but if anyone is looking at heading to Hawaii read, read, read the rules and plan for the worst.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 7:05 pm

I just flew home from Maui yesterday and the whole system worked beautifully. It is definitely not broken, and I honestly do not know how anyone could miss the 2 options for arrival (either negative test or quarantine on arrival). I was bombarded with email from Alaska Airlines, the State of Hawaii and the hotel reiterating the requirements over and over again. It was very easy to follow the rules. I am glad to know from the OP that those who do not follow the rules are being caught and that there are consequences.

One tidbit I might add is that many hotels are requiring proof of a negative covid test to check in--preferably printed on paper. So if one is choosing the quarantine route, do not assume you can do so in a hotel.
economyplusfan likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 7:43 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by QT31415
absolutely correct. Am headed home to do a quick check of the house - have verified email for the Kauai health department that I do not need any pre-flight testing if planning to go straight home for a few days then return straight to the airport.

if I wasn’t fully vaccinated I would worry about potentially exposing people if I had the V.
You do know that you are required to stay at home in quarantine? What happens if your quick check of your house indicates you need to go to the hardware store to fix something?
Old Feb 24, 2021, 8:16 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
He can call a repairman if he finds something needs fixing. Might just have to be the price he has to pay for abiding by quarantine.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by HWGeeks
It was last week and all she had to do was upload the PDF that was sent to her email up to the safe travels website and present the code when requested in Hwaii.
Let's be clear on this. You can read it yourself - Hawaii requires a negative test within 3 days of departure time and receive that result before departure. The passenger does not need to upload it to the Hawaii Safe Travels site prior to departure, but it must have been received by the passenger prior to departure. If she does not show the valid test before departure, she must show it on arrival. If it was sitting in an e-mail, sure, she could show it on arrival and avoid quarantine.

Maybe there's a little confusion here - maybe your friend got the results before the flight, but did not upload it prior to departure. That is a common occurrence and presents no challenge to avoiding quarantine. I'm pretty sure she got her test results prior to departure if she avoided quarantine - maybe she didn't know it.

What I want to stress is that no one should be stating that a negative result received in flight is acceptable - it is not. Hundreds of people have been put into quarantine or opted to return to the mainland on return flights because they received the test results after departure. It is totally irresponsible to suggest one can expect to avoid quarantine by getting the results in flight. If one slips through somehow, that doesn't mean anyone else can expect the same.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Feb 24, 2021 at 9:28 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.