Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 22, 2020, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Comprehensive Overview, With Questions and Answers:

https://www.gohawaii.com/travel-requirements

CURRENT POLICIES
  • JULY 8 - Fully vaccinated U.S. travelers flying domestically — including island residents returning home — will be allowed to bypass Hawaii’s quarantine and pre-travel restrictions, as long as they upload their vaccination records to the state’s Safe Travels website and arrive with a hard copy of their vaccinations records. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2044877-those-fully-vaccinated-anywhere-us-eligible-bypass-quarantine-july-8th-new-post.html
  • JUNE 15 - Fully vaccinated travelers who received the vaccine in Hawaii are now exempt from Safe Travels
  • JUNE 15 - Regardless of their vaccination status, travelers are allowed to fly between islands without having to take a COVID test or quarantine.
SAFE TRAVELS PROGRAM
  • AFTER JANUARY 3, 2022 The mandatory 5-day quarantine is required for all unvaccinated passengers (visitors and returning residents) arriving into the state of Hawaii.
  • Additionally, operations, including peer-to-peer platforms or sharing services, may not rent vehicles to any person who is subject to a 5-day traveler quarantine order unless an exemption is granted.
  • Travelers flying into Hawaii are required to register personal information into the Safe Travels application; the information will be used to aid officials in contacting travelers via phone, email, and SMS. It does *not* currently enable GPS-tracking of travelers via their mobile devices.
  • Travelers are exempt from the mandatory 5-day quarantine if testing is completed no more than 72 hours before the departure time of the final leg of your flight to Hawai‘i with proof of a negative result.
    • The state of Hawai‘i will ONLY accept Nucleic Acid Amplification Test (NAAT) from a certified Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendment (CLIA) lab test results from TRUSTED TESTING AND TRAVEL PARTNERS. A negative COVID-19 test result is required prior to departure to avoid quarantine in Hawai‘i.
    • If results are not available by time of arrival, quarantine necessary until test results received.
    • All travelers (returning residents and visitors) of all ages subject to pre-test requirement.
    • Individuals are responsible for testing costs.
    • Travelers (returning residents and visitors) are not able to test upon arrival in Hawaii because this is a pre-travel testing program.
    • No commercial COVID-19 NAAT testing will be provided upon arrival at the airport. Travelers without the pre-test will be in quarantine.
    • https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel-partners/
Data on where COVID-19 hotspots are in Hawaii: https://health.hawaii.gov/coronaviru...ion-in-hawaii/

List of Hotels that are currently closed:

https://www.gohawaii.com/special-alerts-information

For interisland travel:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2041823-interisland-travel-unrestricted-starting-june-15th.html

//TOPIC CHECK - STAY ON TOPIC//

Aloha - as a reminder to all, FT's rules specifically state: "FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting." FlyinHawaiian and I recognize that it is easy to intertwine political commentary with the policies advanced by politicians that affect travel to Hawaii. However, we ask that you keep in mind the nature of this Hawaii forum and focus your attention on the policies and their impact on travel to/from/within Hawaii. Commentary about Hawaii's politicians are off-topic, belong in the OMNI forum, and will be deleted if posted on this thread. We ask for your kokua and cooperation. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Mahalo,

slippahs, Hawaii forum co-moderator
Print Wikipost

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2021, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold, AA Ex Plat, SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
Doing the same thing next week but still a bit confused about the 72 hr time frame from either my Lax dep or HNL dep to Maui
“72 hrs from the final leg of departure “
Old Feb 28, 2021, 4:38 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cbrown5294
Doing the same thing next week but still a bit confused about the 72 hr time frame from either my Lax dep or HNL dep to Maui
“72 hrs from the final leg of departure “
Its the final leg of the mainland/Hawaii departure that counts.
montreid and Bellerina like this.
Old Feb 28, 2021, 5:59 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K (aka OWS)
Originally Posted by 747FC
You do know that you are required to stay at home in quarantine? What happens if your quick check of your house indicates you need to go to the hardware store to fix something?
Yes. I do know this. As a previous poster said, there IS NO test requirement to fly to hawaii. Just a requirement to bypass quarantine. As a long time homeowner, I know almost to a T what needs to be done after months of absence and have things Amazon'd to the house in preparation. There is no vacation planned here, just much-needed maintenance and checkup.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Mar 1, 2021 at 4:54 am Reason: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/topic-check-reminder-stay-topic-851.html
Old Mar 1, 2021, 7:15 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
It is definitely confusing! So thanks for the advice. I was struggling with the same question. The safe travels thing is definitely confusing for this particular example.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 9:52 pm

Kauai Rejoing Safe Travels

The mayor has requested and the governor is approving to lift the additional quarantine requirements that Kauai had up above/beyond the rest of the state effective April 5.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 10:14 am
formerly wunderpit

Programs: UA1K-HHDiamond
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
The mayor has requested and the governor is approving to lift the additional quarantine requirements that Kauai had up above/beyond the rest of the state effective April 5.
Great news! Not to be a downer, but let's see what Spring Break does. I think it will be very busy with people shying away from Mexico, etc. now that testing is required to return.

Last edited by Weyland Yutani Corp; Mar 3, 2021 at 10:48 am Reason: bad spehling
Old Mar 3, 2021, 11:08 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
FYI We arrived with no issues even though we landed more than 23 hours late.

Originally Posted by bikenski
Looks like this flight did actually go out under its original flight number nearly 22 hours late, so in theory everyone's tests should still be valid on landing even past the 72 hour cutoff.

Can't even imagine the mess that would be created if a flight is significantly delayed and then subsequently cancelled. I was wondering how last weekend's ill fated United DEN-HNL flight was handled, since UA328 was technically cancelled after losing the engine, and the replacement flight operated under a new flight number.
We planned to re-test at DFW if we cancelled officially. Another layer to the mess would have been added.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Mar 3, 2021 at 12:00 pm Reason: consecutive posts merged
Old Mar 3, 2021, 11:15 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
This is why the Walgreens Abbott ID Now rapid test is the best bet if it’s available in your area. You can schedule the test at T-48 or even T-24 and have your results back within 2 hours which gives you wiggle room if you have a delay or last min change as the test will still be valid.
LIH Prem likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 3:10 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by dlaue
The 72 hour window is to the SCHEDULED departure time, not the actual/delayed time.

Also, our recent COVID tests showed that the sample was taken 3 hours before it was actually taken. This would have violated the 72 hour rule. Thanks to flyer talk, I knew that others had the same issue and it presented no problems. We had no problems with a test which appeared to be 74 hours before our scheduled departure. I suspect, but cannot prove, that the actual time tolerance is only measured in days, not hours.
I can prove it because my test results that I uploaded to the official website only showed day of test, not time of test. They accepted it.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 3:46 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond,
So doing SAN-HNL-OGG
What is considered 'last leg' to Hawaii? The SAN departure time or the HNL departure time?

I'm reading SAN departure into Hawaii; but cannot get a straight answer from Southwest.

Also; with the safe Hawaii entry

We have to enter BOTH:
SAN-HNL and departs 755AM SUNDAY
HNL-OGG and departs 115pm they say QR Code is needed for both

So does the COVID test in SAN need to be after 755AM Thursday or after 445PM SAN time Thursday?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Mar 4, 2021 at 3:41 am Reason: consecutive posts merged and appended to existing thread on this topic
Old Mar 3, 2021, 4:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
This is why the Walgreens Abbott ID Now rapid test is the best bet if it’s available in your area. You can schedule the test at T-48 or even T-24 and have your results back within 2 hours which gives you wiggle room if you have a delay or last min change as the test will still be valid.
We debated that. But we had a 3 hour round trip to get the ID NOW so had to do it on the weekend. I would have preferred T minus 48 as you suggested.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 8:53 am

Hello - I'd booked long ago to fly into HNL, depart to Kauai the next day, and then onto Maui 5 days later. Because of the testing requirements, I'm going to just stay in Maui the whole time instead. My inbound flight to HNL doesn't make sense to change, so I'm just going to book a separate ticket on Hawaiian Airlines HNL-OGG same day that I arrive HNL. How much time between flights do you think I need to allow for the arrival screening? We arrive HNL around 2pm. We plan on checking bags, so we'll need to do the arrival screening, collect/recheck bags, and then go back through security. We could probably not check bags if that's going to make this too much of a pain. I've never flown into HNL so not sure what to expect and definitely haven't flown in during Covid mitigation practices. I'm thinking a 5pm departure?
Old Mar 4, 2021, 9:12 am

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by manda99
Hello - I'd booked long ago to fly into HNL, depart to Kauai the next day, and then onto Maui 5 days later. Because of the testing requirements, I'm going to just stay in Maui the whole time instead. My inbound flight to HNL doesn't make sense to change, so I'm just going to book a separate ticket on Hawaiian Airlines HNL-OGG same day that I arrive HNL. How much time between flights do you think I need to allow for the arrival screening? We arrive HNL around 2pm. We plan on checking bags, so we'll need to do the arrival screening, collect/recheck bags, and then go back through security. We could probably not check bags if that's going to make this too much of a pain. I've never flown into HNL so not sure what to expect and definitely haven't flown in during Covid mitigation practices. I'm thinking a 5pm departure?
Does your airline for the flight into HNL have the wristband program? United and Alaska do and Hawaiian has some destinations on the mainland that you can get pre-cleared from. If your airline offers some type of pre-clear, you really don't need any additional time since you literally walk right past the people being screened.

I fly in/out of OGG all the time and am really not familiar with HNL but have read on here that it's similar. I see lines ranging from a few minutes to as much as 1.5 hours. I haven't seen the latter for a while since a good portion of people do the wristband pre-clear. A lot of it is just timing... if a couple wide-bodies land right before you it can be quite a wait.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by mtofell
Does your airline for the flight into HNL have the wristband program? United and Alaska do and Hawaiian has some destinations on the mainland that you can get pre-cleared from. If your airline offers some type of pre-clear, you really don't need any additional time since you literally walk right past the people being screened.

I fly in/out of OGG all the time and am really not familiar with HNL but have read on here that it's similar. I see lines ranging from a few minutes to as much as 1.5 hours. I haven't seen the latter for a while since a good portion of people do the wristband pre-clear. A lot of it is just timing... if a couple wide-bodies land right before you it can be quite a wait.
I'm flying United nonstop from ORD-HNL. I wasn't aware of the wristband thing? I'll go do some more research.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by montreid
So doing SAN-HNL-OGG
What is considered 'last leg' to Hawaii? The SAN departure time or the HNL departure time?

I'm reading SAN departure into Hawaii; but cannot get a straight answer from Southwest.

Also; with the safe Hawaii entry

We have to enter BOTH:
SAN-HNL and departs 755AM SUNDAY
HNL-OGG and departs 115pm they say QR Code is needed for both

So does the COVID test in SAN need to be after 755AM Thursday or after 445PM SAN time Thursday?
As long as its a same day connection, it is your mainland leg departure that counts.

If you were to overnight at HNL, that would trigger another test requirement unless you still has a valid test result that was still good within 72 hours of that interisland departure. But because you are simply connecting on the same day, the single test for your flight from the mainland works for both.
montreid, Often1 and mtofell like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.